Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Who still makes SACD players?

Quote Originally Posted by Rms View Post
    The CDS-2100 was bought as a spare in case an Accuphase DP -720 ever needed service. Comparing the two, the 720 blows it out of the water, although should try to use the digital out into the DAC and try again. The Yamaha misses out on soundstage and quite a bit of detail is missing, it’s not as enjoyable and engaging as the Accuphase product, for a tenth of the price though, it’s far better than any Sony BD or Oppo player. The Yamaha is in storage for a year, should power it on again and let it wake up.
    Thanks , but seriously, a 30k player and you had to worry about having a 'back up', LOL !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    But at least you have the option to upgrade, you can't do that with a standalone player. For example, I can upgrade from Esoteric Grandioso D1 DAC to Grandioso D1X DAC and still use the same Grandioso P1 SACD transport.
    Actually, upgrades to a standalone player may not always be 'closed' as represented in this thread. Some players may be upgraded by adding an external clock (e.g., Esoteric); others by adding an external power supply (e.g., Simaudio). Still others by software updates. In a few instances, DAC upgrades have been offered (Esoteric, on a limited basis).... but often it's more cost effective to trade in the old player for a newer model (which may still cost about the same or less than upgrading only the DAC of a DAC/transport pair).

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post

Of course it is very much a personal preference. For me a PC is ideal. In essence products such as SGM are PCs designed to work as an audio component. Yes, they really concentrate on low noise, etc. I have nothing but good things to say about these companies, and if you do not like working with computers and have money to spare they are solid choices. However, a very capable computer can be had for give or take $2000, therefore a fraction of items such as SGM.

Lets compare:

SGM server for about $18,000 -vs- my new Falcon for about $2400

Software: HQPlayer and Roon -vs- HQPlayer and Roon
    CPU: Intel i7 7700 4 core 4.2 GHz max turbo speed -vs- Intel i7 9700 8 core 4.9 GHz max turbo speed
    RAM: 16 GB DDR4 with heat sinks -vs- 16 GB DDR4 with heat sinks
    Storage: Optional 1 TB SSD -vs- included 2x 1 TB M.2
    Power: Low noise internal computer power supply -vs- Low noise Gold level internal computer power supply
    Case: custom metal case -vs- custom metal case
    CPU Cooling: Heat pipe cooling system -vs- liquid cooling system

As you can see, more similarities then differences. The SGM looks like a great machine and certainly looks more like an audio component then my Falcon computer. I think it is a great choice for someone looking for a very nice pre-built music server. I assume that SGM can update the CPU they use to the new i7 9700. I would think this is critical because in my test I have verified that HQPlayer does indeed use all 8 cores that my CPU has, and it also does turbo the CPU up to about 4.6 GHz speed! CPU use is the single largest factor for HQPlayer according to test I have ran, followed by hard drive access. M.2 drives are vastly faster than SSD, although both are vastly better then HDD for speed, no noise, and no heat.

I know this has varied off the original discussion and I apologies and will not go down this path further. I simply wanted to address a topic that was brought up.
    Great post.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Of course it is very much a personal preference. For me a PC is ideal. In essence products such as SGM are PCs designed to work as an audio component. Yes, they really concentrate on low noise, etc. I have nothing but good things to say about these companies, and if you do not like working with computers and have money to spare they are solid choices. However, a very capable computer can be had for give or take $2000, therefore a fraction of items such as SGM.

Lets compare:

SGM server for about $18,000 -vs- my new Falcon for about $2400

Software: HQPlayer and Roon -vs- HQPlayer and Roon
    CPU: Intel i7 7700 4 core 4.2 GHz max turbo speed -vs- Intel i7 9700 8 core 4.9 GHz max turbo speed
    RAM: 16 GB DDR4 with heat sinks -vs- 16 GB DDR4 with heat sinks
    Storage: Optional 1 TB SSD -vs- included 2x 1 TB M.2
    Power: Low noise internal computer power supply -vs- Low noise Gold level internal computer power supply
    Case: custom metal case -vs- custom metal case
    CPU Cooling: Heat pipe cooling system -vs- liquid cooling system

As you can see, more similarities then differences. The SGM looks like a great machine and certainly looks more like an audio component then my Falcon computer. I think it is a great choice for someone looking for a very nice pre-built music server. I assume that SGM can update the CPU they use to the new i7 9700. I would think this is critical because in my test I have verified that HQPlayer does indeed use all 8 cores that my CPU has, and it also does turbo the CPU up to about 4.6 GHz speed! CPU use is the single largest factor for HQPlayer according to test I have ran, followed by hard drive access. M.2 drives are vastly faster than SSD, although both are vastly better then HDD for speed, no noise, and no heat.

I know this has varied off the original discussion and I apologies and will not go down this path further. I simply wanted to address a topic that was brought up.
    Hi Randy,

Was curious if you’d had a chance to listen to the SGM EVO or SHM Extreme, or had the opportunity to compare them with the Falcon?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rockport Lyra speakers; TotalDac Amp-1 mono blocks; four box CH Precision L1/X1 pre/power supply monos; CH precision P1/X1 phono/power supply; TotalDac d1-driver monos; Pacific Microsonics Model 2 DAC; TotalDac d1-12 MkII DAC with two reclockers; Kodo The Beat Turnatable with LT Schroder magnesium tonearm and Lyra Atlas cart; Taiko Extreme server; Kalista Dreamplayer CD Transport; Taiko Audio Daiza Platforms; Nordost Odin2 Power Cords and Analog ICs; 512 Engineering/Tim Marutani Balanced Transformers (30 amp for sources; 50 amp for amps); Rives designed dedicated room.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    Thanks , but seriously, a 30k player and you had to worry about having a 'back up', LOL !
    Lol, I was thinking the same thing. A CDS-2100 as a back up . I did try a Yamaha 1000 once and loved the look and feel of the machine. Unfortunately it was defective out of the box and there were no more to be had. I ended up purchasing a Marantz which I thought was a very nice machine. Maybe even better then my Oppo, however the Oppo serves one purpose. I never listen to CDs or SACDs now. I spin them once to put them on my server. Then matching the transport to the DAC is irrelevant. The DSD64 files get up-sampled to DSD512/48 and sound much better then the original SACDs.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by cmarin View Post
    Hi Randy,

Was curious if you’d had a chance to listen to the SGM EVO or SHM Extreme, or had the opportunity to compare them with the Falcon?

Thanks.

No I have not and my guess is, if updated to latest generation CPU, they might be better then my computer. They better be at about 9 times the price. But being a computer engineer I believe any differences would be extremely small.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

No I have not and my guess is, if updated to latest generation CPU, they might be better then my computer. They better be at about 9 times the price. But being a computer engineer I believe any differences would be extremely small.
    Hi Randy,

I’ve played with a number of computers and modifications, and dedicated servers over the last few years. My current server is a SGM EVO (playing files from internal SSDs) upgraded from the original SGM 2015. I can tell you that in my case, the jump from standard computers to the SGM2015 was significant. And the jump to the SGM EVO was another not insignificant increment. I haven’t heard the latest SGM (extreme) iteration, but individuals that have the latest version report again non-significant improvements over the SGM EVO.

Emile Bok and company are doing some pretty innovative work with internal and external vibration controls that pays off in significant sonic improvements.

Nevertheless, I still primarily use a Kalista Dreamplayer CD transport (sitting on a vibration control platform developed by Emile Bok) for digital playback. The difference between the two is not day and night, but there is definitely magic in a mechanical transport.

But I’m looking forward to comparing the SGM extreme server to the Kalista in the near future.

Of course YMMV.

Rockport Lyra speakers; TotalDac Amp-1 mono blocks; four box CH Precision L1/X1 pre/power supply monos; CH precision P1/X1 phono/power supply; TotalDac d1-driver monos; Pacific Microsonics Model 2 DAC; TotalDac d1-12 MkII DAC with two reclockers; Kodo The Beat Turnatable with LT Schroder magnesium tonearm and Lyra Atlas cart; Taiko Extreme server; Kalista Dreamplayer CD Transport; Taiko Audio Daiza Platforms; Nordost Odin2 Power Cords and Analog ICs; 512 Engineering/Tim Marutani Balanced Transformers (30 amp for sources; 50 amp for amps); Rives designed dedicated room.

I am glad you enjoy the SGM machines. They sound like wonderful servers. Unfortunately I will never be able to afford a machine such as that. The Falcon is not a regular computer, to say the least. They are the oldest custom built PCs and in my view by far the best. I truly believe that the SGM would be better, but I also believe it would be only slightly better and probably not even noticeably better considering the rest of my gear (I don't own $170,000 speakers). If I owned that level of equipment the SGMs would be a no brainer .

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Who still makes SACD players?