Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

The Cheapest Roon Core Computer I could find

Since I underwent the plan to build a fresh stereo system in January 2018. I've pieced together my current system. One was a store demo (NAD M12). One was a used piece bought on Audiogon (Bryston 4BSST). And most are new. And a few are left over from my past endevores. The last piece of my puzzle is replacing my Home Theater personal computer. It's a big box with lots of Hardrives a gaming video card and noisy big fans and a power supply. It has been my music, movie and concert video storage device for years. I used JRivers as my playback software. And since I've migrated to streaming via Tital and Qobuz using Roon software and a IPad along with a flash drive connected to the Lumin T2. The Flash drive has my CD library stored on it for playback.

Now, the hard part. How to just have a Roon core computer that has no other purpose. No music or storage of any kind. No fans or noisy power supplies. Just the most simple basic computer that's sole purpose is to run 24/7 so I can stream my music. I've read and watched videos on just about ever option available at every price point. I even bought a HDPLex 200watt power supply and a ATX module to build a fanless computer for the purpose of a Roon Core computer. I've yet to find a case that suits me. I will but that's another project...

So, now my current Roon Core computer:

It's a Intel i7 Windows 10 pro 64bit, 8G ram, 256G SSD drive computer. Uses a 12V 3/5A 60 watt external power supply. It uses the aluminum case as a cooling device. It's about the size of a thick paper back book. And not much heavier. All for the whopping price of $309.00. I may upgrade the power supply at some point but it works just fine thank you. Bought on eBay and took nine days to deliver from China.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Speakers: Magico S3 (23')
    Integrated:Gryphon Diablo 300 plus DAC
    Streamer: HiFi Rose RS150b
    CD/DVD: Oppo 205
    Cables: Cardas-Shunyata-AudioQuest-Supra
    Roon Core: sonicTransporter i7 powered with HDPlex 200w linear PS, running AudioLinux for Roon--Tidal and Qobuz with iPad Pro

Time is just a tool humans created to measure movement and record events

Re: The Cheapest Roon Core Computer I could find

That mini PC looks great and for $309 it is a steal! it shows that there is no need to spend thousands for a dedicated computer to run Roon.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    That mini PC looks great and for $309 it is a steal! it shows that there is no need to spend thousands for a dedicated computer to run Roon.
    Unless you want to run DSP and have a better user experience. Sorry, I’ve tried some cheap ones...makes Roon run very slowly and buggy in my experience and most crapped out trying to do some DSP functions.

Would be curious how this one handles DSP and what the overall user experience is like.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Having Roon for almost a year now. I don't think I've ever jumped into messing with any of the functions of DSP on Roon. I keep things pretty simple I guess. I do the " I choose I play " approach. Maybe over time I will witness what Mike has experienced. So far things are running smooth.
    Roon Core: sonicTransporter i7 powered with HDPlex 200w linear PS, running AudioLinux for Roon--Tidal and Qobuz with iPad Pro

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
    Having Roon for almost a year now. I don't think I've ever jumped into messing with any of the functions of DSP on Roon. I keep things pretty simple I guess. I do the " I choose I play " approach. Maybe over time I will witness what Mike has experienced. So far things are running smooth.
    That’s cool. I posted some of my interesting DSP settings a while back. Try some if you get a chance.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Roon usually prefers a decent computer for a decent user experience. If you want to perform any kind of up-sampling a computer with decent power is a requirement. If you want to use the best of the best playback engine, HQPlayer, then a powerful computer is a requirement.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I built a dedicated desktop that I run headless and remote in with a tablet or laptop using windows remote desktop to control it. I bought a mid tower modular insulated Fractal quiet computer case and put in ultra quiet Noctua fans. No graphics card. Running M.2 SSD drives, so no cables. Also using a very low noise power supply. 16gb 3200mhz low latency ram and I7 7700K CPU. Ultra fast and ultra quiet. Built it for about $1K buying the parts on sale. It made a huge difference in sound quality over the dedicated high end laptop that I was using. It has 10tb of storage. 2tb on SSD's internally and an 8tb external drive.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

My needs were to have a computer powerful enough to upconvert to DSD256 from DSD64 in multichannel (5.1), using HQP with the filters that I found sounded best. I had one custom built. My builder thought that Roon was the most convenient for my needs. He consulted Jussi of HQP to determine what was necessary for the computing power. Turned out it was a quite powerful chip (CPU i7-6950X) which was quite expensive a couple of years ago and still is. It has 10 cores/20 threads (whatever that means). No hiccups or any issues, which I was constantly having with my previous computers. Total cost was much less than the DAC costs or the total cost of the files I play.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

Quote Originally Posted by astrotoy View Post
    My needs were to have a computer powerful enough to upconvert to DSD256 from DSD64 in multichannel (5.1), using HQP with the filters that I found sounded best. I had one custom built. My builder thought that Roon was the most convenient for my needs. He consulted Jussi of HQP to determine what was necessary for the computing power. Turned out it was a quite powerful chip (CPU i7-6950X) which was quite expensive a couple of years ago and still is. It has 10 cores/20 threads (whatever that means). No hiccups or any issues, which I was constantly having with my previous computers. Total cost was much less than the DAC costs or the total cost of the files I play.

Larry
    Which DAC do you use? How do you connect the computer to your DAC? HDMI?

My INTEL NUC, works just fine with Roon......but requires a good LPS......Keces in my case....
    I am not into DSP that much, but the few times I used some of Roons DSP capability’s ( EQ, etc.) have had zero issues with running Roon. The NUC, is very quiet, and the few times the fan has come on, I wasn’t even aware of it, until I shut off the system for the evening.
    Cheers....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: OWNER/PRESIDENT OF
    QUINTESSENCE ACOUSTICS
    www.quintessenceacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    Which DAC do you use? How do you connect the computer to your DAC? HDMI?
    For my mch files I use a Merging Technologies NADAC mch. It is an ethernet device which uses the Ravenna protocol - connecting my computer and NAS unit through a Smart switch. I use a different DAC for my stereo files, a Lampizator Pacific which is an HDMI device.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

A Roon core that "works" vs. one that actually sounds good are entirely different products.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsrule View Post
    A Roon core that "works" vs. one that actually sounds good are entirely different products.....
    Agree to some degree. But keep in mind that it is all in the mind of the user. If a basic Roon install (no fancy DSP, no DSD updampling, no HQP) is all one wants/needs, then a fancy/expensive computer is not necessary. I used to run Roon from an old iMac and it sounded good to me. I then "upgraded" to a PC that can run HQP and process all the fancy filters and upsample everything to DSD512. And while it sounds better than before, I still think that the previous (basic) set up sounded good.

Audioshark

Unless you're running USB off the Roon Core, there should be no sonic differences between Roon Cores. Roon states the same. However, if you're running USB off the Roon Core, then it's a different ball game.

I've been quite happy with the Roon Nucleus+ (core) plus the Lumin U1 (end point). It sounded best in my shootout.

If I was building one from scratch, I would be definitely using M.2 and not SSD's or HD's. M.2's are much much faster than SSD's and blow the doors off HD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Unless you're running USB off the Roon Core, there should be no sonic differences between Roon Cores. Roon states the same. However, if you're running USB off the Roon Core, then it's a different ball game.

I've been quite happy with the Roon Nucleus+ (core) plus the Lumin U1 (end point). It sounded best in my shootout.

If I was building one from scratch, I would be definitely using M.2 and not SSD's or HD's. M.2's are much much faster than SSD's and blow the doors off HD's.
    In my listening via ethernet this couldn't be farther from my results....everything matters.

Cores I've had (from worst to best):

Roon Nucleus+
    W10, 1TB ssd, 16gb ram (only running Roon)
    Above with trimmed down W10
    SGC STi7
    Above with KECES ps

Hi,

i use latest genaration mac mini (core i5, 8GB memory and 256SSD) to run roon core, all files are stored on NAS and connection to NAS and DAC\Streamer are done via CAT 7 wires.
    Since my DAC\Streamer (Cary DMS500) can do all converting and up sampling in real time domain i usually let it do the work, however from my experience i didn't encountered any issue running DSP or without DSP.

I'm curious about the quality of the USB output of the Roon Nucleus. I have trialed Roon using a laptop as the core and like the ease of use and the interface. I used a Bluesound Node 2 as the end point with coax out to my Marantz SA-10 DAC. If I get a Nucleus, I could eliminate the Node 2 by going directly to the DAC via USB. Any thoughts on the sound quality merits of this configuration?
    Morgan

NEW SYSTEM UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by MPW View Post
    I'm curious about the quality of the USB output of the Roon Nucleus. I have trialed Roon using a laptop as the core and like the ease of use and the interface. I used a Bluesound Node 2 as the end point with coax out to my Marantz SA-10 DAC. If I get a Nucleus, I could eliminate the Node 2 by going directly to the DAC via USB. Any thoughts on the sound quality merits of this configuration?
    It’s actually VERY good in our testing. I was quite surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see the logic of that Mike. The sole intent of this little box is just to run it as a Roon Core device. No USB, DSP or NAS sever etc. I do plan on building a more dedicated audio pc using my Craigslist ($250 ) HDPlex 200 watt power supply and the HDPlex 400W HIFI DC-ATX power supply. That project will probably be taken on when I see the right case and one of the newest Ryzen 5 motherboards catches my eye. The HDPlex company makes some very interesting cases to use with the HDPlex power supply. But, they are always sold out. I think other companies have first bids on them. But, small silent computers have been coming into there own lately. So, I can wait.

This was just to see if a cheap Chinese computer off of Ebay could work as a Roon Core device. The audio quality isn't coming from the small box computer. That's why I have the Lumin T2 and NAD M12 in the Network.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
    I can see the logic of that Mike. The sole intent of this little box is just to run it as a Roon Core device. No USB, DSP or NAS sever etc. I do plan on building a more dedicated audio pc using my Craigslist ($250 ) HDPlex 200 watt power supply and the HDPlex 400W HIFI DC-ATX power supply. That project will probably be taken on when I see the right case and one of the newest Ryzen 5 motherboards catches my eye. The HDPlex company makes some very interesting cases to use with the HDPlex power supply. But, they are always sold out. I think other companies have first bids on them. But, small silent computers have been coming into there own lately. So, I can wait.

This was just to see if a cheap Chinese computer off of Ebay could work as a Roon Core device. The audio quality isn't coming from the small box computer. That's why I have the Lumin T2 and NAD M12 in the Network.
    Roon (the company) has tested dozens of Roon Core’s for certification purposes. I speak with one of the founders regularly, he assures me, on Ethernet there is no sonic differences, it all has to do with “user experience” and processing capabilities for DSP. But it seems others have found there is a difference. So, who knows?

Roon (the company) has tested dozens of Roon Core’s for certification purposes. I speak with one of the founders regularly, he assures me, on Ethernet there is no sonic differences, it all has to do with “user experience” and processing capabilities for DSP. But it seems others have found there is a difference. So, who knows?

I believe the founder. The Cheapest Roon Core Computer I could find

M.2 is a SSD, the difference is the interface and connection. The M.2 attach similar to RAM chips while a 2.5" SSD uses the SATA bus and cables, therefore the M.2 usual specs faster. By the way, I agree although SSDs are usual fine. HDD and SSD can not be thought of in the same vain. Internally a 2.5" SSD and a M.2 are virtually identical.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    M.2 is a SSD, the difference is the interface and connection. The M.2 attach similar to RAM chips while a 2.5" SSD uses the SATA bus and cables, therefore the M.2 usual specs faster. By the way, I agree although SSDs are usual fine. HDD and SSD can not be thought of in the same vain. Internally a 2.5" SSD and a M.2 are virtually identical.
    Not exactly. They are both chip based, but M.2 is considerably faster. SSD’s cap out at 600MB/second where as M.2 can reach speeds of 4GB/second. That’s literally “instant”.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team