Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Mcintosh C1000T vs C2600

Has anyone made a comparison between C2600 and C1000t? How is the background noise in C1000t? C2600 had a little noise in the treble I didn't like, does the C1000t have that too?

What is the best pre amp? Did mcintosh put the technology from C1000 in the C2600 when they released the C1100?

Super Moderator

Re: Mcintosh C1000T vs C2600

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

The C1100 is the latest offering from McIntosh and is a significant step up from the 2600. It's worth comparing the two on the McIntosh website to get a sense how they match up across capabilities and specs. I moved from the C500P to the C1100 and have been very pleased with the upgrade. The C1100 is remarkably quiet and musical. I don't hear any hint of hum or noise even at high volume with phono sources. You lose the 3D faceplate and the ability to switch between tube and SS compared to the C1000 but the specs are so good on the C1100, they didn't bother with a solid state offering. Neither the C1000 nor C1100 offer tone controls like the 2600 but I don't miss them and it simplifies the signal path. Separating AC from the line stage with dual mono pays significant dividends, it's the quietest line stage they've ever offered. The phono stage is also very good. Make an appointment to audition it at your local dealer.
    System 1: Pre: Shindo Giscours, Amps: Shindo Corton Charlemagne EL34, Turntable: Garrard 301 - SME 312S + Reed 3P - EMT JSD6, Speakers: Altec Valencia

System 2: Pre MC C1100, Amps: MC75, Turntable: SME 20/2 - SME V - Lyra Kleos, Speakers: Tannoy Canterbury SE

Does the c1100 have a colder and more neutral sound compare to c500? Är does the c1100 still have the warm tube sound?

Quote Originally Posted by n_brio View Post
    Does the c1100 have a colder and more neutral sound compare to c500? Är does the c1100 still have the warm tube sound?
    I would characterize the sound signature as just on the warm side of neutral. I had a C500P previously which was the SS version and I think the C1100 provides a bit more warmth without any loss of detail or resolution. There are other preamps that would deliver a more vintage tube sound at the expense of extension and resolution. I listen primarily to phono and the C1100 has 6 tubes per channel including those in the hybrid phono stage. I find the combination to be more engaging and musical than the C500P. I'm amazed by the texture and realism that I hear with my best recordings.
    System 1: Pre: Shindo Giscours, Amps: Shindo Corton Charlemagne EL34, Turntable: Garrard 301 - SME 312S + Reed 3P - EMT JSD6, Speakers: Altec Valencia

System 2: Pre MC C1100, Amps: MC75, Turntable: SME 20/2 - SME V - Lyra Kleos, Speakers: Tannoy Canterbury SE

Thank you!

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Mcintosh C1000T vs C2600