Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Re: Why no turntable?

I used to own the original VPI machine, way back in the day. The Record Doctor seems to do a great job so far ...
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    Thanks for the link. The article is badly written in terms of scientific accuracy. The author obfuscates well into, or even beyond, the middle of the article uncompressed with compressed digital. Even right before discussing Shannon and Nyquist that ambiguity exists, subtly suggesting that these theorems have something to do with compression. Either the author is incompetent or manipulative. Neither of these options is appealing. Only in the last part of the article he draws a clear distinction between compressed and uncompressed.

Neil Young by the way views also CD digital as being compressed, which demonstrates his lack of technical understanding.

As for the microsecond thing, if location where an issue with digital, then the soundstage would be inferior. I simply don't hear that. I also question if in real world terms the resolution of a vinyl groove is sufficiently accurate to make the theoretical difference that the author claims.

In terms of emotion, and subtlety thereof, I get exactly the same experience from great Redbook CD digital as from great analog.

As for the general audio quality of digital vs analog, even just four years ago I would have agreed with the digital critics, even though I have been a digital only guy for three decades now. Yet with current CD playback quality, digital has bridged the divide to analog to my ears. And I am regularly exposed to top level vinyl playback in three friends' systems. I find my current CD playback to be sensational -- and highly satisfying, to the extent that I can stay glued to my system for hours on end. It's just addictive.

There is no "special sauce" to vinyl.
    As you noted, there is no actual science discussed in this article. I often wonder how Neil Young effectively criticizes the sound of CD’s, since his digital hearing aids are lower digital resolution than CD’s 16/44.1?
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

Why no turntable?

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    As you noted, there is no actual science discussed in this article. I often wonder how Neil Young effectively criticizes the sound of CD’s, since his digital hearing aids are lower digital resolution than CD’s 16/44.1?
    Why no turntable?Why no turntable?
    I wonder how many reviewers have hearing issues that prevents them from objectively hear all the things they claim to hear. Maybe they should be required to do a hearing test every year or every other year and post it to prove that they are not hearing impaired. Why no turntable?

Quote Originally Posted by thase13 View Post
    That "special sauce" might be definable.
    https://www.fairobserver.com/more/sc...-softky-39078/
    Wow. That is the funniest abject nonsense I've read in a long while.

from a Caltech educated biophysicist and neuroscientist...
    Who obviously knows less than zero about information theory and sampled systems, not to mention human binaural hearing!
    Must have been some incredible drugs back at 70s Caltech.
    Check this other gem https://www.fairobserver.com/more/sc...re-news-34891/
    Far out man.
    Well, yet another example of believers seeking an "objective" crutch to prop up a purely subjective preference.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Check this other gem https://www.fairobserver.com/more/sc...re-news-34891/
    Far out man.
    Well, yet another example of believers seeking an "objective" crutch to prop up a purely subjective preference.
    AJ, I read thru most of that link and it is not all bull. I have personal experience with a few different meditation techniques including the Tibetan Bowls. My wife is a Meditation Instructor and years ago I bought her an incredible tool. It is a Light/Sound Machine and it resets your brainwaves. Pretty much the gist of your referenced article. The bottom line is that Meditation in certain ways leads to healing. I have experience in Visualizing the outcomes and healing of surgeries. My first shoulder was pretty serious but I was being thrown out of therapy early while others that had similar surgery the same week were still getting stretched out and far from rehabbed.

Anyway, back on topic, sort of, the Photosonix Nova 100 is the unit we have. You wear a pair of sunglasses that have several LEDs on the inside, you keep your eyes closed. You wear headphones for the sound. You can use pre made or make your own sessions. It uses flashing lights and sounds such as Pulsed Frequencies, Pulsed Surf, Pulsed Chord, Binaural beats, Bb with Surf and many more.

You can take yourself to or thru levels of Alpha-Beta-Theta. You can energize, invoke creativity, relax, and many different states of mind.

http://www.photosonix.com/products/nova-pro-100/

So, you may be chuckling at that article, but it is more on track than you realize. Don't knock it until you have tried it.

Cheers
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Wow. That is the funniest abject nonsense I've read in a long while.
    I take it that you are not a fan of cognitive neuroscience or neurobiology. Fair enough .

While you obviously vehemently disagree with the author's thesis, I certainly appreciate your taking the time to read it.
    Analog System: TechDAS Air Force Two Premium; SAT 9" Tonearm; Air Tight Opus 1; Constellation Audio Virgo III; Constellation Audio Perseus; Constellation Audio Performance DC Filter; Constellation Audio Centaur II 500 Stereo; Magico M3 w/MPODs; Kubala Sosna Sensation; Shunyata Hydra Triton v3/Typhon QR, Sigma NR power cords; TedhDAS Disc Stabilizer Ultimate Tungsten; Artesania Exoteryc 3+3 Rack w/TechDAS Platform; Artesania Aire Floor Platform; Klaudio KD-CLN-LP200 RCM; Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer

Digital System: Aurender N10; MSB Premier DAC; Woo Audio WA33 (Takatsuki TA274B, Psvane ACME 2A3, Western Electric 417A); Hifiman Susvara; Danacables Lazuli Nirvana; Triode Wire Lab RJ45, Cardas Clear/Clear Beyond; Shunyata Denali 6000/S v2; Box Furniture Co. rack

I take it that you are not a fan of cognitive neuroscience or neurobiology. Fair enough .

While you obviously vehemently disagree with the author's thesis, I certainly appreciate your taking the time to read it.
    it really has nothing to do with believing (or not) the author’s “thesis”; it is about the article claiming to be about science, or having a basis in science, and that is just not true. It is purely conjecture and opinion, which would not even be an issue if it had been presented as such.
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;

I take it that you are not a fan of cognitive neuroscience or neurobiology.
    I'm a "fan" of science, both those fields included. What I'm not a fan of is crackpots using their "credentials" (classic Appeal to Authority fallacy) to hide behind the guise of "scientific authority", while positing utter nonsense hidden in obscure publications that have zero vetting. The disclaimer at bottom of the articles says it all.
    The good Dr knows better than to publish that in any sort of scientific journal with peer review, where he would look like a total fool. He has strayed waaay outside his actual field of expertise with this one, in rather embarrassing fashion. Of course he intends to appeal to fellow believers, not scientifically informed readers. Hence where he posted this.

You're welcome and thanks for posting, obviously I would not have seen otherwise. There is no thesis there, just inane ramblings about some old decrepit deaf rocker trying to ascribe his mental health issues to external physical properties of "digital" processing. As I said previously, just another example of the unease of audiophiles - needing an "objective" crutch to "validate" their purely subjective preferences. Nothing new here at all.

cheers,

AJ

p.s. as also stated many times, I too occasionally enjoy the sound of vinyl, just not for any idiotic "neurobiological" reason other than I like the sound. Just like digital.

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    it really has nothing to do with believing (or not) the author’s “thesis”; it is about the article claiming to be about science, or having a basis in science, and that is just not true. It is purely conjecture and opinion, which would not even be an issue if it had been presented as such.
    If that’s how you interpret it, then I respect your opinion.

My interpretation is different than yours, I view it as the author trying to reconcile (to himself and others) the intellectual chasm dividing the scientific absolutists and the empirical rationalists. Ironically, it appears that the loosely constructed argument you employ in you dismissal of his theory serves as an extant example of the musicians vs. engineers debate and the asymmetrical advantages the scientific absolutists hold over the empirical rationalists. However, subjectively deconstructing the structure of a thesis is not the same as objectively refuting its central point.

While I’m not prepared to embrace the author’s ideas, I’m also not in a rush to dismiss them based on my own prevailing dogma. It opens up some interesting avenues of inquiry, even when only used as a thought exercise.
    Analog System: TechDAS Air Force Two Premium; SAT 9" Tonearm; Air Tight Opus 1; Constellation Audio Virgo III; Constellation Audio Perseus; Constellation Audio Performance DC Filter; Constellation Audio Centaur II 500 Stereo; Magico M3 w/MPODs; Kubala Sosna Sensation; Shunyata Hydra Triton v3/Typhon QR, Sigma NR power cords; TedhDAS Disc Stabilizer Ultimate Tungsten; Artesania Exoteryc 3+3 Rack w/TechDAS Platform; Artesania Aire Floor Platform; Klaudio KD-CLN-LP200 RCM; Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer

Digital System: Aurender N10; MSB Premier DAC; Woo Audio WA33 (Takatsuki TA274B, Psvane ACME 2A3, Western Electric 417A); Hifiman Susvara; Danacables Lazuli Nirvana; Triode Wire Lab RJ45, Cardas Clear/Clear Beyond; Shunyata Denali 6000/S v2; Box Furniture Co. rack

empirical rationalists.
    Is that what Flat earthers, healing crystals, power bracelet, bigfoot sighters, etc, etc, etc, etc, et al are calling themselves these days?
    News to me

I'm a "fan" of science, both those fields included. What I'm not a fan of is crackpots using their "credentials" (classic Appeal to Authority fallacy) to hide behind the guise of "scientific authority", while positing utter nonsense hidden in obscure publications that have zero vetting. The disclaimer at bottom of the articles says it all.
    The good Dr knows better than to publish that in any sort of scientific journal with peer review, where he would look like a total fool. He has strayed waaay outside his actual field of expertise with this one, in rather embarrassing fashion. Of course he intends to appeal to fellow believers, not scientifically informed readers. Hence where he posted this.
    Understood, I would imagine that his doctoral thesis that this article appears to be loosely based on would have been peer reviewed. However, I do agree with you that our critical thinking should not stop at the end of the article and that we should be attuned to both the accuracy and agenda of the author.

Thank you for reminding us all to adopt a healthy skepticism when consuming content pulled from the web, but AJ but please bear in mind, this sword cuts both ways.

You're welcome and thanks for posting, obviously I would not have seen otherwise. There is no thesis there, just inane ramblings about some old decrepit deaf rocker trying to ascribe his mental health issues to external physical properties of "digital" processing. As I said previously, just another example of the unease of audiophiles - needing an "objective" crutch to "validate" their purely subjective preferences. Nothing new here at all.

cheers,

AJ

p.s. as also stated many times, I too occasionally enjoy the sound of vinyl, just not for any idiotic "neurobiological" reason other than I like the sound. Just like digital.
    I do believe that you're getting wrapped up in his perceived indictment of digital recording. Since he seems to be attacking your field of expertise, I would expect a little rancor. Nonetheless, I do think that there is a valid thesis lurking in this article and my synthesized and stylized (and possibly romanticized) version of his thesis is a derivation of the Turing test; rather than asking "can a machine be made to think like a human well enough to deceive another human?", his question is "can a machine be made to hear like a human?". And since the doctor is admittedly not an engineer, his approach to address this conundrum originates naturally from the neurobiological direction, the application of the biomechanics of how a person "hears" at a molecular/synaptic level. Now we can debate whether this research holds any value and for that I can say that I honestly don't know. Could we also speculate on whether that research would result in the development of digital audio reproduction technologies that reorient some subjective differences in musical reproduction into objective differences, I don't know that either. But as I mentioned earlier, I see no reason to summarily dismiss his research simply because it conflicts with my prevailing biases. And many would admit that it is an interesting thought exercise, can the process of hearing be broken down into discrete bits of code, and once the biomechanical process has been reverse-engineered, can it be reapplied and introduced back into the field of digital audio reproduction to improve the overall listener experience?

You misunderstand. The Drs entire "thesis" is based on nonsense. That the sample rate determines the time resolution of the signal. His quoted number is nonsense. Everything after that basis, including human verified limits, is nonsense.
    Furthermore, using the mental health issues of an old deaf, electric guitar rock concert musician, as some form of sonic reference is nonsense. The false dichotomy between "scientists/engineers" and "musicians" is nonsense. Neil Young isn't "musicians". He's just a sample of one dotard.
    The entire article is new age believer nonsense. THAT is why it appears in "Fair Observer", not any sort of scientific journal.

P.s. You probably don't know about my experiments with believers like the good Dr. and exactly what he is "theorizing" about "digital".
    The empirical results are very funny indeed.

If that’s how you interpret it, then I respect your opinion.

My interpretation is different than yours, I view it as the author trying to reconcile (to himself and others) the intellectual chasm dividing the scientific absolutists and the empirical rationalists. Ironically, it appears that the loosely constructed argument you employ in you dismissal of his theory serves as an extant example of the musicians vs. engineers debate and the asymmetrical advantages the scientific absolutists hold over the empirical rationalists. However, subjectively deconstructing the structure of a thesis is not the same as objectively refuting its central point.

While I’m not prepared to embrace the author’s ideas, I’m also not in a rush to dismiss them based on my own prevailing dogma. It opens up some interesting avenues of inquiry, even when only used as a thought exercise.
    I’m not “dismissing his theory”, in fact I’m not commenting on it at all except to point out that is not based on any science, it is based on philosophy, and so shouldn’t be presented as a scientfic argument.
    Rob

You misunderstand. The Drs entire "thesis" is based on nonsense. That the sample rate determines the time resolution of the signal. His quoted number is nonsense. Everything after that basis, including human verified limits, is nonsense.
    Furthermore, using the mental health issues of an old deaf, electric guitar rock concert musician, as some form of sonic reference is nonsense. The false dichotomy between "scientists/engineers" and "musicians" is nonsense. Neil Young isn't "musicians". He's just a sample of one dotard.
    The entire article is new age believer nonsense. THAT is why it appears in "Fair Observer", not any sort of scientific journal.

P.s. You probably don't know about my experiments with believers like the good Dr. and exactly what he is "theorizing" about "digital".
    The empirical results are very funny indeed.
    Fair enough. My background is not in either acoustic engineering or neurobiology so I will most certainly defer to your expertise.

Sadly online isn't the ideal environment to engage in deep conversations because there are a couple of things you've written that I'd love to have you expound on. I think it would be educational and enlightening for me and quite possibly amusing and entertaining for you.

I appreciate and enjoyed the conversation, AJ. Thank you.

back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    $5k analog budget:

VPI Scout Prime - $2500
    Ortofon 2M Bronze - $400
    SimAudio 110LPV2 - $400
    AudioQuest phono cable - $300

Spend the rest on records or get the nice ISOACOUSTICS TT platform...
    the simAudio 110LP v2 looks like a winner... just having researched a number of similar phonos with similar capabilities and pricing, this one seems to have comparably much better specs and a number of quite good reviews.

have not heard any of them but it would seem hard to go wrong here with the 110LP v2 for an entry-level / analog-trial setup?
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    back to our regularly scheduled programming...

the simAudio 110LP v2 looks like a winner... just having researched a number of similar phonos with similar capabilities and pricing, this one seems to have comparably much better specs and a number of quite good reviews.

have not heard any of them but it would seem hard to go wrong here with the 110LP v2 for an entry-level / analog-trial setup?
    Agreed. We have it here in the store and it’s crazy good for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I have a TT, it’s sitting on my rack and never gets used. Too much hassle compared to using my iPad and flipping through Roon.

Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

The simAudio is a phone stage, Correct?

Compared to the two others recommended in this thread; the Vista Audio or the Lounge Audio?

Or the MoFi? They are all in the same range.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    The simAudio is a phone stage, Correct?

Compared to the two others recommended in this thread; the Vista Audio or the Lounge Audio?

Or the MoFi? They are all in the same range.
    yes -- simAudio 110LP v2 -- is a MM/MC phono stage

mofi, lounge, vista, iFi and lehmann were others i specifically looked at... as mentioned, i have not heard any of these. just going on specs, reviews and relative price -- absolutely nothing "scientific" here.

there are a lot of others out there as well such as pro-ject, schiit, etc.

are you using the on-board phono stage on the u-turn? any impressions?
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Quote Originally Posted by Phishphan View Post
    I have a TT, it’s sitting on my rack and never gets used. Too much hassle compared to using my iPad and flipping through Roon.

I'm kind of burning out on mine too after a few days. When I play it, I listen to it. Takes too much attention. When I put my digital files back on its like Ahhh. I can just sit back and enjoy the music. It's like I notice the TT. Even when it was a stock RP6 with the Allnic Phono pre. I noticed the TT. That caused me to start upgrading it. It's way beyond where it started. But I still notice it. It's casing me to be too involved in the music which is detracting from the music for me.

Additionally, I have 1 album I think sounds better in vinyl than what I have in digital. So far. There are lots I have not compared. Who cares if they are not the same bla bla bla. Point is, everything I like and play sound better on my digital setup. I said once before. I have a lot of tube gear feeding open baffle horn loaded speakers. It's quiet as tubes can be, but still tube. I am guessing the synergy in my setup is better to have a very clean quiet digital source feeding into my tube chain. Just a thought. Maybe a case of To Much Of A Good Thing. Or I just have $7,000 of crap vinyl equipment and bought the wrong equipment. Having played it next to VPI gear, it sounded good to me, but who knows. I could not tell much difference between a $3k and $15K table. Of course I was at a foreign setup and everything sound so different. Also, the owner will not play a record twice. So everything was different. No way to really go back and forth to understand what changed.

I'm not getting rid of my vinyl. I just have little incentive to play the upgrade/invest more game. I'm darn happy with the digital front end.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp. Audion Black Shadow 845 SET Monoblocks. Mojo Audio Deja Vu Server. Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC. Linear Solution Ethernet Switch. Gigafoil with LPS. STST Motus II TT with Vertere SG1 arm, Hana ML Cartridge, Allnic H1201 phono pre. Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Horn speakers with Mundord Supreme oil caps. Power via 10 awg Oyaide cable from panel to custom distribution strip feeding front end. Oyaide dedicated10 AWG branch circuits from panel to each amp. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.
    Kingrexelectric.com Lyncole certified grounding specialist.

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    yes -- simAudio 110LP v2 -- is a MM/MC phono stage

mofi, lounge, vista, iFi and lehmann were others i specifically looked at... as mentioned, i have not heard any of these. just going on specs, reviews and relative price -- absolutely nothing "scientific" here.

there are a lot of others out there as well such as pro-ject, schiit, etc.

are you using the on-board phono stage on the u-turn? any impressions?

I am using the on board U-Turn and for the most part it sounds very good. I have no comparison though. Most albums sound good, some very good, a few have sections that do not sound so good. When my buddy gets back from NC I might borrow one to see how big a difference there is.

I have no chance of listening to any of these so if I do go down that road I need to hear recommendations from others who have tried them.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Randy, if you are considering the Lounge Audio, you may want to contact them and see if it could be upgraded to the Silver or Gold addition in the future if you get further into vinyl. The LCR Silver was fabulous in my modest system with my vintage Thorens TT and Nagaoka MP-200 cartridge. My friend who owns it uses it in a $3.2K system and loves it.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Are you referring to the "Silver Wire"? They show "Standard" for $300 and "Silver Wire" for $450 on their website.

The Ortofon 2M Blue stylus arrived today. Definitely a nice improvement.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I played more vinyl today. I compared Mozart Four Horn Concerti No. 2 in E-flat Major. I'm actually shocked at how well my vinyl plays. It's pretty hard to tell the 2 apart. Both are very smooth and clean. No edginess or fatigue. The digital is a little more clean and black in the background. Not much. Its the record noise I hear. Not the motor. The punch and dynamics are pretty darn similar. Top to bottom is also pretty similar. I'm surprised how much bass the vinyl makes. I'm not sure why I'm surprised. I just am.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp. Audion Black Shadow 845 SET Monoblocks. Mojo Audio Deja Vu Server. Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC. Linear Solution Ethernet Switch. Gigafoil with LPS. STST Motus II TT with Vertere SG1 arm, Hana ML Cartridge, Allnic H1201 phono pre. Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Horn speakers with Mundord Supreme oil caps. Power via 10 awg Oyaide cable from panel to custom distribution strip feeding front end. Oyaide dedicated10 AWG branch circuits from panel to each amp. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.

Since the U-Turn arrived I have been playing around with vinyl and having fun; re-discovering the "joys" of record maintenance, etc. I believe both digital and vinyl have their places, and I have found some albums sound good, maybe better then my digital versions (45 RPM Fleetwood Mac and the four Pink Floyd top notch remasters that I have purchased, for example). I could see that a similar level turntable as my digital setup might perform on similar levels.

However, starting to play my digital again makes me realize just how good it is and very much appreciate the convenience and ease of use. I am sure I will enjoy both formats moving forward! One way that I have found to enjoy the vinyl is finding some of my old favorites at the used record stores. Albums that I have never seen in any digital version!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Are you referring to the "Silver Wire"? They show "Standard" for $300 and "Silver Wire" for $450 on their website.

The Ortofon 2M Blue stylus arrived today. Definitely a nice improvement.
    Yes, but the upgrade is more than just the silver wire.

Glad to hear that the 2M Blue sounds better. Give it 25-30 hours and it will sound better.

Enjoy!
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

If I later decide to try an external phono stage my buddy has offered to loan me his Parasound JC3 which is his favorite, or the Wyred 4 Sound PH-1 which he has never used in his main setup yet. I think both are out of the range I would want to be in so I may or may not take him up on his offer. These three in the $400 range are probably more where I would be looking.

I wish I could get some direct comparisons, but oh well. For now I am fairly impressed with the U-Turn phono stage.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Look at the Heed. $800 new. Find one used. There are plenty used around 600. Find a Sutherland.

The best entry phono stage I have tried is the Octave EQ2.

Price in the EU is €1500,-.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

If I later decide to try an external phono stage my buddy has offered to loan me his Parasound JC3 which is his favorite, or the Wyred 4 Sound PH-1 which he has never used in his main setup yet. I think both are out of the range I would want to be in so I may or may not take him up on his offer. These three in the $400 range are probably more where I would be looking.

I wish I could get some direct comparisons, but oh well. For now I am fairly impressed with the U-Turn phono stage.

look at a Schiit "Mani" for $129 its a wonderful phono for the money and very nice performance. i would suggest buying direct from Schiit, they offer a return period.

i was looking for a sub $500 phono for my bedroom system and came across the Mani,and it exceeded my expectations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O96tQ2Tqa0s

I got to say, one of the things I am really enjoying is finding albums that I really used to like in vinyl that I have never seen in any digital format... particular Motels, Queen, Robert Palmer, Dan Fogelberg, Lana Del Ray, 10cc, and others. So so good stuff! And all have cleaned up to pristine condition with the Record Doctor. This is the fun stuff.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I got to say, one of the things I am really enjoying is finding albums that I really used to like in vinyl that I have never seen in any digital format... particular Motels, Queen, Robert Palmer, Dan Fogelberg, Lana Del Ray, 10cc, and others. So so good stuff! And all have cleaned up to pristine condition with the Record Doctor. This is the fun stuff.
    Yep,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

I talked with Ben at U-Turn. Although the records play just fine directly on the acrylic platter he suggests the cork mat. The main reason is that the tone arms are setup with a 1/8" mat in the mix, therefore it will be better adjusted with a mat. A cork mat takes care of both concerns, proper tracking angle and no static build up that I found the felt pad can have.

I also decided on the SimAudio 110LP v2 phono stage because of recommendations and reviews. It has the flexibility of setting different loads, resistances, and gain (hopefully I got the terms correct, if not, sorry, I am a turntable noob again). But most importantly I have seen it described in multiple places as "crazy good". In my limited research I did not encounter one review that was not glowing. Plus it comes with a strong thumbs up from Mr. Mike! Several good choices in the low level range that I was looking; Vista, Lounge, Vincent, Cambridge, MoFo, etc., I am confident that the SimAudio will give me a very nice boost and solidify my basic re-entry into the world of vinyl.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I talked with Ben at U-Turn. Although the records play just fine directly on the acrylic platter he suggests the cork mat. The main reason is that the tone arms are setup with a 1/8" mat in the mix, therefore it will be better adjusted with a mat. A cork mat takes care of both concerns, proper tracking angle and no static build up that I found the felt pad can have.

I also decided on the SimAudio 110LP v2 phono stage because of recommendations and reviews. It has the flexibility of setting different loads, resistances, and gain (hopefully I got the terms correct, if not, sorry, I am a turntable noob again). But most importantly I have seen it described in multiple places as "crazy good". In my limited research I did not encounter one review that was not glowing. Plus it comes with a strong thumbs up from Mr. Mike! Several good choices in the low level range that I was looking; Vista, Lounge, Vincent, Cambridge, MoFo, etc., I am confident that the SimAudio will give me a very nice boost and solidify my basic re-entry into the world of vinyl.
    We just can’t leave well enough alone, you gotta love it!

So when are you expecting the Sim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Maybe today!!! I really think that will do me for now.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Maybe today!!! I really think that will do me for now.
    Remember, “think” is a term of uncertainty Why no turntable?

Doing one thing at a time and enjoying it is extreme discipline, something I have not been able to do.

But there’s a lot of truth in stepping back to smell the roses.

Get her in there, score some albums and simply enjoy!

Phono stage is a crucially important piece of the playback puzzle, in some systems perhaps THE most important, and I think moving from the built-in unit to a high quality outboard (by all accounts the Simaudio phonos are excellent) will open your eyes!

I also decided on the SimAudio 110LP v2 phono stage because of recommendations and reviews... Plus it comes with a strong thumbs up from Mr. Mike!
    very nice!! it does seem like the right choice in this area of phono amps. i am really looking forward to hearing your impressions and how you like it.

lots of people here now having fun with vinyl!! ...i think mike may have been right all along: why no turntable?

Why no turntable?

Randy, really enjoying your plunge into vinyl. Very refreshing.

I think in our hobby we have the great opportunity to explore and try out new things. Well done!

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

The SimAudio arrived today. Listening to a couple of albums so far. It is impressive! The manual states it needs 300 hours of break in time.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

The SimAudio arrived today. Listening to a couple of albums so far. It is impressive! The manual states it needs 300 hours of break in time.
    Congrats Randy. Very nice phonostage.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Only about 600 more LP's to go.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Nice job Randy. 300 hours seems a little excessive to me, but who knows?
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Excellent! Your gonna need to post pictures Why no turntable?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    Nice job Randy. 300 hours seems a little excessive to me, but who knows?
    Can’t return a piece of gear after running it for 300 hours Why no turntable?...

I am enjoying and learning from this thread very much. Thanks for all the contribution folks, keep'em coming....

Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    I am enjoying and learning from this thread very much. Thanks for all the contribution folks, keep'em coming....
    I am having fun relearning and playing around with vinyl. While I totally expect digital to remain my main source, I have been listening primarily to vinyl that past weeks. It is fun and sounds amazingly good; of course not close to my digital, but surprisingly good for how little I have put into the vinyl playback equipment so far. I would say under $1400 including the Record Doctor, SimAudio, etc. I doubt I could have done as well in a full digital setup in that range (considering DAC, server, software, etc.), and I am equally sure that if I had put as much into the vinyl as I have into my digital, in total, that they would be on par to each other.

So it proves to me that it is a personal preference, and in my case the convenience of digital will win out, but the vinyl is fun and allows me to re-discover old favorites that are not available in digital!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Ok, Mike and crew (all you guys are the crew), I still love digital, but I have also fallen in love with my new vinyl! Yes, it is definitely more picky, and more fiddling... fine tuning etc. But listening to Alan Parson's Eye In The Sky remastered from original tapes pressed on virgin 180g vinyl is like... DAMMMMM ... ok I get it... and now wondering how high of a cartridge can the U-Turn handle? I still think it is an amazing table.... Ortofon 2M Black???

I actually looked up my old Grace F9E Ruby... was reminiscing how much I loved that cartridge.

You guys win... ok

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

Ok, Mike and crew (all you guys are the crew), I still love digital, but I have also fallen in love with my new vinyl! Yes, it is definitely more picky, and more fiddling... fine tuning etc. But listening to Alan Parson's Eye In The Sky remastered from original tapes pressed on virgin 180g vinyl is like... DAMMMMM ... ok I get it... and now wondering how high of a cartridge can the U-Turn handle? I still think it is an amazing table.... Ortofon 2M Black???

I actually looked up my old Grace F9E Ruby... was reminiscing how much I loved that cartridge.

You guys win... ok
    Ha! When I started this thread I was up against much opposition. NOW, FINALLY, you guys are enjoying another side of the hobby (even if some of you don’t want to give me credit for the nudge over the edge). It’s not better, it’s different. And that was the whole point. Variety.

Agreed Mike... so Ortofon 2M Black ... yes it is fun... my wife has me shopping for a record storage cabinet, piece of furniture... I give you credit... which means I also give you blame ...

Shhhh... pscho babble is playing... holy fuck...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Why no turntable?