Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why no turntable?

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    And how often do they have ISP fails?
    Every powercut ....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    All valid points. I’m part of a few groups of vinyl lovers and 95% don’t have a analog rig more than a VPI Prime or even VPI Scout or similar from Avid or ClearAudio. These folks start out with a few records from GoodWill for 75 cents. Within a few months they are buying Music Matters, Analog Productions, MOFI, finding rare first pressings, etc. You NEVER EVER EVER hear them say, “oh geez, I should have bought a CD player.” In fact, I had to look hard to find a group dedicated to CD’s (I found ONE). But there are dozens of vinyl groups. Hell, there is a group dedicated to just Music Matters pressings - and there are only about 165 (I have them all). There are groups just for MOFI pressings. Vinyl collector groups are everywhere. That’s the fun.

My point is that it becomes more about the collecting of the records and the listening to them, then who’s got the best turntable. In fact, most guys don’t give a shit which turntable you have. They’re more interested in your take on a particular new pressing or a rare old one.

I haven’t witnessed too many turntable fights. Why? Because the turntable guys want them all and love them all. I would love that black gold AF3 TT. OMG, it’s so pretty and yet, I sell AF’s number one competitor - Kronos. I would love an SME, Kuzma or ClearAudio. There isn’t a bad one in the bunch.

The only squabbles I’ve seen is when you see things getting out of hand like $35,000 tone arms and $400,000 tables. Are they good products? Sure, but as I’ve said, buy the $25K rig instead and get $375,000 worth of records!

So you start with a simple setup and start enjoying a part of the hobby you may not have ever experienced before or haven’t done for a long time. Unlikely you will be thinking of a better turntable for a few years. You will be probably more focused on finding that Japanese pressing of DSOTM.

Apparently getting out of hand starts at 5 K ...

Did you list your 5K- 25K system options , interesting to see what 5K can purchase at retail ..

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    It's very rewarding once you find that perfect combo, though!
    True. My analog system is sounding decent. But still a loooong way of from what's possible. If you have less then 10k to spend on analogue. Just don't.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, XLR Interlink: Purist Audio Design - Venustas Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Solid Steel H6

Post Thanks / Like

Analog TT is driven more by setup , combination and alignment than cost. There are basic TT Jungle laws if followed narrows the gap. The really top notch expensive stuff allows a wider performance window going from pressing to pressing , pulling more out of the groove so to speak...

Regards

5. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    If you’re phased only by analog noise and not by digital noise , then congrats , the rest of us will have to just struggle along , enjoying both of course ...

Regards
    I can't/won't dispute this. All I can say is that I rarely notice anything that I would classify as digital noise (I'm also sure it is there but it does not appear to affect me much), but I instantly notice noise from any vinyl system I hear, weather it is the tell tale pops and clicks or the inherent low level hums, etc., that seem to be the norm in phono listening. Then again I have never owned or lived with systems the level that I see discussed here. Us middle class worker bees would never be able to wildly consider spending $25k + on a vinyl setup.
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Audio Mirror SET 45s; T+A AMP 8; KEF R700; AudioQuest Niagara 1000; Falcon Northwest Tiki; W4S Recovery; Oppo BDP-105; Technics ST-9030; Focal Clear; Ayres Pono; Audeze iSine 10

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I rarely notice anything that I would classify as digital noise
    That's because you can't hear inside Mr Waynes head where it originates/resides.
    It doesn't exist in physical reality of measurable soudwaves, or else it would be demonstrable, like LP snap, crackle, pop.
    No imagination needed to hear, or surprise, surprise, measure that. Because it's real.
    Vinylphiles somehow ignore it, we can't. I have heard relatively quiet vinyl playback. Actually sounds great with stuff like Elvis, etc, better than the digital release versions. Then they queue up some classical....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    That's because you can't hear inside Mr Waynes head where it originates/resides.
    It doesn't exist in physical reality of measurable soudwaves, or else it would be demonstrable, like LP snap, crackle, pop.
    No imagination needed to hear, or surprise, surprise, measure that. Because it's real.
    Vinylphiles somehow ignore it, we can't. I have heard relatively quiet vinyl playback. Actually sounds great with stuff like Elvis, etc, better than the digital release versions. Then they queue up some classical....

Well if your ears weren't connected to a 486 you could hear alot of things ..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I can't/won't dispute this. All I can say is that I rarely notice anything that I would classify as digital noise (I'm also sure it is there but it does not appear to affect me much), but I instantly notice noise from any vinyl system I hear, weather it is the tell tale pops and clicks or the inherent low level hums, etc., that seem to be the norm in phono listening. Then again I have never owned or lived with systems the level that I see discussed here. Us middle class worker bees would never be able to wildly consider spending $25k + on a vinyl setup.

Low level hum is not apart of analog TT , again if you cant live with the clicks and pops of analog TT i get it , nothing wrong with that ..

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Well if your ears weren't connected to a 486 you could hear alot of things ..
    And if you and MEP upgraded from 56k modems you might be alright

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19