Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Audioshark

T+A SDV 3100HV + PDT 3100HV arrive

On loan from the distributor...

Me like!

Showing both finishes. Full Roon Ethernet connectivity. DAC takes two power cords (one for the digital section, one for the analog section). The Transport is a beast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

Re: T+A SDV 3100HV + PDT 3100HV arrive

I’ve always loved the look of T+A but have yet to hear them. I’m sure those pieces are absolutely wonderful. I know you love them.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Mike, good move!

The sound and build quality of T+A is second to none.
    Looking froward to your impressions, and the comparison with your other top DACs.
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    Mike, good move!

The sound and build quality of T+A is second to none.
    Looking froward to your impressions, and the comparison with your other top DACs.
    Me too! It would be good to know how the DAC works and sounds when fed high-res files from, say, an Aurender or similar. I would imagine it to be a significant step up from the DAC 8 DSD, fine as that one is.

Any word on these Mike? Impressions?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by thyname View Post
    Any word on these Mike? Impressions?
    It was very very good. When I played a really well recorded CD, the T+A was outstanding, but a little less forgiving on the less than stellar recordings - UNTIL - I played with the filters. It’s very transparent and provides incredible detail. One thing everyone must do is play with the filters. When I played with the filters, less forgiving recordings sounded great. It’s really a powerful combination and that transport....oh my. The build quality is incredible.

I really wish the PDP3000HV was still being made. It was one of my favorite all in one DAC/CD/SACD players. Hopefully we will see a PDP3100HV!

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

But they do have the MP 3100 HV which now does SACD, and is not just a transport (has a DAC built in). Which brings me to the next question: the DAC on SD and SDV 3100 line must be better than on MP 3100, right? Given the price difference

But they do have the MP 3100 HV which now does SACD, and is not just a transport (has a DAC built in). Which brings me to the next question: the DAC on SD and SDV 3100 line must be better than on MP 3100, right? Given the price difference
    Good question, I wondered about the same thing. The new DAC gets a very good review in the last HiFiNews - but the same score as the MP - with the same reviewer. Anyway, I have no doubts its a great piece of kit.

Mike, how does the SDV 3100 HV sound?

I really like the T+A preamps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Mike, how does the SDV 3100 HV sound?

I really like the T+A preamps.

This isn’t a full blown preamp IMO, it’s more of a DAC with a volume control and a couple of preamps.

Sound? On stellar recordings, it was stellar. It’s very detailed. Great separation. Reminded me much more of the MP3100HV sound than the PDP3100HV sound. Very nice combination with the transport for those seeking the ultimate in transparency, resolution and detail.

I am sure the sound and build quality is second to none. Even T+A's lower level gear is fairly amazing! I love my series 8 pieces. Best sounding equipment I have ever owned.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by soastrup View Post
    Me too! It would be good to know how the DAC works and sounds when fed high-res files from, say, an Aurender or similar. I would imagine it to be a significant step up from the DAC 8 DSD, fine as that one is.
    I am sure you are right; However, I have a hard time wrapping my head around being better then the DAC 8 DSD. It is so amazing as it is. From my understanding the custom 1-bit converter is directly trickled down from the HV series. I assume the higher and new models are better in PCM. I have heard they have a new 1-bit converter that does DSD1024...
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I’ve always loved the look of T+A but have yet to hear them. I’m sure those pieces are absolutely wonderful. I know you love them.
    Joe, you have to try some T+A. Be careful though, you may never go back . They are very special indeed.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    This isn’t a full blown preamp IMO, it’s more of a DAC with a volume control and a couple of preamps.

Sound? On stellar recordings, it was stellar. It’s very detailed. Great separation. Reminded me much more of the MP3100HV sound than the PDP3100HV sound. Very nice combination with the transport for those seeking the ultimate in transparency, resolution and detail.
    Ok, I see.

Understand you very much like the PDP 3000 HV sound. How does it differ from the SDV 3100 HV sound?

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

In comparison, would you consider the MSB premiere a full blown preamp?

Audioshark

In comparison, would you consider the MSB premiere a full blown preamp?

Nope. DAC with a VC. You need the separate MSB Preamp module (only for REF and Select II).

Audioshark

Ok, I see.

Understand you very much like the PDP 3000 HV sound. How does it differ from the SDV 3100 HV sound?

For me, the PDP3000HV sounded like the rest of the T+A lineup. Rich. Organic. Meat on the bones. Natural. It may or may not have been the last word in detail. Didn’t matter. I loved its sound. Jerry on here had one too. He loved it. The new digital has more detail, it digs deeper into the microdetails, Imaging, etc. Pick your flavor.

For me, the PDP3000HV sounded like the rest of the T+A lineup. Rich. Organic. Meat on the bones. Natural. It may or may not have been the last word in detail. Didn’t matter. I loved its sound. Jerry on here had one too. He loved it.

I think the T+A P 3000 HV preamp is very good, really like it.

Audioshark

I think the T+A P 3000 HV preamp is very good, really like it.

Agreed. Ditto for the amps.

Agreed. Ditto for the amps.
    Would love to get one of their better amps, however the AMP 8 is pretty amazing. After going back and forth for months, also waiting for the T+A to break in, I finally found that every time I hooked up the Audio Mirrors I started thinking about putting the AMP 8 back in the system. It got its hold on me and never let go. Very solid control of the bottom end, and better bass than I ever heard on my KEFs. Incredible separation and imaging. Crisp and fast. Oh so fast... reminded me of the Goldmund amps; cymbals sounded like metal being hit so much more then other amps I have heard.

It sounds so good that I ended up selling the Audio Mirror SET amps that I previously felt were the best I ever had!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Good question, I wondered about the same thing. The new DAC gets a very good review in the last HiFiNews - but the same score as the MP - with the same reviewer. Anyway, I have no doubts its a great piece of kit.
    Both the German Magazines Stereo and Stereoplay give these babies a perfect 100 out off 100 score in their latest editions (reviews can be found on the T+A website) No doubt with a sound home product bias but still impressive. (Much the same way that British speakers always do well in HIFiNews and Naim feature heavily in HiFiCritic I guess).

Audioshark

Both the German Magazines Stereo and Stereoplay give these babies a perfect 100 out off 100 score in their latest editions (reviews can be found on the T+A website) No doubt with a sound home product bias but still impressive. (Much the same way that British speakers always do well in HIFiNews and Naim feature heavily in HiFiCritic I guess).
    They are both superb.

Heard the SDV 3100 HV with the T+A 40th Anniversary monos last weekend with the AG Duos.

Quite an impressive setup, very neutral.

T+A showed the new kit at the Warsaw Audio show this weekend, along with the 40 year anniversary amps and Solitaire speakers. Oliver John from T+A presented the in-house development of the DAC's from the eigthies untill today and the upsampling modes of the new DAC. Very interesting.

I stopped by the room a few times and they mostly played rather bland electronic pop music which did not allow the system to really sing IMO. Others may disagree off course. It is clearly a very competent system and I am sure that with more challenging music it would have presented itself better. I would love to hear this system in a bigger room!

Attached Images Attached Images

Love that rack!

Anyone here was at the New York Audio show this weekend? It sounds like there was a dealer (Tweak Studio) that had a room with T+A gear on display

Audioshark

Love that rack!
    Fugly with all those bolts sticking out. Looks like a Grade 8 shop class project gone wrong.

I don’t know... I think it’s a good match with that particular T+A gear, visually, especially those amps. Obviously, seeing it in person is much better than in a picture from Internet.

Audioshark

I don’t know... I think it’s a good match with that particular T+A gear, visually, especially those amps. Obviously, seeing it in person is much better than in a picture from Internet.
    I’ll take your word for it.

LOL! I was just saying. Have not seen the rack and amp stands in person. They look great to me in the picture. Let’s ask @soastrup ?

Audioshark

LOL! I was just saying. Have not seen the rack and amp stands in person. They look great to me in the picture. Let’s ask @soastrup ?
    He probably saw it and was traumatized.

To be honest I didnt notice the bolts, too busy salivating over the 4 nimble boxes on top and side!

BTW, if I you find yourself accidentally crashing a press event and start receiving handouts, including bottles, should you feel bad about yourself? Hand stuff back? Or accept it as part of life since you didnt actually lie

Audioshark

To be honest I didnt notice the bolts, too busy salivating over the 4 nimble boxes on top and side!

BTW, if I you find yourself accidentally crashing a press event and start receiving handouts, including bottles, should you feel bad about yourself? Hand stuff back? Or accept it as part of life since you didnt actually lie
    Accept it, smile and keep on walking. Tell them you’re Press for AudioShark!

It depends on the type of “bottle” ��

did anybody try the sd or sdv 3100hv as a streamer dac?
    is it worldclass? better than lumin x1?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by u-sound View Post
    I did. It’s very revealing. Very true to source. Loads of detail.

I did. It’s very revealing. Very true to source. Loads of detail.

Interesting. What do you think about the SD 3100 vs MSB Premier DAC?

thx. very quick answer!
    can you share more details?
    vs lumin?
    vs a top streamer together with a 1.class streamer?

worth the money?

Audioshark

thx. very quick answer!
    can you share more details?
    vs lumin?
    vs a top streamer together with a 1.class streamer?
    We didn’t do any direct comparison. If you read back on my report when we had it in the store, you will see we loved it. It was phenomenal on great recordings. Less than stellar recordings were revealed - for better or worse. But great recordings were out of this world. The Lumin X1 is a little more forgiving on the bad recordings, but maybe not as revealing on the great recordings. A double edged sword.

The line between streamer and DAC with network connectivity is definitely getting blurred isn’t it?

thx a LOT again.

well all this network thing is new to me. still listen to cd.
    just think its easyer and cheaper a 1 box solution than multiple boxes. as long as there is no big tradeoff

Audioshark

thx a LOT again.

well all this network thing is new to me. still listen to cd.
    just think its easyer and cheaper a 1 box solution than multiple boxes. as long as there is no big tradeoff
    Seriously, CD is still a bit better sonically IMO. But ripping/streaming is soooooooooo convenient.

If you want one box and convenience, either is a great choice.

plan was to buy the top melco sever and use it with the dac. ripping the cd in i have and sell the cd-player.
    different plan, now i am just thinking to replace the dac with the sd3100 and keep the cd player

I heard the SDV as a pre/ streamer/ DAC in a demo a couple weeks ago with the M 40 HV mono blocks on AG Duos.

I found the combo very nice, offering tons of detail. It was very revealing, as Mike says. In overall presentation the setup it offered a tad less definition and heft compared to my Soulutions I would say.

Mike, what is the Amp 8 like that Randy has in comparison to its bigger siblings.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp. Audion Black Shadow 845 SET Monoblocks. Mojo Audio Deja Vu Server. Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC. Linear Solution Ethernet Switch. Gigafoil with LPS. STST Motus II TT with Vertere SG1 arm, Hana ML Cartridge, Allnic H1201 phono pre. Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Horn speakers with Mundord Supreme oil caps. Power via 10 awg Oyaide cable from panel to custom distribution strip feeding front end. Oyaide dedicated10 AWG branch circuits from panel to each amp. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.
    Kingrexelectric.com Lyncole certified grounding specialist.

Rex

If your First Sound preamp has SE outputs and you want to try a SS amp in your system with very little outlay and a 30 day return policy try the Nuforce STA-200 from Audio Advisor. It is a less powerful version of the Job/Goldmund circuit used in the Job 225 amp and if it is like the Job amp it's measured spec's will be almost half again it's advertised 80 wpc. It will easily drive any speaker in my rotation including the 86 db Fritz Carrera Be's. At $499 worth a try. Joe also has one.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    Mike, what is the Amp 8 like that Randy has in comparison to its bigger siblings.
    It’s really good. It has the DNA of the bigger models sonically. I haven’t had one in my systems, but I did get to hear it against the other series in Munich.

The new issue of The Absolute Sound has a review of this combo... I have not finished reading it yet (had to get to work ), but so far it seems like he is saying that these may be one of the best, if not the best digital converter setups on the market. He is simply raving about them and saying that T+A may very well be one of the best audio manufactures in existence.

He does state that they are the second largest audio manufacture in Germany.... wonder who is first? I would guess MBL???

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

i thought t+a itself is the biggest. then again nobody knows since none of them is publishing theyr financial numbers.

keep us updated about the review please.
    if everything works right, i will do a big comparison between t+a sd3100hv, brinkmann nykuist2, nagra hd dac and nagra tube dac.

i thought t+a itself is the biggest. then again nobody knows since none of them is publishing theyr financial numbers.

keep us updated about the review please.
    if everything works right, i will do a big comparison between t+a sd3100hv, brinkmann nykuist2, nagra hd dac and nagra tube dac.
    That would be interesting. I could never afford their higher models but I do believe that the DAC 8 DSD is the best DAC I have ever heard. I had tried 14 different DACs in my system before settling on the DAC 8 DSD. Teac, W4S, Marantz, NuPrime, Benchmark, Oppo, McIntosh, etc. Not one was on the price level that you are talking about but a good cross representation of reasonable level DACs. None were in the ball park of the T+A.

A couple months ago I hosted our local audio club meeting. Jon from Stereophile was there and he was pointing out to other members how amazing the T+A is. He had reviewed it a while back and was very impressed.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team