Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Spinning Tapes at California Audio Show July 26-28, 2019

I'll be helping out my friend Tim Marutani and spinning tapes at his room at the CAS in Oakland (Airport Hilton Hotel) June 26-28. The room (Board Room 3) will feature Martin-Logan speakers, Doshi electronics, and Scott Rust (512 Engineering/Marutani) cables and power supply. The main signal source will be Tim's Ampex ATR-102 with Doshi tape prepro which I will be playing, and a Berkeley Reference 3 DAC for digital playback. The focus will be on tapes. We will have tapes from Tape Project, Ultra Analogue Tapes (Ed Pong) and International Phonograph Inc. (Jonathan Horwich) and some of my safety masters and other goodies. We will be doing mostly 1/2" tape. Should be lots of fun. As a special treat, at the end of Saturday, Reference Recordings' Keith Johnson will be joining us at 5PM for two hour Q/A and demo. Looking forward to seeing AS members and friends.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

Re: Spinning Tapes at California Audio Show July 26-28, 2019

Here are four photos from the CAS Show this weekend at the Oakland Airport Hilton.

One is the room - Tim Marutani Consulting. The speakers are Martin Logan CLX electrostatics, with a pair of Martin-Logan Balanced Force 212 powered subs. The electronics are all from Nick Doshi, monoblock amps, preamp and tape preamp. Digital (which we played about 10% of the time) is the new Berkeley Audio Reference 3 DAC and the Analog, for which I served as TJ (tape jockey), is Tim's Ampex ATR-102 using his 1/2" headblock (electronics all bypassed to the Doshi tape prepro. 512 Engineering/Marutani Consulting provided the Symmetric Power Units and interconnects, speaker cables and power cords.

Paul Stubblebine, cofounder and mastering engineer for the Tape Project prepared some mixed tapes from the Tape Project copied from the one-inch running masters (made from the original master tapes). Paul was there to help spin tapes Friday and Sunday and give us some insights into the master process he used for the tapes. I spun tapes, including the tape projects, a mix tape I made from Jonathan Horwich's (International Phonograph Inc) and Ed Pong's (Ultra Analogue) and some mix tapes I made of my master tapes and other 15ips 2 track tapes. All the tapes we played were 1/2" 15ips 2 track.

We had SRO crowds on Saturday (averaging 100% occupancy through the day - averaging the standing room folks with the occasional empty seats). Friday and Sunday were less busy, but we still has full houses a good part of each day. Many people came back 4 or 5 times and many stayed for 30-45 minutes. Tim said it was unusual for people to applaud and come up to thank us for the presentations - so that was a very nice feeling.

Second Picture: I am playing TJ (Tape Jockey) for the show.

One funny incident: One of the attendees came up to me and pointed to the Doshi mono blocks. See the top picture on the floor. He asked in all seriousness - are those solid state or tube amps?

Third Picture: Keith Johnson is giving his seminar.

Fourth picture is Keith Johnson from Reference Recordings and me at dinner after his 5-7PM SRO presentation in the room. He talked about the listening experience, speaker design and illustrated his talk with excerpts from his recordings.

Nick Doshi also joined us on Saturday, coming in from Virginia. You can barely see his elbow in the far left of the picture.

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

Super Moderator

Wow, looked like an awesome time. Thank you for sharing. I would have loved to hear that setup.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Wow, looks like a lot of fun. Wish I could have been there!

Thanks for posting this Larry.
    Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Spinning Tapes at California Audio Show July 26-28, 2019