Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Your spouse or family, Whose opinion impacts your audio purchase decision?

"Happy wife, Happy Life" - I do understand that but how much does your wife/family member's opinion affect you are making an audio purchase decision? If your wife said "No" then you going to give up on your dream gear? So far never happened to me ( lucky I guess ) but how about you?
    Paul

Re: Your spouse or family, Whose opinion impacts your audio purchase decision?

I buy what I want without giving explanations to my wife or my daughters. I love them and everything I do is with respect. (they understand that I have pacion for the music)

Mine...

When my wife and I started going together 38 years ago, she let me drill holes through her carpet and hardwood floor so I could run Fulton Gold speaker cable from the entry closet she let me have as the system's electronics rack to my cobbled-together DIY speakers in her living room. (That's not why I asked her to marry me, but if you've ever seen Fulton Gold, you know how big a "give" that was.)

When a local dealer closed up shop here a few years ago, I brought home a purchased pair of his demo Paradigm bookshelf speakers and mentioned that he had a pair of demo floorstanders available. "They look like these?" my wife asked. "Same finish, same width, but taller," I replied. "How much are they?" she said. I told her. "Then I'll pay half, Jim."

She'd never call herself "audiophile", but she has a good ear and an appreciation of good music. She may shake her head (sometimes vigorously) at the way I've "decorated" the walls of our bedroom and living-dining room with acoustic panels, but she hears the difference they--and power cords, interconnect and speaker cables, and DACs--make. So you're not the only one who's been lucky.

For the rest of you who are unattached--sorry, she doesn't have a sister.
    Jim

Living Room: SOTA Saphhire, Origin Live Encounter arm, Ortofon 2M Black, Graham Slee phono stage, McIntosh MR77, Oppo BDP-83, Windows 10 laptop-->TEAC UD-501-->Conrad-Johnson Sonographe SC25--> c-jMF2500-->Paradigm SE-3, Shunyata Hydra 8 v2, GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office: Windows 10 laptop-->TEAC UD-501-->Luminous Audio Axiom II passive-->c-j Sonographe SA250-->Paradigm SE-1, Shunyata Hydra.

Bedroom: Windows 10 laptop-->TEAC UD-505-->Conrad-Johnson Premier 17LS-->Conrad-Johnson MF2500-->Paradigm Studio 20 v.5, Shyunyata Delta D6, Stillpoints & GIK acoustic panels. [On Order: Shunyata Altaira CG Hub, Alpha and Venom CGC cables]

My wife supports my audio addiction. She can't understand why I always save the boxes...we have a few throughout the house. She did take the time to call my dealer and ask what kind of cable I needed and ordered a new Transparent Ref IC and surprised me for Father's Day a couple years back. She's a keeper!!

Dave
    Speaker: Rockport Avior & Mira, B&W 803 D
    Amp: Nagra HD Monos, McIntosh Mc303 & 601
    Pre: Nagra HD pre
    Source: Esoteric K-01X & G-01, Aurender W20
    Cable: Transparent Ref Gen 5 SC & Ref XL PC
    Grounding: Tripoint Elite, Thor SE, Emperor Mkii

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Andik777 View Post
    I buy what I want without giving explanations to my wife or my daughters. I love them and everything I do is with respect. (they understand that I have pacion for the music)
    Same here. Iza Biza!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

My wife supports my audio addiction, I guess because it predates our 35 year marriage by about 10-15 years. She would never tell me not to buy something because she knows that I set my own reasonable limits on my stereo purchases. There are some pieces I'd love to own, but I'm just too cheap to part with that much money.

I discussed the purchase of my speakers and amps with my wife due to the cost. She didn't have an issue but doesn't understand how audio gear can cost do much. I had no answer for that. I can't get my head around it let alone explain it.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

the single/divorced among us are smug in knowing we don't have to play those frivolous games "You bought new cables? then I'm buying a new pair of shoes!" tit for tat nonsense. WAF? eff that

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    the single/divorced among us are smug in knowing we don't have to play those frivolous games "You bought new cables? then I'm buying a new pair of shoes!" tit for tat nonsense. WAF? eff that
    I'm glad that my wife has never displayed such nonsense and immaturity with me. When spouses begin keeping score, the marriage is doomed.

I moved my main rig into our living room years ago because I wanted to sit together while I listened to music (and now we live in an apartment and there ain't no other option). Since it goes in the living room, I try to take my wife's cosmetic issues into account. She doesn't tell me no, and I don't force anything on her that would make her uncomfortable.

I've never had an urge to own any of those big, brightly colored horn speakers anyway. Back in the day I really wanted some Duntech Sovereigns, but never bought them. I had big Magnepans for a while.

My wife is always 100% supportive of my audio addiction. She may not understand why, but she knows that this has been my joy for many years.
    She even endures 2-3 shows annually!
    Buddy

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
    Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
    Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
    MSB Reference DAC
    Innuos Statement w/Next. Gen. PS
    B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
    Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
    Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
    VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
    Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
    Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
    Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
    Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
    Shunyata Cables
    Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Ethernet Switch UEF, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments

I just have to manage my time in all sectors to keep the peace, and no questions on what I do, no matter what I do - the family has zero interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Marlene never had any issues with my audio obsessions. What she did do was nod her head in a yes gesture and say "Sure, Dan" each time I said I'm done. Quite insightful.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

A lot of this sounds familiar, the boxes, no one else in the fam having interest, and my wife generally lets me be with my purchases. My youngest daughter does come down sometimes and talks me into playing stuff she likes.

I did sort of give into my wife one time early in our marriage. We only had the one living room for my music and the TV, and the room the front door led into. I really wanted to buy a set of Electro-Voice Pro 15" 2-way monitors, well, they were pretty big. The sticking point though seemed to be the carpet veneer. Although in an attractive black, she just couldn't be convinced road carpet was an acceptable décor. So I opted for my 2nd choice which was a set of Infinity Kappa 7's.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

I tried that ONCE. I bought a pair of Kef speakers, didn't tell the wife, she went out and bought a Lexus. I now tell her everything I buy after all we are both retired so large purchases are an impact to the old retirement funds and daily living,.
    Now she is really into my classic car hobby and photography and kayaking which she participates in, but audio, she has no real interest at all. It's in the best interest to just discus any large purchase, that makes life so much easier.. The kids are all grown up and have their own life.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

We have a good life, and we will be good through retirement (assuming the world doesn't turn upside down) but big expenditures take a little working on my part and then my sweet wife eventually gives the go ahead. She’s been a commercial banker for 30+ years and I respect her sensibilities. The big expenses like speakers are where it takes a little work on my part, as in a full edit of the backyard landscape. Then she compares what we’ve saved vs. hiring that shit out and the new Diesis Roma speakers will be mine! Bwahaha, bwahaha!!! (I always have a plan.)

None, my room, my gear and with that being said my wife thinks we are all nuts. Having met quite a few audiofools over the years I'd say she is correct .............
    Cheers ! …. Dave

As with a bunch of folks here (good to hear), my wife supports this obsession 100%. Actually, she instigates purchases at times and has better ears than mine. The last fact is particularly helpful when seeking out an opinion on a potential new item from someone I trust. I found out long ago that if I involve her with everything and get here excited about the hobby, she not only allows this disease, but also feeds and promotes it.

No drama. No quid pro quo. No BS. Just total support. While she will comment on the aesthetics of an item at times, that has never stopped her from supporting a purchase.

As for prices for some of this stuff, we both shake our heads at times.

I could not ask for anything else from her and am very much appreciative of her unwavering support.
    Front End: MSB Select II DAC, MSB Reference Transport, Magnum Dynalab MD107T, Aiwa AD-F990
    Amplification: Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamplifier & Momentum M400 MxV Monoblocks, Crown XLS 2502 (x3) (subwoofers)
    Speakers: Scaena La Maitresse Ultime Loudspeaker System
    Cables: Shunyata Aeros Aurora-SP, Shunyata Aeros Aurora-IC, Jungson Golden Dragon
    Power: GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+, GigaWatt LS-2HCEVO, Jungson Pure Power, JPS Labs AC+, Transparent HPPC
    Miscellaneous: ​Bohmer/Legacy Audio Wavelet DSP/Room Correction

My wonderful Cheryal always says that I can do what I want with my system because she knows it is important to me. She also knows that I am very conscious of making sure that we can afford something and in the big picture will not "hurt" us.

She also knows that whenever she mentions she wants something I immediately try to figure out how to get it for her. New sewing machine sure hunni... etc... Lets stop and look at that car I saw the other day... (Thx hunni as she is driving home her new Benz... yes that actually happened). She wanted a new computer I ordered new Falcon's the next day...

However, I also respect and appreciate her and her opinions. She does not understand how audio gear costs so much (neither do I, I think it is ridiculous and completely without any reasonable explanation), and does not understand how I can "sit" and listen, etc., but she understands it is important to me. With all of that said I would never purchase an expensive piece without speaking to her. We are partners and we do not keep these types of things from each other. And yes there are times she might say, oh hunni, I bought this or that yesterday... but if it was a big items we always discuss it first...

In my view, that is the way it should be. It is called respect and appreciation of each other, their likes and desires, etc.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

My wife lets me do my thing no questions asked. (And if she does ask, I lie about the prices LOL.)
    She totally digs the system and has had friends over before and presented how awesome it is to them.
    Aurender > Weiss > Audio Research > SoundField
    Oppo > Lexicon > Hegel > SoundField

My wife is more obsessed than I am with audio gear. I am the one that tries to keep purchases slightly in check. She does have better hearing than I do.
    Paul

Main Stereo System:

Harbeth 40.3 HD, Jay's CDT3 MK3, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Aurender N20, Luxman M900 & C900 , (2) JL f113, Shunyata Denali 6000v2 Power Conditioner, Altaira, AZ Cables, Stillpoints & Symposium shelves under everything.

Theater System:
    JVC RS400 projector, 130" Stewart screen, Oppo 105D, Audio Physic Classic speakers, REL 3D subs, MC8207 MX136, Synergistic Research Powercell, AZ interconnects, speaker cables and PC's.

Thanks for all the posts. My wife knows the price but I always tell her with one “zero” out on the price. Luckily she’s not internet savvy. Your spouse or family, Whose opinion impacts your audio purchase decision?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Thanks for all the posts. My wife knows the price but I always tell her with one “zero” out on the price. Luckily she’s not internet savvy. Your spouse or family, Whose opinion impacts your audio purchase decision?

what’s her email address

This reminds me of the story of the guy who is going out to a bar to shoot pool with his buddies. Before he leaves home he is showering his wife with sweetness, calling her snookums, tells her how much he loves her and that he will be home by 11:00 PM. When he arrives at the bar, one of his buddies asks him what time he told his wife he would be home. His reply? "I told that bitch I'll be home when I get home!"
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

My wife supports my audio addiction and even bought me my first pair of Magnepans for my birthday. But lately she has been complaining of having door panel speakers in the family room. She would also like me to down size my electronics to an integrated amp. I can't blame her after putting up with this for 30 years.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Wife, somewhat, $$. But, she has always been cool and enjoys our system. The one area that's been an issue, sort of, is the latest addition of acoustic panels... I might have pushed her over the edge...
    Focal Sopra 2, MC452, C2300, MCD1100, MT2 w/Hana SL, HRS, Bel Canto Stream, Schiit Yggy, AQ Niagara 5000 w/Hurricanes, WW Silver 7’s.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    This reminds me of the story of the guy who is going out to a bar to shoot pool with his buddies. Before he leaves home he is showering his wife with sweetness, calling her snookums, tells her how much he loves her and that he will be home by 11:00 PM. When he arrives at the bar, one of his buddies asks him what time he told his wife he would be home. His reply? "I told that bitch I'll be home when I get home!"

Very good joke what I do not like is that you treat me as a liar. I clarify that they will not give any medal to the males. ) Regards

Very good joke what I do not like is that you treat me as a liar. I clarify that they will not give any medal to the males. ) Regards
    You took it the wrong way, sorry. It was a joke.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    You took it the wrong way, sorry. It was a joke.

No, I did not take it badly, I understood the joke perfectly, I just put a little pepper It's really all right.

Yes you can, she should be used to it by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    My wife supports my audio addiction and even bought me my first pair of Magnepans for my birthday. But lately she has been complaining of having door panel speakers in the family room. She would also like me to down size my electronics to an integrated amp. I can't blame her after putting up with this for 30 years.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

After 28 years together, I know the boundaries I can push and the ones I can't. We both really enjoy music, and there is a stereo in every room of the house. When it comes to "my stereo room", the only thing that limits me is her favorite saying "You know what you can afford".... She is too dang smart
    Main System:
    Speakers: Magico S3 MK1 | Amp: Boulder 1160 | Pre-Amp: Ref10 | Digital: DCS Vivaldi 3/4 stack & esoteric K07x | Phono-Pre: ARC Ref 2se | Phono: AMG Viella w\ 12JT & Benz LPS cart.

Living Room:
    Speakers: KEF LS50 | Amp: Primaluna Prologue Premium | Digital: Lumin D2

I had to get rid of my martin logan summit x in our lounge after 4 years due to my lovely wife`s objections . She means a great deal to me than my Hi fi so every set of speakers is run past her now first . I might add that she let me have a BIG set of horns in another room as a consolation. A good woman is hard to find so it pays to look after her !!!
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

A large part of my hifi/audio journey were paved with half truth, be kind to myself by not using the word "lies" (like less a zero, used but mint, greatest bargain ever and the last a statement: Retirement System). Search my heart and soul and I do know I lived in fear that one day the real cost of what I had bought (system, vinyl, Cd's and whatever related to music) would bring me endless arguments, lectures and nagging which I honestly detest, hated or simply get me into bonkers.
    Until TODAY, where I last had an Op (in early May and rested for a month at home) and also finally, I opened up about my past to my wife before going into the theatre. Somehow, being truthful, honest did brought a fresh start in my life. Now I can openly buy whatever I want (within "reasonable" reason and costs - of course after an open discussion on the why and how come I needed the change) and more importantly, for the first time, my better half sits in my small room listening to what I was all the time trying to enjoy (without nit picking) but discuss about the music performance.
    Sympathy, love or whatever that caused this change in relationship ... I do know my new journey would be that more fruitful, enjoyable and for once, I can be as HONEST as I can about this hobby of mine.
    I share this with all of you cause I realised how living to what I wanted openly and honestly, is so much fun than living in fear and always trying to have a good memory of what I had said about what I bought (I always threw away the actual receipts even before I came home - and yes, the credit card statements too, where now these days its digital, so its that much better).
    I guess we all love our lives (and love our hobbies) and also have that BIG RESPECT for our wives in that we do not want to anger them with the way we would spend money (sometimes ridiculous amount and then changed the gear after a few months) and hence the way we would behave - if I did say something wrong here, please accept my apologies.
    For sure, I am very happy in being able to enjoy the music without the feared "distortion & noise".............. more so, with my wife. Cant say that for children cause they all have their own hobbies (and probable stories they told me and my wife about what they bought, Ha Ha). Cheers!

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Your spouse or family, Whose opinion impacts your audio purchase decision?