Mullard PM202 tube - is it as good as a 300B?
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Post Thanks / Like

Mullard PM202 tube - is it as good as a 300B?

If I use a Mullard PM202 tube instead of a 300B - is it feasible - and is there a downside? Thank you in anticipation.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mullard PM202 tube - is it as good as a 300B?

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_pm202.html

I don’t know but it looks like a different or not compatible tube.
    Joe

Misho Myronov Wooden Amp and Wooden preamp, AkitikA GT-102 power amplifier, Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job INTegrated, Job 250 Monos, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, McIntosh MCLK12, Conrad Johnson GAT2.

3. Thanks Tenezledroit thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the Mullard CV185 the same, effectively, as the PM202? I can see these offered as old stock - the ad says:British Mullard Mullard CV185 Direct Thermal Triode 300B Push Tube

Are they not being truthful as an alterantive to the 300b?? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Joe - sorry to bother you - can you help me with the following please?

Is the Mullard CV185 the same, effectively, as the PM202? I can see these offered as old stock - the ad says:British Mullard Mullard CV185 Direct Thermal Triode 300B Push Tube

Are they not being truthful as an alterantive to the 300b?? Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I’m so sorry but my tube knowledge is very limited. I only know the basics of some of the most popular tubes.

I hope you can contact some of the major tube sellers and ask for their help.

I honestly don’t know enough to give you a proper answer. I don’t ever remember seeing that there ever was a suitable replacement for 300B tubes.
    Joe

Misho Myronov Wooden Amp and Wooden preamp, AkitikA GT-102 power amplifier, Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job INTegrated, Job 250 Monos, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, McIntosh MCLK12, Conrad Johnson GAT2.

Post Thanks / Like

The PM202 and CV185 are basically the same tube and are interchangeable.
    They have a 2 volt filament and were designed for usage with batteries.
    The 300B has a 5 volt filament.
    Those tubes (pm202/cv185) will not work in place of a 300b.
    Besides the filament voltage differences there are many other specifications that are not compatible.
    My System:
    A trusty old Pioneer PD-65 as a Transport, Lumin A-1, a Merrill Heirloom T.T. as sources. A Lampizator DAC to PAD Cables to a SP-14 Tubed PreAmp, Pass XA30.5 , Fusion speaker cables, AudioKinesis Zephryn 46 Speakers. pair Rythmik F-12 subs, EP2050, Kaplan Power cables, Hydra power conditioner, Two dedicated 20Amp power lines. DIY corner traps and Acoustic Geometry Curves for room treatment.

8. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks, Joe! I presently live in China - and am taking the opportunities presented... So many tube amps here - and so many sellers of NOS tubes. Sadly, I know little about specs. other than I see NOS 300b in a description - and am immediately tempted. Best wishes and thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks! You saved me a few dollars! Best wishes.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

We are happy to help. I am glad we saved you from making a few mistakes. There’s so much that I need to learn that it seems overwhelming.
    Joe