Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lumin App (iOS) frequently hangs; requires kill and restart

Hello,

I have the feeling that lumin developers are sometimes reading in this forum? So I have the hope that my issue report does find the right way...

I am using the Lumin app on iOS (iPad mini 2) to control a Bubble UPnP Server. With this I can stream qobuz to an otherwise openhome not supporting streamer. But I have read in the minimserver forum that users with lumin hardware do have this issue as well IIRC.

The issue is:
    After starting the lumin app everything is working fine. But after a while of not using the iPad nor the app, if I return to the app, it does not respond to user input anymore. The only way to make it work again is to kill the app and restart it. The problem does not occur everytime, but very often (nearly everytim).

Is this an already known issue? Is there something that I could try to fix it? Do you need more information about it?

Thanks
    Gert

Super Moderator

Re: Lumin App (iOS) frequently hangs; requires kill and restart

Welcome to the forum Gert, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Welcome!
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Welcome Gert.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

What's your iOS version? How much free storage space do you have on the Mini 2? Please try another iOS device such as iPhone.

We used to have a Mini in our office before it was retired, and did not experience the problem you described. We do not test with Bubble UPnP though.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hello all together, Hello Peter,

The iOS version of the iPad mini 2 is 12.3.1 if I am not wrong. It is the most recent version and until now every new iOS version has still reached the mini 2. (This will change with the forthcoming iOS 13 I think).

Available storage on the device is about 5GB (from 16GB).

I do not own another apple mobile device that I could test the app on.

The thread in the minimserver forum is the following. Maybe you can find some other information there?
    https://forum.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=5274

I am not sure when the problem started. Maybe 2 or 3 months ago. Until then the app always did work fine. I am not sure if it has to do with the lumin app version or something different. The Bubble UPnP server did not update since December I think. The iOS and Synology NAS OS (that is running the server) certainly did update several times. I cannot remember any WIFI changes in my network or other things...

I have to analyse the exact behaviour in the next days so I can describe it in more detail. I think the behaviour is different from time to time. Just now I had the problem again, but in this case only the qobuz communication did not work anymore. An "qobuz error" was reported (this was not the first time). I had to switch to browsing my NAS files and back to qobuz to make it work again. But I did not need to restart the app.

But sometimes the qobuz icon is not shown anymore in the icon row. So I cannot toggle between the icons. I just can restart the app.

Sometimes the playlist is not displayed anymore. The list is displayed as empty, but in fact the Bubble UPnP Server playlist is filled with some tracks. After restarting the app they are displayed correctly again.

And also I remember another case where the playlist was displayed normally, but I could not clear it. The trashcan icon did not do anything (even did not show the requester if I really want to delete the playlist). After restarting the app everything did work again.

While the problems occurs the music is still playing fine, so the NAS has not gone to sleep, etc.

I do not see such problems with the Bubble UPnP controller on my android smartphone, so I think it is not network related generally. I could test the lumin app on android, but I think this will not help very much? (Also the smartphone screen is a little too small for the lumin app to make it really usable if the layout did not change in newer releases.)

Kind regards
    Gert

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    What's your iOS version? How much free storage space do you have on the Mini 2? Please try another iOS device such as iPhone.

We used to have a Mini in our office before it was retired, and did not experience the problem you described. We do not test with Bubble UPnP though.
    I have the same problem on both iPad pro and iPhone X (fully updated iOS). It appeared after the penultimate Lumin app uddate. Last Lumin app update didn't solve the problem. After 30-60 minutes, when I come back to Lumin app it has lost connection with the device (Linn Klimax mk4) and have to restart Lumin app to connect again. It has worked perfectly for years, until penultimate update.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Just for additional information purposes, I have no problem with the Lumin app. This is used on both an iPad Mini, and an iPhone 7, and both are at the current IOS. The Lumin X1 is using a direct attached hard drive to play music.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Have you guys with the problems tried shutting down everything back to the router waiting a few minutes and then re-booting the entire chain in order from the router forward one at a time. Make sure each piece is fully up before moving to the next with the Apple control device last. Always try this first if you have response problems from the app.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I have tried everithing (router ...) and finaly isolated the problem, Lumin app. I post this after a lot of testing.

Just want to say that i have no problem with the Lumin App , i use Ipad pro 10.5 inch and Iphone X all devices updated to latest versions.
    I only use Tidal HiFi / Master to play from.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Nordost QB8

No problems with my iPad pro either running my library on an NAS with Minimserver. I have Bubble UPNP (App only) available on a secondary system (Hegel H190) and use it to read files from my NAS as well. Since I have many DSD files and files above 192kHz and the Hegel H190 has limited capabilities over USB I use a small mini PC running JRiver (to re-sample those files above 192kHz) and a USB to SPDIF converter.
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Did completely deleting the app from your device and iCloud and then re-installing it clean help? Also try installing either the Teac HR app or the Esoteric one (both Lumin) and see if they work.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Did completely deleting the app from your device and iCloud and then re-installing it clean help? Also try installing either the Teac HR app or the Esoteric one (both Lumin) and see if they work.
    Good advices.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

A small update: I have bought a new iPad (2018). This does show the same problems. (But it is faster )

The lumin app certainly was freshly installed on the new iPad. But regarding the suggestion of removing the app completely even from the cloud: What does this mean "removing it from the cloud"? Isn't it enough to install it on a new iPad as a new app?

The test with restarting all network devices: I hope to find the time to try this at the weekend. But how should this help if everything else is working? (Just for interest from a technical point of view.)

Best Regards
    Gert

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Just for additional information purposes, I have no problem with the Lumin app. This is used on both an iPad Mini, and an iPhone 7, and both are at the current IOS. The Lumin X1 is using a direct attached hard drive to play music.
    +1...I have not issues with my Lumin app running on an Apple iPad with the latest iOS update. I use a Lumin L1 attached to the switch.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

If you have the Lumin app installed on a device and do back-ups through iCloud the next time you go to install the app it will look in your iCloud account first before down loading a fresh version from the App Store. So if the version in iCloud is corrupt that is what it will keep installing. This is how to delete it from iCloud.

https://www.imyfone.com/ios-data-era...p-from-icloud/

Up until now I hadn't experienced any problems either, but just now the app on my iPad (with latest ios) decided to give up. It got to the end of a playlist, and when I went to open the app to play a new album, it wouldn't recognise the X1, so I tried cycling the power on the X1 and that didn't help. I tried playing files using JRiver on my desktop to control the X1 and that worked fine, so I figured it was the app on the iPad. Once I killed the app and restarted it, everything was fine. Hopefully it's just a one-off, let's see.....

No problems with my old iPad mini (not the 2nd) either running my library on an NAS (QNAP) with Minimserver.
    iOS 12.3.1
    Lumin APP 6.1.8

Just 2 things (OFF TOPIC) I'd like ti ask:

- is it possible (via software) to change the phase of the Music?
    - are there some flac radio through TuneIn?

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    No problems with my old iPad mini (not the 2nd) either running my library on an NAS (QNAP) with Minimserver.
    iOS 12.3.1
    Lumin APP 6.1.8

Just 2 things (OFF TOPIC) I'd like ti ask:

- is it possible (via software) to change the phase of the Music?
    - are there some flac radio through TuneIn?

Don't know how old this info is but there is some here: https://www.24bit96.com/24bit96khz-d...o-streams.html

Most of the time I listen to internet radio via the Lumin (which isn't tons), it's either one of the Linn stations (320kbps MP3s) or these - https://www.radio.net/s/audiophilejazz

This is a list of FLAC quality Internet radio stations but they will not be available through Tunein which to my knowledge doesn't support FLAC. You will have to use Airplay to play these stations in CD quality.

https://www.hiresaudio.online/cd-qua...nternet-radio/

is it possible (via software) to change the phase of the Music?
    Yes, In the app - options under your LUMIN model, there is an 'Invert Phase' option.
    [Associated with LUMIN]

Quote Originally Posted by thingswelike View Post
    Yes, In the app - options under your LUMIN model, there is an 'Invert Phase' option.
    I own the U1 mini but I don't find this! Maybe this (wondeful) model cannot do it?

This is how it works with the X1. Select Options.

7A36BECE-EBAA-4CEE-99E5-4B055939AEE9.png

Then

87356ABA-9CDE-4D6D-9CD0-1CE12039ED76.png
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Thank you Bud for your time...
    No, on my side (U1 mini) no option about.

Okay. However, sometimes vendors have the same feature in different locations on different models. Good luck.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

T1 can also invert phase just as the X1.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Nordost QB8

I'm just speculating but the fact the U1 and U1MINI function as digital transports only (unlike other models which include internal DACs) could be the reason they may not offer a phase inversion option.

I think that someone from Lumin will probably be able to answer that question.
    audio.bill that's a good thought.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Nordost QB8

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    I'm just speculating but the fact the U1 and U1MINI function as digital transports only (unlike other models which include internal DACs) could be the reason they may not offer a phase inversion option.
    That's correct! In our current design phase inversion is intended for the analog output only.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    That's correct! In our current design phase inversion is intended for the analog output only.
    What about the future? Who knows.... OK, I understood.
    But... theoretically, is it possible on U1 and mini version?

Sorry guys, you are a little bit off topic regarding the phase change option. But thank you for the FLAC quality Internet radio stations

To get back on topic:

I have tried to clean the cloud data for the lumin app on the new iPad 2018. The way to get there did look different than described in the linked page https://www.imyfone.com/ios-data-era...p-from-icloud/ for iOS11. What I did:

In the settings of the iPad:
    * <My Apple-ID> => iCloud
    * "Speicher verwalten"... in English perhaps "Manage storage"
    * There I have found the lumin app and cleared the entry (some test playlists were stored in the iCloud)

Then I removed the app from the iPad and installed it again. In the AppStore there was not a normal install button, but still a cloud symbol to download the app from. I am not sure what this does mean. Was this a real fresh install or just a restore from a backup again?

At least: It did not help. The behaviour is still faulty very often.

What I wonder about: After reinstalling the app I did not need to log into qobuz again!? Where is the password stored? Was it in the iCloud or is it stored in the renderer (in my case in the Bubble UPnP Server)?

Have you tried the Teac or Esoteric versions yet? That should have been a clean install.

Hi Jack,

no not yet. I will install it now. The "Teac HR Streamer" is the correct app, isn't it? (At least the screenshot does look like lumin.)

That's it. I have never tried the Esoteric branded one but it should be the same. Peter and his people built all three. Appears the difference is background colors.

gbr.. from your description , you simply just downloaded the app from the cloud , so basically the same as you had before.
    You need to delete it in the iCloud also.
    And the IOS version is now 12.3.1 so i think you need to update your iPad as well.
    I might be able to look into a link in German , on how to do these things if you need it.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Nordost QB8

Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
    Tap General.
    Tap [Device] Storage.

Select the app you want to delete.
    Tap Delete app.
    Tap Delete to confirm that you want to delete the app.

Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Nordost QB8

I have tested the "Teac HR Streamer" app today for several hours. While the original lumin app did loose connection to the Bubble UPnP Server 3 or 4 times, the Teac app did not show any problems. (Both installed on the same iPad.)

I think the problem is that the connection to the Bubble Server is lost, because the playlist is displayed as empty and the qobuz tab icon is not shown any more. I still can browse my NAS data, but maybe this is just happening in the local, downloaded meta data anyway?

So I have two options: Either simply use the Teac app. Or find a way to repair the lumin app. Is there someting I could try? Maybe really removing the app completely?

FDPDK, thanks for the instructions. I did not see your posting before. I will try this and report back.

If the Teac app is working just use it and maybe the next Lumin app update will clear up the problem. Other than that try deleting the Lumin app from the iPod and Cloud again and then turn the iPod off for a while and then try a clean install and see if that helps. Also might try PM'ing Peter and get his advice directly.

I am using TEAC app now, it works perfect, just as Lumin did before they messed it up

I 2nd this: The Teac app does behave fine, but the lumin app still makes trouble. How can I contact Peter? What is his account name?

Quote Originally Posted by gbr View Post
    I 2nd this: The Teac app does behave fine, but the lumin app still makes trouble. How can I contact Peter? What is his account name?
    See reply number 5 on the 1st page of this thread

Ok, thanks!

Hello,

I have the feeling that lumin developers are sometimes reading in this forum? So I have the hope that my issue report does find the right way...

I am using the Lumin app on iOS (iPad mini 2) to control a Bubble UPnP Server. With this I can stream qobuz to an otherwise openhome not supporting streamer. But I have read in the minimserver forum that users with lumin hardware do have this issue as well IIRC.

The issue is:
    After starting the lumin app everything is working fine. But after a while of not using the iPad nor the app, if I return to the app, it does not respond to user input anymore. The only way to make it work again is to kill the app and restart it. The problem does not occur everytime, but very often (nearly everytim).

Is this an already known issue? Is there something that I could try to fix it? Do you need more information about it?

Thanks
    Gert
    Hi Gert, did you find a reliable solution to your problem?

Quote Originally Posted by skbe View Post
    Hi Gert, did you find a reliable solution to your problem?
    No, unfortunately not. I have to restart the lumin app several times each hour, depending on how often I give it some idle time.

Are you using iOS 13.2.0 - 13.2.2? Apple fixed an issue with background apps in 13.2.3. Of course there appear to be other iOS 13.2.3 issues but I wonder if that might be the problem for you.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

I always am using the latest iOS/iPadOS version. Currently 13.2.3. Since the issue occurs from about the beginning of this year it will not have to do with the iOS bug I think.

I always am using the latest iOS/iPadOS version. Currently 13.2.3. Since the issue occurs from about the beginning of this year it will not have to do with the iOS bug I think.
    Yes, this anomaly related to Bubbleupnp server openhome enabled renderers is related to an update early this year on the Lumin app. The Teac HR Streamer app and the Esoteric app which are quite the same apps than Lumin worked well for months. But 2 weeks ago, I think developpers applied the same update to these apps than the one they applied to Lumin early this year (I think it was the update correcting Qobuz behaviour when surfing on favorite albums). Result: these apps freeze too now after a while of not use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lumin App (iOS) frequently hangs; requires kill and restart