Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Magico M2 vs M3

Magico M2 vs M3

I heard the M2 and was very impressed by it but I wonder about the M3. At least one listener heard both and actually felt the M2 was the superior speaker!

"I used M Project before but changed to M6 for over a year.

I have heard S7 and M3 in a few occasions, such as in dealer showroom and in HiFi Show. M3 is much more refined and has higher resolution. Don’t be fouled by its relatively small cabinet size. It has a very big sound and very strong bass.

Also just heard M2 in Munich Hiend Show in two rooms. M2 is actually better than M3, it has all the advantages of M3 but has a warmer sound. The resolution is even higher. Until you have a fairly large room, such as over 800 sq ft, M2 is the speaker of choice.

M2 uses carbon fibre monocoque cabinet, while M3 is more traditional aluminium. This is exactly the same difference for M6 and M Project.

M6 has a warmer sound and more detailed presentation than M Project. This difference goes to M2 vs M3 as well."
    Has anyone here heard both? What do you think ?

Audioshark

Magico M2 vs M3

Quote Originally Posted by smodtactical View Post
    I heard the M2 and was very impressed by it but I wonder about the M3. At least one listener heard both and actually felt the M2 was the superior speaker!

Has anyone here heard both? What do you think ?
    I have both in the store. It’s common to think the new one is superior. It’s great, but the M3 plays bigger, plays louder, plays in a bigger room and has a more “weighty” sound. The M2 does a better disappearing act and is easier to move around and its size is more “manageable”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Magico M2 vs M3

M3 cabinet

M2 cabinet

Audioshark

Magico M2 vs M3

The M2 cabinet will get the same internal bracing and midrange cone compartment as the M3 in finishing.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I have both in the store. It’s common to think the new one is superior. It’s great, but the M3 plays bigger, plays louder, plays in a bigger room and has a more “weighty” sound. The M2 does a better disappearing act and is easier to move around and its size is more “manageable”.

This is super helpful Mike. I know that we've talked a bit about moving me into an M2 or M3 (now if only the money would magically appear).

I wanted to point out that this is really reassuring as a Magico customer, overall. Just because the speaker is newer doesn't mean that someone who ordered an M3 the day before the M2 is announced should feel like they screwed up. Too many brands release models with incremental changes that leave older customers hanging out to dry. I'm glad to see Magico making amazing speakers and pushing the envelope while still giving buyers piece of mind about the quality of their purchase. Point being, if you made an amazing speaker last year and an amazing speaker this year, the older one should not sound "broken".

The M2 cabinet will get the same internal bracing and midrange cone compartment as the M3 in finishing.

So that internal metal framework/grid is also in the M2?

Apparently the carbon fiber is made by Apex composites in Canada who do carbon fiber for F1 race cars.

Audioshark

So that internal metal framework/grid is also in the M2?

Apparently the carbon fiber is made by Apex composites in Canada who do carbon fiber for F1 race cars.

Magico M2

So I had a chat with my local magico dealer. He said that actually the M2 is a more advanced speaker than the M3 because of the speaker design. The M3 would mainly be for people with big spaces that like to play loud. M2 is more versatile and even in a big space does well especially with subs. The big thing is he said its easier to manage being under 200 lbs so no one or no speaker gets hurt during installation.

Audioshark

So I had a chat with my local magico dealer. He said that actually the M2 is a more advanced speaker than the M3 because of the speaker design. The M3 would mainly be for people with big spaces that like to play loud. M2 is more versatile and even in a big space does well especially with subs. The big thing is he said its easier to manage being under 200 lbs so no one or no speaker gets hurt during installation.
    Does your dealer have both? Magico M2 vs M3

I do.

He said that actually the M2 is a more advanced speaker than the M3 because of the speaker design.
    He may be referring specifically to the carbon fiber monocoque enclosure, which is only found in the M2 and M6. The M3 has carbon fiber side panels but the main enclosure structure is the aluminum frame. Magico's own description of the enclosure differences leans towards the monocoque design as superior.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by NekoAudio View Post
    He may be referring specifically to the carbon fiber monocoque enclosure, which is only found in the M2 and M6. The M3 has carbon fiber side panels but the main enclosure structure is the aluminum frame. Magico's own description of the enclosure differences leans towards the monocoque design as superior.
    It’s definitely a benefit, but the bigger cabinet size and extra driver or the M3 really gives it a weightier sound and fills a bigger room.

It’s definitely a benefit, but the bigger cabinet size and extra driver or the M3 really gives it a weightier sound and fills a bigger room.
    Absolutely. The enclosure design is only one of the aspects to take into consideration.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

Does your dealer have both? Magico M2 vs M3

I do.

Only m2. But he seems pretty familiar with m3.

Hello,

I'm considering a pair of M2.

I own a Naim 500DR series system.

After seeing the impedance curve of the Magico M2, I believe the NAP 500 DR won't be sufficient and won't be able to drive those speakers properly.

Has anyone tried driving those speakers with such a system?

Cheers

I am using a Naim 500 system on my M2s - and no problem at all. Sounds great at any volume.

You won't have any problems.

I did use a NAP 250 for a while and it definitely gave out at high volumes. But worked great at normal loud volumes. Yes - I tend to play loud!
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    I am using a Naim 500 system on my M2s - and no problem at all. Sounds great at any volume.

I did use a NAP 250 for a while and it definitely gave out at high volumes. But worked great at normal loud volumes. Yes - I tend to play loud!

The reason I'm asking about how well the NAP 500 DR is able to drive those speakers refers to a recent HiFi Critic review.

Unfortunately, I can't post the URL, but the review is the first link if you google for "HifiCritic magico m2"

The Test Results on page 12 seem to suggest that the NAP 500 DR struggles to drive the M2s at louder volumes.

And graphs presented show that the Magico M2 has a really bumpy impedance curve, which tend to confirm they need a lot of current at certain frequencies

Super Moderator
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

How does one replace tweeters if you blow one on a M2/3/6/9 ?

It has been mentioned on other forum that you must send back to Magico, which must be incorrect surely?
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

I had drivers replaced locally in S3, but as far as I know M's have to go back to the factory.
    Speakers: Magico M3, ACC, S-SUB | Electronics: Esoteric Grandioso stack | Amplification: Halcro |
    Analog cables: Crystal Cable | Digital cables: Shunyata Sigma | Rack: YG Acoustics Rack 1.8
    | Source: Kaleidescape Premiere (4 x 6TB) | Power: Shunyata Typhon-QR, Everest and Denali

When he says "...we remain some distance from the creation of a fully convincing sense of reality generated by a sound reproducing system" I disagree with him. Last night I was thoroughly immersed in a convincing sense of reality.
    Speakers: Magico M3, ACC, S-SUB | Electronics: Esoteric Grandioso stack | Amplification: Halcro |
    Analog cables: Crystal Cable | Digital cables: Shunyata Sigma | Rack: YG Acoustics Rack 1.8
    | Source: Kaleidescape Premiere (4 x 6TB) | Power: Shunyata Typhon-QR, Everest and Denali

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post

Here the commets I was referring to:

« Test results

See table and graphs (multiple responses, energy decay, impedance)

Sensitivity is moderate, about average at 87.3dB per 8 ohm watt, the usual test input, a
    little shy of the 88dB specification, although this is a low impedance, four ohm rated design which momentarily grazes the 2.5ohm resistive minimum on the impedance measurement graph, and also hovers at around 4 ohms were the reactive component of phase angle is some 60 degrees, considered to be similarly taxing. The overall rated load would be quoted closer to 3 ohms if we were to be pedantic.

Decently rated, powerful, load-capable amplifiers of top quality are to be preferred if you are going to hear just what these remarkable transducers are capable of, and neither should one neglect the importance of the loudspeaker cables: suitable sound quality options for both amplifier and loudspeaker cable will benefit from careful exploration. The Naim NAP 500DR was excellent on quality grounds but was not quite powerful enough in my room for the M2, though ironically it will drive the similarly sensitive, but higher maximum output Magico S5II well enough in this space.

[...] »

Quote Originally Posted by Thoms View Post
    Here the commets I was referring to:

« Test results

See table and graphs (multiple responses, energy decay, impedance)

Sensitivity is moderate, about average at 87.3dB per 8 ohm watt, the usual test input, a
    little shy of the 88dB specification, although this is a low impedance, four ohm rated design which momentarily grazes the 2.5ohm resistive minimum on the impedance measurement graph, and also hovers at around 4 ohms were the reactive component of phase angle is some 60 degrees, considered to be similarly taxing. The overall rated load would be quoted closer to 3 ohms if we were to be pedantic.

Decently rated, powerful, load-capable amplifiers of top quality are to be preferred if you are going to hear just what these remarkable transducers are capable of, and neither should one neglect the importance of the loudspeaker cables: suitable sound quality options for both amplifier and loudspeaker cable will benefit from careful exploration. The Naim NAP 500DR was excellent on quality grounds but was not quite powerful enough in my room for the M2, though ironically it will drive the similarly sensitive, but higher maximum output Magico S5II well enough in this space.

[...] »
    Maybe the reviewer has a very large listening room and listens at extremely high volume levels. What is the size of your listening room and volume preference? This could be a limitation of the M2’s more than the Naim 500. I seem to remember Mike commenting that the M3’s filled a large room with sound more effectively than the M2’s. Of course we’re talking in extremes here.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    I had drivers replaced locally in S3, but as far as I know M's have to go back to the factory.
    That is crazy, as tweeters blow for many reasons.

To send the entire speakers back from Australia would be ridiculous. Look after those M3's and don't play them too loud.
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

It is easy to get drivers out of S speakers, just undo six fasteners and pull off the crimp terminal. It's not even soldered. A 2 minute job. Not so with M. The whole face plate needs to be removed to get access to the drivers. But I can't think of a reason why it can't be done locally if need be.

I have heard each at Axpona, Dealer Stores, and friends homes. Every time I’ve come away with the conclusion that I prefer the M3. I currently have S3’s, and the M2’s would be a better size for my listening space, however I just connect with the M3’s.
    Main System:
    Speakers: Magico S3 MK1 | Amp: Boulder 1160 | Pre-Amp: Ref10 | Digital: DCS Vivaldi 3/4 stack & esoteric K07x | Phono-Pre: ARC Ref 2se | Phono: AMG Viella w\ 12JT & Benz LPS cart.

Living Room:
    Speakers: KEF LS50 | Amp: Primaluna Prologue Premium | Digital: Lumin D2

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    How does one replace tweeters if you blow one on a M2/3/6/9 ?

It has been mentioned on other forum that you must send back to Magico, which must be incorrect surely?
    It’s not that difficult, any competent dealer/technician can do that, and if you can use an allen wrench and a soldering iron, you can do it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by LVB View Post
    It’s not that difficult, any competent dealer/technician can do that, and if you can use an allen wrench and a soldering iron, you can do it yourself.
    You have no idea what u are talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsrule View Post
    You have no idea what u are talking about
    I spent a day with an owner and his dealer replacing a blown tweeter. It was not for the faint of heart. Moving the front baffle out far enough to have room to install the new tweeter was time consuming and perhaps the most difficult challenge of the job. Then one must make sure the isodamp gasket is properly placed before drawing the baffle back to the main cabinet and tightening the tension rods.

I am also aware of a dealer not making this repair properly. After the repair, I heard the speakers and noticed an issue. Upon inspection, that Isodamp gasket had not been installed properly. There was air pressure being released during play out from one of the front seams of the cabinet. The owner and/or Magico decided to send it back to the factory for a full inspection and proper repair.

I agree that it is not as easy as it would appear, but it can be done in the field by a qualified dealer.
    Link to my system thread: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...l-sound.32867/
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Electronics: Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe, Lamm LL1.1 Signature, Lamm ML2
    Speakers: Vitavox CN-191 corner horns
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I spent a day with an owner and his dealer replacing a blown tweeter. It was not for the faint of heart. Moving the front baffle out far enough to have room to install the new tweeter was time consuming and perhaps the most difficult challenge of the job. Then one must make sure the isodamp gasket is properly placed before drawing the baffle back to the main cabinet and tightening the tension rods.

I am also aware of a dealer not making this repair properly. After the repair, I heard the speakers and noticed an issue. Upon inspection, that Isodamp gasket had not been installed properly. There was air pressure being released during play out from one of the front seams of the cabinet. The owner and/or Magico decided to send it back to the factory for a full inspection and proper repair.

I agree that it is not as easy as it would appear, but it can be done in the field by a qualified dealer.
    This is exactly what I was referring to. It is not an easy repair....

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsrule View Post
    This is exactly what I was referring to. It is not an easy repair....
    I replaced a tweeter on a Q3 alone (got a good set of instructions from Magico). True, it is not as straightforward as a front mounting tweeter, but it should not require a factory visit.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Magico M2 vs M3