Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Bluetooth Sports IEM - looking for suggestions

I am looking for a reliable BT Sports IEM. Doesn't have to be true wireless.

I recently had a brief love affair with the JayBird X4. Unfortunately, they did not even last 30 days. The good news was that I could return them for a full refund since they failed within 30 days.

These will be used mostly for gym workouts on an elliptical machine and for walks. I sweat a lot so they have to be of the "sport", sweat resistant variety.

The online reviews are useless. I need to hear from people that have real long term experience with the BT Sport IEM market. Should be under $150, but I can go up to $200 if they are reliable. Reliability is the key here. Sound quality can be just OK. I use HD800s headphones for serious HP listening.

Any suggestions?
    Lumin A1
    Pre Amps: Mini DSP SHD, Threshold NS-10 (Recapped)
    Amps: Modwright KWA150SE, Threshold 400A (Recapped)
    NAS: Synology DS1513+
    Turntable: VPI HW19 MKIV DVxx2mkII Moerch arm VPI SDS

Re: Bluetooth Sports IEM - looking for suggestions

I would be interested as well. As a runner I haven’t found any that last for long.
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
    Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
    Music Server: Aurender N100H
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
    I would be interested as well. As a runner I haven’t found any that last for long.
    Which have you used?

To me reliability would be ideally about 3 years. I would tolerate even 1 year - but less than 30 days is nuts.

I would definitely stay away from Jaybird X4. I should have read the reviews on Amazon before buying - lots of folks have had similar experiences as mine. I guess that is why they offer a 30 day no questions asked refund. They know they have high rate of failures and they want people to feel they haven't been ripped off.
    Lumin A1

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigaj View Post
    Which have you used?

To me reliability would be ideally about 3 years. I would tolerate even 1 year - but less than 30 days is nuts.

I would definitely stay away from Jaybird X4. I should have read the reviews on Amazon before buying - lots of folks have had similar experiences as mine. I guess that is why they offer a 30 day no questions asked refund. They know they have high rate of failures and they want people to feel they haven't been ripped off.
    I can’t remember the models but I’ve hade various headphones from Sony, Sennheiser, and most recently Koss. None have lasted 3 years.
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
    Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
    Music Server: Aurender N100H
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
    I can’t remember the models but I’ve hade various headphones from Sony, Sennheiser, and most recently Koss. None have lasted 3 years.
    Yes all of those brands you mention appear on the "Best Of.." lists.

I posed the same question on the Computer Audiophile forums and someone suggested the Shure SE215. They are designed as over ear which I like when I exercise. The Jaybirds were under ear or over ear, but I have found that does not allow proper over ear fit. It's more of an afterthought that's poorly implemented.

What I like about the Shure is that the BT cable is removable and replaceable. You can also get a matching cable that permits use of the phones without BT (i.e., wired IEM's).

They cost about $150. There are a lot of fake units out there, even on Amazon, so if I go with these I'll be buying from a Shure Retailer at full cost. Very little discounting is being done on these by Shure retailers.
    Lumin A1

I ordered the Shure SE215 BT IEMs. They lasted less than 2 weeks. The charging cable no longer works. The LED stays on red. Pushing and holding the on/off button does nothing.

Shure responded to send them back the cable and they would replace it.

I bought from an authorized dealer (Full Compass) and they sent me an replacement pair right away. Fingers crossed but at this point I'm not optimistic about this technology.
    Lumin A1

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Bluetooth Sports IEM - looking for suggestions