Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Speaker placement

With all the changes I have done, I decided to double check my speaker placement.

I ended up moving things well within an inch, and happy I did. Just a little back and forth here and there; I dialed in my sound a tad tighter.

I used the AirShim to help since my speakers are about 256 lbs a piece sitting on carpet over concrete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Re: Speaker placement

Good on ya, Ed!

I've found that positioning is key and just a fraction of a inch at times can make a notable difference. I still have to determine the optimal position for the Harbeths, but I will work on that once my Resonant Woods stands arrive on Friday.

Cheers,
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    I ended up moving things well within an inch, and happy I did.
    You put the wrong photo.
    Where are the speakers?

Buy a laser measure. Tape measures can’t compare to the ease and accuracy of a laser measure.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Buy a laser measure. Tape measures can’t compare to the ease and accuracy of a laser measure.
    Or, the precision for that matter!

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Or, the precision for that matter!
    I equate accuracy with precision. I can get both speakers within the tolerance limit of my laser measure to .125 of an inch.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

I equate accuracy with precision. I can get both speakers within the tolerance limit of my laser measure to .125 of an inch.
    Which laser measure unit do you use Mark?
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    Which laser measure unit do you use Mark?
    Bosch Professional GLM 30. It makes it so much easier to align your speakers, especially if you toe them in.

Sweet I'll check it out thanks Mark
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Speaker placement

Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    You put the wrong photo.
    Where are the speakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Speaker placement

Their tight, but I did not use a laser and actually have one. My eye is tight, can’t see crap up close but a solid eye, but a much harder effort, no doubt!

Their tight, but I did not use a laser and actually have one. My eye is tight, can’t see crap up close but a solid eye, but a much harder effort, no doubt!

I thought they sounded a couple of inches off ?!
    Speakers: Magico S3 (23')
    Integrated:Gryphon Diablo 300 plus DAC
    Streamer: HiFi Rose RS150b
    CD/DVD: Oppo 205
    Cables: Cardas-Shunyata-AudioQuest-Supra
    Roon Core: sonicTransporter i7 powered with HDPlex 200w linear PS, running AudioLinux for Roon--Tidal and Qobuz with iPad Pro

Time is just a tool humans created to measure movement and record events

Actually, accuracy and precision are completely different things, though they are often confused with one another and used interchangeably.

As they are completely different things, they are also measured differently statistically.

Accuracy is a meaure of how close to the "truth" something, e.g., a measurement, actually is. And, there is always "a truth." The way that accuracy is measured is by comparison to a standard or set of standards that represents "the truth". The difference between the observed (measured value) and the "truth" is referred to as "bias". Accuracy is reported as some unit of 'bias' relative to these standards. This is why NIST is so important, because they provide these standards.

I'd predict that the 0.125 inch you cite above as the "tolerance" is actually the meaure of your laser measure's bias, not a measure of its precision.

Precision is the "repeatibility" of a set of measurements. It is a measure of the variation of a set of repeated measurements. It is usually expressed as standard deviation, variance or C.V. (coefficient of variation, which is unitless).

So, it is entirely possible to have an inaccurate, precise set of measurements, and also an accurate, imprecise set of measurements. Worst case is the measurements are both inaccurate AND imprecise.

Any measurement device, e.g. a laser measure should be both ACCURATE (reflective of the "truth" of the measurement, i.e, minimal bias) and also PRECISE, so that one can take repeated measurements and have statistical confidence that the variance in the repeated set of measure is acceptably small for the task at hand, or fit for purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Actually, accuracy and precision are completely different things, though they are often confused with one another and used interchangeably.

As they are completely different things, they are also measured differently statistically.

Accuracy is a meaure of how close to the "truth" something, e.g., a measurement, actually is. And, there is always "a truth." The way that accuracy is measured is by comparison to a standard or set of standards that represents "the truth". The difference between the observed (measured value) and the "truth" is referred to as "bias". Accuracy is reported as some unit of 'bias' relative to these standards. This is why NIST is so important, because they provide these standards.

I'd predict that the 0.125 inch you cite above as the "tolerance" is actually the meaure of your laser measure's bias, not a measure of its precision.

Precision is the "repeatibility" of a set of measurements. It is a measure of the variation of a set of repeated measurements. It is usually expressed as standard deviation, variance or C.V. (coefficient of variation, which is unitless).

So, it is entirely possible to have an inaccurate, precise set of measurements, and also an accurate, imprecise set of measurements. Worst case is the measurements are both inaccurate AND imprecise.

Any measurement device, e.g. a laser measure should be both ACCURATE (reflective of the "truth" of the measurement, i.e, minimal bias) and also PRECISE, so that one can take repeated measurements and have statistical confidence that the variance in the repeated set of measure is acceptably small for the task at hand, or fit for purpose.
    You missed your calling. The bottom line is that you will set up a pair of speakers using a laser measure to a higher standard of precision than if you use a tape measure or multiple tape measures.

In most dictionaries, precision and accuracy are considered possible synonyms. In science and engineering, they are not. FWIW, if anyone cares, etc.
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

Well, I don't see any head vice with the left and right ear laser attachments at your seat, so your tape measure is more than "accurate/precise" enough.
    Sit back and enjoy some tunes, one less thing to OCD on.

cheers,

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    In most dictionaries, precision and accuracy are considered possible synonyms. In science and engineering, they are not. FWIW, if anyone cares, etc.
    In the context of this conversation, precision and accuracy are interchangeable. This is not a scientific discussion. This is about replacing a tape measure with a laser measure to make your life easier and achieve a much tighter tolerance setting up your speakers than you can with a tape measure.

You might want to check your toe in angles with your laser. So I see the submarine above your TV. Were you in the Navy and a submariner?

Audioshark

Beautiful setup and room. Check toe in. I’m sure it’s just the picture, but the right speaker looks more toed in than the left. Again, probably just the angle of the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Beautiful setup and room. Check toe in. I’m sure it’s just the picture, but the right speaker looks more toed in than the left. Again, probably just the angle of the camera.

I thought the exact same thing Mike which is why I suggested he check his toe in with his laser.

Thanks!
    Always a pleasure to look at your room and your system

You might want to check your toe in angles with your laser. So I see the submarine above your TV. Were you in the Navy and a submariner?
    It’s the picture, it measures proper.

Yes, I navigated nuc boats during the beginning of the end of the Cold War - fun times

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Yes, camera

Congratulations!!! Beautiful place to enjoy music.

Should the toe in necessarily be the same with both speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Should the toe in necessarily be the same with both speakers?
    I have always had walls on both side that are equal, so yes under this circumstance which helps center imaging.

I don’t know for guys that have open walls, windows or other non equal attributes that bring on their own set of challenges I’m sure.

It’s the picture, it measures proper.

Yes, I navigated nuc boats during the beginning of the end of the Cold War - fun times

I spent 12 years at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard.

I was based in San Diego and Pearl, with a few months in the yards in Vallejo and Bremerton

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Speaker placement