Why no turntable? - Page 17
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why no turntable?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Bingo. In the digital domain, I can’t tell you the last time I listened to an entire album all the way through, then played it all the way through again. But right now I’ve got a MOFI release of CSNY Deja Vu playing through for the second time in a row.
    I can’t tell you the last time I found ONE Album that I didn’t want to skip at least one track. I can’t remember the last album that didn’t have a shit track unworthy of a second listen. Why would I waste 3 1/2 minutes listening to something I don’t enjoy? I don’t eat crappy food just because some chef presents it to me. I don’t stand in front of a painting that doesn’t capture my attention.

Puroagave’s example of us re-sequenceing music or books for fun is plain hyperbole. We do it to not waste time listening to crappy tracks not because we are hyper kinetic.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's & Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata

2. Likes kiwi_1282001, UltraFast69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    this point is a biggie for me. Shuffle play, play lists, yada yada is nothing more than muzak. would you listen the 4th movement of Pathétique first and then jump back to the 2nd? im not the arbiter of good taste or really care what one does within the confines of their domicile, but skipping around tracks is akin to starting a book on chapter 12 then going straight to chapter 3 then starting a new book on chapter 7 before you even finish the first book! Do you also fast forward through movies just the watch the end and then rewind to the middle? or eat dessert between the 1st and 2nd to last course? its moronic. the next thing you'll be admitting to is regularly listening to yer $500k of hifi 50 ft away off the patio deck while reading the paper
    Depending on what’s playing, I will jump around unless it’s an excellent recording then I’m listening to both the music and the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Power Conditioning, Filters & Switch: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX 105D, 20 AMP Dedicated w/Surge Protection, AQVox SE switch, Keces LPS P3 & P8 w/Nordost AC power and Ghent DC cables for the Gigafoil v4, modem, routers and switches.
    Cables, Isolation, Room Treatment: Nordost Supreme Reference (Odin) Distribution, Reference Line (Valhalla 2) Components and Speakers, HRS M3X Platforms & Damping Plates. Stillpoint’s Ultra 6/SS and Vicoustic Room Treatments
    Power & Sound: D’Agostino Pre-Amplifier to D’Agostino Momentum Mono’s driving Wilson Alexia’s
    Source and Digital: Aurender N10, Brinkmann Nyquist MKII

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Bingo. In the digital domain, I can’t tell you the last time I listened to an entire album all the way through, then played it all the way through again. But right now I’ve got a MOFI release of CSNY Deja Vu playing through for the second time in a row.
    It’s a great album, this is one you can listen straight through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Power Conditioning, Filters & Switch: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX 105D, 20 AMP Dedicated w/Surge Protection, AQVox SE switch, Keces LPS P3 & P8 w/Nordost AC power and Ghent DC cables for the Gigafoil v4, modem, routers and switches.
    Cables, Isolation, Room Treatment: Nordost Supreme Reference (Odin) Distribution, Reference Line (Valhalla 2) Components and Speakers, HRS M3X Platforms & Damping Plates. Stillpoint’s Ultra 6/SS and Vicoustic Room Treatments
    Power & Sound: D’Agostino Pre-Amplifier to D’Agostino Momentum Mono’s driving Wilson Alexia’s
    Source and Digital: Aurender N10, Brinkmann Nyquist MKII

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Yes SSDs. But even regular HDs are more reliable than turntables. I have (knock on wood) zero reliability issues with any digital. Period.
    But you went further, you clearly implied that digital was not as reliable as LPs.

The bolded part is, quite frankly, nonsense. Poor internet connectivity has nothing to do with "digital" playback reliability, which is superior to any form of archaic "analog". You are conflating digital with internet.
    If the internet goes down, queue up a CD or a local file or a network file. Instantly.
    You’re picking fly shit out of pepper now AJ. If your only source for digital music is streaming, you are screwed if you lose your internet connection. Next you will argue that no one does that. If you are using a headless server and your WiFi goes down, your remote app won’t work.
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Post Thanks / Like

At one point I was very much into vinyl but these days with the convenience, not to mention the “economics” of streaming services and virtually unlimited selection of music, it is difficult for me to convince myself to get back into it. That’s not to say I didn’t appreciate the analog qualities of vinyl playback with a good turntable, cartridge and phonostage.
    Serge

7. Likes a.wayne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Digital also isn't as stable as vinyl.
    You’re picking fly shit out of pepper now AJ.

You made the ridiculous claim. Quoted! for brevity.

If your only source for digital music is streaming, you are screwed if you lose your internet connection. Next you will argue that no one does that. If you are using a headless server and your WiFi goes down, your remote app won’t work.
    You've been reduced to ifs.
    And you're going to argue everyone "digital" streams and digital is the same as internet.
    Sorry, it isn't. One can be full digital with zero internet. Was so for years.

Post Thanks / Like

Btw, I don't know a single audiophile whose only source of music is streaming. Teen kids, sure. Audiophile, not one.
    I do know countless audiophiles who are digital only...with no streaming whatsoever.
    CDs came out in the 80s. Plenty folks went full digital that far back. Tidal launched in 2014. Gimme a break that audiophiles were streaming Spotify only as there music source prior.

10. Likes Randy Myers liked this post
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Btw, I don't know a single audiophile whose only source of music is streaming. Teen kids, sure. Audiophile, not one.
    I do know countless audiophiles who are digital only...with no streaming whatsoever.
    CDs came out in the 80s. Plenty folks went full digital that far back. Tidal launched in 2014. Gimme a break that audiophiles were streaming Spotify only as there music source prior.
    I do. .
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

12. Likes a.wayne, kzhtoo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No CDs, SACDs, no Lumin files, etc? Only stream these days?
    Swore you had an MQA CD not far back....

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Why no turntable?

No CDs, SACDs, no Lumin files, etc? Only stream these days?
    Swore you had an MQA CD not far back....
    Not me. A client of mine. He’s 100% streaming.

Me? 12,000 LP’s, 2,000+ CD’s and SACD’s, 50+ tapes. I have a really bad habit of buying music. I probably buy 10+ albums a month or more. I’m running out of room. But that won’t stop me.

I stream to find albums and then buy the CD, SACD, LP. But honestly, I mostly listen to music from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s, so I just order it if the pressing is expected to be good.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

15. Likes a.wayne, Randy Myers liked this post

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast