Why no turntable? - Page 23
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why no turntable?

Quote Originally Posted by TheOctopus View Post
    So a serious question, can a record be played in zero gravity of space? What if the astronauts decide they want to bring a turntable and some of their favorite albums on a long mission to Mars?
    I would guess no because a turntable is dependent on gravity to put the proper force on the needle in the groove. I have no knowledge of this but I would speculate that some clever company could mechanically put the correct force on the stylus in the groove (maybe some company already does????). But then you would have to consider spinning the record at the correct speed in zero gravity.... and you better clamp that sucker down ....
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; T+A DAC 8 DSD; T+A AMP 8; Audio Mirror SET 45s; KEF R700; AudioQuest Niagara 1000; Falcon Northwest Tiki; W4S Recovery; Oppo BDP-105; Technics ST-9030; Focal Clear; Astell & Kern AK240; Audeze iSine 10

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I would guess no because a turntable is dependent on gravity to put the proper force on the needle in the groove. I have no knowledge of this but I would speculate that some clever company could mechanically put the correct force on the stylus in the groove (maybe some company already does????). But then you would have to consider spinning the record at the correct speed in zero gravity.... and you better clamp that sucker down ....
    It's actually been done before, at least in "Near Space" check it out. https://youtu.be/z1751oqIKYc

Now, of course a proper "adustable" VTF dial with "presets" such as Earth, Moon, IO, Mars, Jupiter, etc.. would be very convenient since the gravity is oh so different everywhere... It would be perfectly OK for the turntable to float around in zero gravity, right side up or upside down as there is no reference point in space.... Theoretically it should work just fine. No need for vibration isolation, no footfall to worry about, etc. The speed is an interesting question as "time" reference is different due to gravitational fields of heavenly bodies. Time slows near bodies with tons of gravity so better compensate for that too. The 33 1/3, 45, 78 may not work very well... But I think the aliens will figure it out when they find the Voyager golden record that's been up there in space traveling since 1977...
    Serge

Post Thanks / Like

That is great. I figured they could make something specifically designed to keep the correct force no matter the environment. I can see it now... the perfect tracking force table for only $100,000... orders your now!
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; T+A DAC 8 DSD; T+A AMP 8; Audio Mirror SET 45s; KEF R700; AudioQuest Niagara 1000; Falcon Northwest Tiki; W4S Recovery; Oppo BDP-105; Technics ST-9030; Focal Clear; Astell & Kern AK240; Audeze iSine 10

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23