Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Room Treatments Advice

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    I know what FIR and IIR filters are. What are you using FIR for?
    You understand Toole is referring to changing the aural scene in room? I quoted him.
    Yes I understand.

I ran REW to generate the actual room response. Then I had someone generate the filters based on the REW data. I added the filters to Roon or HQPlayer. When I listen to music, I can choose to listen to it with or without the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    I ran REW to generate the actual room response. Then I had someone generate the filters based on the REW data. I added the filters to Roon or HQPlayer. When I listen to music, I can choose to listen to it with or without the filter.
    Nicoff, "REW" stands for Room Equalization Wizard. You're doing "room" EQ, which is in reality, speaker EQ.
    Like Toole, I advise this only for low frequencies <500Hz +/-. That would be speaker/room effects eq. Above this is pure speaker eq. A pressure mic does not "hear" what your 2 ears do. It simply records pressures at that point in space. It cannot "correct" the directivity of your mystery speakers.
    That is what Toole is referring to in my second quote. He's saying both room "treatment" and speaker directivity should be variable, depending on program material. But he also says that will never happen. Obviously, that's why I disagree with him.

Thanks AJ. I used REW to do a tone sweep and measured the room response at different locations in the room. Then I sent those files to Home Audio Fidelity (HAF) and they developed the filters using the room data.
    Their website provides more information.
    https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com/

Thanks AJ. I used REW to do a tone sweep and measured the room response at different locations in the room. Then I sent those files to Home Audio Fidelity (HAF) and they developed the filters using the room data.
    Their website provides more information.
    https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com/
    Interesting. About 95% of what they say is all true. But Toole referenced an interesting test (can't recall if he or other researchers did it) in his really informative book. They took a speaker and EQ'd it in an anechoic chamber, they smooth the on axis response a bit while carefully making sure that didn't significantly worsen the off axis. The measurements were free of any room influence.
    They then put the speaker in a room and used a EQ process like the one you use, which significantly flattened the measured "room" responses, which of course are a combination of the speaker and room (those cannot be separated, unlike in an anechoic chamber). The anechoic EQ'd speaker measured far worse in room. The microphone was a lot happier with the room EQd speaker.
    Then they did a double blind listening test. Can you guess which speaker won?
    Regardless, if you enjoy the different EQ presets with different material on your players, that's all that matters.
    54 posts in, we still don't know what's "ill" about that sound, which requires "treatments" .

cheers,

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    [...]
    54 posts in, we still don't know what's "ill" about that sound, which requires "treatments" .

I may of missed the reveal but think we still don't know what the speakers are either??

I've been following the thread with interest.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

I guess that there is nothing wrong with the room or the sound as long as I like it. Room Treatments Advice BTW, the speakers are MBL.

I guess that there is nothing wrong with the room or the sound as long as I like it. Room Treatments Advice BTW, the speakers are MBL.

Congratulations. I love MBL speakers. Which model do you have? I've heard MBL sound fabulous with no room treatments though being an omni design they generally benefit from placement away from front and sidewalls.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    Congratulations. I love MBL speakers. Which model do you have? I've heard MBL sound fabulous with no room treatments though being an omni design they generally benefit from placement away from front and sidewalls.
    Thank you Kiwi! I have the 101e mk II.

I have the 101e mk II.
    Nicoff, not sure why it took so long, but those are terrific speakers. No shame in admitting that whatsoever.
    Your speakers have very good off axis.

As I said, feel free to apply EQ below 500hz +/- where you see peaks/dips in the in room response. Cut peaks only, do not attempt to fill dips. I suspect the program you used did that already. I'd be surprised if that filter, engaged with Roon/HQ, doesn't improve at least the bass.
    About the only place I would recommend EQ > 500Hz +/-, is a 3-4db cut, Q 1.0 -0.7, at 6.5kHz. There is a bit of a peak there that might emphasize the sshh sounds a touch and add a bit of sibilance to vocals. Or, if you don't hear this, don't touch a thing.
    Regarding "treatments", if you are looking to make an audiophile fashion statement, just put stuff everywhere it looks cool. It might even make a microphone and your audio-visual perception happier.
    Otherwise, do nothing, or draw a line 90 degrees perpendicular to the speakers and place diffusion/diffusive elements from there back on the side walls and then wherever you can on front wall (behind speaker). Assuming of course, the speakers are already 1m minimum from side and front walls.

cheers,

AJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Room Treatments Advice