Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Minimserver TagFormat is not consistent on Lumin App

I recently purchased a Lumin A1 and have set up Minimserver tagFormat to my preferred format of "AlbumArtist, Conductor, Orchestra".

I get consistency on two locations where this tagFormat is used in the Lumin App and on my Lumin A1 screen. However, the top "AlbumArtist, Conductor, Orchestra" string does not follow the tagFormat rule.

@wklie please advise. Am I doing something wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator

Re: Minimserver TagFormat is not consistent on Lumin App

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Welcome! If there are tags on something that I don't like etiher on a download or CD Rip I use MP3Tag to re-tag it - https://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Phil A View Post
    Welcome! If there are tags on something that I don't like etiher on a download or CD Rip I use MP3Tag to re-tag it - https://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html
    That is not the problem.

The problem is the inconsistency of the display after the tagging has been retagged to my personal satisfaction. It is a MinimServer tagFormat issue and how that format is used by Lumin App.

I use MP3TAG too. Highly recommended.

To the OP:what Phil A is trying to say is that the problem could be the tagging software that you are using. You can try out MP3TAG for free and see if that works.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    I use MP3TAG too. Highly recommended.

To the OP:what Phil A is trying to say is that the problem could be the tagging software that you are using. You can try out MP3TAG for free and see if that works.
    FWIW, I use jRiver and Metadatics for tagging.

@wklie: My specific question is how does Lumin App treat MinimServer
    tagFormat
    AlbumArtist.displayFormat={$albumartist$conductor$ orchestra}

It appears to use the string as expected with the exception of the top line (see my pict in the original post).

I should also mention that I use
    tagOption
    AlbumArtist.reverseName.display, Composer.reverseName.display, Conductor.reverseName.display
    if that matters at all. I use these tagOptions because I prefer indexing with LastName, FirstName and display with FirstName, LastName.

All works well, and displays as it should except for the top section of Lumin App.

If this is a question better answered by Simon at Minimserver, please let me know. I did not think it would be so I came here first.

If one uses JRiver for tagging, it was my understanding (could be wrong or old info) that the tags in JRiver only are good when using JRiver. So that if you go to use the Lumin App those tags may not display.
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

If one uses JRiver for tagging, it was my understanding (could be wrong or old info) that the tags in JRiver only are good when using JRiver. So that if you go to use the Lumin App those tags may not display.
    Thanks, but that information is incorrect, or old, or both. I've been using JRiver since 2013 and I have never seen that behavior. I've used JRiver tagged music (about 2TB worth) with mConnect, Lumin App, Audirvana, Linn Kinsky, and others and never had a problem with the tagging.

Sometimes JRiver doesn't like a special character but it always fails within the JRiver App itself. I also use Metadactics because it is much easier to use when you are doing batch processing. Years ago I tried MP3TAG but stopped using it for a reason I can't recall. It might have been the UI.

Lumin highly recommends that users of their streamers use Minimserver. It seems odd that there isn't a more in depth users guide to understanding the interplay between Lumin App and Minimserver.

I was hoping I could get support from Lumin in understanding how Lumin interprets Minimserver strings in Properties (i.e., tagFormat and tagOption). That was the purpose of this thread. All of my tags are displaying fine; it's the displayFormat Property that I am trying to understand, and that in only one location.

I'll try over at the Minimserver forums.

Lumin app does not care about tagFormat, i.e. not supported. As for the inconsistency, that needs to be looked at later. On app development we've been busy with complying 64-bit Android requirements from Google.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Lumin app does not care about tagFormat, i.e. not supported. As for the inconsistency, that needs to be looked at later. On app development we've been busy with complying 64-bit Android requirements from Google.
    Thank you Peter. That is all I needed to know.

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigaj View Post
    Thank you Peter. That is all I needed to know.
    Looks like your whole issue was you tagging app. You should check with Peter if MP3TAG works with Lumin and then you will be all set.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    Looks like your whole issue was you tagging app. You should check with Peter if MP3TAG works with Lumin and then you will be all set.
    The tagging app has nothing to do with it. I got the information I needed from Peter.
    Lumin A1
    Pre Amps: Mini DSP SHD, Threshold NS-10 (Recapped)
    Amps: Modwright KWA150SE, Threshold 400A (Recapped)
    NAS: Synology DS1513+
    Turntable: VPI HW19 MKIV DVxx2mkII Moerch arm VPI SDS

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigaj View Post
    The tagging app has nothing to do with it. I got the information I needed from Peter.
    Glad you got your answer this time. With that kind of attitude you might not get many folks trying to help you in the future. I know I for one won't try. Good luck!

@nicoff

Sorry if I have offended you. I did not mean to. Honestly.

The interaction between Minimserver and Lumin App is an area that I wish to understand better. This is made somewhat difficult because Minimserver is not a part of the Pixel Magic Systems / Lumin family. As such, much of the flexibility that Minimserver offers in its Properties are not supported or partially supported by Lumin App.

That was why I started this thread and that was what Peter responded to.

No offense was intended.
    Lumin A1

In the interest of closure, Simon Nash over at Minimserver solved the inconsistency. A screenshot of his reply and my followup response:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Lumin A1

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Minimserver TagFormat is not consistent on Lumin App