Computer Audio is Dead and Streaming has killed it - Page 4
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Computer Audio is Dead and Streaming has killed it

It would seem to me, a good way to go is to add a nice transport to your audio setup. Bryston, PS Audio, SimAudio, NAIM, etc. all make reasonably priced transports. Then, when you buy that new CD or play a favorite old one, you can enjoy it at the highest level. First look at your DAC manufacturer to see if they offer a compatible transport that may even get you SACD.

If you canít get one with SACD, not to worry, ripping is easy. If you have the right Blu-Ray player, youíre up and ripping in 15 minutes or less and all the software is free (thank you Sonore!). Iím plowing through a stack of my SACDís now with my Oppo 105-D. The latest 2x Oppoís wonít work, however, there are many $25 on eBay Blu-Ray players that will.

If you donít have a digital input, I guess you could look at a network capable transport, although, none come to mind at the moment.

Something like this would look awfully nice in the rack:

https://www.accusticarts.de/en/products/drive-ii/
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Computer Audio is Dead and Streaming has killed it

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    If you have the right Blu-Ray player, you’re up and ripping in 15 minutes or less and all the software is free (thank you Sonore!).

If you can’t get one with SACD, not to worry, ripping is easy.
    Unfortunately, this is the key. The right players are no longer sold, and there were only a couple models that could work in the first place. You happen to have one (so do I).... Sony was not very happy when Oppo made these machines. (I know there were a couple random models by other manufactures but I never heard of anyone using one to rip with.)

It does work but it is important to create the correct USB key to boot the machine off. I also find that sometimes I have to re-find my spinner on the network from the Sonore software. But to me it is worth it to put every new SACD I buy on to my server.

Your second quote cracks me up Mike. Ahhhh, to rip you would need a machine with SACD capability... the only ones that can rip can also play SACDs ....

Not sure I would consider a $12,000 spinner as reasonably priced .... Another good machine, in my view are the Marantz spinners... I thought the Marantz I had sounded slightly better than my Oppo (for $100 less).... but the Oppo had that one other function that means it will always remain in my system...
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; T+A DAC 8 DSD; T+A AMP 8; KEF R700; ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010; AudioQuest Niagara 1000; Falcon Northwest Music Server; Microsoft Surface Pro 6; Roon & HQPlayer Software; W4S Recovery; Oppo BDP-105; McIntosh MR7083; Astell&Kern AK240; Audeze LCD-i4; Burmester Car Audio System

3. Likes Mike liked this post
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Computer Audio is Dead and Streaming has killed it

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Unfortunately, this is the key. The right players are no longer sold, and there were only a couple models that could work in the first place. You happen to have one (so do I).... Sony was not very happy when Oppo made these machines. (I know there were a couple random models by other manufactures but i never heard of anyone using one to rip with.)

It does work but it is important to create the correct USB key to boot the machine off. I also find that sometimes I have to re-find my spinner on the network from the Sonore software. But to me it is worth it to put every new SACD I buy on to my server.

Your second quote cracks me up Mike. Ahhhh, to rip you would need a machine with SACD capability... the only ones that can rip can also play SACDs ....
    Below is a list of reported working/compatible with SACD ripping brands and models, hopefully there will be additional discoveries and this list can someday be revised once again, just like it was in both February 2018, and again in February 2019 with the addition of various Sony units listed below.

Sony brand compatible Blu-ray players:
    BDP-S390 (also sold as BX39 in some markets)
    BDP-S490
    BDP-S590 (also sold as BX59 in some markets)
    BDP-S4100
    BDP-S5100 (also sold as BX510 in some markets)
    BDP-S6200 * (also sold as BX620 in some markets, requires Sony ARMv7 AutoScript version developed Feb. 2019)
    BDP-S7200 * (requires Sony ARMv7 AutoScript version developed Feb. 2019)
    BDP-S790 * (requires Sony ARMv7 AutoScript version developed Feb. 2019)

Pioneer brand compatible Blu-ray players:
    BDP-80FD
    BDP-160
    BDP-170

Oppo brand compatible Blu-ray players:
    BDP-103 and 103D
    BDP-105 and 105D

Cambridge brand compatible Blu-ray players:
    Azur 752BD
    CXU

Arcam brand compatible Blu-ray & CD/SACD players:
    FMJ UDP411
    FMJ CDS27

Primare brand compatible Blu-ray player:
    BD32 MkII

Electrocompaniet brand compatible Blu-ray player:
    EMP3

Link: https://hifihaven.org/index.php?thre...y-player.3652/

A brand new ripping player has been found, the Sony BDP-S590.

Full list here:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/t...comment-940992

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

5. Likes veindoc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Randy / Mike

Iím aware of SACD ripping but never looked into it and agree getting this onto a server makes things easier and if the SACD quality is there a no brainer.

Are you saying specific Blue Ray players can be connected to a computer and with software can copy a SACD onto its drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi S with 4point 9 arm & Kuzma 40 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan DíAgostino Momentum Pre Amp and Monos | Boulder Phono 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Valhalla 2/Odin: power, interconnects & speaker | Ansuz: C2 power & interconnect | Audioquest Diamond RJ45ís
    Power: Nordost QRT series | Keces P3 & P8 | Furutech GTX D NSF package | Dedicated 20 amp with Surge Guard | ADD POWR series
    Other: HRS M3X | Stillpoints Ultra 6, SS & Mini | Nordost Sort Cones TC & BC | AQ Vox SE switch | Gigafoil v4 | Vicoustics

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    Randy / Mike

Iím aware of SACD ripping but never looked into it and agree getting this onto a server makes things easier and if the SACD quality is there a no brainer.

Are you saying specific Blue Ray players can be connected to a computer and with software can copy a SACD onto its drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes. Easy as pie. And free. Just need the right blu-Ray player - list above. With an Oppo 103/105 itís a snap.

8. Thanks UltraFast69 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the rip is identical to the SACD playback. Some people in our audio club believe it is better because unless you have one of the certain spinner/DAC combos (McIntosh, Esoteric, PS Audio, etc.) then from your server you can use your dedicated DAC which is usually much better than the one in your spinner, or at least on the level of gear that I play in. Also, a huge plus is I can then run it through HQPlayer and up-sample the rip to DSD512/48!!!

I knew about the Pioneer and Cambridge. I also thought there was one Onkyo machine.

I was not aware that Sony had machines that would work! I knew the original PS3, but if it was ever "updated" then it no longer could.

I know it has something to do with a chip on the motherboard; not 100% sure so don't quote me... and the USB key booting sets the machine up to be able to pull the files off the SACD. The Sonore package that I have can create this USB key to boot the machine. I have a dedicated key that I reserve to boot the Oppo from whenever I get a new SACD.

Then your computer running the Sonore software can access the machine across the network and rip the files. In my experience this works most of the time. The only time I have had any issue was on certain classical albums that the software could not identify. Maybe 5% of the classical discs I have tried. All others appear to work fine for me. I have ripped all of my SACD to my server and helped a few members in our audio club rip theirs for their servers.

The only machines that I have heard people using and searching out for this particular purpose are the Oppos. It is nice to know that others are out there also since the last generation Oppos (203/205) can not.
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; T+A DAC 8 DSD; T+A AMP 8; KEF R700; ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010; AudioQuest Niagara 1000; Falcon Northwest Music Server; Microsoft Surface Pro 6; Roon & HQPlayer Software; W4S Recovery; Oppo BDP-105; McIntosh MR7083; Astell&Kern AK240; Audeze LCD-i4; Burmester Car Audio System

10. Thanks UltraFast69 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Yes. Easy as pie. And free. Just need the right blu-Ray player - list above. With an Oppo 103/105 itís a snap.

So, Can these Blu-ray players rip red book CDs as well?

And, with the right software from Sonore And a digital input on your server, you can rip direct to your servers storage?
    Source: Taiko Audio Server, Cisco 2960 Switch, Gigafoil, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Luxman 300q power amp Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Duelund Speaker, Shunyata Sigma IC's Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment Vicoustic.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willco View Post
    So, Can these Blu-ray players rip red book CDs as well?

And, with the right software from Sonore And a digital input on your server, you can rip direct to your servers storage?
    No (just use a regular CD drive on your computer for that) and yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmarin View Post
    Without a doubt ďthe original quality of the recording/masteringĒ is paramount.

But the point that several of us have made in this thread about a quality CD transport being superior to a CD rip or streaming is based on comparing the same recording/mastering version on all three options as well as the same downstream system. That way the variation on the recording/mastering (as well as thebdoenstresm system) is removed and itís only the playback method response that is being compared.

I don't have any direct experience comparing cd transport to local files, so I can only defer to those who have.

But it does seem to me possible, if not likely, that the advancements that are pushing forward in server tech and network optimization will eventually eclipse the best transports.

For what it's worth, on a What's Best thread, a user has reported that the PCie storage on the Taiko Audio Extreme server is "much better" than their Metronome T8 ($17k) transport.

Just reporting info off the internet...
    Source: Taiko Audio Server, Cisco 2960 Switch, Gigafoil, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Luxman 300q power amp Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Duelund Speaker, Shunyata Sigma IC's Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment Vicoustic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willco View Post
    ...you can rip direct to your servers storage?

I assume you can, however I do not really see this as an advantage. I make multiple copies as backups so the few extra minutes not having to copy it to my server makes no difference, and I would then have to copy it back off the server.

It is a fairly time consuming process. Each disk seems to take 10-15 minutes in my experience, so copying them to the location I want on my server is fairly irrelevant.

Oh, as far as I know this is a Windows program, unless other versions have come out.

15. Likes CPP liked this post

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast