Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Coat Hanger Cables

Seems I see one of these articles comparing decent cables to junk every few years. I present this latest one I ran across for your enjoyment

https://www.androidauthority.com/pre...th-it-1001521/

Re: Coat Hanger Cables

LOL, written for people who listen to all their music thru $10 ear buds on a phone.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

I also like how they completely downplay/ignore the potential effect of up to 1 dB deviations. I'm sure they're quite happy with their systems and cheapie cables, but why pretend to be an audiophile just to pick fights with more extravagantly geared audiophiles?

Where do you get a coat hanger that will stretch out to 8 feet? The problem with these cable tests is that cable differences require dedicated listening on a system you are extremely familiar with. Just having random strangers listening to strange stereos accomplishes nothing.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

To each their own. Wire the system with barbed wire for all I care.

My experiences with quite a number of audio cable manufacturers over many years has clearly demonstrated performance differences. Quite frankly, I am not the least bit concerned with how someone else decides to cable their sound system. The only sound systems I am concerned with are under my roof. The only person I have to satisfy is myself.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Right, and if those who are new swallow this stuff with at least not trying for themselves then they deserve what they have.

When you don't know who is right, you try for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post

My experiences with quite a number of audio cable manufacturers over many years has clearly demonstrated performance differences. Quite frankly, I am not the least bit concerned with how someone else decides to cable their sound system. The only sound systems I am concerned with are under my roof. The only person I have to satisfy is myself.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Right, and if those who are new swallow this stuff with at least not trying for themselves then they deserve what they have.

When you don't know who is right, you try for yourself.
    Mr Peabody.......We all started somewhere, flipped, flopped and floundered our way to where we are today. When I built my first high-end system in 1968 there was no Internet, no audio forums, only friends and a few stereo stores to offer advice. I managed to get where I am today one step at a time. I believe for anyone truly interested in our hobby, beginner or not, it is much easier now to assemble a decent system with good performance without having to be a full blown audio nerd such as the likes of us.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Now that is funny Coat Hanger Cables

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Sometimes, as in the referenced article, all the information can be a henderence to putting together a good system. Neither of us would have gotten anywhere without an open mind is all I'm saying.

As an example, I borrowed a multi outlet power piece from a store thinking it may do something, the guy throws me a power cord to try as well, I sort of laughed lightly but took it. I at least tried it. The outcome, I ended up taking the outlet piece back and bought as many power cords as I could replace.

I remember first starting out and learning about phase of speaker wire, splicing is bad, etc. I didn't even hear of higher quality cables until early 90's when a place I worked at picked up Audioquest. Then it was only speaker cable in bulk.

I think people in the hobby have to experiment for themselves as there are too many idiots like Ethan Weiner deliberately misleading people for some reason. So many out there ragging on cables and tweaks who won't even try it.

Mr Peabody.......We all started somewhere, flipped, flopped and floundered our way to where we are today. When I built my first high-end system in 1968 there was no Internet, no audio forums, only friends and a few stereo stores to offer advice. I managed to get where I am today one step at a time. I believe for anyone truly interested in our hobby, beginner or not, it is much easier now to assemble a decent system with good performance without having to be a full blown audio nerd such as the likes of us.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

What a crappy comparison in that link. They used zipcord to compare it to along with some other junk cables on a POS system.
    I would not expect to hear a difference. You can't make $hit look pretty.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Sometimes, as in the referenced article, all the information can be a henderence to putting together a good system. Neither of us would have gotten anywhere without an open mind is all I'm saying.

As an example, I borrowed a multi outlet power piece from a store thinking it may do something, the guy throws me a power cord to try as well, I sort of laughed lightly but took it. I at least tried it. The outcome, I ended up taking the outlet piece back and bought as many power cords as I could replace.

I remember first starting out and learning about phase of speaker wire, splicing is bad, etc. I didn't even hear of higher quality cables until early 90's when a place I worked at picked up Audioquest. Then it was only speaker cable in bulk.

I think people in the hobby have to experiment for themselves as there are too many idiots like Ethan Weiner deliberately misleading people for some reason. So many out there ragging on cables and tweaks who won't even try it.
    The problem I have with experimenting with cables and tweaks is it can get expensive and it isn’t the best use of my money to hope that an expensive cable will give me a “jaw dropping experience” or present some new “astounding” impact. Also, there are way too many people that embellish and out right lie about the benefits of certain tweaks and cables, and reviewers often can’t be trusted or believed since they have a bias or financial incentive to review a certain piece of equipment, tweak or cable as “the best I’ve ever heard”.

I have mostly decent cables but I’m still skeptical of $5,000 power cables and $2000 interconnects. I would like to compare other cables to what I own but I’m not willing to plunk down the money on the hope it will take my system to another level.

What is an audio enthusiast supposed to do but wonder and scratch his head when they see people touting how great some tweak, cable or piece of equipment is and months later put it up for sale and claim there newest acquisition is now the best ever?

Choosing cables and tweaks to put in my system is a process I mostly avoid, but I still wonder what I’m missing out on...
    MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp, SST Son of Ampzilla II Amp, PS Audio Directstream DAC w/Bridge II, PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, ELAC 3070 Sub, Roon Nucleus w/8TB SSD storage

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - HiFi Rose RS250, KEF LS50W Nocturne Speakers

If real differences are heard in speaker cables, the difference is often caused by contact resistance in the connectors. In some recent amplifier power tests, unexpected power differences were traced to the banana plugs.

It's true the question of effectiveness of cable upgrade vs. money spent, is a good one. But again, many of us have evolved our systems to where we're settled (relatively) on the major components, and switching speakers and cartridges require a lot of hassles & readjustments, not to mention the havoc it can wreak on system balance. So cable loom upgrades can be the nice way to wring out that extra performance out of the systems we already love, without having to start over again in a major re-balancing.

Personally, I was using and liked the AudioQuest copper cables - and when it came time to upgrade, each step made towards a full PSS silver loom was exhilarating, without significantly upsetting system balance.

On the issue of connector resistance, I remember my old dealer (a wise man) reminding me to periodically make/break/clean all connections in a system. Actually, I need to do that again soon. But I have gone back & forth a few times between AQ Mont Blank & AQ Kilimanjaro speaker cables - same cable design, same connectors, only difference is the Kili being silver vs. the Mont Blanc's copper. I clean both sets of connectors. The Kili is easily the better sounding cable each time.

It helps to have a store willing to lend. Many cable companies provide shops with demo pieces just for lending. Also, friends or audio clubs are a source of listening and comparing.

There is, The Cable Companies lending library.

I have now what I feel is good cables. Unfortunately, I find cables are system dependent. So if swapping gear a lot, it can be expensive to keep up with cables. A real downside the used market is ruthless and cables really seem not to keep value, in general.

I've had cables/cords make significant improvement though and I wouldn't have a high quality system without high quality cabling.

Quote Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
    The problem I have with experimenting with cables and tweaks is it can get expensive and it isn’t the best use of my money to hope that an expensive cable will give me a “jaw dropping experience” or present some new “astounding” impact. Also, there are way too many people that embellish and out right lie about the benefits of certain tweaks and cables, and reviewers often can’t be trusted or believed since they have a bias or financial incentive to review a certain piece of equipment, tweak or cable as “the best I’ve ever heard”.

I have mostly decent cables but I’m still skeptical of $5,000 power cables and $2000 interconnects. I would like to compare other cables to what I own but I’m not willing to plunk down the money on the hope it will take my system to another level.

What is an audio enthusiast supposed to do but wonder and scratch his head when they see people touting how great some tweak, cable or piece of equipment is and months later put it up for sale and claim there newest acquisition is now the best ever?

Choosing cables and tweaks to put in my system is a process I mostly avoid, but I still wonder what I’m missing out on...

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Just rolling eyes and wondering, what cables has this guy ever actually compared for himself.

Granted, if someone has a HT receiver differences could be so subtle as not to be worth the expense. Although, something like Bluejeans would still get my vote.

If using gear capable of better resolution and someone can't hear the difference, then they aren't willing to admit it. If you honestly can't hear the difference you shouldn't buy the cables or more expensive gear. If a person claims to be able to detect a difference in any range of component, whether amp, cartridge, or, whatever, then says they can't hear a difference in cables, they just aren't being honest or never tried. If your position is nothing makes a difference I have to wonder why you are here then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    If real differences are heard in speaker cables, the difference is often caused by contact resistance in the connectors. In some recent amplifier power tests, unexpected power differences were traced to the banana plugs.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Coat Hanger Cables