Speaker opinions - Page 4
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speaker opinions

I'm just surprised that your wife would nix Harbeths but the B&Ws and KEFs are still in the mix. When I was auditioning KEF (reference 3 & 5) my wife was lobbying hard against them.

She's reasonably happy with the classic Harbeth look (SHL5+ A.E. in Tamo Ash, is what I went with to replace my 25 year-old Thiel CS3.6s). Of course if she could cram them into a bookshelf, she would.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Joe

Misho Myronov Wooden Amp and Wooden preamp, AkitikA GT-102 power amplifier, Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, McIntosh MC303, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job INTegrated, Job 250 Monos, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, McIntosh MCLK12, Conrad Johnson GAT2, Pass Labs XA25.

Post Thanks / Like

My friend let me break in a set of Ref 3's, they were gloss white with blue drivers. I wasn't overly thrilled with the look but some friends like them.

I was auditioning a set of Revel Studio 2's, the only speaker my wife ever complimented the looks. I was so tempted to buy them after that. I got just the opposite on my JBL's. But she designated my sound room to the lower level for a reason, or two or 3, LOL
    Aurender ACS10 w/AQ Diamond,
    Mark Levinson #526 & 532h, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Post Thanks / Like

You know, your area is lively, has JBL ever crossed your mind? The compression drivers are extended but not at all harsh with good electronics. I specify good electronics only because they are honest. The highs are just pristine. The 15 would be nicely rich with the Pass and you already have subs for that final low octave.

Then again, your wife will probably love them as much as mine does, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    I am just starting my search for new speakers. I bought a pair of PSB T3's to replace my Magnepan 1.6's. The T3's aren't doing it for me. I am looking at speakers in the $6K-$9K range. Locally, there are not a lot to choose from- B&W, Martin Logan, Magnepan, Paradigm, Dyn Audio, Golden Ear, Focal, KEF for the most part. I will be going to RMAF in September, so I hope to hear many other speaker brands to help me decide.

My room is 17'x17' with 9' ceilings.

I have not heard these speakers but have been reading about the B&W 804 D3's, the new 2019 Monitor Audio Gold 300's and the Revel F228be's. I like a deep and rich sounding mid range with good air and transparency. I am sensitive to brightness. Just curious if any one has heard these and their thoughts on them.

Thanks

Larry
    Aurender ACS10 w/AQ Diamond,
    Mark Levinson #526 & 532h, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4