Why no turntable? - Page 18
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why no turntable?

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post

You made the ridiculous claim. Quoted! for brevity.
    It's not ridiculous because it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    You've been reduced to ifs.
    And you're going to argue everyone "digital" streams and digital is the same as internet.
    Sorry, it isn't. One can be full digital with zero internet. Was so for years.
    You like to put words in peoples' mouths to lend credence to your arguments. Lots of people stream music. Yes, you can be full digital with zero internet, but most people who are into digital have both. I never said that digital streaming and listening to digital files from your hard drive was the same.
    VPI Avenger with 12" 3D arm, Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I do. .
    Exactly.
    VPI Avenger with 12" 3D arm, Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    It's not ridiculous because it happens.
    It's ridiculous because "digital" is infinitely more reliable than turntables, period. Turntable unreliability "happens" too, a lot more often.
    Your hand waving and red herrings not withstanding.

I never said that digital streaming and listening to digital files from your hard drive was the same.
    Because it isn't and is a red herring/false equivalence of your creation. I quoted your claim multiple times.
    If one has internet issues, get a new ISP, or start using digital files.
    Both are still far more reliable than 19th century needle dragging tech.

Why no turntable?
    Because they are not as reliable.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly.
    And how often do they have ISP fails?

Post Thanks / Like

Best qualities? It will bring you analog and give you a taste of just how good it can be. But the Concept is an entry level table with an entry level arm and cart. That being said, it will definitely tell you whether its for you to pursue further.
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    I know your right, and what the true cost will end up being, it will be a ride.
    ...The VPI HW40 ($15,000) or Avid Acutus DARK ($14,000) with a Ortofon Cadenza Black or similar and a Zesto Phonostage or Manley Chinook or Luxman EQ500 would be an absolute killer rig (and a killer rig in 10 years from now)....BUT, start with a simple, less expensive setup to make sure you really like it.
    herein lies the conundrum...

~$5k seems to only get you a teaser analog rig which, presumably, will be unsatisfying.
    ~25k gets you a killer rig which brings out the "best qualities" of vinyl... which is the whole point here, right?

believe me, i really want to add analog... but, the $5k route seems inefficient. why not just go straight to the intended destination? so, looks like $25k is the price to get past the velvet rope and that is a different set of calculus...

is adding a good analog source really worth $25k?
    why not just go all-in on digital with a killer DAC?
    heck, why not rent a house in tuscany for a year and enjoy the weather, food and wine?

in the end, maybe just too much puritan frugality standing between me and vinyl bliss.
    kanjiroba yak + roon rock > t+a dac 8 dsd > almarro a318b > viking acoustics berlin r mk-ii | alp-tone audio alp.wE cables

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    herein lies the conundrum...

~$5k seems to only get you a teaser analog rig which, presumably, will be unsatisfying.
    ~25k gets you a killer rig which brings out the "best qualities" of vinyl... which is the whole point here, right?

believe me, i really want to add analog... but, the $5k route seems inefficient. why not just go straight to the intended destination? so, looks like $25k is the price to get past the velvet rope and that is a different set of calculus...

is adding a good analog source really worth $25k?
    why not just go all-in on digital with a killer DAC?
    heck, why not rent a house in tuscany for a year and enjoy the weather, food and wine?

in the end, maybe just too much puritan frugality standing between me and vinyl bliss.
    All valid points. Iím part of a few groups of vinyl lovers and 95% donít have a analog rig more than a VPI Prime or even VPI Scout or similar from Avid or ClearAudio. These folks start out with a few records from GoodWill for 75 cents. Within a few months they are buying Music Matters, Analog Productions, MOFI, finding rare first pressings, etc. You NEVER EVER EVER hear them say, ďoh geez, I should have bought a CD player.Ē In fact, I had to look hard to find a group dedicated to CDís (I found ONE). But there are dozens of vinyl groups. Hell, there is a group dedicated to just Music Matters pressings - and there are only about 165 (I have them all). There are groups just for MOFI pressings. Vinyl collector groups are everywhere. Thatís the fun.

My point is that it becomes more about the collecting of the records and the listening to them, then whoís got the best turntable. In fact, most guys donít give a shit which turntable you have. Theyíre more interested in your take on a particular new pressing or a rare old one.

I havenít witnessed too many turntable fights. Why? Because the turntable guys want them all and love them all. I would love that black gold AF3 TT. OMG, itís so pretty and yet, I sell AFís number one competitor - Kronos. I would love an SME, Kuzma or ClearAudio. There isnít a bad one in the bunch.

The only squabbles Iíve seen is when you see things getting out of hand like $35,000 tone arms and $400,000 tables. Are they good products? Sure, but as Iíve said, buy the $25K rig instead and get $375,000 worth of records!

So you start with a simple setup and start enjoying a part of the hobby you may not have ever experienced before or havenít done for a long time. Unlikely you will be thinking of a better turntable for a few years. You will be probably more focused on finding that Japanese pressing of DSOTM.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

7. Thanks aKnyght thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

wow!! now that is a convincing argument and, i think, answers the question posed in the OP definitively.

i am in... project for 2020
    kanjiroba yak + roon rock > t+a dac 8 dsd > almarro a318b > viking acoustics berlin r mk-ii | alp-tone audio alp.wE cables

9. Likes Mike liked this post
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    wow!! now that is a convincing argument and, i think, answers the question posed in the OP definitively.

i am in... project for 2020
    Awesome! Looking forward to seeing it.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

Even $5k is a lot to "try" vinyl again. I had vinyl. In the day it really was the only choice for top flight sound. I had Nakamichi decks and a top flight tuner as alternatives to listening to turntable. The tape was mainly used to make my own playlists (I make and delete playlists all the time now). But at that time vinyl was the only game in town.

Now, yes vinyl is a "thing" and I know a few who love the albums and "playing" with their turntables and record cleaning machines. I personally do not look back fondly to the days when I cleaned an album with every playing (other wise I feared that I would damage that fragile vinyl disk)... very loud first generation VPI machine... and constantly making sure my SME III arm was adjusted as good as possible, and making sure the my Grace Ruby cartridge was perfectly clean. And my ex did break off the ruby cantilever and stylus once when she was "dusting".

Honestly, I don't look back to those days fondly. And when I listen to a friend with a 1/4 million dollar rig and the first thing I hear is pops and clicks I go home and listen to the DSD512 decoded output from my T+A ($4500 retail) and I smile, enjoying it a ton more than his turntable (no idea costs) and his $30k phono pre (Audio Research Ref 10 phono pre-amp). This is just me, of course he swears by his vinyl and that is 100% ok. To each his own!
    Preamp: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2 | DAC: T+A DAC 8 DSD | Amplifier: T+A AMP 8 | Speakers: KEF R700; ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 | Power: AudioQuest Niagara 1000; Furman Elite 15i | Digital: Falcon Northwest PC; Microsoft Surface; Roon & HQPlayer; W4S Recovery | CD/SACD: Oppo BDP-105 | Tuner: McIntosh MR7083 | Portable: Astell&Kern AK240; Audeze LCD-i4 | Car System: Burmester Audio

12. Likes rbbert liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you’re phased only by analog noise and not by digital noise , then congrats , the rest of us will have to just struggle along , enjoying both of course ...

Regards

14. Likes Mike Lavigne liked this post

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast