Speaker opinions - Page 3
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speaker opinions

I do like the Studio 2's. I have heard Swissstrips system with the Salon 2's many times and love the sound with his Pass mono's and his new Atma-Spere preamp. One of the best home systems that I have heard.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Other systems- Parasound A21 amp,Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid tube DAC and Preamp, Magnepan MMG's, Monitor Audio S1's, PSB B6's, Def Tech Pro Monitor 1000's, Velodyne sub, Adcom GFR-700 AVR, Music Hall 25.2 modified CDP, Cables by Cardas Parsec, AQ Columbia DBS 72v, Wire World.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking back at this, the KEF Reference would be worth you a listen, probably Ref 3's. I haven't heard any of the new R series.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    I am just starting my search for new speakers. I bought a pair of PSB T3's to replace my Magnepan 1.6's. The T3's aren't doing it for me. I am looking at speakers in the $6K-$9K range. Locally, there are not a lot to choose from- B&W, Martin Logan, Magnepan, Paradigm, Dyn Audio, Golden Ear, Focal, KEF for the most part. I will be going to RMAF in September, so I hope to hear many other speaker brands to help me decide.

My room is 17'x17' with 9' ceilings.

I have not heard these speakers but have been reading about the B&W 804 D3's, the new 2019 Monitor Audio Gold 300's and the Revel F228be's. I like a deep and rich sounding mid range with good air and transparency. I am sensitive to brightness. Just curious if any one has heard these and their thoughts on them.

Thanks

Larry
    Aurender ACS10 w/AQ Diamond,
    Mark Levinson #526 & 532h, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys have nailed them all: B&W, DynAudio, KEF, Revel. Canít go wrong with any of those in the OPís budget. Add PSB to the mix too.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

I took my son to listen to the new KEF R series and while they had a nice sound, they lacked detail and resolution. They also needed to be turned up loud. I have not heard the Reference series though. They would be worth a look.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Other systems- Parasound A21 amp,Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid tube DAC and Preamp, Magnepan MMG's, Monitor Audio S1's, PSB B6's, Def Tech Pro Monitor 1000's, Velodyne sub, Adcom GFR-700 AVR, Music Hall 25.2 modified CDP, Cables by Cardas Parsec, AQ Columbia DBS 72v, Wire World.

5. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    I took my son to listen to the new KEF R series and while they had a nice sound, they lacked detail and resolution. They also needed to be turned up loud. I have not heard the Reference series though. They would be worth a look.
    When I had a house full of Kef gear and stepped up to a pair of Reference speakers is when I understood what everybody meant about component matching. I believe my Ref's had over 50 parts in the xover making them a bit of a challenge for my components at the time, in fact until I found the right amp those ref's were downright nasty.
    Meridian dsp8000 upgrading to 'se',VA Beethovens, , Hegel h360, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner.

Post Thanks / Like

The KEF Reference are in an entirely different league to the R series, even the recently released new R series. I have owned Reference 3’s for over two years now. If you could find a used pair, they would be in your budget. If you prefer new, the Reference 1 are incredible stand mount speakers and would fit the bill as well. These speakers do like some juice, so amp matching is important to performance.
    Morgan

Post Thanks / Like

Magico S3 mk1. I believe, with some luck, you could get them under $10k.

Post Thanks / Like

I took my son shopping for new speakers for him. My son and I were really disappointed in the new KEF R series. We heard them on the new Parasound A21 plus amp and JC2 preamp. They sounded veiled or muddy. The lower priced Triton's had much more detail and clarity. We heard them again at a Best Buy Magnolia on Mac gear and again they sounded veiled in comparison to a pair of Martin Logan XT 60's.

I am not worried about power for most of the speakers that I am looking at. My Pass amp is rated at 250 wpc at 8 ohms and 500 at 4.

There is a Magico dealer here in town. I may have to give them a listen but they are out of my price point. Used is certainly an option.

10. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was at Best Buy today and I stopped by the Magnolia store to see if they have the KEF Reference line and they do. Unfortunately they did not have the Reference 3's on the floor.

The salesman says that they would bring out the B&W 804 D3 to my home to audition. I was shocked that they offer that. He was very knowledgeable about home audio surprisingly.

I doubt that I would do it because I prefer to buy from one of the local mom and pop shops that sells them.

12. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would take advantage of the 'big box store' and accept the home demo offer then if I still want them order them from the local b&m.
    Meridian dsp8000 upgrading to 'se',VA Beethovens, , Hegel h360, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast