Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

What do you use to clean stylus?

I've been using Zerodust for years. Recently a turntable guru told me ZD is probably better than nothing but not nearly as good as a brush. I mainly used ZD as more of a safety thing, it just seemed safer than thrashing around with a brush. Especially now that I am using the Maestro where the cantilever protrudes out past the cartridge body.

So opinions on Zerodust? And if a brush is better, recommendations?

Thanks
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Re: What do you use to clean stylus?

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

agree with Dan and I've also been using LAST products for well over thirty years too.
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Magic Eraser each session. Dip stylus in & carefully rotate the ME piece back & forth around it to "scrub". Long bristle brush, from various angles against the stylus (especially with bristles orthogonal to stylus shank) plus up & down the cantilever (long bristles far superior to the short bristle pad because of this), each side. I used ZD and still have 2 of them, but the ME and brush is more effective - haven't used the ZD in a long time.

Peter Lederman recommends using Bluestik. Have to say it works!

From the SoundSmith website:
    How do I clean the stylus?? Do I use a wet cleaner each time, or often? NO!!!

A DRY soft brush is somewhere between good and “OK”, but it is far better is to use some DAP Bluestik* – this is the blue clay-like stuff you get in the stationery department made by DAP. It is used for temporary sticking things on walls and such. Use it just before or after every play. Option one is to craft a “pedestal" on the turntable base and place a small ball of DAP Bluestik* on the pedestal so that you can use the cueing mechanism to allow the stylus to drop onto the blu-stik. CAUTION: Be sure that the top of the DAP Bluestik* is lower than the stylus as it travels across. You don't want the stylus to hit the side of the DAP Bluestik*; it may damage your cartridge.

The other good option is to squash a small ball (half the size of a dime) FLAT (the thickness of a record) onto a heavy coin – such as a quarter. Then place THAT coin on the platter. Then cue DOWN and up on the DAP Bluestik* several times. Be VERY carefull not to DRAG the coin or turn the platter when the stylus is down on the DAP Bluestik* or you risk damaging the stylus or cartridge.
    Do this several times, each time moving the DAP Bluestik* to a new spot when the stylus is raised, so that when it comes down it hits a new spot.
    Analog source: AMG Viella 12; Ortofon Anna cartridge, van den Hul Crimson Stradivarius XGW
    Digital source: Totaldac d1-twelve Mk2 DAC, Totaldac d1-player, Totaldac d1-streamer, Totaldac Live Power supply
    Pre amp: VAC Master with phono
    Phonostage: ​Constellation Andromeda
    Amps: VAC 200iQ monoblocks
    Speakers: Magico M3 with MPods
    Cables: Synergistic Research Galileo SX speaker, phono, analog and digital interconnects
    Power products: Synergistic Research Galileo PowerCell SX and Transporter Ultra. Galileo SX and SRX power cords. Keces P3 LPS for cable modem and router.

I had one brush like the one jdandy has. One day I needed it and it had disappeared. Then I remembered that my wife had a lot of make up brushes. So I "borrowed" one of them. She never mentioned it and neither did I.
    Still works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
    Magic Eraser each session. Dip stylus in & carefully rotate the ME piece back & forth around it to "scrub". Long bristle brush, from various angles against the stylus (especially with bristles orthogonal to stylus shank) plus up & down the cantilever (long bristles far superior to the short bristle pad because of this), each side. I used ZD and still have 2 of them, but the ME and brush is more effective - haven't used the ZD in a long time.

I’m with the magic eraser deal too much better than any brush i have tried .....

I rarely need to clean the stylus when the records are clean

I clean all my records with US and vacuum after purchase and if they look dusty.

Small brush and Lyra SPT every now and then.
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Before every play, I’m using the Onzow or brushing using the Mobile Fidelity brush, from the rear forward - I’ll admit I’m not a fan of brushing understanding the delicacy of the stylus but no issues so far.

And carbon brush the album before and after every play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

I use the DS Audio stylus cleaner. Best i have had. Well worth the price.
    IMG1031-1-1024x768.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    I had one brush like the one jdandy has. One day I needed it and it had disappeared. Then I remembered that my wife had a lot of make up brushes. So I "borrowed" one of them. She never mentioned it and neither did I.
    Still works very well.

I have a whole case of those from a packaging machine we designed and built. I find lots of uses for them.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

I have a brush I got with a Stanton cart, the brissels are so tight I can't gt a finger nail in. I mean, they gave it with a cart but I am hesitant to use it on another. Are the brushes typically very tight together?
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

I agree--I got a brush with the round head and the tight bristles that everyone seems to throw in with a cart. I would be afraid to use it as stiff as it seems. I just usu use the brush that comes out of the LP#9 fluid bottle. And only if zerodust doesnt get everything off. I find it really hilarious that I cannot find one youtube online demonstrating how to use one of those round brushes back to front. I think everyone mist have a problem with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I have a brush I got with a Stanton cart, the brissels are so tight I can't gt a finger nail in. I mean, they gave it with a cart but I am hesitant to use it on another. Are the brushes typically very tight together?
    McInotsh MC75 (2) amps
    Audiophonics LPA-S400ET Class D amp
    Marchand XB44 crossover
    McIntosh C2500 pre
    Luxman 505Ux integrated to drive "B" Speakers
    EAT C Sharp with Ortofon Cadenza Blue
    TEAC SD1000/Yamaha SACD Blu Ray player
    Sonus Faber Olympica I
    dual Rythmik sealed subs
    AKG and Sennheiser phones, Feliks headphone amp
    Vintage Pioneer table and Kenwood 3 head tape deck
    Nitty Gritty RCM, and DeGritter
    McIntosh, AQ, Nordost, and Cullen Cables
    Mytek Brooklyn DAC+/Sonare Ultra Rendu, SGC I transporter 5
    Tidal and Roon

Quote Originally Posted by petek View Post
    I agree--I got a brush with the round head and the tight bristles that everyone seems to throw in with a cart. I would be afraid to use it as stiff as it seems. I just usu use the brush that comes out of the LP#9 fluid bottle. And only if zerodust doesnt get everything off. I find it really hilarious that I cannot find one youtube online demonstrating how to use one of those round brushes back to front. I think everyone mist have a problem with them.
    LOL, no problem what so ever, in fact they couldn't be easier to use. Not to mention they do a better job than any of the aforementioned ones you speak of, simply because of the density / shortness of their respective bristles.

All one needs to do is have your tonearm at rest and locked, bring the brush till the stylus is in and gently move from back to front, plenty of compliance in ones cantilever suspension for this if done correctly. After this is done you will be surprised at what you see on that little brush !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Ok I CAN overcome my fear and give it a try. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    LOL, no problem what so ever, in fact they couldn't be easier to use. Not to mention they do a better job than any of the aforementioned ones you speak of, simply because of the density / shortness of their respective bristles.

All on needs to do is have your tonearm at rest and locked, bring the brush till the stylus is in and gently move from back to front, plenty of compliance in ones cantilever suspension for this if done correctly. After this is done you will be surprised at what you see on that little brush !
    McInotsh MC75 (2) amps
    Audiophonics LPA-S400ET Class D amp
    Marchand XB44 crossover
    McIntosh C2500 pre
    Luxman 505Ux integrated to drive "B" Speakers
    EAT C Sharp with Ortofon Cadenza Blue
    TEAC SD1000/Yamaha SACD Blu Ray player
    Sonus Faber Olympica I
    dual Rythmik sealed subs
    AKG and Sennheiser phones, Feliks headphone amp
    Vintage Pioneer table and Kenwood 3 head tape deck
    Nitty Gritty RCM, and DeGritter
    McIntosh, AQ, Nordost, and Cullen Cables
    Mytek Brooklyn DAC+/Sonare Ultra Rendu, SGC I transporter 5
    Tidal and Roon

A quick little shot of compressed air after brushing (for me, from behind and below.) I pulled off my cartridge recently to change tonearms and noticed some dust build-up inside the body, right where it would be flicked off of the stylus/cantilever when using the small brush from back to front.

I use Onzow or moongel, some generic last type fluid w brush(occasionally) and the tight bristled stylus brush.
    Question, what's the best way to clean the small stylus brush?

Quote Originally Posted by bajaed View Post
    Question, what's the best way to clean the small stylus brush?
    I've taken an outdated credit card, cut it in thirds and used the one third as 'swipe' against the brush, works perfectly !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team