Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

If you haven’t heard it, you have no opinion

I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve read online how someone thinks something sounds or worse people who didn’t attend a particular show, but seemingly know everything about it, each room and what the problems were.

If people attend, they may disagree - that’s normal. But if you didn’t attend, you have no opinion and one brand isn’t the proverbial holy grail for all rooms at a show.

Be careful of brand ambassadors that think their favorite brand is the cure all.

Rant over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: If you haven’t heard it, you have no opinion

Mike.......Amen!
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

What if the brands name is Elixir?

Agreed

So very true.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

This mindset would shut most other forums down and why I read most posts here.

We get real world experience and reviews of items members have heard or owned.

I trust what I learn here more than most other comments or reviews elsewhere.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve read online how someone thinks something sounds or worse people who didn’t attend a particular show, but seemingly know everything about it, each room and what the problems were.

If people attend, they may disagree - that’s normal. But if you didn’t attend, you have no opinion and one brand isn’t the proverbial holy grail for all rooms at a show.

Be careful of brand ambassadors that think their favorite brand is the cure all.

Rant over.

Agreed. Perhaps some folks just like to hear themselves talk? I’ve personally never relied on the magazine reviews to select my gear nor paid too much attention to the opinions of the masses but have relied on the ears of experienced and serious audiophiles who I was certain would offer me an unbiased opinion and have not been disappointed, on few occasions.

Otherwise We might as well give opinions on wine and violins while being blindfolded

I can hardly wait for the day when I can offer an opinion.....January here I come!

Well said Mike!
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

The trouble is that people who go to shows claim to have heard everything.

I would extend one of your rules to say that hearing one speaker in a multi-model lineup a few years ago, doesn't qualify you to discuss the sound of a brand new model sound unheard.

Rant over.

And then there are those who go to shows and then opine how a particular brand always sounds bad and thus sucks. I am thinking in particular of those folks who have heard Magico bright, thin and sterile sounding and then think this is the sound of the brand. On another forum I try to tell some know-it-alls with self-proclaimed expert 'authority' that it doesn't matter if you have heard Magico 20 times under suboptimal conditions -- if you haven't once heard Magico under optimal conditions you might as well not have heard it, even if you have encountered "the sound" 20 times. I have heard Magico in friends' optimized systems countless times, and the sound is natural, full and dynamic.

Shows suck.

Rant over.

PS: I have no stake in the Magico controversy since I don't own speakers of the brand and don't plan to do so. But I cannot be silent about what I hear.
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    And then there are those who go to shows and then opine how a particular brand always sounds bad and thus sucks. I am thinking in particular of those folks who have heard Magico bright, thin and sterile sounding and then think this is the sound of the brand. On another forum I try to tell some know-it-alls with self-proclaimed expert 'authority' that it doesn't matter if you have heard Magico 20 times under suboptimal conditions -- if you haven't once heard Magico once under optimal conditions you might as well not have heard it, even if you have encountered "the sound" 20 times. I have heard Magico in friends' optimized systems countless times, and the sound is natural, full and dynamic.

Shows suck.

Rant over.

PS: I have no stake in the Magico controversy since I don't own speakers of the brand and don't plan to do so. But I cannot be silent about what I hear.
    I agree. It's fine if someone attends the show and says "I didn't care for room 355". Someone else may have loved that room. It's all fine. My issue is when some clown (and probably a paid brand ambassador) that never attended a show thinks his fan boy brand is the panacea for every room at the show.

Better yet, I love the guys who can hear that 354hz suck out. Man, you have to have good ears for that. LOL. NOT!

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Youtube allows you to experience it long distance. I read that on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    LOL!

Don't get me started on this one...
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

There's a dealer on another forum who will tell you exactly how any combination of audio gear will sound. Naturally, the brands he carries are better.

It's interesting that he views equipment as having essentially chaotic "synergies" that can "make the magic happen", but when he tells you how your system sounds he essentially acts like different amps and cables behave like predictable tone controls. I think these are mutually exclusive views.
    Last edited by ahofer; July 20, 2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: clarity

Rant over.

Mike, can I have what you’re having?

But seriously, this has been a nuisance at times. Good to see it’s been addressed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

“There's a dealer on another forum who will tell you exactly how any combination of audio gear will sound. Naturally, the brands he carries are better.“

Yup. I usually manage to ignore him, but last night he jumped into a thread for no reason at all to dispute someone else’s experiences, other than to pimp one of his brands. I got annoyed, called it spam, and of course he posted some lengthy nonsense about how he is the only person who knows how to compare gear, the magazines are all terrible, blah blah blah. And I woke up today to find my post was yanked.

As funny as that is, it is amazing how some of those can be pretty good. You can tell Gryphon and Magico sounds better than Cambridge and Polk.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

You can read it on the Internet and sadly in this forum too. Clowns whose only basis for evaluation is a short YouTube clip who then go on to decry product X as deficient in bass or overbearing in treble. I guess they can claim they have heard it.....
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Audioshark

Worst is the guy who probably didn’t even watch a YouTube video, but knows his favorite electronics will save the day for every room at every show, no matter what.

...And then there was this guy who pulled every link on the Internet he could find to promote a certain brand of speakers he was brand ambassador for, absolutely comical.

It did end a bit sadly though...

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    ...And then there was this guy who pulled every link on the Internet he could find to promote a certain brand of speakers he was brand ambassador for, absolutely comical.

It did end a bit sadly though...

The great irony is that Raidho purchased Gamut and now has the Gamut designer, Benno Baun Meldgaard designing all their new speakers beginning with the TD 3.8’s (http://raidho.dk/team/benno-baun-meldgaard/). The TD 3.8’s were his first full design, with 2.8 and 1.8 to follow (launching in September). Now they have 8 inch drivers for the bass instead of those stupid 4 inch drivers for the bass which got overloaded and popped easily.

I heard the TD 3.8’s at Munich and was very impressed.

Roy Gregory gives his impressions here: http://www.theaudiobeat.com/highend2...019_raidho.htm

The tweeter remains terrific and smooth and doesn’t rip your ears off or ring.

Also interesting that Raidho has now partnered with Nordost for cabling and Chord for electronics.

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2019/0...operation.html

Not surprised, 8” drivers should be able to produce proper bass.

Wish Raidho all the best Mike. After listening to the TD 3.8s at Munich are you thinking about picking up the brand again?
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    Wish Raidho all the best Mike. After listening to the TD 3.8s at Munich are you thinking about picking up the brand again?
    They contacted me two weeks ago. It’s at least worth a conversation. Since it looks like Tyler dumped the brand (https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...-1s-full-range), there’s hardly anyone left here in the U.S. and it appears they may have righted the ship. Amazing what some key personnel changes can accomplish.

But I get contacted about picking up brands all the time. There are a few I’m considering. I just added a new brand, Fyne Audio (https://suncoastaudio.com/product-tag/fyne-audio/). I’m the first U.S. dealer (watch for the copy cats now! LOL). I was blown away by their concentric driver speakers at Munich. The top 5 guys from Tannoy left and started Fyne audio. They have amazing expertise and $$ behind them. Their speakers are very efficient (perfect for the SET tube amps I love to sell like Viva) and the speakers are not the size of a bedroom closet. The Viva Solista will be getting heavy duty on the Fyne’s. VAC, Naim and Luxman 590 too. I’ll be starting with three of their lower priced models ($4-11K range).

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team