Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

YG Acoustics Carmel 2 / Magico S1 Mk II

Hi all,

Just making comparisons between the two pairs of speakers. I listened to YGs and found them impressive to say the least.

Really appreciate comparisons/pros-cons for the two. The YG is at higher price point so am a bit sceptical if it is a fair comparison on a price point of view. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Turntable: VPI Prime - Ortofon Quintet S Black - VPI ADS
    Digital Source: dCS Bartok w/headphone amp
    Preamp: Soulution 520
    Amplifier: Soulution 511
    Speakers: Rockport Atria II
    Power conditioning- Shunyata Research Denali 6000T v1
    Power cord: AQ Thunder/Transparent Audio XL Gen 6
    Interconnect: Transparent Audio Super Gen 5 XLR and tonearm cable / Transparent Audio Gen 6
    Rack: Critical Mass Sotto Voce/ Critical Mass Black Platinum/MXR spike

Re: YG Acoustics Carmel 2 / Magico S1 Mk II

Quote Originally Posted by Bob82 View Post
    Hi all,

Just making comparisons between the two pairs of speakers. I listened to YGs and found them impressive to say the least.

Really appreciate comparisons/pros-cons for the two. The YG is at higher price point so am a bit sceptical if it is a fair comparison on a price point of view. Thanks.

Hi Bob,

I did that exact same comparison about three years ago or whenever the S1Mk2 was released.

I can describe what I heard from a consumer perspective as I had no bias towards either brand.

I compared both speakers using the same front end (at that time) Pass Labs INT-60 ; Schiit Yggy Gen 1 DAC; Laptop running Audrivana. All cables were AQ ; Oak and Earth. Power was Shunyata on both systems.

Yes, I pretty much brought my systems to each dealers. Both were very accommodating. After all we were talking about a lot of money (to me at least).

Although it wasn’t able to have both speakers in the same room and swapping out speaker cables. This was the best I could to make my decisions.

Please see below for the pros and cons (from my perspective)I typed down at the time on my laptop during those sessions.

Magico S1Mk2 PROS

1.) Less expensive MSRP

2.) The highs are superior to the YG Carmel 2 (Magico’s Diamond Coated ) tweeter is very high resolution. The treble is probably (even to this day 2019) the best I’ve heard.

Magico S1 Mk2 CONS

1.) Bass or LFE Output- Even with the same electronics; The Magico lacked in low end and def didn’t reach as low as the YG.

2.) Non upgradable - When Magico releases an S1 Mk3; the Mk2 owners can’t upgrade without selling their entire speaker to purchase the new model.

YG Carmel 2 PROS

1.) Easier to drive than the S1Mk2. The YG’s opened up a lot more than the Magico with Pass INT-60. As a result, I felt the bass and sound as a whole picture was just more rounded. The sound was more open and played bigger.

2.) Build Quality. I found the YG Carmel 2 and their speakers to be built on the level of the Magico Q series and not the S. Keep in my mind; YG has 1 line; Magico now has 3. Little things like the machined binding posts on YG compared to the plastic ones on the S1Mk2. Splitting hairs here.

3.) Upgradeability - YG has an upgraded path for their customers. Whereas Magico doesn’t.

Conclusion:

I purchased the Carmel 2s and still enjoying them to this day three years later.

Although sometimes wish it had more treble resolution ; that is the 1 and only con or downside to the Carmel 2.

However, after hearing the Sonja XV with the billet-dome tweeter; I have great faith and confidence that once this technology trickles down to the Carmel ; that will suffice for me as pretty much a destination or end game speaker for me.

Unless of course I moved to a bigger room and which I would go for the Hailey 2.2s.

YG has proven that their existing Sonja and Hailey customers can upgrade to their latest technology (tweeter) if they desire to do so.

The combination of those factors led me to choose YG over Magico.

Quote Originally Posted by mdp632 View Post
    Hi Bob,

I did that exact same comparison about three years ago or whenever the S1Mk2 was released.

I can describe what I heard from a consumer perspective as I had no bias towards either brand.

I compared both speakers using the same front end (at that time) Pass Labs INT-60 ; Schiit Yggy Gen 1 DAC; Laptop running Audrivana. All cables were AQ ; Oak and Earth. Power was Shunyata on both systems.

Yes, I pretty much brought my systems to each dealers. Both were very accommodating. After all we were talking about a lot of money (to me at least).

Although it wasn’t able to have both speakers in the same room and swapping out speaker cables. This was the best I could to make my decisions.

Please see below for the pros and cons (from my perspective)I typed down at the time on my laptop during those sessions.

Magico S1Mk2 PROS

1.) Less expensive MSRP

2.) The highs are superior to the YG Carmel 2 (Magico’s Diamond Coated ) tweeter is very high resolution. The treble is probably (even to this day 2019) the best I’ve heard.

Magico S1 Mk2 CONS

1.) Bass or LFE Output- Even with the same electronics; The Magico lacked in low end and def didn’t reach as low as the YG.

2.) Non upgradable - When Magico releases an S1 Mk3; the Mk2 owners can’t upgrade without selling their entire speaker to purchase the new model.

YG Carmel 2 PROS

1.) Easier to drive than the S1Mk2. The YG’s opened up a lot more than the Magico with Pass INT-60. As a result, I felt the bass and sound as a whole picture was just more rounded. The sound was more open and played bigger.

2.) Build Quality. I found the YG Carmel 2 and their speakers to be built on the level of the Magico Q series and not the S. Keep in my mind; YG has 1 line; Magico now has 3. Little things like the machined binding posts on YG compared to the plastic ones on the S1Mk2. Splitting hairs here.

3.) Upgradeability - YG has an upgraded path for their customers. Whereas Magico doesn’t.

Conclusion:

I purchased the Carmel 2s and still enjoying them to this day three years later.

Although sometimes wish it had more treble resolution ; that is the 1 and only con or downside to the Carmel 2.

However, after hearing the Sonja XV with the billet-dome tweeter; I have great faith and confidence that once this technology trickles down to the Carmel ; that will suffice for me as pretty much a destination or end game speaker for me.

Unless of course I moved to a bigger room and which I would go for the Hailey 2.2s.

YG has proven that their existing Sonja and Hailey customers can upgrade to their latest technology (tweeter) if they desire to do so.

Hi mdp, thanks for your points.
    I also have audition of Carmel 2 and magico, albeit was s3mk2 rather than s1mk2.

The caveat is the setup was different. Carmel 2 was paired with lumin D2 and vitus RI-101 and Magico was with soulution amp and a CD player (cannot remember the brand)

I agree with most of the points above. But cannot comment on the low end part as s3mk2 is bigger.

Coming from focal utopia beryllium tweeter, I found that magico tweeter has more high extension than YG (similar characteristic as focal tweeter).
    However I found it too much for my taste. Carmel 2 was more easy listening/warmish (vitus may contribute to this too), and retained good resolution.

Other good point for Carmel 2 was the coherency.

At the end, I go for Carmel 2.

The other point to make is Carmel 2 really need sufficient run in. Initially the bass was hollow and lacking. But now there is significant improvement. I am on about 200 hours and still need another 200 hours

Quote Originally Posted by mdp632 View Post
    Hi Bob,

Magico S1Mk2 PROS

1.) Less expensive MSRP

Magico S1 Mk2 CONS

YG Carmel 2 PROS

Conclusion:

Hi mdp,

You mentioned upgradability of the YGs, It is indeed nice that you don’t have to sell your old speakers if the new revision comes.

I realised the treble resolution is not overly emphasised and sounds just right to my ears. Not a fan of shrill sounding speakers.

On the subject of amplification, what have you got driving the Carmels now? Planning on driving them tube amps- VAC.

Interconnect: Transparent Audio Super Gen 5 XLR and tonearm cable / Transparent Audio Gen 6

Quote Originally Posted by kimurastanley View Post
    Hi mdp, thanks for your points.
    I also have audition of Carmel 2 and magico, albeit was s3mk2 rather than s1mk2.

The caveat is the setup was different. Carmel 2 was paired with lumin D2 and vitus RI-101 and Magico was with soulution amp and a CD player (cannot remember the brand)

I agree with most of the points above. But cannot comment on the low end part as s3mk2 is bigger.

Coming from focal utopia beryllium tweeter, I found that magico tweeter has more high extension than YG (similar characteristic as focal tweeter).
    However I found it too much for my taste. Carmel 2 was more easy listening/warmish (vitus may contribute to this too), and retained good resolution.

Other good point for Carmel 2 was the coherency.

At the end, I go for Carmel 2.

The other point to make is Carmel 2 really need sufficient run in. Initially the bass was hollow and lacking. But now there is significant improvement. I am on about 200 hours and still need another 200 hours
    The Carmels sound like their partnering electronics it seems. Very easy to show off bad recordings too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob82 View Post
    Hi mdp,

You mentioned upgradability of the YGs, It is indeed nice that you don’t have to sell your old speakers if the new revision comes.

I realised the treble resolution is not overly emphasised and sounds just right to my ears. Not a fan of shrill sounding speakers.

On the subject of amplification, what have you got driving the Carmels now? Planning on driving them tube amps- VAC.

Bob ,

Have you heard the new Hailey or Sonja 2s with the billetdome tweeter ?

if so and you like what you heard ; that’s promising for the future of Yg Carmel.

I’ve found that Yg speakers will simply convey the electronics behind them. Both positive and negative. This is a good thing imho as it easily allow you to find something you like or don’t.

Ive never heard them with tube amps. So , I can’t comment on tubes and Yg.

I’m now using Spectral electronics. Which is a rare but , amazing imho combination.

I previously used Pass labs amps.

Yg speakers require a lot of current to get them to sing but once they open up.

Enjoy and keep us posted on your decision

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

YG Acoustics Carmel 2 / Magico S1 Mk II