Luxman SQ N150, Luxman MQ 88uC, Luxman MQ 300, Luxman LX 380, Luxman CL 38uC... - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    16,409
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luxman SQ N150, Luxman MQ 88uC, Luxman MQ 300, Luxman LX 380, Luxman CL 38uC...

    The MQ-300 are slightly warm and full with a sweet tone - a perfect balance to Klipsch and many others.

    The standard Takatsuki 300B tubes are wonderful.

    I bet at low to moderate volume, even the Super HL5+ 40th might work well.

    My friend Bruce and I went to visit someone running 40.1 with 2A3 Melody amps with about the same power and it was great. Obviously Harbeth benefit from power but simpler music at same volume can be glorious.
    Joe

    Misho Myronov Wooden Amp and Wooden preamp, AkitikA GT-102 power amplifier, Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job INTegrated, Job 250 Monos, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, McIntosh MCLK12, Conrad Johnson GAT2, Pass Labs XA25.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Southeast Iowa
    Posts
    247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luxman SQ N150, Luxman MQ 88uC, Luxman MQ 300, Luxman LX 380, Luxman CL 38uC...

    Absolutely!

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,638
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luxman SQ N150, Luxman MQ 88uC, Luxman MQ 300, Luxman LX 380, Luxman CL 38uC...

    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

  4. #14
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    24,688
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luxman SQ N150, Luxman MQ 88uC, Luxman MQ 300, Luxman LX 380, Luxman CL 38uC...

    Curious how accurate those meters are. Many companies meters are NOT accurate. More show than go. Curious if these are bang on accurate.

    A.Wayne will tell us all we need a gazillion watts.

    Here we are driving the C7’s with an 8 watt Viva amp, with a little headroom to spare.

    https://youtu.be/MytKtPXsfLQ

    And

    https://youtu.be/AM0Gm3VONfY


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,638
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luxman SQ N150, Luxman MQ 88uC, Luxman MQ 300, Luxman LX 380, Luxman CL 38uC...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Curious how accurate those meters are. Many companies meters are NOT accurate. More show than go. Curious if these are bang on accurate.

    A.Wayne will tell us all we need a gazillion watts.

    Here we are driving the C7’s with an 8 watt Viva amp, with a little headroom to spare.

    https://youtu.be/MytKtPXsfLQ

    And

    https://youtu.be/AM0Gm3VONfY


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I doubt power meters on power amps are calibrated to accepted calibration standards. My point in posting the video is to show people what the designer of Harbeth speakers thinks you need to drive his speakers. And those meters are measuring peak power and not average power like the meters on my Ref 75.

    I’m still trying to figure how you design a ported speaker with the low sensitivity of sealed speakers. As for 8 watts driving the Harbeth speakers, I bet A.Wayne can hear the amp clipping without hearing the video.
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

  6. Likes Mike liked this post
  7. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Southeast Iowa
    Posts
    247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luxman SQ N150, Luxman MQ 88uC, Luxman MQ 300, Luxman LX 380, Luxman CL 38uC...

    Wow.....VERY revealing video. I'm speaking of the Harbeth video. I listen almost exclusively to (and play) bluegrass music with occasional forays into small combo jazz and traditional/jump blues. I'm thinking after watching the video that, for higher volume levels (say, 35% to 40% power or higher) the 125 wpc Luxman 509x I'm seriously considering will have "adequate" power. But will it have enough peak reserve for relatively distortion free listening at higher volume levels?

    The Harbeth Super HL 5+ Anniversary Edition speakers I've purchased are not inefficient by any means but, according to the video, I wouldn't want to go any lower in power amp wattage than 125 wpc. FWIW and from what I've read the power output on the Luxman 509x is actually closer to 150 wpc. That's at 8 ohms. The Harbeths are 6 ohm speakers, so there would be a little more on tap yet vs 150 wpc. But keep in mind that 500 wpc + continuous power demand on the video.

    I was surprised at the amount of continuous power required for this distortion free, relatively sparse recording. And 700+ watts for the peaks?!! Wow. I'm beginning to wonder if 125 wpc minimum is adequate with my application? Although I listen primarily to acoustic music, bluegrass is relatively dense and active music with up to 6 or 7 instruments and lots of 3 and 4 part vocal harmonies, often layered on top of the instruments and playing simultaneously. That also creates more power demand. There is a point where distortion is inaudible. But I don't have any way of knowing where that point is. Can inaudible distortion still have positive or negative effects on the sound? So how much distortion is acceptable? Does "some" distortion actually enhance the sound? Is 125 to 150 wpc going to be adequate for higher volume listening levels? Lots of questions created with that video.

  8. Likes Mike liked this post
  9. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,638
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luxman SQ N150, Luxman MQ 88uC, Luxman MQ 300, Luxman LX 380, Luxman CL 38uC...

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Wow.....VERY revealing video. I'm speaking of the Harbeth video. I listen almost exclusively to (and play) bluegrass music with occasional forays into small combo jazz and traditional/jump blues. I'm thinking after watching the video that, for higher volume levels (say, 35% to 40% power or higher) the 125 wpc Luxman 509x I'm seriously considering will have "adequate" power. But will it have enough peak reserve for relatively distortion free listening at higher volume levels?

    The Harbeth Super HL 5+ Anniversary Edition speakers I've purchased are not inefficient by any means but, according to the video, I wouldn't want to go any lower in power amp wattage than 125 wpc. FWIW and from what I've read the power output on the Luxman 509x is actually closer to 150 wpc. That's at 8 ohms. The Harbeths are 6 ohm speakers, so there would be a little more on tap yet vs 150 wpc. But keep in mind that 500 wpc + continuous power demand on the video.

    I was surprised at the amount of continuous power required for this distortion free, relatively sparse recording. And 700+ watts for the peaks?!! Wow. I'm beginning to wonder if 125 wpc minimum is adequate with my application? Although I listen primarily to acoustic music, bluegrass is relatively dense and active music with up to 6 or 7 instruments and lots of 3 and 4 part vocal harmonies, often layered on top of the instruments and playing simultaneously. That also creates more power demand. There is a point where distortion is inaudible. But I don't have any way of knowing where that point is. Can inaudible distortion still have positive or negative effects on the sound? So how much distortion is acceptable? Does "some" distortion actually enhance the sound? Is 125 to 150 wpc going to be adequate for higher listening levels? Lots of questions created with that video.
    Do you consider a speaker with a sensitivity rated at 86dB 1w/1m as being "efficient?" Harbeth recommends a minimum of 25 watts to drive this speaker so one would think that 125 watts should be just dandy. It's all going to come down to your room size, how close you sit, and how loud you like to listen to your music.
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

  10. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Southeast Iowa
    Posts
    247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luxman SQ N150, Luxman MQ 88uC, Luxman MQ 300, Luxman LX 380, Luxman CL 38uC...

    Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Do you consider a speaker with a sensitivity rated at 86dB 1w/1m as being "efficient?" Harbeth recommends a minimum of 25 watts to drive this speaker so one would think that 125 watts should be just dandy. It's all going to come down to your room size, how close you sit, and how loud you like to listen to your music.
    Yeah, perhaps 86 db is inefficient when compared to something in the Klipsch line. But looking strictly at the numbers in the Harbeth video the take home lesson to me is how much continuous power it really takes to satisfy power requirements in this rather sparse recording. I mean it's not saturated with musical instruments or vocals like some recordings and it still requires considerable continuous power to remain relatively distortion free. Let alone the peaks, some of which reach 700+ wpc. At least that's how I understand it. But I'm a new comer (again) to home audio so I could certainly be misinterpreting the numbers. If I am please feel free to set me straight.

  11. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,638
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luxman SQ N150, Luxman MQ 88uC, Luxman MQ 300, Luxman LX 380, Luxman CL 38uC...

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Yeah, perhaps 86 db is inefficient when compared to something in the Klipsch line. But looking strictly at the numbers in the Harbeth video the take home lesson to me is how much continuous power it really takes to satisfy power requirements in this rather sparse recording. I mean it's not saturated with musical instruments or vocals like some recordings and it still requires considerable continuous power to remain relatively distortion free. Let alone the peaks, some of which reach 700+ wpc. At least that's how I understand it. But I'm a new comer (again) to home audio so I could certainly be misinterpreting the numbers. If I am please feel free to set me straight.
    The purpose of Harbeth making that video was to educate customers on the real power demands placed on amplifiers with their speakers. The lower the sensitivity of your speakers coupled with complex crossovers require greater amplifier power. Even though the Harbeth speakers have the sensitivity you would expect from a sealed design, Harbeth says they present an easy load on the amps because of their impedance.
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

  12. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,004
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luxman SQ N150, Luxman MQ 88uC, Luxman MQ 300, Luxman LX 380, Luxman CL 38uC...



    How much power should your amplifier have to properly drive your speakers?

    Source: The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel, Published on Sep 23, 2016
    Borresen Acoustics ApS Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

  13. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Likes joeinid liked this post
 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2