Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Coaxial to Ethernet

I have Coax in my listening room that is direct run from the Fiber Optic OLN box on the outside of our house.

I am looking for an audiophile quality switch/converter to do the conversion to Ethernet. The current conversion is done by an ActionTec unit with a typical cheap power supply.

I have looked at the manufactures talked about here that make switching devices without finding anything.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to where else I might look?

Thanks
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

Re: Coaxial to Ethernet

Is this what you are looking for? https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Eth.../dp/B008C1JC4O "
    • This Adapter turns coaxial wiring into a high-performance Ethernet network, giving you an easy way to connect your home entertainment devices to the Internet."
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Thanks Phil. That is the adapter I currently am using. My curiosity is, are there better adapters that would possibly do less harm to the signal. This ActionTec unit may be just fine but I have no idea.

I am planing to change the network switch and power supply in the listening room that connects my NAS, Laptop and DAC that receive the signal from the ActionTec, along with the power supply for the NAS and laptop.

I have no complaint with the ActionTec. I figured I should upgrade everything in the signal path. Maybe, maybe not necessary.
    Any thoughts?
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

Don't have any personal experience with them. Apparently, they have a newer model - https://www.actiontec.com/products/ecb6200/ and another one - https://www.actiontec.com/products/h...apter-ecb6250/

According to the 6200 manual, it has the following specs:

"Model NumberECB6200IPLAN MoCA (v. 2.0; up to 1.4 Gbps throughput)LAN Ethernet Port 10/100/1000 (1)LAN ConnectionsCoax In Frequency Range - Extended D-band: 1125MHz ~ 1675MHz;Full Port Range: 5MHz ~ 2150MHzTV/STB Out Frequency Range - 5MHz ~ 1002MHzLED IndicatorsPower, CoaxPowerExternal, 5V DC, 2A, 1.3 mm diameter connector plugMade by APD, model #WA-10P05FU." One could look at an upgraded power supply as a potential improvement (don't know where the unit sits in your scheme of things). You could also call to submit a tech request form to Actiontec. Their number and forum is on their website. I've called other companies before to get guidance from their technical people.
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Thanks again for that. Possibly I am approaching this from the wrong direction.

For those that have, at their audio equipment, an Ethernet signal via CAT (whatever they choose cable) it seems most use the router supplied by the service provider. Am I making a correct assumption here?

If so, then, is there not that much concern for how the signal is being handled at this point?

I looked for recommendations for download speed for Hi-res music and Qobuz was as high as any at 10 mbps. That was lower than I had suspected. The ActionTec adapter I am currently using allows a max of 250 mbps in one direction and 175 mbps bi-directional. My current speed for the signal to my laptop that controls the system is 99 mbps, which would seem to not be an issue.

Then, the question is are there other internal factors that I should be looking at?

I pretty much live in computer class 101 so am I creating an issue where none exists?

Thanks

I don't use the router from my provider (Spectrum - was Brighthouse when I first signed up). I brought my own modem and router from the list of compatible devices on their site when I first signed up almost 6 years back. I had my house pre-wired (Cat6 is what they used from the office to various rooms). I use one of these in line from the office to the main system - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006V1VPI8...v_ov_lig_dp_it I also have an upgraded (Cat8) cable going to the room with the main system from the router and one coming out of the wall to my Lumin U1. I have an integrated (AV) main system but only use it about 10 times/year or less for movies or TV so I don't use my ethernet switch. I'll hook it up once a year or so to see if my receiver or Oppo 103D needs a firmware update. There are also threads here (and other places like the Computer Audiophile) for some who use devices like - https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ether...i%2C164&sr=8-5 There are also articles like - https://blog.eero.com/5-important-ro...ecs-explained/ You can also Google your router model number to get specs like speed and go here to test your actual speed - https://www.speedtest.net/

Hi Phil, in my last post I listed the speed for my AudioTec adapter (250 mbps) and the speed of the speed at my laptop controlling my audio system (99 mbps).

I will take a look at Computer Audiophile for some more information.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brad225 View Post
    Hi Phil, in my last post I listed the speed for my AudioTec adapter (250 mbps) and the speed of the speed at my laptop controlling my audio system (99 mbps).

I will take a look at Computer Audiophile for some more information.

Thanks
    Actiontec also has a forum to post questions if you don't find what you are looking for - https://actiontecsupport.zendesk.com...mmunity/topics

Quote Originally Posted by Phil A View Post
    I don't use the router from my provider (Spectrum - was Brighthouse when I first signed up). I brought my own modem and router from the list of compatible devices on their site when I first signed up almost 6 years back. I had my house pre-wired (Cat6 is what they used from the office to various rooms). I use one of these in line from the office to the main system - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006V1VPI8...v_ov_lig_dp_it I also have an upgraded (Cat8) cable going to the room with the main system from the router and one coming out of the wall to my Lumin U1. I have an integrated (AV) main system but only use it about 10 times/year or less for movies or TV so I don't use my ethernet switch. I'll hook it up once a year or so to see if my receiver or Oppo 103D needs a firmware update. There are also threads here (and other places like the Computer Audiophile) for some who use devices like - https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ether...i%2C164&sr=8-5 There are also articles like - https://blog.eero.com/5-important-ro...ecs-explained/ You can also Google your router model number to get specs like speed and go here to test your actual speed - https://www.speedtest.net/
    Phil, I'm getting ready to do the same. Buy my own router and modem. Can I ask which model you purchased and replaced which one.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Chris - my modem is about 6 years old. I got it when I moved here (so it didn't replace anything - the builder used my house for a short bit and the modem/router they had from the cable company wasn't all that great - think it was an Ubee model - when the sales guy for the builder went to the new model they were going to use towards the latter part of 2013, I had to go over there and fix something for himas he got frustrated on telephone hold for a long period of time and needed the phone free for sales calls). I have a Motorola SURFboard SB6141 (https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboa...s%2C161&sr=8-5). I'm sure they have newer models out (believe they have a modem/router all in one that is capable of a bit more speed. I had lightning damage a couple of years back and I had to replace (among other things) the router and 16 port network swith in my office and got an ASUS AC1750 (had and older different model ASUS). It suits my needs for surfing and downloading hi-rez music. I just did a Speed Test and this was my result:

Attached Images Attached Images

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Coaxial to Ethernet