Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: T+A SDV 3100HV + PDT 3100HV arrive

Randy, are you finding T+A pcm is better than the others, or the dsd is its strong point.

Hey Rex,

T+A is known for its DSD, however the PCM they do is great. 99% of the time I listen to DSD because I normally use HQPlayer. However the occasional times I switch to Roon straight PCM sounds great. They use Texas Instrument chips (formerly BurrBrown) for PCM and their own 1-bit processors for DSD.

What I can tell you is that when Jon did the review for Stereophile he did not listen to DSD at all, only PCM. He still gave it his absolutely top rating. I know this for a fact because Jon does not have DSD capability at his home. His server can only do PCM .

I have not finished reading the new review in TAS yet but I do know, from what I have read so far, is that they are going fairly in depth as to how the machine works in both PCM and DSD.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

BurrBrown are old chips. They were in my last dac. Must be something other than the chip making the magic.

What level of DAC is John comparing it too. I guess I have to read. Sometimes these reviews bother me. A guy with a sonore rendu will get a hold of a real this or that and owe god the heavens open up. Its generally not a reviewer with a Mojo Audio V5, DCS stack, Aquaformula, MSB making the comparison. Of course they come to a ground breaking conclusion.

Im not bashing T+A. I just question the "whole" story. I mostly hear good comments on T+A . I bet its top notch.

I am out of my realm of knowledge on specifics, however I do know that Texas Instruments does currently produce updated chips. I believe that T+A uses the PCM1795, which is designed specially for PCM. I mentioned BurrBrown because the review mentioned that TI used to produce chips under the BurrBrown name, but no longer does.

I do know from all the DACs I compared/went through that BurrBrown were some of the nicest sounding, most inviting of the pre-fabbed chips that I have heard, in my view anyway. I have owned several variations of the ESS chips up to the 9038, Cirrus Logic, AKM, etc. I preferred the sound of the BurrBrown. It was more musical in my view versus say the ESS which was highly detailed, again to my ears.

Of course implementation does certainly factor in ...

Jon owns a Benchmark for his personal use. I have owned a couple Benchmarks including their current top of the line. Detailed to the extreme, but in my view maybe a bit too much so. My issue with Benchmark is they were against DSD and therefore offered only DSD64 even though the chips used could work for much higher levels. Of course Jon has tried many others, doing DAC shoot outs at his home, etc. By the way, I only mentioned Jon because he is a friend and I have been to his house on a few occasions. Also because he loved the T+A even though he did not use its top capabilities, and he did write a steller review for Stereophile.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

The BurrBrown 1795 is an older DAC chip, which was also used in their initial HV line-up. In their newer SD/ SDP 3100 HV T+A are using a chip with higher processing capability (up to DSD 1024).

The DAC chip itself does actually not make the sound of a DAC, it’s rather how it is implemented. The same chip in a different manufacturers product can sound quite different. In lower end platforms, however, where the DAC chip does most of the work without a separate FPGA added on, the sound is more similar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

The TI chips are only used for PCM. They developed their own 1-bit processor for DSD. PCM and DSD go through completely separate circuits in all T+A DACs.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    The new issue of The Absolute Sound has a review of this combo... I have not finished reading it yet (had to get to work ), but so far it seems like he is saying that these may be one of the best, if not the best digital converter setups on the market. He is simply raving about them and saying that T+A may very well be one of the best audio manufactures in existence.

He does state that they are the second largest audio manufacture in Germany.... wonder who is first? I would guess MBL???
    The review from Robert Harley is indeed very positive (as was his review of the old SACD player PDP 3000 HV) and is headlined the Pinnacle. Harley goes as far as calling the combo reasonably priced at 60 k USD which is a bit of a stretch IMO.

I believe the streamer/DAC would be a far more complete system had it included a hard drive and computer power to store and decode the large DSD files, thereby avoiding the need for a laptop connected to the USB port (and the sound degration that comes with the USB, however small). It is possible that technical reasons like cooling issues prevents this. (I made the point to the T+A technical department and they politely said they would consider it )

Anyway, untill I win the lottery all a bit academical and I am still very happy with the HV Integrated and SACD player!

Soren

I really like my T+A DAC. These pieces are amazing but I would have a very hard time justifying it even if I could afford the $60k price tag. I would think the SD 3100HV would be worthy of consideration for someone looking for just a DAC and not needing the built in Pre-amp functions or an over the top spinner.

I know it is better, but I do not think the rest of my gear is good enough to appreciate how spectacular this is. However my T+A DAC is definitely a keeper!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I finished the review. I am going to summarize with what I got out of the review. This is not a verbatim recant or including quotes.

Fit and finish and ease of use. He basically said it was top notch and that it was as well built and user friendly as any piece he has reviewed.

Analog section on the SDV. He stated he was afraid to try running his $100k+ vinyl setup through the T+A Analog rather then his high end line stage. He tried it anyway and was blown away. He basically said he could not hear any degradation what so ever!

CD playback, by far the best CD playback he has ever heard! The same with SACD.

PCM playback. Approaching the best of the best in the world.

DSD playback. The pinnacle, best he has ever heard, period... full stop. Best DSD playback in the world is what I gathered from his raving review!!!

This is my summary of the review. You may get a different understanding after reading it for yourself. I think that everyone will agree he was completely overwhelmed and impressed by these T+A components!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

Good summary. Thanks Randy. The DSD is so superb because it’s a completely separate section of the DAC (separate power cable, separate XLR cables, separate everything). It’s a true “pure” DSD playback. Of course those not caring about DSD other than the occasional time can select PCM/DSD instead of PCM + DSD.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I was cleaning for the holidays and out went piles of magazines. Included was my latest TAS so I dont get to read the article.

Congrats though Randy. Its nice to have a product you really like, with validation the performance is what you hear. I wish I bought the used amp 8 i found for $1,200 a while back. I want to try some SS at one point.

Yea, that would have been an amazing deal. I have never seen one below about $2200. It deserves way more than that. I think normal price is $3200-$3500. Mike will have to confirm that.

If I were ever to put mine up for sale I would need to get about $2000. That would be low, only because of brand recognition in the US. I also think this may be changing. There have been a plethora of outstanding reviews lately on T+A products!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I really like my T+A DAC. These pieces are amazing but I would have a very hard time justifying it even if I could afford the $60k price tag. I would think the SD 3100HV would be worthy of consideration for someone looking for just a DAC and not needing the built in Pre-amp functions or an over the top spinner.

I know it is better, but I do not think the rest of my gear is good enough to appreciate how spectacular this is. However my T+A DAC is definitely a keeper!
    T+A must feel that the products can compete with the likes of MSB and others in that category, and price accordingly. If money doesnt matter then thats fine, for the rest of us the smart choice is to go for the MP 3100 HV for example, a super SACD player with DAC @ 1/3 of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by soastrup View Post
    T+A must feel that the products can compete with the likes of MSB and others in that category, and price accordingly. If money doesnt matter then thats fine, for the rest of us the smart choice is to go for the MP 3100 HV for example, a super SACD player with DAC @ 1/3 of the price.
    Agreed, but still really expensive. Since I play all of my SACDs from my server I don't need that elaborate SACD spinner. The DAC 8 DSD is a great DAC for us people on a more moderate budget .

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

T+A SDV 3100HV + PDT 3100HV arrive

Quote Originally Posted by soastrup View Post
    Please keep in mind, price is not really an indicator for SQ. Manufacturers are free to price their products as they see fit, independent of what the products actually are capable of.

In the Stereophile review the DAC 8 DSD was compared to similarly or little lower priced DACs, like the Ayre Codex, which seems fair.

But my question would be, that if the DAC 8 DSD uses a similar DAC circuitry than previous generation HV components, what have users then been paying 4-5 times the money for in the MP 3000 HV or PDP 3000 HV. The heavy casework, the power management, the disc spinner? Those are things that affect the sound significantly, but 4-5 times the money is a tall order IMHO.

The newer HV series now use DAC chips with higher specs, but also the price has skyrocketed.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Please keep in mind, price is not really an indicator for SQ. Manufacturers are free to price their products as they see fit, independent of what the products actually are capable of.

In the Stereophile review the DAC 8 DSD was compared to similarly or little lower priced DACs, like the Ayre Codex, which seems fair.

But my question would be, that if the DAC 8 DSD uses a similar DAC circuitry than previous generation HV components, what have users then been paying 4-5 times the money for in the MP 3000 HV or PDP 3000 HV. The heavy casework, the power management, the disc spinner? Those are things that affect the sound significantly, but 4-5 times the money is a tall order IMHO.

The newer HV series now use DAC chips with higher specs, but also the price has skyrocketed.
    All very true, of course. However a couple things to keep in mind. The reviewer in Stereophile did not even attempt to evaluate the DAC 8 DSD in its fullest capability (i.e.DSD) because he could not. He mentioned this in the review actually. He stills gives it an A+ rating.

One of the huge differences is that T+A developed their own DSD 1-bit converters and therefore makes it easier to bring this tech down to their more affordable models (in my view and by what they claim). Also, reading TAS's review he puts their new DAC right up there with the best of the best... and reading between the lines I would state that he believes it may very well be the best digital setup in the world.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

All very true, of course. However a couple things to keep in mind. The reviewer in Stereophile did not even attempt to evaluate the DAC 8 DSD in its fullest capability (i.e.DSD) because he could not. He mentioned this in the review actually. He stills gives it an A+ rating.

One of the huge differences is that T+A developed their own DSD 1-bit converters and therefore makes it easier to bring this tech down to their more affordable models (in my view and by what they claim). Also, reading TAS's review he puts their new DAC right up there with the best of the best... and reading between the lines I would state that he believes it may very well be the best digital setup in the world.
    Come on Randy, it’s a 3K DAC.

Its a $4500 DAC, but what does that have to do with anything. Its a good machine, in my view better than anything in that range. The TAS review, what was being referenced above, is a much more expensive piece. The two machines that the review was about are $60k. I did not imply that my DAC was on that level. If that is what it seemed I assure you it is not ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

quiet a steep price difference europe vs us
    if you beg a little you get the sd3100 (without pre) for 20k chf in switzerland, brinkmann nyquist2 for about 12k chf.
    still enough, dont get me wrong.

i did read in another review the 3100hv is not really complete in the bass. not much impact was mentioned

Its a $4500 DAC, but what does that have to do with anything. Its a good machine, in my view better than anything in that range. The TAS review, what was being referenced above, is a much more expensive piece. The two machines that the review was about are $60k. I did not imply that my DAC was on that level. If that is what it seemed I assure you it is not ...
    It looked indeed, as if you were talking about the DAC 8 DSD. It is very good, but I presume there is still room towards the top.

US vs EU is indeed different, here it is 3 KEUR.

Of course there is a lot of room to improve . I love my DAC but it is no where near the best of the best. In my view it is what I consider the best in its range.

I am sorry if I was confusing, here is what I meant by what I wrote;

Stereophile: DAC 8 DSD ($4500)
    "The reviewer in Stereophile did not even attempt to evaluate the DAC 8 DSD in its fullest capability (i.e.DSD) because he could not. He mentioned this in the review actually. He stills gives it an A+ rating."

The Absolute Sound: SDV 3100HV + PDT 3100HV ($60,000)
    "
    reading TAS's review he puts their new DAC right up there with the best of the best... and reading between the lines I would state that he believes it may very well be the best digital setup in the world."

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

randy, wish you a great 3100er dac for 2020!!

Quote Originally Posted by u-sound View Post
    randy, wish you a great 3100er dac for 2020!!
    Hehe, thank you... I would very surprised if that was in the cards though. There are several other items (speakers) that would need updating long before getting a DAC of that caliber

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

at a usd 30.5k msrp price difference, it would certainly be an interesting A/B test to hear the dac8 dsd side-by-side with the dv 3100hv in the same system.

my expectations of the SQ difference would be quite high !!
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    at a usd 30.5k msrp price difference, it would certainly be an interesting A/B test to hear the dac8 dsd side-by-side with the dv 3100hv in the same system.

my expectations of the SQ difference would be quite high !!
    It’s certainly on another level. I’ve had both. But the DAC8 DSD when all material is sent to it as DSD512 is really freaking good. Just bring a bad ass computer for that function!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    It’s certainly on another level. I’ve had both. But the DAC8 DSD when all material is sent to it as DSD512 is really freaking good. Just bring a bad ass computer for that function!
    With HQPlayer I play everything from my server at DSD512/48; which is 24.6Mhz. Yes, it does like some computing power .

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Hello u-sound, I own a MP3100hv. I don't find the item lacking in bass. For that matter, I've read other reviews that said quite the opposite. I'd like to read that review. Would you kindly tell me the publication, and I'll try to find it? I'm not "brandwashed" ( my new term for people who will buy anything from a specific brand)I'd like to see the the other components in the test and any other gear they used for any comparison. Thank you!!!
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

hi penthouse
    well, it wasnt theyr press release
    it would be a bit too much for me right now to search it. i know i should.
    it wasnt really described as a lack of bass, that was my very own translation.
    maybe overall it shines more microdynamicly than macrowise

Understood. Thank you. The reason I asked is because when I first got the pair, I was a tad underwhelmed. I read every review I could find and don't remember that comment. Actually, quite the contrary. After a longer than normal break-in period, I'm thrilled!!!
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

I have heard, and know from their lower models, T+A takes considerable break-in.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Penthouse-D View Post
    Hello u-sound, I own a MP3100hv. I don't find the item lacking in bass. For that matter, I've read other reviews that said quite the opposite. I'd like to read that review. Would you kindly tell me the publication, and I'll try to find it? I'm not "brandwashed" ( my new term for people who will buy anything from a specific brand)I'd like to see the the other components in the test and any other gear they used for any comparison. Thank you!!!
    Like the term “brand washed”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Thanks. I too am guilty of being "brandwashed". Primarily with cars though. I think one needs to be careful . Many brands have been sold over and over. Very often, they aren't representative of the original quality, theory, and goals of the original "brand"....

Quote Originally Posted by Penthouse-D View Post
    Thanks. I too am guilty of being "brandwashed". Primarily with cars though. I think one needs to be careful . Many brands have been sold over and over. Very often, they aren't representative of the original quality, theory, and goals of the original "brand"....

Me too. With guitars, amps, banjos, and mandolins, recording gear, and yes...cars. Not so much anymore. But I've been a brand washed fanboy of various things at one time or another. I eventually found I was only cheating myself. I now try to be more open minded about things.

I have to admit to a little brain washing.... emmmm I mean brand preferences .... In computers I will own nothing but a Falcon; they don't offer tablets so the Surface is excluded ... I strongly prefer Mercedes Benz, KEF speakers although other British speakers such as B&W (I do have B&W speakers on our computers by the way) would probably be ok, and I can't help it, I have had McIntosh on the brain (ok, call that one brain washing) ever since jumping back in...

What can I say, I like what I like ... psssst.... T+A is definitely one that would fit the bill also, I just can't afford their higher line products.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

https://www.hifinews.com/content/ta-...portdac-page-2

.....OK, at times it may not offer the very last word in sheer bite and impact......

and the verdict:
    Towering in every sense, this T+A digital pairing is both a massive engineering achievement and a fabulously refined way to bring together the two worlds of physical media and file-based/streaming music. It's as future-proofed as you might hope for, and while not exactly red in tooth and claw, it transcends mere sonic fireworks by reproducing the most bombastic musical events with unmistakable style

i understood this a little as it could miss the bing bang

Quote Originally Posted by u-sound View Post
    https://www.hifinews.com/content/ta-...portdac-page-2

.....OK, at times it may not offer the very last word in sheer bite and impact......

and the verdict:
    Towering in every sense, this T+A digital pairing is both a massive engineering achievement and a fabulously refined way to bring together the two worlds of physical media and file-based/streaming music. It's as future-proofed as you might hope for, and while not exactly red in tooth and claw, it transcends mere sonic fireworks by reproducing the most bombastic musical events with unmistakable style

i understood this a little as it could miss the bing bang
    HifiNews reviews of the T+A Products have lately been carried out by Andrew Everard who likes the stuff without being overwhelmed. Andrew usually scores lower than the reviews by the late John Bamford for comparable products. He calls is the way he sees it, and I like the way he writes even if I love T+A more than he does. As always, go and check it out for yourself!

Amazing pieces indeed, thinking of going for a PDP-3000 with P-3000 myself, I love organic sound and deep soundstage over the last spec of detail...so from what I read here they would suit me better then the 3100 transport and dac/pre combi for less money...
    I noticed you had an Audio Research REF10 preamp in your system also Mike, how would you compare this soundwise to the T+A P3000HV?
    I had a ref40 myself and loved the huge, relax and organic soundstage, but maybe getting a player/dac and pre from the same brand makes more sense? My amps are Rowland 725s...

I am new to the T+A line, and just listened to the new one box CD/SACD/media player. Very detailed and reminds me of an equivalently priced Esoteric.
    Haven't heard their separate CD transport and DAC/media player but intrigued. Wondering if anyone who have heard them and also the MSB separates can share how alike or differently they sound?
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Me too. With guitars, amps, banjos, and mandolins, recording gear, and yes...cars. Not so much anymore. But I've been a brand washed fanboy of various things at one time or another. I eventually found I was only cheating myself. I now try to be more open minded about things.
    The thing about guitars, a established player can make a cheap guitar sound pretty darn good.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

@CPP I love this dictum, while true...an established player ( whatever that is?) can make a great guitar sound a whole lot better than a cheap guitar!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blueskywalker View Post
    Amazing pieces indeed, thinking of going for a PDP-3000 with P-3000 myself, I love organic sound and deep soundstage over the last spec of detail...so from what I read here they would suit me better then the 3100 transport and dac/pre combi for less money...
    I noticed you had an Audio Research REF10 preamp in your system also Mike, how would you compare this soundwise to the T+A P3000HV?
    I had a ref40 myself and loved the huge, relax and organic soundstage, but maybe getting a player/dac and pre from the same brand makes more sense? My amps are Rowland 725s...
    The PDP-3000 is discontinued, you will have to search for demos or used if you want one. Its a great sounding player and you will not regret it, I use mine as both CD/SACD player and as a DAC.

The player is expensive but at less than half the price of the new combo its a relative bargain

Quote Originally Posted by Pearce Harrison View Post
    @CPP I love this dictum, while true...an established player ( whatever that is?) can make a great guitar sound a whole lot better than a cheap guitar!!
    2 years ago, Bryan Sutton was at a music festival and a guy asked him to check out his Jasmine S35, ($100) a low priced acoustic guitar. Well, we all were surprised when after asking the kid if he could change his strings, since the strings were just to much of a heavy gauge and after tuning it, started playing Coming Down From Rising Fawn", and bingo the cheap little guitar was singing.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

T+A SDV 3100HV + PDT 3100HV arrive