roon now supports CD ripping
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    429
    Post Thanks / Like

    roon OS now supports CD ripping

    the latest update of roon OS (build 175) add the ability to rip CDs from an attached optical drive... note: the drive must be attached to a device running roon OS such as a nucleus.

    details here: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_OS_CDROM

    from the description roon uses CD Paranoia software to do the ripping which seems to have robust error correction but does not do a check against the AccruateRip database. apparently, there are external tools to do this if one wants. anyone here have experience with CD Paranoia?

    don't think this will be of interest for those already ripping CDs using dbPowerAmp. for others, however, it would seem to provide an interesting option.
    kanjiroba yak + roon rock > t+a dac8 dsd > almarro a318b > viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | alp-tone audio analog cables

  2. Likes Alpinist liked this post
  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    210
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: roon OS now supports CD ripping

    Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    the latest update of roon OS (build 175) add the ability to rip CDs from an attached optical drive... note: the drive must be attached to a device running roon OS such as a nucleus.

    details here: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_OS_CDROM

    from the description roon uses CD Paranoia software to do the ripping which seems to have robust error correction but does not do a check against the AccruateRip database. apparently, there are external tools to do this if one wants. anyone here have experience with CD Paranoia?

    don't think this will be of interest for those already ripping CDs using dbPowerAmp. for others, however, it would seem to provide an interesting option.
    Thank you for this. I just installed Roon yesterday but have not yet decided how to rip CDs into my attached external HDD. This would seem to be a simple solution.
    Avid Acutus SME V Benz Lp-S
    Clearaudio Master Innovation Thales Simplicity Orotofon Anna
    CH Precision C1 Meridian Sooloos
    Audio Research ref 2 Phono

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: roon OS now supports CD ripping

    When Roon first came out, they were aiming for a more techie type of customer. Like the ones that were used to LMS and were not afraid to mess around with computers.
    In order for Roon to attract the less techie customer (the folks that have now decided to explore streaming), Roon is now offering “one-box” solutions that act like a typical component. I see this CD ripping option to follow on the trend to offer a simple streaming solution. Good for Roon! I want them to succeed since I have a lifetime subscription!

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: roon now supports CD ripping

    I wonder if an Apple external USB CD drive would work on the SGC i5 which runs my Roon core?

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: roon now supports CD ripping

    Quote Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
    I wonder if an Apple external USB CD drive would work on the SGC i5 which runs my Roon core?
    folks on the roon community site have reported not having any luck w/ the apple optical drive -- only only compatible w/ apple hardware... however, probably best to confirm for yourself by simply plugging it in to the SGC and seeing if it is recognized in the web GUI
    kanjiroba yak + roon rock > t+a dac8 dsd > almarro a318b > viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | alp-tone audio analog cables

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: roon now supports CD ripping

    Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    folks on the roon community site have reported not having any luck w/ the apple optical drive -- only only compatible w/ apple hardware... however, probably best to confirm for yourself by simply plugging it in to the SGC and seeing if it is recognized in the web GUI
    I understand from Roon that using a CD for ripping is an update to Roon OS, not Roon Core. The SGC SonicTransporter i5 runs Roon core on Linux so I don't believe CD ripping is available unless you are running Roon Nucleus or Nucleus+.
    MAIN SYSTEM - Classe Sigma 2200i Integrated Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, dCS Network Bridge, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Synology 20TB NAS, AcousticZen Matrix Reference XLR Interconnects, Audioquest CV-8 Speaker Cables, TimberNation Audio Rack, TimberNation Isolation Platforms, Small Green Computer i5/1TB running Roon

    HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: roon now supports CD ripping

    Quote Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
    I understand from Roon that using a CD for ripping is an update to Roon OS, not Roon Core. The SGC SonicTransporter i5 runs Roon core on Linux so I don't believe CD ripping is available unless you are running Roon Nucleus or Nucleus+.
    that is correct -- device must be running roon OS
    kanjiroba yak + roon rock > t+a dac8 dsd > almarro a318b > viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | alp-tone audio analog cables

  9. #8
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    24,569
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: roon OS now supports CD ripping

    So add a cheap USB CD drive to the Nucleus/Nucleus+ (or PC) and you’re done.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones & Loudspeakers, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  10. Likes nicoff liked this post