Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

How much to spend?

How much money do you have to spend to get a "decent" TT (cartridge included) without breaking the bank? $1000? More? Less?

Re: How much to spend?

I'd say decent for many people starts around $500 without phono stage. Personally I'd place my own "decent" level in the $5000 ballpark. My current setup, where I don't have thoughts of upgrading, is a little over $30k for the turntable, tonearm, cartridge, and phono stage plus miscellaneous.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    How much money do you have to spend to get a "decent" TT (cartridge included) without breaking the bank? $1000? More? Less?
    It depends on how you define "decent." Here is one recommendation that exactly fits your budget and includes the cartridge and it's all brand new:

https://www.audioadvice.com/music-ha...xoCp4sQAvD_BwE
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Consider option ability over fixed features in order to stair step upgrades down the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

The Marantz TT-15S1 seems popular in the $1500 range. Plenty of reviews on YouTube

The Marantz Serge mentioned really is a nice package, the table is actually a Clearaudio and I believe the cart is as well.

Not shopped in a while but I think you can get a Rega P2 set up for $1k or less. I like the Rega a lot, using a P3 for years before my current table. Both the P2 & 3 have a host of aftermarket upgrades that can be done as well.

Sota also has a nice table under $1k. Made in USA.

There's other in your range from Music Hall and the like as well.

So I think you can get a decent set up in that $1k range. I ran my Rega with Krell, then with Conrad Johnson, I was happy with it. I used the Elys 2 and then a Dynavector 10x5 which both were right around half the cost of the table.

All of the above are without an outboard phono stage.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Speaking of my Rega P3, at the time I was using CD players in the $3k range give or take. I could listen to the P3, whose sound was different, yet still enjoyable, or, on par with the CD players I used.

It wasn't until stepping up the digital that I felt like I had to step up the analog to keep up. Then I realized my LP's probably weren't worth spending beyond were I'm at now. I have a lot of Rock I collected in my younger years.

I personally want all my sources to be enjoyable to listen to. One reason I no longer have a tuner or cassette deck. If a source is lagging in performance compared to my other sources I just won't listen to it. So why have it.

Another real concern for you being out where no hi fi is, unless you have prior turntable experience setting them up, you need to look for one that is pretty much plug & play. If memory serves that Marantz is. My Rega was not.

You can buy a great table but if it isn't set up correctly, you wasted your money.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

There is the VPI Cliffwood to consider as well.

E.g. Clearaudio Concept gets you going in a first step. Available with in-house MM or MC system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

I'm not sure how much the Concept Wood is, I saw the distributor announced a big sale on the package.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    E.g. Clearaudio Concept gets you going in a first step. Available with in-house MM or MC system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

all good suggestions in and around the price point you mentioned. My question to you is, are you starting out or getting 'back in' ? The reason I ask is if you already have a top notch digital playback and want something to play your old LP's from an earlier time, all well and good but if you have no LP's to start with I ask...... why ?
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    all good suggestions in and around the price point you mentioned. My question to you is, are you starting out or getting 'back in' ? The reason I ask is if you already have a top notch digital playback and want something to play your old LP's from an earlier time, all well and good but if you have no LP's to start with I ask...... why ?

VERY good question. I'm still trying to answer it. Thinking vinyl was going the way of the Oldsmobile and that my collection would take forever to get rid of on the net, I gave my vinyl away.

Man, I wish I hadn't done that now. Really dumb move on my part. But my wife was hounding me because of the amount room the LPs were taking up (we live in a small house with very little storage space). I had 8 - 10 cardboard boxes full of vinyl. Somewhere around 1000 to 1500 albums. And after some research I found they weren't really worth very much. Mostly '50s, '60s, and '70s rock and jazz. They were so heavy that shipping would have eaten up most of any prophet. So now I'm completely vinyl-less. I did rip all my CDs (maybe a couple thousand) to iTunes and put them all on an external HD. I'm now thinking I'll just do streaming and listen to ripped CDs. It would be rather expensive to start over from scratch with a new vinyl collection.

I do have an early '90s Technics quartz automatic DD TT (DD33) that's in mint condition but it likely has pretty average tone compared to current TTs. It looks like I'd spend about $1500 on a new TT before getting into decent tone territory. Not sure it would be worth it. OTOH, shopping for new and old vinyl would be fun.....for me. Not sure about the wife? I'm sure I could start another vinyl collection if I didn't get too carried away. But the cost:benefit ratio is a little weak. I dunno. Still gotta give it more thought.

thanks for answering my question and shedding some more light on the subject.

Perhaps, given that you say your DD33 is still in perfect shape, cartridge ? start out with it on some used Lp's and see if the magic is still there for you. If not , stop the bleeding before you get carried away.

If doing this for 'chits & giggles' is all you're after then $1000-1500 can certainly get you back 'in' but if you want to get serious then all that will buy you is a good cartridge ...........
    Cheers ! …. Dave

It has always amazed me that those little tiny cartridges can cost so dang much.

I've had a Fluance RT-82 for over a year. It was $300 with an Ortofon Om10. Works great. It stops at the end of a side. My at120usb, also $300, has had no issues. They're not available, new, any longer. I use both tables and several different carts and stylus. The Fluance goes into the phono input of a Denon int. amp. The AT into a Rolls preamp then aux in. I like the Rolls even though a review of a Music Hall preamp showed it was a Rolls in a different box(it said Rolls on the board) said the build Q was sloppy. The Rolls $50, Music Hall $100 same board. I got mine for $15 used. Works great.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

A really good turntable costs minimum $8K for a Rega RP10 w/cartridge, that could justify the room a vinyl collection will quickly occupy not to mention the cost of all those records just sitting on shelves. I suggest upgrading your DAC. My Playback Designs MPD8 has saved me an amount equal to its cost in vinyl records I did not buy. I marvel at all the YT channels by vinyl guys and their 1,000s of records -- who has that kind of room? I like watching the videos by John Devore, 45rpm and others who do record reviews, but those records sound just as good streamed on a great DAC.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

How much to spend?