Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Lumin U1 Mini or D2

I recently started enjoying hi res music. I have been streaming Tidal & Qobuz on a Roon Server and that has worked great.

I don’t currently have any hi res files. For now all content will be streams from Tidal & Qobuz.

I have a dedicated Home Theater room that has a Marantz AV8801 as the prepro, B&K Ref amps and Triad LCR’s. The room had been professionally calibrated.

I have gone back and forth if I want my streamer to include a DAC as I will likely be using the DSP in the AV8801. Not sure if the outboard DAC is a good fit with what would be a digital to analog to digital & back to analog signal path. I most likely will go digital out into the digital coax of the AV8801.

I guess a downside to no DAC is I miss the second unfold of the MQA streams. Not sure if that’s a big deal as most of the masters I have played have been below 24/96.

After looking at different product lines I am leaning towards the Lumin gear. The U1 Mini seems to be a great fit for me but the D2 is just slightly more and could probably be had for a very similar price.

My Questions:

1) Should I get the D2 for flexibility down the road?

2) As just streamers are the Mini and the D2 the same or is the mini better a just a streamer?

3) In a setup like mine is there a sizeable advantage to stepping up to the U1 or T2?

4) Not to complicate things but any other gear I should be looking at?

Super Moderator

Re: Lumin U1 Mini or D2

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Lumin U1 Mini or D2

Welcome to AS! As we discussed yesterday, I would go with the U1 mini or U1 and use your existing DAC in your Marantz because you have your system dialed in with DSP and D—>A—>D—>A is not ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Welcome!
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

A big vote for the Lumin U1 or U1 mini. Lumin streamers are awesome. Going the U1 route doesn’t lock you into a DAC if you want to make a change down the road.
    MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp, SST Son of Ampzilla II Amp, PS Audio Directstream DAC w/Bridge II, PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, ELAC 3070 Sub, Roon Nucleus w/8TB SSD storage

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - HiFi Rose RS250, KEF LS50W Nocturne Speakers

The U1 that fits your budget.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by avtexan View Post

I guess a downside to no DAC is I miss the second unfold of the MQA streams. Not sure if that’s a big deal as most of the masters I have played have been below 24/96.
    I might well be almost ready to buy the Lumin U1 as well. What i don't quite understand is your MQA comment. Can someone who understands MQA please let me know if I use the U1 USB out into my CH Precision C1 dac whether it will make the full use of MQA on tidal or not?

Thanks

MQA digital output is restricted to 88.2kHz or 96kHz after MQA Core decoding (first unfold) as per requirements from MQA Ltd. You need a MQA certified player/DAC with analog output to have full MQA decoding. However, if you're pleased with your current DAC and have no plan to change to a MQA DAC/player, then 88.2/96kHz MQA output from Lumin U1 (MINI) is good enough.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

My U1 Mini came in and I hooked it up last night. Very excited! Thanks for the help everyone and thanks Mike for the great customer service. It was a pleasure doing business with you.

I played with the LUMIN app but Roon works great. Sound was great but it did improve over the couple of hours I was using it.

What’s the recommendation as on as far as break in period? How long?

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lumin U1 Mini or D2