Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Audiohpile Ear

Now, I know we all rely on our "ears" to judge the outcome of such things as comparison of cables, components, speakers, etc...

We are often left with no other choice as "science" and the "audio world" do not always walk hand in hand and we know that all too well.

When science fails to offer a measurable difference in cables, when amplifiers measure the same, different power cords measure the same... We still claim to hear a substantial difference and the difference, or that which is immeasurable at this point, must be an elusive, mystical and perhaps quantum level phenomena.

Surely we have to have confidence in our "ears" or our hobby would be sort of pointless as far as chasing cables, isolation tweaks and other gadgets and gizmos go.

But... if some of the audiophiles are not musicians (much like many musicians are not audiophiles) could our ears be as good or perhaps better than a trained musician?

Many of us have heard the wonderful and almost mystical sound of a Stradivarius or Guarneri violin. Some claim they can never be duplicated. They cost upwards of $8M dollars. The sound is sublime.

Surely then professional musicians and specifically pro violin players should be able to hear a difference between a Stradivarius and a new violin while blindfolded?

Turns out that is not the case at all. I found that very surprising. https://www.newscientist.com/article.../#.U0QrXK2wJi5

So who thinks the "Audiophile Ear" is different from a "Professional Musican Ear" and could there be a difference?

Re: The Audiohpile Ear

This has the potential to get ugly, but here goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOctopus View Post
    Surely then professional musicians and specifically pro violin players should be able to hear a difference between a Stradivarius and a new violin while blindfolded?

Turns out that is not the case at all. I found that very surprising. https://www.newscientist.com/article.../#.U0QrXK2wJi5

So who thinks the "Audiophile Ear" is different from a "Professional Musican Ear" and could there be a difference?
    No, they are both connected to human brains.
    There are countless other studies that will show the same type thing. Not that all amps and cables. etc. sound the same - they don't, but rather that in many cases, if you reduce things to sound>ears only, there may be either no difference detected, or you did, but it turns out you prefer the opposite than you thought you did. I've seen plenty of both.
    The issue, is that you don't "hear" only the "sound" of a Strad or an amp or cable, except in a controlled/blind test. In "real life" "listening" you experience it. With your eyes, with your preconceived notions, touch, feel, belief, etc, etc. etc. Our only CPU has multi-sensory input. All are telling it something.
    It is only under that condition, if it makes you happy, that should should base your decisions on.
    A Timex may actually tell time slightly more accurately than a Rolex, not the opposite. But if offered either for free, most will take the Rolex. They both tell the same time. But the intrinsic pleasure, pride of ownership, "experience", etc. derived from the Rolex, will not be the same as the Timex. Just don't bash the Timex, Pioneer amp, Monster cable or the new violin. They may make you look silly in a blind test.
    Instead, enjoy the total experience of what you have, for what it is. There is strong science to suggest one really does derive more pleasure if one believes that thing is "better", regardless of whether it is.

cheers,

AJ

I agree. Our preconceived notions that something is more desirable and better because it is more expensive, up to and including hearing differences in a more expensive cable may very well be the explanation. The blindfold tests seem to confirm that fact, even when it comes to Stradivarius violins and professional ears. If one "expects" to hear a difference, it will be heard. When one does not involve the other senses and has no bias since it is not a purchase but an objective "blind" test, things become much more complex. But the main point is probably this, whether that cable made a difference or not, if one believes it did, it is all that matters to that individual. Illusion becomes indistinguishable from reality.

Here is one of the best I know of:

https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/105/3/1050.full.pdf

We conjecture that any action affecting expectations of product quality, such as expert quality ratings; peer reviews; information about country of origin, store, and brand names (especially those associated with luxury products); and repeated exposure to advertisements might lead to effects similar to those identified here.
    The paper provides evidence for the ability of marketing actions to modulate neural correlates of experienced pleasantness and for the mechanisms through which the effect operates.
    IOW, the science supports the notion that one should spend as much as you wish, because one really does derive more pleasure, based on this experience.
    If anyone ever questions why you should spend so much on something and there's no science to support that, show em this article.

cheers,

AJ

Bingo. I’m familiar with fMRI by the way, that was my job.

Audioshark

I’ve played sax for 40 years. Won awards. They’re hanging in my den. I can tell you, there are some wonderful saxophones and some real stinkers on the market today. Mine is a 1968 Selmer Mark VI, hand made in Paris. It’s only a few serial numbers off of David Sanborn’s. It has the tone I prefer. Is it the best? There is no best, it’s what suits your ear and your style of play. Have I played better? Yes, the new Yanigasawa AW037 had much better action, a more modern pitch and was much easier to play (“blow”), but it’s not my style. Comparing a modern Yanigasawa or Yamaha to a classic Selmer (especially a Selmer Balanced Action - like Paul Desmond played or Mark VI) is completely different.

As for cables, it’s one of the topics that drives me nuts. I get calls weekly from some cable company proclaiming their new cables to be the greatest thing since sliced bread and telling me it will beat anything I have today. Blah, blah, blah. It gets exhausting and has become somewhat comical. Just tour Munich and you will see a gazillion cable brands. Find the little Chinese lady by the front door on the main level and she will tell you all the manufacturers she makes cables for. It’s a long list. Want to make some Suncoast Audio cables for your customers? She has spools of different cables ready to be branded.

For me, cables DO MATTER. I chose my cable brands carefully. AudioQuest has a cable for every budget. Literally, EVERY SINGLE budget. They have a cable for everything. They have the widest selection I’ve ever seen. Their cables are super well made and dead nuts neutral pretty much. Never had to send one back for repairs either.

Shunyata works. It just works. They even have the measurements to show the NR technology at work. IT WORKS! Avantgarde’s like low noise floor and “meat on dem bones”. Shunyata checks both boxes. My system at home is covered with Shunyata.

MIT? Well, Magico likes MIT. Magico works great with MIT. I don’t know why, but you can hear it. It’s immediately noticeable. They sound more dynamic.

I recently added Analysis Plus because A. They sound great with MSB DAC’s and B. MSB really likes them for their DAC’s. So do I. I keep them focused on loaning to my MSB clients.

I frankly don’t care where anyone sits on the whole cable debate. I have friends who are happy with Home Depot outdoor lighting cable (true) and others who insist on the best from their favorite brand - buying the best Transparent, WW, whatever there is.

If anyone is a cable disbeliever (“they all sound the same”), I would invite them to the store for a simple demo we give. We take the Gryphon Diablo 300 (with DAC) and change ONE CABLE - the power cord. We will compare the stock cable to the AudioQuest Hurricane HC. The improvement is not subtle and the biggest disbelievers have been made into believers. One cable made that much improvement.

As for measurements, we can’t measure everything we can hear and that remains the rub. But let the science guys stick with their measurements. I’ll trust my ears.

If people are in the “my $50 cable is good enough” camp, good! They also won’t buy a turntable and be happy with their Sony or Oppo CD player as the perfect sound forever. Not going to waste my time trying to convince them either. Their loss, but probably just not their thing. Ignorance is bliss.

Hey, I’m the guy who bought a $99 bicycle from Costco 15 years ago. Still ride it to this day and see no point in getting anything better. My neighbor? He has a $10,000 racing bike he rides around the neighborhood. Happy for him. Not my thing.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I agree. Our preconceived notions that something is more desirable and better because it is more expensive, up to and including hearing differences in a more expensive cable may very well be the explanation. The blindfold tests seem to confirm that fact, even when it comes to Stradivarius violins and professional ears. If one "expects" to hear a difference, it will be heard. When one does not involve the other senses and has no bias since it is not a purchase but an objective "blind" test, things become much more complex. But the main point is probably this, whether that cable made a difference or not, if one believes it did, it is all that matters to that individual. Illusion becomes indistinguishable from reality.

I have bought cables and cords expecting to hear a difference and did not. I have also bought cables not expecting to hear a difference and was pleasantly surprised to hear a difference. Expectation bias does not work for every one.

I know what I hear and I know what I don't. Cables can and do sound different but not in all instances. Amps, preamps and DAC's more so.

I trust my ears and brain.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    I have bought cables and cords expecting to hear a difference and did not. I have also bought cables not expecting to hear a difference and was pleasantly surprised to hear a difference. Expectation bias does not work for every one.

I know what I hear and I know what I don't. Cables can and do sound different but not in all instances. Amps, preamps and DAC's more so.

I trust my ears and brain.
    I trust my ears and brain
    bingo
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

yes, a human being is not a robot. and hearing is complex. my hearing is pretty good, but for some things i have no explanation.

f.e:

yesterday you listened to your hifi system and were happy, it souned great and you could listen for hours. there was a connection between the music and your brain and senses etc. wow.

some days later you listen to exactly the same system and music and the sound is completly different. no connection. in fact it sucks. better switch of the power.

why?

"bad hifi day"? i had the same mood, no stress and was not more tired than some days before.

what has changed? my brains, my nerves, electric power - a change of the magnetic fields in the room? no idea.
    hifi:
    power: Audioplan Powerstar, Audioplan Finefilter, Audioplan Powerplant, Powercord
    tube amp: Jadis DA 50 Signature RC, Line Magnetic 508ia
    speaker: Living Voice Avatar 2
    turntable: Pro-Ject Xtension 10 + Ortofon Quintet Black MC
    phono stage: Remton 383 MKII
    cables: Audioplan Musicable bic 7a, Profigold, Wilbrand

home-cinema: Sony blu-ray, Yamaha rx v2700, Heco Metas 700 (4x), Heco center

Quote Originally Posted by tube-vds View Post
    yes, a human being is not a robot. and hearing is complex. my hearing is pretty good, but for some things i have no explanation.

f.e:

yesterday you listened to your hifi system and were happy, it souned great and you could listen for hours. there was a connection between the music and your brain and senses etc. wow.

some days later you listen to exactly the same system and music and the sound is completly different. no connection. in fact it sucks. better switch of the power.

why?

"bad hifi day"? i had the same mood, no stress and was not more tired than some days before.

what has changed? my brains, my nerves, electric power - a change of the magnetic fields in the room? no idea.
    We have precision instruments that go on supplying us with "reliable data" day after day, no matter what, or we'd never have achieved anything with precision and certainly would not have reached mars or the moon. The "same" electronic components seem to do just fine for intercontinental missiles, lasers, scanning electron microscopes, particle accelerators, precision medical devices, etc...All are consistent except when implemented in AUDIO, hence "bad hi-fi days". Magnetic fields, bad power, humidity, etc... Surely not all precision instruments rely on $10k power conditioners and surely such trivial things as a slight humidity change in a climate controlled environment should matter as far as electronics go! The slight change in sound wave propagation in relative humidity is very unlikely to cause any difference. It is a very slight change and irrelevant to the typical listening distances of an audio room.

Of course the examples of the trained and professional ears not being able to recognize a legendary instrument in a blind test and the fact that the article posted above clearly states that in the example of the wine tasting, elsewhere in the brain, the price of the wine changed and "overruled" the taste buds creating an illusion of a "different" and "better" wine when in fact it was the same....

None of that leads the audiophile to be suspicious of his own ears.... Not even the fact that human hearing fluctuates on a daily basis, some audiophiles have naturally "age related" hearing loss that is some -30 to -40 dB down and exhibits severe notch filtering at the same time. Nope, it can't be the ears!

So what I propose is to explore the possibility of the moon phases being responsible for "bad hifi days" Hey, anything is possible when it comes to "mystical audio".

f.e:

why?

Steve Guttenberg talked about this very thing about a year ago. It happens to me all the time. My son has also complained about this. I think that there is too much going on in our brain during those times. You can call it stress, distraction, mood or emotions but it definitely has an effect on our sensory organs.

Its just like when we have days that nothing, even your favorite foods do not taste good.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    Steve Guttenberg talked about this very thing about a year ago. It happens to me all the time. My son has also complained about this. I think that there is too much going on in our brain during those times. You can call it stress, distraction, mood or emotions but it definitely has an effect on our sensory organs.

Its just like when we have days that nothing, even your favorite foods do not taste good.
    How does Steve Guttenberg get around those days while being a reviewer? Are there "the wrong time of the month" days for audio reviews then?

A glitch in the Matrix.

Ever sit listening, really enjoying tunes, edge the volume, up, up, till you're really tapping your feet or swaying to the symphony...
    ... then the phone rings or something else stops you, pauses for a minute or 5.
    Then you sit back down and hit un-pause...wham! It sounds loud as heck. You scramble from the volume to turn it down. WTH, it could have been this loud before.
    Except is was.
    You're right. Despite belief, our brains are not static. They adapt and change to sounds and other sensory input continuously...and equally importantly, subconsciously.
    That means you are not in conscious control of your biases, including expectation, even when you believe you are.
    Btw, there is a whole chapter in Dr Tooles wonderful book about ...Adaptation. Great reading, along with the rest.

cheers,

AJ

We do tend to take the hobby way too seriously sometimes. I think it does somewhat distract from the primary objective of the hobby of "simply enjoying music". Each budget and personal preference will obviously dictate as to how high one wants to take this whole thing but tempers do tend to flare up when an opposing view of that uber component, speaker or cable is encountered. That part of the hobby tends to get ugly... I somewhat blame the manufacturers for that by the way. Pseudo-science approach betrays the "logical audiophile" and only causes doubts, confusion and further stress. Not much can be done about it, they are in the business of selling us what is promised to be the ultimate answer to our ailments in the system. Refreshing when a manufacturer does not resort to such tactics and even more refreshing when audiophiles admit that our ears are not perfect, audio is not mysticism and opinions are purely subjective as is personal taste, hence no need to try to convince others of anything really. At the end of the day, it is still simply about enjoying music IMHO, the shiny boxes are nothing more than a tool and none of the biggest, best, shiniest and most expensive boxes can ever truly transport us to the place where the recording took place. Perhaps someday, but it won't have anything to do with audio

How does Steve Guttenberg get around those days while being a reviewer?
    Ganja?

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Ganja?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    As for measurements, we can’t measure everything we can hear and that remains the rub. But let the science guys stick with their measurements. I’ll trust my ears.
    Being a scientist myself (albeit in an unrelated field, biochemistry), I agree that we can’t measure everything we can hear, and I trust my ears too. I would hope that most engineers also know that we can’t measure everything we can hear, or in many cases where we can, these are not the measurements actually performed (for starters, too many measurements just address static performance of components, e.g., with test tones, not the dynamic performance with music). But I guess some engineers think we have it all figured out, a way of thinking alien to a scientist. A real scientist knows how's that there is a lot we don't know -- that's what also drives the passion of science.
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

First of all I think that in the past, the ear of a musician and an audiophile do not look for the same thing. Regardless some musicians look hard for their identity kind of sound (the guitar and sound of David Gilmour are easily different from the guitar and sound of Mark Knopfler), they put the sound problems in the hands of the sound engineers. But with time and evolution, some artists began to have real concerns about the way their songs should sound at the end of the process. And some became audiophiles. And i´m sure a lot of more will came across this path if it wasn´t the internet and the fact of most young people are now listening in mp3 format, with some basic headphones when they walk or when they do something else. Even the record companies are now asking if it worth to spend 10.000 (dollars, euros, whatever) in a single microphone when the end customer does not care about sound quality. Yes, I think all the high end market is in danger. Like the cinema. A few days ago I read that in the future we will go the cinema like we go now to some show and we will pay much, much more then. So many things are endangered essentially because those who like them do not know how to care.

So what is an audiophile? Someone who looks for the excellence of sound reproduction based on an active listening. With time, yes, this can provide a more accurate ear. Even more than a musician? Well, there are examples of some musicians that did not hide their satisfaction and discovery when in contact with a great sound reproduction.

So, this is far from being all about placebo effect or pitfalls of our perception. Why do I waste time and a lot of work making my cables? Because there are amazing differences!

To be truth I don´t even understand how can be any doubts about the importance of cables when the signal comes across them. But what some “audiophiles” thinks is the same to me. More important is what a manufacturer think. Tell me the ones who "don´t believe" and I tell you they will never achieve the ultimate excellence.

I´m sure that, with time, science will measure what someone of us are “listening” today.

Meanwhile, passion is the key!

To me, case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    Being a scientist myself (albeit in an unrelated field, biochemistry)
    I agree that we can’t measure everything we can hear
    I don't.
    I'll explain. First, if it weren't obvious, I'm agnostic. Superstitous beliefs, not my bag. One of the first core engineering courses one must complete, is Logic. The above statement you made is a form of Wishful Thinking fallacy. Something is, because you wish it to be, not because of any evidence. It's very common!
    Further, if I came into a Biochemist forum, claiming that Biochemists can't measure everything and are totally misguided using their scientific methods, based on my knowledge as a Lawyer (who sells Biochemical products), how would that fly?
    Why do otherwise intelligent, educated folks in one field, think that makes them enough of an expert to argue electro-acoustic and perceptual science.? How much research and applicable knowledge outside their own fields..and in those fields, do they have?
    It's pretty easy to tell in any discussion. Just imagine me trying to discuss Biochemistry, or Law.

I would hope that most engineers also know that we can’t measure everything we can hear
    Name one thing, in acoustic fields captured by microphones, that can't be measured when reproducing said fields? Stereophonically, as in scientist/engineer Alan Blumleins creation? Do you honestly believe he had no idea how to measure what he created scientifically?
    But let's suspend logic for a second and say, ok, there are these mystical forces/attribute Z in stereophonic reproduction unknown to science, but present in widget Y, not X.
    Please explain how this this "Z" is designed, engineered and manufactured into Widget Y? How does that work?
    The "designer" call the capacitor company and says I need 1000 capacitors with "Z" embedded. They say, WTF is "Z"?
    Well, it can't be measured, its unknown to science or ultra-secret (which means it is known), but manufacture it in there anyway so audiophiles can hear it, but no one can measure it. This make sense to you?
    And exactly how do audiophiles determine that "Z" is in the soundwaves/soundfield? Did they isolate it there some way?
    If so, how/when, using what scientific method?
    As I clearly showed in the Wine link, it's entirely possible for there to be no change for humans to sense change (taste in this case). Should they be measuring the wine to see what happened?
    Or, is it possible that the human needs to be measured?
    That "Z" doesn't reside in the soundfield, and thus it's a fools errand/wild goose chase to measure the soundfield, when "Z" is actually a human measurement (like the fMRIs).
    *If* you claim that we don't know/can't measure everything yet about human , then yes, I fully agree. fMRIs are just scratching the surface.
    If you claim "Z" lies in the soundwaves, that is a purely objective claim. Let's see the evidence .
    "I heard it" doesn't count. People still hear Santa and dead relatives. That is only evidence of humanity, not Santa. We know what needs to be measured there.

Btw, "trust ears" is by definition, a blind/controlled test. That's all you can trust in a controlled test.
    In an uncontrolled test, you are trusting your eyes, beliefs, etc, etc just as much, as I explained.
    Non-blind/controlled "listening" is an "experience". You "experience" the DUT way beyond "ears" and "listening".
    We do it every day.

cheers,

AJ

Banned

Attached Images Attached Images

Being a scientist myself (albeit in an unrelated field, biochemistry), I agree that we can’t measure everything we can hear,
    I don't.
    I'll explain. First, if it weren't obvious, I'm agnostic. Superstitous beliefs, not my bag. One of the first core engineering courses one must complete, is Logic. The above statement you made is a form of Wishful Thinking fallacy. Something is, because you wish it to be, not because of any evidence. It's very common!
    Further, if I came into a Biochemist forum, claiming that Biochemists can't measure everything and are totally misguided using their scientific methods, based on my knowledge as a Lawyer (who sells Biochemical products), how would that fly?
    Why do otherwise intelligent, educated folks in one field, think that makes them enough of an expert to argue electro-acoustic and perceptual science.? How much research and applicable knowledge outside their own fields..and in those fields, do they have?
    It's pretty easy to tell in any discussion. Just imagine me trying to discuss Biochemistry, or Law.
    Ok, let me modify:
    In principle we should be able to measure everything we hear. But currently we don't know how to do that, since we know too little about human perception. *)

The same way as we currently don't know how to measure everything in biochemistry -- well, because we simply know too little about biochemistry, all the huge progress in knowledge in the last few decades notwithstanding.

*) And frankly, we also know too little about how to measure equipment dynamically in a meaningful way, so that the measurements sufficiently correlate with the music signal. Static test tones are easy. So are controlled simple tone bursts. None of these correlate sufficiently with the ever changing, complex signal in music.
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

Non-blind/controlled "listening" is an "experience". You "experience" the DUT way beyond "ears" and "listening".
    We do it every day.

cheers,

AJ
    Precisely. Hence playing the Stradivarius while “knowing” and “seeing” you are playing a an $8M Stradivarius is a religious experience. Nothing sounds better and the sound is unmistakable. Put a blindfold on and more than half professional violin players chose the new violins. The experiment was repeated a few years later, once again blindfolded. Same result and majority preferred the “new” violins because they “projected” the sound better.

Sitting in a listening chair after being told you are about to witness a “cable miracle”, seeing the “fat snake” with shiny carbon fiber plugs, with the “you wouldn’t understand metal alloy terminations” with the “never mind science” gadget straddling it, will make a believer out of anyone. How can the Emperor have no clothes...? Hence the so often encountered “fail” at recognizing that fat snake vs a quality, shielded cord in a blind test.

Ok, let me modify:
    In principle we should be able to measure everything we hear. But currently we don't know how to do that, since we know too little about human perception. *)
    Fair enough. Stereophonic soundfields create by microphones capture, yes. Sound>ears, yes.
    Human perception >ears, no. Agree with you there. So instead of wild goose chases in the soundfield, start measuring humans. Or make sure they are "hearing" what they think they hear before any measurement.

*) And frankly, we also know too little about how to measure equipment dynamically in a meaningful way, so that the measurements sufficiently correlate with the music signal. Static test tones are easy. So are controlled tone bursts. None of these correlate sufficiently with the ever changing signal in music.
    In measuring what? Electronics? Transduced soundwaves?
    Are your familiar with Bark Wavelets?
    Or why not simply use music...in a listening (no peeking) test?

cheers,

AJ

One just has to look at the various shapes of the human ear to understand there is no way we all hear a given sound or music the same.

I can easily change the sound I am experiencing by using my hands to alter the shape of my ears.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

For full disclosure, I’m not a total cable denier or a skeptic who has never tried a “fancy cable”. I don’t need to mention the price of 35 ft runs of Transparent I needed for my custom built listening room/HT project for Wilson Alexias.. Let’s just say an entry level Honda Accord was cheaper...

Did they not sound great? Better believe they did. Except that I found same level of nirvana with Transparent “the wave” speaker cables ($250) after comparing them directly since I had them in my closet. I’ve done many A/B tests and laughed in the end. I still use the $250 speaker cables to this day because my ears confirmed I could not hear a difference, so why bother upgrading? Were the D’Agostino amps not capable of resolving the difference and/or masked the difference for me? I don’t believe so as they were the best pair of monoblocks I’ve ever owned and my ears also told me that.

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    Now invert those curves for ability to hear GHz sampling rates

Yep and I’m in my 50’s and can’t hear anything above 15Khz anymore which is perfectly normal. The ears are not a “perfect forever” instrument. On the bright side, the metal dome tweeters do not bother me “as much” anymore although I still prefer soft dome tweeters. Perhaps in another 10 years I won’t need tweeters at all...

No doubt we all hear, see and taste slightly different. The pinna of the ear amplifies and helps you localize the sound. The “shape” of the pinna also exaggerates the differences but we adopt to it from infancy.

But of course, hearing differently and tasting differently had no bearing on the linked tests. It doesn't prove you heard something, or tasted something claimed. I'm sure the folks in the violin test didn't have identical pinnas.
    Audiometric testing accounts for this. Tooles book goes over that variance in detail.

Agreed. My post was in response to Still-One but I forgot to quote

The Audiophile Ear, is really just the microphone to the brain. And the brain is the center of intelligence in all of us; right, wrong or indifferent.

So the wizardry behind the audio microphone embodies the key attributes of knowing what to listen for and when it is best to listen but know the ear is unique to you and only you are what matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Precisely. Hence playing the Stradivarius while “knowing” and “seeing” you are playing a an $8M Stradivarius is a religious experience. Nothing sounds better and the sound is unmistakable. Put a blindfold on and more than half professional violin players chose the new violins. The experiment was repeated a few years later, once again blindfolded. Same result and majority preferred the “new” violins because they “projected” the sound better.

Sitting in a listening chair after being told you are about to witness a “cable miracle”, seeing the “fat snake” with shiny carbon fiber plugs, with the “you wouldn’t understand metal alloy terminations” with the “never mind science” gadget straddling it, will make a believer out of anyone. How can the Emperor have no clothes...? Hence the so often encountered “fail” at recognizing that fat snake vs a quality, shielded cord in a blind test.
    I wonder why many chefs when blindfolded can't tell basic foods apart? Do they really not know the difference between chicken and beef?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I wonder why many chefs when blindfolded can't tell basic foods apart? Do they really not know the difference between chicken and beef?
    Wow, haven't seen that study. Link?

Can one tell a difference between white and red wine while blindfolded? Wine and food experts put to the test. https://youtu.be/XyHIEzgMebA

Can one tell a difference between white and red wine while blindfolded? Wine and food experts put to the test. https://youtu.be/XyHIEzgMebA
    Serge-

As a guy that will drink a Cab with flounder, I think I may pass on that video. LOL!
    AKA J2Ordan
    McIntosh/Legacy/VPI/Bricasti/Bryston/DIYCabling.

Wow, haven't seen that study. Link?
    Watch Gordon Ramsey administer the test on every season of Hell’s Kitchen.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

It’s a known fact that senses work together. Try tasting anything when your nose is stuffy or as it turns out with your eyes closed with wine or other food.

By the way, “scent marketing” is an important tool.

The proper scent in a luxury car showroom, for example, can enhance perception of product quality and confidence, which on an unconscious level, fuses an emotional bond between the potential buyer and the brand. It is also vitally important that an auto showroom signature scent cater to the preferences and desires of the clientele serviced.

Casinos are challenged more than any other type of business operation because their revenue depends exclusively on others losing theirs. Everyone knows there are no clocks or windows in casinos insuring that gamblers lose track of both time and their money.

Scent marketers have to find ways for gamblers to continue to lose themselves in the thrill and risk and the desire to return, ignoring the odds, even after patrons have lost their shirts and other important elements of their wardrobes.

https://www.airscent.com/scent-marke...ive-showrooms/

https://www.airscent.com/how-casino-...tain-gamblers/

Watch Gordon Ramsey administer the test on every season of Hell’s Kitchen.
    I'd rather not, but I'll take your word on it. Probably wouldn't pass scientific rigor, but pretty darn funny none the less.
    I'm sure there were some embarrassed chefs!
    In my tests of vinyl vs "digitized" same vinyl in real time with the audio club, there was a lot of laughing, no one got mad, everyone had fun.
    The way it should be.

Frédéric Brochet, a PhD candidate at the University of Bordeaux II in Talence, France. His big finding lit a fire under the seats of wine snobs everywhere.

In a sneaky study, Brochet dyed a white wine red and gave it to 54 oenology (wine science) students. The supposedly expert panel overwhelmingly described the beverage like they would a red wine. They were completely fooled.

The research, later published in the journal Brain and Language, is now widely used to show why wine tasting is total BS. But more than that, the study says something fascinating about how we perceive the world around us: that visual cues can effectively override our senses of taste and smell (which are, of course, pretty much the same thing.)

https://www.realclearscience.com/blo...e_tasting.html

Next phase of “cable marketing” should definitely involve more senses. Can’t you smell and taste the difference of that cable?? One lick and you’ll know why it costs so much. On a serious note, Oh the aroma of some cables... Have some manufacturers already figured it out?

Audioshark

The Audiohpile Ear

I'd rather not, but I'll take your word on it. Probably wouldn't pass scientific rigor, but pretty darn funny none the less.
    In my tests of vinyl vs "digitized" same vinyl in real time with the audio club, there was a lot of laughing, no one got mad, everyone had fun.
    The way it should be.
    And when the guy from Audacity came he proved how much information in music is truncated with 16/44 and how much more info was on the record. He showed us in real time on the screen at Bart’s. And the Japanese pressing he used made the cd rip sound broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Ive always found this to be fascinating. https://www.npr.org/sections/thereco...-audio-quality

The way it should be.
    It is funny to watch. Gordon Ramsey not only takes away their sight during the testing, he also takes away their hearing so they are down two senses.

And when the guy from Audacity came he proved how much information in music is truncated with 16/44 and how much more info was on the record.
    Yes, "music" and noise, etc. above 22kHz would be gone. As noted previously, audiometric science says old guys can't hear above 15k.
    Old guys say they can hear into the GHz range. Believe me.

He showed us in real time on the screen at Bart’s.
    My listening, not viewing, was done in real time. The vinyl was playing real time, pops and all, and instantly switched to a low latency throughput ADA loop, pops and all. Voltages matched within 0.1v at the amp outs. There was no giveaway, just analog vs analog.

And the Japanese pressing he used made the cd rip sound broken.
    I didn't do any rips or Audacity processing, which can't possibly be compared in real time, so completely different from my test. What method did he use to match voltages? How was the test blind?

It is funny to watch. Gordon Ramsey not only takes away their sight during the testing, he also takes away their hearing so they are down two senses.
    He took away their hearing?? That doesn't sound like science at all.
    Fun I'm sure.

Audioshark

Yes, "music" and noise, etc. above 22kHz would be gone. As noted previously, audiometric science says old guys can't hear above 15k.
    Old guys say they can hear into the GHz range. Believe me.

My listening, not viewing, was done in real time. The vinyl was playing real time, pops and all, and instantly switched to a low latency throughput ADA loop, pops and all. Voltages matched within 0.1v at the amp outs. There was no giveaway, just analog vs analog.

I didn't do any rips or Audacity processing, which can't possibly be compared in real time, so completely different from my test. What method did he use to match voltages? How was the test blind?
    You were there my friend and the look on your face when the vinyl spanked the digital was classic.

Ramsey doesn’t want them to hear what is being said during the blind tasting.

You were there my friend and the look on your face when the vinyl spanked the digital was classic.
    I think you have me confused with someone else Mike.
    The only vinyl/recording thing I recall at Barts was the Channel Island (?) guys demo of how to rip vinyl/archive with his software.
    Audacity?? Real time, unfiltered comparison? Me not smiling? Never.

Audioshark

I think you have me confused with someone else Mike.
    The only vinyl/recording thing I recall at Barts was the Channel Island (?) guys demo of how to rip vinyl/archive with his software.
    Audacity?? Real time, unfiltered comparison? Me not smiling? Never.
    It was almost 8 years ago at Bart’s. The guy brought his turntable and software. You were definitely there. I remember laughing as the vinyl (Japanese pressing of DSOTM)!had more info (measured) and just crushed the CD sonically and in measurements. No surprise. The SACD is better, but he brought the CD. Bart was using a Marantz CD player (the gold one) and the guy brought some modest table.

Google search to the rescue again: http://www.channld.com/purevinyl/
    Methinks you might be misremembering a bit Mike. It's ok, all part of perception.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

The Audiohpile Ear