How much to spend? - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much to spend?

all good suggestions in and around the price point you mentioned. My question to you is, are you starting out or getting 'back in' ? The reason I ask is if you already have a top notch digital playback and want something to play your old LP's from an earlier time, all well and good but if you have no LP's to start with I ask...... why ?
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    all good suggestions in and around the price point you mentioned. My question to you is, are you starting out or getting 'back in' ? The reason I ask is if you already have a top notch digital playback and want something to play your old LP's from an earlier time, all well and good but if you have no LP's to start with I ask...... why ?

VERY good question. I'm still trying to answer it. Thinking vinyl was going the way of the Oldsmobile and that my collection would take forever to get rid of on the net, I gave my vinyl away.

Man, I wish I hadn't done that now. Really dumb move on my part. But my wife was hounding me because of the amount room the LPs were taking up (we live in a small house with very little storage space). I had 8 - 10 cardboard boxes full of vinyl. Somewhere around 1000 to 1500 albums. And after some research I found they weren't really worth very much. Mostly '50s, '60s, and '70s rock and jazz. They were so heavy that shipping would have eaten up most of any prophet. So now I'm completely vinyl-less. I did rip all my CDs (maybe a couple thousand) to iTunes and put them all on an external HD. I'm now thinking I'll just do streaming and listen to ripped CDs. It would be rather expensive to start over from scratch with a new vinyl collection.

I do have an early '90s Technics quartz automatic DD TT (DD33) that's in mint condition but it likely has pretty average tone compared to current TTs. It looks like I'd spend about $1500 on a new TT before getting into decent tone territory. Not sure it would be worth it. OTOH, shopping for new and old vinyl would be fun.....for me. Not sure about the wife? I'm sure I could start another vinyl collection if I didn't get too carried away. But the cost:benefit ratio is a little weak. I dunno. Still gotta give it more thought.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for answering my question and shedding some more light on the subject.

Perhaps, given that you say your DD33 is still in perfect shape, cartridge ? start out with it on some used Lp's and see if the magic is still there for you. If not , stop the bleeding before you get carried away.

If doing this for 'chits & giggles' is all you're after then $1000-1500 can certainly get you back 'in' but if you want to get serious then all that will buy you is a good cartridge ...........
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Post Thanks / Like

It has always amazed me that those little tiny cartridges can cost so dang much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2