Mullard PM202 tube - is it as good as a 300B?
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Post Thanks / Like

Mullard PM202 tube - is it as good as a 300B?

If I use a Mullard PM202 tube instead of a 300B - is it feasible - and is there a downside? Thank you in anticipation.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mullard PM202 tube - is it as good as a 300B?

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_pm202.html

I don’t know but it looks like a different or not compatible tube.
    Joe

Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2 preamp, NuForce STA200, Accuphase E-650, Misho Myronov Wooden Amp and Wooden preamp, AkitikA GT-102 power amplifier, Valvet E2se, Avantgarde Duo XD, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job INTegrated, Job 250 Monos, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Naim Supernait 2 w/ HiCap-DR, Lumin U1 mini, McIntosh MCLK12, Conrad Johnson GAT2.

3. Thanks Tenezledroit thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the Mullard CV185 the same, effectively, as the PM202? I can see these offered as old stock - the ad says:British Mullard Mullard CV185 Direct Thermal Triode 300B Push Tube

Are they not being truthful as an alterantive to the 300b?? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Joe - sorry to bother you - can you help me with the following please?

Is the Mullard CV185 the same, effectively, as the PM202? I can see these offered as old stock - the ad says:British Mullard Mullard CV185 Direct Thermal Triode 300B Push Tube

Are they not being truthful as an alterantive to the 300b?? Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I’m so sorry but my tube knowledge is very limited. I only know the basics of some of the most popular tubes.

I hope you can contact some of the major tube sellers and ask for their help.

I honestly don’t know enough to give you a proper answer. I don’t ever remember seeing that there ever was a suitable replacement for 300B tubes.
    Joe

Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2 preamp, NuForce STA200, Accuphase E-650, Misho Myronov Wooden Amp and Wooden preamp, AkitikA GT-102 power amplifier, Valvet E2se, Avantgarde Duo XD, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job INTegrated, Job 250 Monos, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Naim Supernait 2 w/ HiCap-DR, Lumin U1 mini, McIntosh MCLK12, Conrad Johnson GAT2.

Post Thanks / Like

The PM202 and CV185 are basically the same tube and are interchangeable.
    They have a 2 volt filament and were designed for usage with batteries.
    The 300B has a 5 volt filament.
    Those tubes (pm202/cv185) will not work in place of a 300b.
    Besides the filament voltage differences there are many other specifications that are not compatible.
    My System:
    A trusty old Pioneer PD-65 as a Transport, Lumin A-1, a Merrill Heirloom T.T. as sources. A Lampizator DAC to PAD Cables to a SP-14 Tubed PreAmp, Pass XA30.5 , Fusion speaker cables, AudioKinesis Zephryn 46 Speakers. pair Rythmik F-12 subs, EP2050, Kaplan Power cables, Hydra power conditioner, Two dedicated 20Amp power lines. DIY corner traps and Acoustic Geometry Curves for room treatment.

8. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks, Joe! I presently live in China - and am taking the opportunities presented... So many tube amps here - and so many sellers of NOS tubes. Sadly, I know little about specs. other than I see NOS 300b in a description - and am immediately tempted. Best wishes and thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks! You saved me a few dollars! Best wishes.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

We are happy to help. I am glad we saved you from making a few mistakes. There’s so much that I need to learn that it seems overwhelming.
    Joe