"Pressurizing" the room -- or not
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Boston, MA USA
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like

    "Pressurizing" the room -- or not

    Our living room is part of a somewhat open floorplan townhouse and there are openings into adjacent areas on either side of the wall against which my listening couch backs up to. These openings are about 8 feet wide, on each side of that rear wall, and mean that the room cannot really be "pressurized" by loudspeakers.

    What this precisely means for speaker setup, etc., is what I'm asking. I sent photos to Jim Smith (Get Better Sound) and his immediate comment was that this room topology limits what I can do and in turn what he can do. He thought that having him spend significant time would not be fruitful for this reason alone.

    I'm sure that this isn't rare, especially as more open floorplan designs started becoming popular at least here in the States quite a while ago.

    Any comments or suggestions? My A3's sound pretty darn good, and I'm happy sitting in the room and listening. But I know that all things being equal, a room that can be 'sealed' has advantages - apparently!
    Naim 252/SCDR/300DR pre and power amplification
    Naim ND555/555PS streamer/player
    Naim SuperLumina cables and interconnects
    Rega RP-8 | Apheta 2 | Aria
    Magico A3

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Pressurizing" the room -- or not

    A picture is worth a thousand words. You might want to upload a picture and folks may be able to provide ideas.
    A couple of thoughts:
    -you might be able to build sliding panels that may be concealed into the existing back wall. You would 'close'/slide the panels when doing critical listening.
    -digital room correction. In my experience, digital room correction can make a huge difference particularly in rooms that are compromised. Much more cost efficient than many tweaks (e.g., cables)

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Boston, MA USA
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Pressurizing" the room -- or not

    Modifying the room (adding doors or their equivalent) isn't an option for us, but I can see how that idea could occur! I'm definitely not going down the dsp-based room correction rabbit hole either, for various reasons . . . including the somewhat 'flat earth' approach of Naim. Not that that's good, bad, indifferent; just an excuse not to get started with it on my end!!

    I was just wondering how much of a "thing" this is -- pressurizing the room, or not.
    Naim 252/SCDR/300DR pre and power amplification
    Naim ND555/555PS streamer/player
    Naim SuperLumina cables and interconnects
    Rega RP-8 | Apheta 2 | Aria
    Magico A3

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    98
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Pressurizing" the room -- or not

    I listened to music in a open space area for quite some time before my wife finally "encouraged" a 2015 addition that included a space for a closed media room. I tried a number of "acoustic" improvements in the open area which helped. But ultimately acoustic treatment was not cost effective.

    My media room was acoustically designed and treated as part of the building plan. The improvement was all I had hoped for, especially imaging and clarity. But the bass didn't substantially improve until I decided recently to add a subwoofer and crossover. I'm currently listening in a room that bares little resemblance to where I was listening before. But this was a huge undertaking I could only justify because of the amount of time I spend listening to music.

    If you can manage a dedicated listening room and spend lots of time really listening to music, I urge you to do it. It's definitely worth the hassle and expense. But I had years of music enjoyment in a open space area.
    ________________________________
    Len
    Acoustic Frontiers Design, Raidho D3, JL Audio F212v2, JL Audio CR-1, JRDG Corus & 625s2, EMM Labs XDS1v2; JVC R66, Solidtech ROS; Nordost & Ansuz cabling, power, & resonance control products; Ultrasonic shelving.
    http://systems.audiogon.com/systems/5013

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    606
    Post Thanks / Like

    "Pressurizing" the room -- or not

    Just in case that you are not aware, it is possible to apply digital room correction even if your DAC or preamp does not have that feature. For example, I use Roon to apply room correction filters and then send the adjusted signal to my digital preamp for digital to analog decoding. Done properly and judiciously, room correction can do wonders. And given your irregular room situation, even more reason to seriously consider it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Pressurizing" the room -- or not

    Quote Originally Posted by Bart001 View Post
    Our living room is part of a somewhat open floorplan townhouse and there are openings into adjacent areas on either side of the wall against which my listening couch backs up to. These openings are about 8 feet wide, on each side of that rear wall, and mean that the room cannot really be "pressurized" by loudspeakers.

    What this precisely means for speaker setup, etc., is what I'm asking. I sent photos to Jim Smith (Get Better Sound) and his immediate comment was that this room topology limits what I can do and in turn what he can do. He thought that having him spend significant time would not be fruitful for this reason alone.

    I'm sure that this isn't rare, especially as more open floorplan designs started becoming popular at least here in the States quite a while ago.

    Any comments or suggestions? My A3's sound pretty darn good, and I'm happy sitting in the room and listening. But I know that all things being equal, a room that can be 'sealed' has advantages - apparently!
    It’s important IMO and IME. Adding subs would mitigate your issue significantly, if not all.

    Dual Magico Asub’s would be ideal for your A3s.

  7. #7
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    24,855
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Pressurizing" the room -- or not

    Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    It’s important IMO and IME. Adding subs would mitigate your issue significantly, if not all.

    Dual Magico Asub’s would be ideal for your A3s.
    Agreed 100%


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Boston, MA USA
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Pressurizing" the room -- or not

    Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    It’s important IMO and IME. Adding subs would mitigate your issue significantly, if not all.

    Dual Magico Asub’s would be ideal for your A3s.
    Interesting. If/when my dealer get's one/two in, I'll borrow them. Honestly, at least coming from my Devore Nines (and having used a JL sub with them for much of the time), I'm pretty happy with the bass from the A3's. But I know that subs do more than just "thump bass."
    Naim 252/SCDR/300DR pre and power amplification
    Naim ND555/555PS streamer/player
    Naim SuperLumina cables and interconnects
    Rega RP-8 | Apheta 2 | Aria
    Magico A3

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Boston, MA USA
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Pressurizing" the room -- or not

    Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    Just in case that you are not aware, it is possible to apply digital room correction even if your DAC or preamp does not have that feature. For example, I use Roon to apply room correction filters and then send the adjusted signal to my digital preamp for digital to analog decoding. Done properly and judiciously, room correction can do wonders. And given your irregular room situation, even more reason to seriously consider it.
    I use Roon, and it runs on a Roon Nucleus, and so I COULD at least try room correction with it. No reason not to just try and see (hear) what it does. Thanks for that reminder/suggestion.
    Naim 252/SCDR/300DR pre and power amplification
    Naim ND555/555PS streamer/player
    Naim SuperLumina cables and interconnects
    Rega RP-8 | Apheta 2 | Aria
    Magico A3

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Auburn, Washington USA
    Posts
    154
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Pressurizing" the room -- or not

    Using twin Magico A-subs would look great with your A3s and system. And pressurizing your room and using some room correction sounds like good advice.

    I think I'd look at this option/comparison

    A sub

    10" driver-18"x17".6"x14.5" box-108lbs-500watts-20-120Hz-$6500x2=$13,000 and of course the dreaded Magico wait period.

    SVS SB-3000

    13" driver-15.6"x15.2"x17.8" box-54.5lbs-800watts-18-270Hz-$999x2=$1999 (actually less if bought in pairs) free shipping and …..no waiting. SVS also has a wireless adapter for 119.99 and a phone app
    Speakers: Magico A3 with Cardas Clear Cygnus speaker cables
    Amp: Bryston 4BSST, Cardas Clear Cygnus power cable
    Preamp: NAD M12 Cardas Clear Cygnus power cable, XLR interconnect
    Lunin T2 Cardas Cat7 Ethernet cable Cardas Clear Cygnus power cable
    Keces P3 powering GigaFoilv4,Modem Supra Cat8 Ethernet cables
    CD/DVD: Oppo 205 Cardas Clear Cygnus power cable, XLR interconnect
    Subs: SVS SB1000 x 2 AudioQuest NRG-Y2 power cable
    HTPC/Streamer: Windows 10pro HTPC//Tital/Qobuz/JRivers via Roon Core USB/HDMI/iPad Pro
    Power Conditioner: Monster HTS5000,VanEvers model 85 Reference line cleaner, AudioQuest Niagra 1000 line conditioner

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast