Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Listening to music in analog...

Listening to music in analog forces you to slow down. You have to take it easy. You can't just skip a track by pressing a button. You have to physically get up and move the tonearm. So you stay put and listen to the whole side. It can be actually beneficial to your well-being. Sometimes that's the way you want to listen to music.

Re: Listening to music in analog...

I can stay in my sofa without pressing buttons when listening to digital files too.
    In fact, a lot longer than with vinyl...
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

i agree

vinyl for me is the ultimate time stopper

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    Listening to music in analog forces you to slow down. You have to take it easy. You can't just skip a track by pressing a button. You have to physically get up and move the tonearm. So you stay put and listen to the whole side. It can be actually beneficial to your well-being. Sometimes that's the way you want to listen to music.
    And every one of those reasons is why my analog rig sits gathering dust. A complete waste of my time and money.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Audioshark

Totally agree. It’s a completely different experience and that’s what I was trying to convey in my other posts. Having both sources is wonderful. But vinyl is very special to me. Like a gourmet meal with a fine bottle of wine.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Is this thread any different than the one Mike started on the same subject?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Some are revisiting vinyl and realizing the enjoyment.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    And every one of those reasons is why my analog rig sits gathering dust. A complete waste of my time and money.
    Jim, then why didn't you sell it ?
    Cheers ! …. Dave

To be frank, I really don't know and don't care. I don't listen to analog much anymore but I wanted to share the experience of listening to analog with anyone who might care. If that's not you, that's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    Jim, then why didn't you sell it ?
    Because I can't get anything for it.

Also, please understand I am not trying to talk anyone out of enjoying their analog gear. Everyone has the right to spend and enjoy their time on this big rock as they see fit.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

gotcha, must be like my avatar .........
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Also, please understand I am not trying to talk anyone out of enjoying their analog gear. Everyone has the right to spend and enjoy their time on this big rock as they see fit.

Then donate it to someone trying out analog ...

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    I can stay in my sofa without pressing buttons when listening to digital files too.
    In fact, a lot longer than with vinyl...
    I can do that too. But sometimes the inconvenience of vinyl and the ritual of getting off my butt, finding an album that I know is somewhere in that pile of records, cleaning it before placing it on the table, turning the TT on, lifting the tonearm and letting it drop slowly on the record is what the doctor recommends. 😁

To be frank, I really don't know and don't care. I don't listen to analog much anymore but I wanted to share the experience of listening to analog with anyone who might care. If that's not you, that's ok.
    You can tell by my signature that I obviously do care.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    I've told him numerous times to send it to me and I will take care of it for him.

Audioshark

I've told him numerous times to send it to me and I will take care of it for him.
    It’s a real nice SME if I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can do that too. But sometimes the inconvenience of vinyl and the ritual of getting off my butt, finding an album that I know is somewhere in that pile of records, cleaning it before placing it on the table, turning the TT on, lifting the tonearm and letting it drop slowly on the record is what the doctor recommends. ��

I hear you.
    I also like the ritual of going through my CD rack and choosing an album.

For real physical excercises - like you cleaning records and lifting tonearms - I still have my athletics.
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

I hear you.

For real physical excercises - like you cleaning records and lifting tonearms - I still have my athletics.
    Listening to music in analog...Listening to music in analog...

I hear you.
    agreed, here's to physical media! ....
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    agreed, here's to physical media! ....
    True, and it sounds better! The MSB Transport still sounds considerably better than streaming.

It’s funny, the guys who worry about cable lifters, carbon fiber wall plates, stillpoints, grounding boxes and the like, tell me, “Tidal is good enough.” Listening to music in analog...

I do in-home pick up and buy a nice dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    It’s a real nice SME if I recall.

Aren’t they all nice, analog TT is definitely a mood thing, the ritual you just gotta love it or its not going to work , only those who do , get it ...

Regards

BTW Mike ,

would love to see a record cleaning post, there are so many machines available today to sort through ....!

Audioshark

Aren’t they all nice, analog TT is definitely a mood thing, the ritual you just gotta love it or its not going to work , only those who do , get it ...

Regards

BTW Mike ,

would love to see a record cleaning post, there are so many machines available today to sort through ....!
    I own the ClearAudio Double Matrix. It’s awesome. The AD is also good.

After starting with vinyl as my analogue standard almost 60 years ago, I made the revelatory (for me) discovery of 15ips 2 track reel to reel tape in 2007. That is the gold standard for me for reproduced sound. Any recording made before the early to mid 80's was recorded on reel to reel tape and commercial and other sources demonstrate how much is lost in its conversion to digital or even vinyl. If you haven't had the experience, particularly with first or second generation copies of master tapes (the same generations from which digital copies and vinyl are begun to be made), please try to find a friend who can play these tapes, or, even better, will allow you to borrow their machines and some of their tapes.

I spent the weekend helping a friend in his room at the California Audio Show. We played tapes about 90% of the time. He told me that it is quite unusual for people to stay listening in a room in a show for 30 or 45 minutes, even an hour or more. And also having people applaud and come up to thank us for the experience.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

And don't forget the sometimes excellent liner notes;
    "There is a Japanese visual art in which the artist is forced to be spontaneous. He must paint on a thin stretched parchment with a special brush and black water paint in such a way that an unnatural or interrupted stroke will destroy the line or break through the parchment. Erasures or changes are impossible. These artists must practice a particular discipline, that of allowing the idea to express itself in communication with their hands in such a direct way that deliberation cannot interfere.The resulting pictures lack the complex composition and textures of ordinary painting, but it is said that those who see well find something captured that escapes explanation.
    This conviction that direct deed is the most meaningful reflections, I believe, has prompted the evolution of the extremely severe and unique disciplines of the jazz or improvising musician.
    Group improvisation is a further challenge. Aside from the weighty technical problem of collective coherent thinking, there is the very human, even social need for sympathy from all members to bend for the common result. This most difficult problem, I think, is beautifully met and solved on this recording.
    As the painter needs his framework of parchment, the improvising musical group needs its framework in time,. Miles Davis presents here frameworks which are exquisite in their simplicity and yet contain all that is necessary to stimulate performance with sure reference to the primary conception.
    Miles conceived these settings only hours before the recording dates and arrived with sketches which indicated to the group what was to be played. Therefore, you will hear something close to pure spontaneity in these performances. The group had never played these pieces prior to the recordings and I think without exception the first complete performance of each was a "take."
    --- Bill Evans
    Attached Images Attached Images

Being a classical vinyl collector, having a collection of + 5000 / 6000 records, I can only agree with that perception of vinyl listening: it's unique....
    especially, regarding analog, as I have purchased few weeks ago what is a kind of "Rolls Royce " of analog LP production ! I'll try to introduce that treasure in a post..probably one of / or THE most luxurious piano
    record ever issued in the last 50 years !

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I love the rituals around vinyl. The feel of the album jacket, the smell of a lot of parties maybe wafting up as I pull it off the shelf. The jacket artwork - bold and unapologetic - not some digital facsimile. All analog authoring and printing. The physical sensation of removing the sleeve from the jacket. Finally pulling out the disc and giving it a whirl on the VPI machine. Then placing it on the 50 pound platter of the Nottingham Dais. Made by a true craftsman in a garage shop. Spinning the massive 50 pound platter by hand to get it spinning - no wimpy on off switch needed here. Finally cueing up the record to hear the black velvet background from which the music will soon emanate. Sitting down in my chair for a side.

The inconvenience coupled with high distortion and noise really make the vinyl experience for me. Really, how is it that a format with performance orders of magnitude worse than digital so enjoyable?

I don’t understand it. But I love it just the same.
    Tom

Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

Quote Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
    I love the rituals around vinyl. The feel of the album jacket, the smell of a lot of parties maybe wafting up as I pull it off the shelf. The jacket artwork - bold and unapologetic - not some digital facsimile. All analog authoring and printing. The physical sensation of removing the sleeve from the jacket. Finally pulling out the disc and giving it a whirl on the VPI machine. Then placing it on the 50 pound platter of the Nottingham Dais. Made by a true craftsman in a garage shop. Spinning the massive 50 pound platter by hand to get it spinning - no wimpy on off switch needed here. Finally cueing up the record to hear the black velvet background from which the music will soon emanate. Sitting down in my chair for a side.

The inconvenience coupled with high distortion and noise really make the vinyl experience for me. Really, how is it that a format with performance orders of magnitude worse than digital so enjoyable?

I don’t understand it. But I love it just the same.
    Tom, I’m so hooked right now, despite having a table with an on and off switch Listening to music in analog...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Ed, it’s totally counter intuitive, isn’t it? I’m glad you’re having fun with vinyl. I have all the world’s music at my fingertips and I choose to spin vinyl more often than not. My digital is getting better all the time but my most engaging experiences are still with vinyl. I have records I bought when I was 12, so there is a nostalgia component to it. It’s all different and all awesome.
    Tom

Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

Quote Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
    Ed, it’s totally counter intuitive, isn’t it? I’m glad you’re having fun with vinyl. I have all the world’s music at my fingertips and I choose to spin vinyl more often than not. My digital is getting better all the time but my most engaging experiences are still with vinyl. I have records I bought when I was 12, so there is a nostalgia component to it. It’s all different and all awesome.
    Yes, having Analog as an option knocked it out of the park for me, and honestly I am going days now without hearing digital, thinking because it’s so new to me - this is fun!

Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    Yes, having Analog as an option knocked it out of the park for me, and honestly I am going days now without hearing digital, thinking because it’s so new to me - this is fun!

Uh huh. I remember a guy who posted a thread “why no turntable”? Glad you guys are all having fun enjoying another side of the hobby!

Uh huh. I remember a guy who posted a thread “why no turntable”? Glad you guys are all having fun enjoying another side of the hobby!

Yeah, I remember the same thing. Some were sitting on the fence and jumped over to the analog side while some who weren’t even on the fence decided to climb over to the analog side.

Now I have a Florida wife Listening to music in analog...

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    Now I have a Florida wife Listening to music in analog...

Actually, I left a detailed message on that great LP record I was speaking of in the music forum...

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Listening to music in analog...