Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Inspiring and Classic Classical/Symphonic Music with Amazing Sound?

Guys, like John Snow, I know nothing... beyond Holst's Planets and Soltis Beethoven Symphony 9. What do you love, preferably available on digital...

Re: Inspiring and Classic Classical/Symphonic Music with Amazing Sound?

Most anything on the Reference Label. Their site has soundbites. Once of my favorites is called Pipe & Organ, various artists.

Many of the Mercury Living Presence is good.
    1812 Overture. Rodrigo

I also like the Ancient Music Society, Hogwood recordings. Mozart violin Concertos 1 - 5, Vivaldi Four Seasons

I like all of what I hear from Tchaicovski , Russian composers in general.

Claude Boling is fun where he mixes orchestral and Jazz
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

If you have the capability for hirez digital playback, then I would recommend a great source of some of the best classical recordings of the golden analogue era transferred from tape (mostly 15ips 2 track) to digital. That is High Definition Tape Transfers (google HDTT or https://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/) run by Bob Witrak. He does the transfers at either DSD256 or DXD352 and also has available lower resolution versions of the albums. There are hundreds of albums available. Here are a few wonderful albums. Ansermet conducts Ballet Music (two volumes) which contain the contents of the famed Royal Ballet album from RCA. Nice introduction into the wonderful world of ballet music (like Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty.) Others are the great Mravinsky version of the Tchaikovsky Pathetique Symphony, Oistrakh's Beethoven Violin Concerto.

Classical music is richer and more varied than one can explore in a lifetime, so this can get you started. In some ways your question would be like me asking for recommendations for non-classical music. BTW, that is how I categorized my mammoth (15,000 album) record collection. I have classical divided by composers, genres, labels and catalogue numbers and everything else is alphabetical by artist in one big non-classical category.

Happy listening,

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

Modern recordings from:
    Challenge Records, Channel Classics are almost all very good (SACD stereo & 5.0/5.1 and downloads up to DXD/DSD256).
    Quite a few BIS albums.
    Alpha.
    Agogique (fantastic!).
    trptk.
    Etc.
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

The OP has set out a difficult question. So far the answers have focused on the labels which have excellent (amazing!) sound. The problem is what repertoire is best for the beginner. For example, the Ivan Fischer recordings of Mahler symphonies on Channel Classics and the Bach Japan Collegium recordings of the Bach Cantatas on BIS are both outstanding, but I would be hesitant to recommend them as the first classical music pieces to choose. And, unlike pop/rock music, almost all great classical pieces have many interpretations on different labels, so piece, interpretation and sonic quality all fit into the equation. Not an easy answer.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

For myself I find newer composers (that is a relative term for classical) much more accessible that Mozart and Bach et al. For me that would include Debussy, Shostakovich, Stravinsky, Sibelius, and some Wagner.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Inspiring and Classic Classical/Symphonic Music with Amazing Sound?