Why no turntable? - Page 20
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why no turntable?

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    When I got back into Audio I was going to build a budget system around a pair of Snell speakers I bought in 1993, this included a turn table - the budget was blown and no turntable.

I now want to add a simple vinyl system, despite wanting Brinkmann, betting on my foundation will give a serious contribution in sound quality, and I am not going over the top, I canít and wonít!

Right now I am interested in Clear Audio top of the line Concept and their balanced Phono Stage, for less then $5000 unless anyone else has a suggestion in this league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    No Ed, don't do it. It is as big a hole as digital. Never ending trying to extract the best. And its hard. Very hard to learn and really set up right. Joe can set it up, but, he sells VPI. Then you need a phono preamp. Another pit of what to get. How to select. Then the cartridge. More owe my god. It will keep you from listening to music. And, your digital setup is going to slaughter any vinyl rig unless you spend $30K or more. Your really are at the pinnacle of digital. It will be hard to match it.

Owe yea, it takes up a lot of room because it needs a dedicated stand to meet the expectation you are going to place on it. And where is that going to go in your listening room. Your speakers are very powerful. They will inject sound waves right into any TT near them.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp, Altec Lansing 1570B modded by Transition Audio Design and myself, Mojo Audio CAT Server running Win Server 2016 AO HQ and Roon, Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC, Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Custom TT with Vertere Arm, Denon 103R Midas with sapphire cantilever line contact diamond, Allnic H1201 phono pre, Pure Audio Project Trio 10 with performance Solen air core chokes and Mundord Supreme oil caps, Power via 10 awg OFC cord from panel to custom distribution strip, Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.

Post Thanks / Like

Aside from the cost and maintenance hassle, the biggest issue for me with analog is you canít create playlists of songs you like. Being able to do that with my Lumin gives me hours of uninterrupted pleasure listening to music.
    Bud

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for preamp, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    No Ed, don't do it. It is as big a hole as digital. Never ending trying to extract the best. And its hard. Very hard to learn and really set up right. Joe can set it up, but, he sells VPI. Then you need a phono preamp. Another pit of what to get. How to select. Then the cartridge. More owe my god. It will keep you from listening to music. And, your digital setup is going to slaughter any vinyl rig unless you spend $30K or more. Your really are at the pinnacle of digital. It will be hard to match it.

Owe yea, it takes up a lot of room because it needs a dedicated stand to meet the expectation you are going to place on it. And where is that going to go in your listening room. Your speakers are very powerful. They will inject sound waves right into any TT near them.
    The bottle of poison is in my hand

Power Conditioning, Filters & Switch: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX 105D, 20 AMP Dedicated w/Surge Protection, AQVox SE switch, Keces LPS P3 & P8 w/Nordost AC power and Ghent DC cables for the Gigafoil v4, modem, routers and switches.
    Cables, Isolation, Room Treatment: Nordost Supreme Reference (Odin) Distribution, Reference Line (Valhalla 2) Components and Speakers, HRS M3X Platforms & Damping Plates. Stillpointís Ultra 6/SS and Vicoustic Room Treatments
    Power & Sound: DíAgostino Pre-Amplifier to DíAgostino Momentum Monoís driving Wilson Alexiaís
    Source and Digital: Aurender N10, Brinkmann Nyquist MKII

Post Thanks / Like

i assume most here have seen this new yorker cartoon. if not, enjoy...

Attached Images Attached Images
    kanjiroba 6883-yak + roon rock > t+a dac 8 dsd > almarro a318b > viking acoustics berlin r mk-ii | alp-tone audio alp.wE cables

5. Likes Randy Myers, AJ Soundfield liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another one bits the dust ...

I could never go back. All the hassles associated with vinyl would interfere with my enjoyment of music. I hear people say the hassles of digital , and I wonder how in the world is digital more of a hassle then caring for and setting up a turntable and keeping said table from ruining my albums.... and storage of those albums and record cleaning machines and isolating that table from sound waves in the room, and.... and... and... and then my head starts spinning...

especially when I know how straight forward and simple digital can be... much less so if you do not depend on streaming and "services" but instead keep your music locally.
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; T+A DAC 8 DSD; T+A AMP 8; KEF R700; AudioQuest Niagara 1000; Falcon Northwest Tiki; W4S Recovery; Oppo BDP-105; Technics ST-9030; Astell&Kern AK240; Audeze LCD-i4

7. Likes UltraFast69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    the biggest issue for me with analog is you can’t create playlists of songs you like. Being able to do that with my Lumin gives me hours of uninterrupted pleasure listening to music.
    A true music lover listens to entire albums start to finish, no matter how torturous individual tracks are. Take the pain.
    Oddly enough, I listened to 2 Rachmaninoff symphonies back to back last night...on my digital rig. No irresistible urge to hit shuffle/random play. Weird.

Btw, speaking of "analog" playlists, aren't cassettes making a comeback?

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Why no turntable?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Most of those telling you not to do it, donít presently own a turntable. Hmmm. And memories are a fickle thing. I donít know who ďJoeĒ is, but VPI is a real good one. Get a Prime and a nice Ortofon or similar cart and youíre in your budget.

Setup is hard? No. And itís something you should learn anyway. Reading glasses help. Buy and watch this video and youíll have a new skill ó> https://www.amazon.com/21st-Century-.../dp/B000HA4WU2

There are dozens of videos online as well like this one:

https://youtu.be/VfJnMtolAWo

But I would definitely get the Fremer one and watch it. That being said, Iím sure your dealer will set it up for you, but frankly, itís really a skill you want to know yourself. You will need a few basic tools and youíre on your way. VPIís come with a scale.

Phonostage? SimAudio makes one for about $300. iFi too (iPhono 2). You can go up from there. The Manley Chinook is a killer for the $$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

10. Likes aKnyght liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The only problem with the Fremer one is that he is a pompous ass ... I admit to not watching this dvd/video, however I have seen videos and read many a review. I watched the video where speakers were being delivered to his "listening space" (I can't in good conscience call it a listening room). I have never seen a bigger mess in my life and the way he treats insanely expensive gear is simply overwhelming, frustrating, irritating, and above all else disrespectful.
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; T+A DAC 8 DSD; T+A AMP 8; KEF R700; AudioQuest Niagara 1000; Falcon Northwest Tiki; W4S Recovery; Oppo BDP-105; Technics ST-9030; Astell&Kern AK240; Audeze LCD-i4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    The only problem with the Fremer one is that he is a pompous ass ... I admit to not watching this dvd/video, however I have seen videos and read many a review. I watched the video where speakers were being delivered to his "listening space" (I can't in good conscience call it a listening room). I have never seen a bigger mess in my life and the way he treats insanely expensive gear is simply overwhelming, frustrating, irritating, and above all else disrespectful.
    So why is Fremer a "pompous ass?"
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

He has always been kind to me and you know what? When we launched the Florida Audio Expo, Jason and Michael from Stereophile jumped right in to cover it and all the guys from Part Time Audiophile and Enjoy The Music too. The guys from TAS told us to go pound sand. Michael gave several seminars that people are still talking about today. I donít forget those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

14. Likes Audio 1, nicoff liked this post

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast