Orpheus
    Goldmund
    Avid Acutus SME V Benz Lp-S
    Clearaudio Master Innovation Thales Simplicity Orotofon Anna
    CH Precision C1 Meridian Sooloos
    Audio Research ref 2 Phono

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who still makes SACD players?

Although these are not made anymore, they are still around in copious quantities. I have a Sony Playstation 3 that I bought from a friend who had installed the proper software to rip my SACDs into .iso files. I then convert them to .dsf files in stereo and when available mch files to playback through my stereo and mch DACs. I bought an Oppo 105 shortly after Oppo announced it was closing down its production, mostly so I could continue to rip SACDs if and when the PS3 failed. It can play SACDs, but I don't use it for that purpose.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-Lampi Pacific, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-Symmetrical Power&ArtKelmGroundOneIsoTrans,AudioDiskVinylClean er,AirTightRecordFlattener, Scott Rust cables
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs ,50TBripped files

Post Thanks / Like

What is SACD and DMP? So many acronyms and other things to learn when you haven't been into high end audio for 40 years. Trying to get up to speed with all the recent technology but it is indeed a challenge.

And.....are CD players made within the last 10 years of good sonic quality? I have 2 Yamaha CD players (one for each HT system, upstairs and downstairs) that are about 10 years old but have had very little use. Are these adequate for an audiophile system? About 99% of my CDs have been ripped to iTunes (WAV files) and an external HD. My main source will be streaming so I wasn't planning on adding an expensive CD player to my new system. Should I?

Post Thanks / Like

If your new integrated amp has a DAC for your streaming, you can use the digital out of the Yamaha into the same DAC to play CD's.

SACD = Super Audio CD. The discs need the SACD player to play them but the player was backward compatible with regular CD. I can't remember the technical specs, SACD was a higher resolution over a typical CD.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    What is SACD and DMP? So many acronyms and other things to learn when you haven't been into high end audio for 40 years. Trying to get up to speed with all the recent technology but it is indeed a challenge.

And.....are CD players made within the last 10 years of good sonic quality? I have 2 Yamaha CD players (one for each HT system, upstairs and downstairs) that are about 10 years old but have had very little use. Are these adequate for an audiophile system? About 99% of my CDs have been ripped to iTunes (WAV files) and an external HD. My main source will be streaming so I wasn't planning on adding an expensive CD player to my new system. Should I?
    Aurender ACS10 w/AQ Diamond,
    Mark Levinson #526 & 532h, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3