Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Speaker recommendation thread (Organised by tiers of price)

The aim of this thread is to create a list of speakers that people enjoy and recommend and to organise the speakers into a list based on their MSRP. Please recommend speakers that you have personally heard or own and enjoy. I will add the names of the users who recommend a speaker next to the speaker name (and if someone already recommended the speaker you had in mind please feel free to recommend it again because I will add your name as well).

Please feel free to include gear that was used to listen to your recommendation and some impressions (although you do not have to).

This list may be useful to new buyers to get a general sense of popular models to help guide what to audition during the purchase process.

[Under $1000]
    Dali Oberon series @audiotroy
    Kef Q 550 @audiotroy
    Kef Q 750 @audiotroy
    Quad S1 @audiotroy

[$1000-$5000]
    Quad S4 @audiotroy
    Quad S5 @audiotroy
    Quad Z3 @audiotroy
    Qaud Z4 @audiotroy
    Kef R 5 @audiotroy
    Kef R 7 @audiotroy

[$5001-$10,000]
    Golden Ear Tritron 1R @audiotroy
    Dali Rubicon 6 @audiotroy
    Dali Rubicon 8 @audiotroy
    Legacy Signatures @audiotroy
    Paradigm Persona 3F @audiotroy
    Kef Ref 1 @audiotroy
    ATC SCM 19 @audiotroy
    SCM 40 @audiotroy

[$10,001-$20,000]
    Pardigm Persona 5F @audiotroy
    Kef Reference 3 @audiotroy
    Kef Reference 5 @audiotroy
    Dali Epicon 8 @audiotroy
    Wilson Yvette @audiotroy

[$20,001-$30,000]
    Legacy Aeris @audiotroy
    Kef Blades @audiotroy

[$30,001-$50,000]
    Pardigm Persona 9H @smodtactical, @audiotroy
    Vimberg (model?) @audiotroy
    Wilson DAW @audiotroy

[$50,001-$70,000]
    Magico M2 @smodtactical

[$70,001-$100,000]

[$100,001-$200,000]
    Wilson Alexia @audiotroy

[Over $200,000]
    Kharma (which model?) @audiotroy

Re: Speaker recommendation thread (Organised by tiers of price)

With all due respect... Not clear on your relationship with @audiotroy, but the initial list provided above is not much more than a list of the brands and models that he promotes and sells. He has quite a reputation on another forum for stepping into many threads with his heavily biased and endless sales pitches. That doesn't mean that his recommendations have no merit, but think that forum members should be aware that @audiotroy is a retailer.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    With all due respect... Not clear on your relationship with @audiotroy, but the initial list provided above is not much more than a list of the brands and models that he promotes and sells. He has quite a reputation on another forum for stepping into many threads with his heavily biased and endless sales pitches. That doesn't mean that his recommendations have no merit, but think that forum members should be aware that @audiotroy is a retailer.
    Agreed. And smodtactical, you seem to be all over the place:

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Either extremely indecisive or an extreme tire kicker.

Went from looking at new Magico M2 to a used pair of Salons ?

Same as if I went test driving exotic cars but was going to purchase a Toyota Camry all along.

Btw , nothing wrong with Salon 2 or a Toyota Camry.

A shill post for @audiotroy? Oh the humanity!
    MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp, SST Son of Ampzilla II Amp, PS Audio Directstream DAC w/Bridge II, PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, ELAC 3070 Sub, Roon Nucleus w/8TB SSD storage

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - HiFi Rose RS250, KEF LS50W Nocturne Speakers

2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Same on A'Gon too.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

Hmmmmmmm.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Says Mr. Smith: the only speakers I’d buy are Smith’s.

Hey guys, ok I will explain what happened.

I wanted to make this thread on Audiogon first but then I realized you can't edit the original post so I would not be able to add recommendations including users names making the recommendation. So I decided to post on all forums I am part of to get as many recommendations as possible and construct the list. The nice thing about lists like these is you can easily see popular recommendations at a glance and then go audition them.

The reason audiotroy is all over this list is he was the first one to make suggestions. Once I get more suggestions I will add more names and it will then not appear I am a 'shill' for audiotroy.

Regarding what Mike posted you are 100% right I am all over the map. Some days I feel like I want to grab an M2 or M3 then other days I feel like I want to spend half that or less or a Persona 9H or maybe used salon 2s or JBL 4367. Its hard to ignore the possibility for getting extremely good sound that is close to the top tier speakers for substantially less. Apologies for being all over the map and indecisive. But when you are talking about thousands of dollars its not that easy of a decision and the more you hear, the better able you can make an informed decision.

Oh and I think my prior statement was wrong about speakers. I definitely can see a scenario where $50k is worth it. For example getting $100k speakers used for half price. Or get extremely high quality speakers like Magicos for that price... like the M2. Or the used M3 that is on audiogon for under $50k. In fact some people even sold M3s with mpods for $45k approx used! Thats a hell of a deal. But whenever I think of that deal I do wonder... hrm... can I get a sound nearly as good for half or less? Its a nagging thought I keep having.

With the Magicos in particular I think you are paying for the superb build quality in addition to the great sound quality. I think you can attain sound that very much approaches them for less.. for example the 9H to me was almost at Magico M2 level and was in some clear weighs better (more authority in low end and more rumble while still being clean). But then you don't get that amazing metal build quality. Its a tough call whether to pay or save and get something with a compromise that you may not mind in the long run (ie. paradigms build quality is probably pretty solid).

One thing that might be relevant to Magico’s price is that they are built in the San Francisco Bay area, and that is one of the highest cost of living areas in the country. When I visited Magico the employees and work environment seemed to be fine, so I have no issue with their prices.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Oh just realised audiotroy deleted his recommendations lol. Ok now I see why my post looks weird.

Quote Originally Posted by smodtactical View Post
    maybe used salon 2s or JBL 4367. Its hard to ignore the possibility for getting extremely good sound that is close to the top tier speakers for substantially less.
    Well, if you get for example, a Salon 2, you will get a "Camry" that significantly outperforms an "exotic" car with lower 0-60 time, lower 100-0 braking distance, higher top speed, lower lap times, etc, etc, objective measures/controlled conditions testing, for a fraction of the objective price of the "exotic".
    But of course, anecdotal "subjectively", it will not be as fast, have poorer braking and "slower" lap times than the exotic...to certain drivers. The "exotic" must be an audiophile model car.
    Btw , nothing wrong with simply preferring a Camry, or an exotic, without specious analogies.

cheers,

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Well, if you get for example, a Salon 2, you will get a "Camry" that significantly outperforms an "exotic" car with lower 0-60 time, lower 100-0 braking distance, higher top speed, lower lap times, etc, etc, objective measures/controlled conditions testing, for a fraction of the objective price of the "exotic".
    But of course, anecdotal "subjectively", it will not be as fast, have poorer braking and "slower" lap times than the exotic...to certain drivers. The "exotic" must be an audiophile model car.
    Btw , nothing wrong with simply preferring a Camry, or an exotic, without specious analogies.

cheers,

AJ

What objective measurements indicate that a salon 2 is objectively superior to a magico m2?

Please let us know and I’ll provide the same that the objective performance of a Toyota Camry is superior to a Ferrari 488.

Quote Originally Posted by mdp632 View Post
    I’ll provide the same.
    Great, let's see a single electro-acoustic measurement for your "Ferrari", not "spec'd price".
    Lots of publicly available acoustic measurements of the "Camry" to compare to.

Seems I can't update the list on the front page so I will post updates as they come:

[Under $1000]
    Dali Oberon series: @audiotroy
    Kef Q 550: @audiotroy
    Kef Q 750: @audiotroy
    Quad S1: @audiotroy
    Audioengine 2: @kacomess
    Buchart S400: @mrdon
    Tekton Pendragons: @technick
    Mark Audio Sota CestiB: @dseltz
    Wharfedale diamond 225: @audioguy85

[$1000-$5000]
    Quad S4: @audiotroy
    Quad S5: @audiotroy
    Quad Z3: @audiotroy
    Qaud Z4: @audiotroy
    Kef R 5: @audiotroy
    Kef R 7: @audiotroy
    Revel F208: @hemi04
    Dynaudio Special 40: @bwaterme, @manorsessions
    Harbeth C7es3: @biscorbit
    Magnepan LRS: @kacomess
    Vandersteen 2C: @kacomess

[$5001-$10,000]
    Golden Ear Tritron 1R: @audiotroy
    Dali Rubicon 6: @audiotroy
    Dali Rubicon 8: @audiotroy
    Legacy Signatures: @audiotroy
    Paradigm Persona 3F: @audiotroy
    Kef Ref 1: @audiotroy
    ATC SCM 19: @audiotroy
    SCM 40: @audiotroy
    Dynaudio C1 Confidence Platinum: @manorsessions

[$10,001-$20,000]
    Pardigm Persona 5F: @audiotroy
    Kef Reference 3: @audiotroy
    Kef Reference 5: @audiotroy
    Dali Epicon 8: @audiotroy
    Wilson Yvette: @audiotroy
    Rethm Saadhana: @dseltz
    Dynaudio C4 Confidence Platinum: @manorsessions

[$20,001-$30,000]
    Legacy Aeris: @audiotroy
    Kef Blades: @audiotroy
    Sonus Faber Amati: @pfank12

[$30,001-$50,000]
    Pardigm Persona 9H: @smodtactical, @audiotroy
    Vimberg (model?): @audiotroy
    Wilson DAW: @audiotroy
    Egglestonworks Vigniti: @liamowen

[$50,001-$70,000]
    Magico M2: @smodtactical
    Dynaudio Evidence Platinum: @manorsessions

[$70,001-$100,000]

[$100,001-$200,000]
    Wilson Alexia: @audiotroy

[Over $200,000]
    Kharma (which model?): @audiotroy

Audioshark

We had to change the edit functions due to a couple of looney Aussies who got their knickers in a knot and started deleting all their posts.

Your list covers a wide price range. Wouldn’t it be better if you just focused on your budget, and then started to dive into the type of speaker that you like: cone & dome, panel, horn, dipole, omnipole, etc.?

I’ve probably heard more speakers than a lot of these folks commenting. Frankly, there isn’t much on the market today, I haven’t heard - at least one or two models from every brand, in many cases, many more.

Do these guys travel to Munich? Do they go to Axpona, RMAF, Florida Audio Expo every year - religiously? Did they go to CES in the heyday? But what I like, isn’t what you will like.

And you have to always take into account the most important factor: the room. Although some forum owners won’t admit their room is bad, I will. Mine sucks. It’s shaped like a teepee. The floor is wobbly since it’s over a garage. But it’s mine. All mine. And I have a door and can lock it and escape. I’ve treated my room the absolute best I can. I’ve fed dedicated 20amp circuits (8 lines) from a dedicated panel box with AudioQuest NRG and Furutech outlets.

I would say you first need to decide whether you are a cone & dome guy, panel guy, horn guy, dipole guy, concentric driver guy, omnipole guy, etc. Also, will you use subs or not? Have you always craved using a SET amp or are you a big ass SS amp kind of guy? Will you be vinyl, digital or both? Do you listen to rock, classical, jazz or everything?

Focus on budget, topology of design, and then answer yourself honestly about your room, music type, etc. That will go a long way in helping you narrow down a speaker choice, if that is your ultimate goal.

If you want the best speakers in the world (in my opinion), get a pair of MBL 101 Xtremes with a full MBL amp reference setup. Don’t like those, get Avantgarde Trio XD’s with 6 basshorn stack and some Kondo amps.

Want a system that will blow away many costing 5-10 times as much? B&W 800D3’s with a pair of DB1D subs. OR Revel Salon 2’s with some nice JL/REL/B&W subs. But bring big ballsy amps. You want to think outside the box? MBL 101eMK2 with MBL Noble Electronics. You get 75% of the best sound system in the world for a lot less money. Want to get a pair of speakers that will bring you live music dynamics? Avantgarde Duo XD’s and a sweet 300b SET amp. Hell, that will only run you $50-60K TOTAL. You want state of the art cone and dome? Magico M2/M3/M6. The new $172,000 Rockports too. You want shit recordings to sound listenable? Harbeth anything. The list could go on and on. And not only have I heard them all, I own or have owned them all.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Audioshark

I really feel like we are being played. May I suggest you check out Raidho speakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

I really feel like we are being played. May I suggest you check out Raidho speakers?

You are. You should close this thread. It's a waste of time.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    You are. You should close this thread. It's a waste of time.
    Agreed. It affects those who are legitimately trying to search for speakers rather than feed their blog.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team