Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Luxman SQ N150, Luxman MQ 88uC, Luxman MQ 300, Luxman LX 380, Luxman CL 38uC...

Anyone familiar with these Luxman amps? I've read nothing about them on this or any other forum, although I'm relatively new to high end audio. Maybe they're more well known than I realize? Seems like the newer, more "modern" designs get most of the attention. They sure a have a cool, old school look. Wonder if they sound as good as they look? Mike, can you (or anyone else) tell us about these Luxman amps?

Re: Luxman SQ N150, Luxman MQ 88uC, Luxman MQ 300, Luxman LX 380, Luxman CL 38uC...

Anyone?

Super Moderator

Re: Luxman SQ N150, Luxman MQ 88uC, Luxman MQ 300, Luxman LX 380, Luxman CL 38uC...

I have the MQ-300 and it is superb. Wonderful sweet 300B sounds with Takatsuki tubes. It has air, and 3D with big sound stage. Feels pretty ballsy for 8 wpc. It's on the warmer side of neutral. It's an amp I can listen to all day/night long.

I even played it on my JBL 4367 when I had them. OMG! That was really great. It went plenty loud for me, but I did not push it on those speakers.
    Last edited by joeinid; June 14, 2019 at 08:16 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thanks, Joe. Is it class A?

Super Moderator

http://luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=17

I don't really know, but Mike can find out.
    Last edited by joeinid; June 14, 2019 at 10:06 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

That Luxman amp uses a single 300B output tube per channel, so it's inherently single ended Class A!

Super Moderator

Ah, makes perfect sense. Thanks!

All I know is that it sounds absolutely wonderful.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I'm in love with that amp. Such cool old school looks. I'll bet it sounds killer too. Might require some pretty high efficiency speakers.

Super Moderator

It’s a very strong 8wpc but speakers in the high 90’s efficiency would be best, I think.

Are you focusing on anything at this point?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe, I was thinking that any number of Klipsch speakers would sound killer with that amp. Mike could speak to some of the other brands that would match up well with your Luxman. I have no doubt that amp sounds gorgeous, especially matched up with high efficiency speakers. I also love the sound of class A amps.

Super Moderator

The MQ-300 are slightly warm and full with a sweet tone - a perfect balance to Klipsch and many others.

The standard Takatsuki 300B tubes are wonderful.

I bet at low to moderate volume, even the Super HL5+ 40th might work well.

My friend Bruce and I went to visit someone running 40.1 with 2A3 Melody amps with about the same power and it was great. Obviously Harbeth benefit from power but simpler music at same volume can be glorious.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Absolutely!

Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Audioshark

Curious how accurate those meters are. Many companies meters are NOT accurate. More show than go. Curious if these are bang on accurate.

A.Wayne will tell us all we need a gazillion watts. Luxman SQ N150, Luxman MQ 88uC, Luxman MQ 300, Luxman LX 380, Luxman CL 38uC...

Here we are driving the C7’s with an 8 watt Viva amp, with a little headroom to spare.

https://youtu.be/MytKtPXsfLQ

And

https://youtu.be/AM0Gm3VONfY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Curious how accurate those meters are. Many companies meters are NOT accurate. More show than go. Curious if these are bang on accurate.

A.Wayne will tell us all we need a gazillion watts. Luxman SQ N150, Luxman MQ 88uC, Luxman MQ 300, Luxman LX 380, Luxman CL 38uC...

Here we are driving the C7’s with an 8 watt Viva amp, with a little headroom to spare.

https://youtu.be/MytKtPXsfLQ

And

https://youtu.be/AM0Gm3VONfY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I doubt power meters on power amps are calibrated to accepted calibration standards. My point in posting the video is to show people what the designer of Harbeth speakers thinks you need to drive his speakers. And those meters are measuring peak power and not average power like the meters on my Ref 75.

I’m still trying to figure how you design a ported speaker with the low sensitivity of sealed speakers. As for 8 watts driving the Harbeth speakers, I bet A.Wayne can hear the amp clipping without hearing the video.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Wow.....VERY revealing video. I'm speaking of the Harbeth video. I listen almost exclusively to (and play) bluegrass music with occasional forays into small combo jazz and traditional/jump blues. I'm thinking after watching the video that, for higher volume levels (say, 35% to 40% power or higher) the 125 wpc Luxman 509x I'm seriously considering will have "adequate" power. But will it have enough peak reserve for relatively distortion free listening at higher volume levels?

The Harbeth Super HL 5+ Anniversary Edition speakers I've purchased are not inefficient by any means but, according to the video, I wouldn't want to go any lower in power amp wattage than 125 wpc. FWIW and from what I've read the power output on the Luxman 509x is actually closer to 150 wpc. That's at 8 ohms. The Harbeths are 6 ohm speakers, so there would be a little more on tap yet vs 150 wpc. But keep in mind that 500 wpc + continuous power demand on the video.

I was surprised at the amount of continuous power required for this distortion free, relatively sparse recording. And 700+ watts for the peaks?!! Wow. I'm beginning to wonder if 125 wpc minimum is adequate with my application? Although I listen primarily to acoustic music, bluegrass is relatively dense and active music with up to 6 or 7 instruments and lots of 3 and 4 part vocal harmonies, often layered on top of the instruments and playing simultaneously. That also creates more power demand. There is a point where distortion is inaudible. But I don't have any way of knowing where that point is. Can inaudible distortion still have positive or negative effects on the sound? So how much distortion is acceptable? Does "some" distortion actually enhance the sound? Is 125 to 150 wpc going to be adequate for higher volume listening levels? Lots of questions created with that video.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Wow.....VERY revealing video. I'm speaking of the Harbeth video. I listen almost exclusively to (and play) bluegrass music with occasional forays into small combo jazz and traditional/jump blues. I'm thinking after watching the video that, for higher volume levels (say, 35% to 40% power or higher) the 125 wpc Luxman 509x I'm seriously considering will have "adequate" power. But will it have enough peak reserve for relatively distortion free listening at higher volume levels?

The Harbeth Super HL 5+ Anniversary Edition speakers I've purchased are not inefficient by any means but, according to the video, I wouldn't want to go any lower in power amp wattage than 125 wpc. FWIW and from what I've read the power output on the Luxman 509x is actually closer to 150 wpc. That's at 8 ohms. The Harbeths are 6 ohm speakers, so there would be a little more on tap yet vs 150 wpc. But keep in mind that 500 wpc + continuous power demand on the video.

I was surprised at the amount of continuous power required for this distortion free, relatively sparse recording. And 700+ watts for the peaks?!! Wow. I'm beginning to wonder if 125 wpc minimum is adequate with my application? Although I listen primarily to acoustic music, bluegrass is relatively dense and active music with up to 6 or 7 instruments and lots of 3 and 4 part vocal harmonies, often layered on top of the instruments and playing simultaneously. That also creates more power demand. There is a point where distortion is inaudible. But I don't have any way of knowing where that point is. Can inaudible distortion still have positive or negative effects on the sound? So how much distortion is acceptable? Does "some" distortion actually enhance the sound? Is 125 to 150 wpc going to be adequate for higher listening levels? Lots of questions created with that video.
    Do you consider a speaker with a sensitivity rated at 86dB 1w/1m as being "efficient?" Harbeth recommends a minimum of 25 watts to drive this speaker so one would think that 125 watts should be just dandy. It's all going to come down to your room size, how close you sit, and how loud you like to listen to your music.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Do you consider a speaker with a sensitivity rated at 86dB 1w/1m as being "efficient?" Harbeth recommends a minimum of 25 watts to drive this speaker so one would think that 125 watts should be just dandy. It's all going to come down to your room size, how close you sit, and how loud you like to listen to your music.
    Yeah, perhaps 86 db is inefficient when compared to something in the Klipsch line. But looking strictly at the numbers in the Harbeth video the take home lesson to me is how much continuous power it really takes to satisfy power requirements in this rather sparse recording. I mean it's not saturated with musical instruments or vocals like some recordings and it still requires considerable continuous power to remain relatively distortion free. Let alone the peaks, some of which reach 700+ wpc. At least that's how I understand it. But I'm a new comer (again) to home audio so I could certainly be misinterpreting the numbers. If I am please feel free to set me straight.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Yeah, perhaps 86 db is inefficient when compared to something in the Klipsch line. But looking strictly at the numbers in the Harbeth video the take home lesson to me is how much continuous power it really takes to satisfy power requirements in this rather sparse recording. I mean it's not saturated with musical instruments or vocals like some recordings and it still requires considerable continuous power to remain relatively distortion free. Let alone the peaks, some of which reach 700+ wpc. At least that's how I understand it. But I'm a new comer (again) to home audio so I could certainly be misinterpreting the numbers. If I am please feel free to set me straight.
    The purpose of Harbeth making that video was to educate customers on the real power demands placed on amplifiers with their speakers. The lower the sensitivity of your speakers coupled with complex crossovers require greater amplifier power. Even though the Harbeth speakers have the sensitivity you would expect from a sealed design, Harbeth says they present an easy load on the amps because of their impedance.

How much power should your amplifier have to properly drive your speakers?

Source: The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel, Published on Sep 23, 2016
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Luxman SQ N150, Luxman MQ 88uC, Luxman MQ 300, Luxman LX 380, Luxman CL 38uC...