Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Speaker opinions

I am just starting my search for new speakers. I bought a pair of PSB T3's to replace my Magnepan 1.6's. The T3's aren't doing it for me. I am looking at speakers in the $6K-$9K range. Locally, there are not a lot to choose from- B&W, Martin Logan, Magnepan, Paradigm, Dyn Audio, Golden Ear, Focal, KEF for the most part. I will be going to RMAF in September, so I hope to hear many other speaker brands to help me decide.

My room is 17'x17' with 9' ceilings.

I have not heard these speakers but have been reading about the B&W 804 D3's, the new 2019 Monitor Audio Gold 300's and the Revel F228be's. I like a deep and rich sounding mid range with good air and transparency. I am sensitive to brightness. Just curious if any one has heard these and their thoughts on them.

Thanks

Larry
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Audioshark

Re: Speaker opinions

This is exactly why I picked up B&W. Price points like this. You know my thoughts. Speaker opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Dynaudios are easy going, try some Countour models.
    1. ITX PC - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NC800SL - Thiel CS3.7
    2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NCMP6200 - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000
    3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Audeze LCDi3 - Neumann KH 80 DSP
    4. Phone - TempoTec Sonata E44 - Moondrop Blessing2 Dusk
    5. PC - Meizu HiFi DAC - Moondrop Chu

Larry - Your room and amp would be adequate for Magnepan 3.7is (assuming you still like the sound). If you can fin a pair of mint used Revel Salon or Studio 2s, they would work well in your room. Also, recently listened to Pure Audio Project at AXPONA - sounded terrific and very reasonable.

Very difficult to set up a square room. It can be done but patience and some room treatment will be needed.

BTW, what kind of music do you like?

Lastly, a great investment for you to attend RMAF.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Mike, I figured you would be a B&W fan. I am going to give them a listen. I am going to haul all my gear over to the local dealer.

Dyn Audio are high on my list. The local dealer is expecting the new models in soon.

Ritmo, I would love to have the 3.7i's but my wife is tired of having door panels for speakers, hence my dilemma.

I listen to most genre's of music- acoustic, vocal, jazz, blues and 60's, 70's and 80's RR with some occasional classical mixed in.

I love the sound of Harbeth's but damn they are ugly and my wife already nixed them. I should just move everything down to my basement and then the WAF would not be a factor but damn it is cold down there in the MN winters.

If I can't find anything to my liking, I may just get the 1.7'i's and upgrade my preamp to an Atma-Sphere MP-3 MK3.3 with the teflon Vcaps and maybe my DAC.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Audioshark

Either of your choices are excellent.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I second Dynaudio. When I bought my 82s, I went head to head with the comparable B&Ws and liked the tweeter of the Dyns better. No fatigue.

The higher models are just that much better. Good luck with your search and selection.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Audioshark

Speaker opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    I second Dynaudio. When I bought my 82s, I went head to head with the comparable B&Ws and liked the tweeter of the Dyns better. No fatigue.

The higher models are just that much better. Good luck with your search and selection.
    I find no fatigue if properly setup (little to no toe in). Sadly, too many dealers don’t read the manual, do the training, etc and just set them up with the tweeters pointed right at the listeners ears. They’re not designed for that.

We are listening to the 702 S2’s this morning at B&W dealer training and they are insanely good for $4500/pair.

I like the DynAudio’s too. Both are great in that price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I find no fatigue if properly setup (little to no toe in). Sadly, too many dealers don’t read the manual, do the training, etc and just set them up with the tweeters pointed right at the listeners ears. They’re not designed for that.

We are listening to the 702 S2’s this morning at B&W dealer training and they are insanely good for $4500/pair.

I like the DynAudio’s too. Both are great in that price range.

It's been too long for me to remember the exact B&W model but they were the same price as the 82s when I decided on the Dyns. Monkey Coffin with Cyclops Eye
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Thanks guys. It should be a fun adventure.

Mike, how do the 702 S2's compare to the the 804 D3's?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    Thanks guys. It should be a fun adventure.

Mike, how do the 702 S2's compare to the the 804 D3's?
    You get a lot of the technical benefits of the 8 series in the 702 S2. But the 804 D3 is clearly superior.

You get a lot of the technical benefits of the 8 series in the 702 S2. But the 804 D3 is clearly superior.
    How do the 804's sound at low volume and will they be a match for my 17x17 room with 9' ceilings?

Audioshark

Good and yes. I PERSONALLY would pair - down the road - with a couple of DB3B’s.

Good and yes. I PERSONALLY would pair - down the road - with a couple of DB3B’s.

Looks like I will be lugging my 100 pound Pass amp and 50 pound preamp over to the local B&W dealer. The Luxman DAC also weighs in at 28 pounds. I am not bring my dual subs lol.

Does this count as going to the gym!

As the native Norwegian Minnesotan's say "Uff da!"

Pretty good sized room. There's a lot of really good sounding speakers for that money. I just sold a pair of Usher BE-20 dmd's that I liked quite a lot and they were an easy load compared to the salon 2 they replaced. Buying used, if you have the extra room for boxes is nice because ya can take all the time ya need to decide if they're 'the ones'.
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

Wouldn't it be easier and a better audition if the dealer brought the speakers to you?

What is it about the PSB you didn't like? That may help with suggestions.

I really like the latest Monitor Audio Gold/Platnum, enjoying a lively dynamic presentation, however, probably not for you. I wonder as well about the brillium of the Revel, although the sound is decently balanced. The 228b may feature the contour controls which would help with picking a high end response. I really have the same reservations with B&W for you but I know they can sound good with carefully matched gear. There's a reason Mac/B&W is a hot match these days. I can't remember ever hearing them with Pass but I'd bet that would be nice as well.

I would love to hear you reaction to a Vandersteen in your budget. And, also, the original Dynaudio Focus series I'd bet is ideal. Those weren't for everyone but they had a special sound. You'd have to find those used but I bet the price is right. Or, check out a set of Sapphires, price may not be as good used though since they were an anniversary edition.

Looks like I will be lugging my 100 pound Pass amp and 50 pound preamp over to the local B&W dealer. The Luxman DAC also weighs in at 28 pounds. I am not bring my dual subs lol.

Does this count as going to the gym!

As the native Norwegian Minnesotan's say "Uff da!"
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Bryan, I like a lively sound but I don't like a forward or bright sounding system. The PSB's are too laid back. All my audio buddies that have heard the PSB's compared to the much cheaper Magnepan 1.6's agreed that the 1.6's sounded much better in my system. The PSB's do a lot really well though but not enough to justify me keeping them over my Magnepans. Maybe it is just me and I prefer the Maggie sound, but there are plenty of box speakers that I like.

I am pretty sure that the local dealers would not want to bring the speakers over to try in my room unless they were sure that I would definitely buy them. Two dealers have a 30 day return policy.

I am on the fence on with the Revel Beryllium tweeters. I would have to hear it with my gear. The 228be's do not have the adjustable tweeters.

I think I would recommend a used pair of studio 2's before the f228be on presence alone. The persona 3f is an impressive speaker also.
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

I've had extensive auditions of the Revel F228Be as well as their Salon2, and despite all of the claims of them using much of the same (or very similar) technology there is no comparison at all in their performance. As you'd likely expect given their significant price differential (which doesn't always translate into relative performance) I don't find any aspects of their sonic quality to be at a similar level, the Salon2 is in an entirely different league.

Hmm if only you could hear some Studio 2's (will always be grateful)

I know the BW's sound great properly setup (which seems silly to even state the obvious) and would see if you can get the local to bring them to your room - I've heard the big 800's with those kW mono's several times and cannot believe they are setup properly in that room, they are just dull, dull, dull. BW are a bit more controlled "studio" sound if I'm not mistaken? If you prefer lively, dunno if they are up your alley, but gotta try them in your space to be sure.

My point being is I don't think listening to them in that space will give you proper representation. Which can be said of any "not properly setup" spkrs, lol.

The BW might be a great fit for you and I still think you should really consider the basement so you have freedom and space to do what YOU want? Just food for thought and totally understand WAF etc... Ironically, the BW monitors they have on the short wall sounded great.
    Main:
    Room: Dedicated 25 x 14 x 8 treated room | Computers (headless in utility room): Wkst #1 Ubuntu running lifetime ROON server. High end wkst #2 High end wkst running HQE image | Network rack (in utility room): Managed Fiber Switch, QNAP NAS | Endpoint: Fiber to SONORE OpticalRendu w/ LPS, Sbooster USB vbus2 |DAC: Lampi Lite7, Holo Audio S3 KTE, Aqua La Scala MKII Optologic | Pre: Atma-Sphere MP-3 Mk3.3 Pre | Amps: Pass XA100.5 Mono's | Speakers: Revel Ultima Studio2 (Townshend seismic posiums) with Dual PSA X15 sealed subs | Isolation: Components on custom roller bearings + compression springs | Cables: Wireworld Platinum USB / Analysis Plus PC / Gotham 4/4 XLR / AQ spkr / Revelation audiolabs I2s | Server Streamer: Aqua LinQ using HQP modules > I2s to Aqua La Scala

Office: Win10 wkst with Spotify or ROON controller > VDAC-II > VLINK 192 > Yamaha RX integrated > Polk audio signature Monitors >12" sub

I do like the Studio 2's. I have heard Swissstrips system with the Salon 2's many times and love the sound with his Pass mono's and his new Atma-Spere preamp. One of the best home systems that I have heard.

Looking back at this, the KEF Reference would be worth you a listen, probably Ref 3's. I haven't heard any of the new R series.

I am just starting my search for new speakers. I bought a pair of PSB T3's to replace my Magnepan 1.6's. The T3's aren't doing it for me. I am looking at speakers in the $6K-$9K range. Locally, there are not a lot to choose from- B&W, Martin Logan, Magnepan, Paradigm, Dyn Audio, Golden Ear, Focal, KEF for the most part. I will be going to RMAF in September, so I hope to hear many other speaker brands to help me decide.

I have not heard these speakers but have been reading about the B&W 804 D3's, the new 2019 Monitor Audio Gold 300's and the Revel F228be's. I like a deep and rich sounding mid range with good air and transparency. I am sensitive to brightness. Just curious if any one has heard these and their thoughts on them.

Thanks

Larry

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Audioshark

You guys have nailed them all: B&W, DynAudio, KEF, Revel. Can’t go wrong with any of those in the OP’s budget. Add PSB to the mix too.

I took my son to listen to the new KEF R series and while they had a nice sound, they lacked detail and resolution. They also needed to be turned up loud. I have not heard the Reference series though. They would be worth a look.

I took my son to listen to the new KEF R series and while they had a nice sound, they lacked detail and resolution. They also needed to be turned up loud. I have not heard the Reference series though. They would be worth a look.
    When I had a house full of Kef gear and stepped up to a pair of Reference speakers is when I understood what everybody meant about component matching. I believe my Ref's had over 50 parts in the xover making them a bit of a challenge for my components at the time, in fact until I found the right amp those ref's were downright nasty.

The KEF Reference are in an entirely different league to the R series, even the recently released new R series. I have owned Reference 3’s for over two years now. If you could find a used pair, they would be in your budget. If you prefer new, the Reference 1 are incredible stand mount speakers and would fit the bill as well. These speakers do like some juice, so amp matching is important to performance.
    Morgan

NEW SYSTEM UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Magico S3 mk1. I believe, with some luck, you could get them under $10k.

I took my son shopping for new speakers for him. My son and I were really disappointed in the new KEF R series. We heard them on the new Parasound A21 plus amp and JC2 preamp. They sounded veiled or muddy. The lower priced Triton's had much more detail and clarity. We heard them again at a Best Buy Magnolia on Mac gear and again they sounded veiled in comparison to a pair of Martin Logan XT 60's.

I am not worried about power for most of the speakers that I am looking at. My Pass amp is rated at 250 wpc at 8 ohms and 500 at 4.

There is a Magico dealer here in town. I may have to give them a listen but they are out of my price point. Used is certainly an option.

I was at Best Buy today and I stopped by the Magnolia store to see if they have the KEF Reference line and they do. Unfortunately they did not have the Reference 3's on the floor.

The salesman says that they would bring out the B&W 804 D3 to my home to audition. I was shocked that they offer that. He was very knowledgeable about home audio surprisingly.

I doubt that I would do it because I prefer to buy from one of the local mom and pop shops that sells them.

I would take advantage of the 'big box store' and accept the home demo offer then if I still want them order them from the local b&m.

I'm just surprised that your wife would nix Harbeths but the B&Ws and KEFs are still in the mix. When I was auditioning KEF (reference 3 & 5) my wife was lobbying hard against them.

She's reasonably happy with the classic Harbeth look (SHL5+ A.E. in Tamo Ash, is what I went with to replace my 25 year-old Thiel CS3.6s). Of course if she could cram them into a bookshelf, she would.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

My friend let me break in a set of Ref 3's, they were gloss white with blue drivers. I wasn't overly thrilled with the look but some friends like them.

I was auditioning a set of Revel Studio 2's, the only speaker my wife ever complimented the looks. I was so tempted to buy them after that. I got just the opposite on my JBL's. But she designated my sound room to the lower level for a reason, or two or 3, LOL

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

You know, your area is lively, has JBL ever crossed your mind? The compression drivers are extended but not at all harsh with good electronics. I specify good electronics only because they are honest. The highs are just pristine. The 15 would be nicely rich with the Pass and you already have subs for that final low octave.

Then again, your wife will probably love them as much as mine does, LOL

Thanks

Larry

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

This thread just went to sleep. It is always interesting to find out what OP decided on.

Super Moderator

Interesting speakers the QLN Prestige Three. I’d love to hear them. Pretty strong opinions on the others.

I wouldn’t be so indelicate but maybe add reasons why you don’t like them with more artful terms.

Qln Prestige Three Loudspeaker | REVIEW | Part-Time Audiophile
    Last edited by joeinid; November 1, 2020 at 08:10 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Joe

There should be a place for you to hear the Prestige 3 and 5 in your area shortly when Charles gets the showroom open. When I get the address and date I will send it to you. Somewhere in Astoria.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

Thank you Jack.

I know a friend who knows someone in PA. Don’t know if he stocks them yet but would be interesting.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Charles is supposed to have the Prestige 5 in one system and the Prestige 3 and Fritz Carrera BE in another with Innuos streamers, Aqua DACs and Qauliton tube electronics. Will be using Pete's cables he said.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

Awesome, looking forward to it. Thank you.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by kineticaudio View Post
    I know what REAL LIFE LIKE music sounds like AND those garbage speakers ain't it !
    All these space age looking cabinets and exotic plastic drivers DONT PRODUCE MUSIC !
    So keep it growing your money at that crap cause you'll never be satisfied.
    A speaker is a musical instrument , and I do mean THE WHOLE SPEAKER.
    Thats why this overpriced garbage from WILSON / MAGICO / FOCAL / KEF / PARADIGM / LEGACY / B&W will never come close to a SPENDOR / HARBETH /ROGERS / SALK / QLN speaker.
    I agree these new speakers with new tech DO need to be more carefully matched to components to keep from sounding mechanical. Once you get the synergy, tho. beautiful music.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Interesting speakers the QLN Prestige Three. I’d love to hear them...
    i have heard the qln prestige three and they were indeed good ...really, really, really good. from my listening impressions, i would say the part-time audiophile review is pretty accurate. i would add organic to list of SQ attributes and i will go as far to say they are perhaps the most enjoyable speaker i have ever listened to.

the bass was nothing short of amazing ...i had to ask the dealer if there were skillfully integrated subs in the room (there were none).

when i heard them they were paired with an accuphase integrated and an esoteric DAC.

sadly, they are only 87.5 dB efficient -- otherwise, i would have had to think quite seriously about swapping out of my vikings for them, a thought no other speaker has ever elicited.

at $9,500 the pair, they are one of the best values i know of in high-end audio.

YMMV
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | almarro a318b + air tight atc-5 (phono) | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Super Moderator

Excellent

Thank you for your thoughts. I also wish they were a little more efficient but if they are relatively easy to drive, could actually work out really well.

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    i have heard the qln prestige three and they were indeed good ...really, really, really good. from my listening impressions, i would say the part-time audiophile review is pretty accurate. i would add organic to list of SQ attributes and i will go as far to say they are perhaps the most enjoyable speaker i have ever listened to.

the bass was nothing short of amazing ...i had to ask the dealer if there were skillfully integrated subs in the room (there were none).

when i heard them they were paired with an accuphase integrated and an esoteric DAC.

sadly, they are only 87.5 dB efficient -- otherwise, i would have had to think quite seriously about swapping out of my vikings for them, a thought no other speaker has ever elicited.

at $9,500 the pair, they are one of the best values i know of in high-end audio.

YMMV

NAD C 658 streamer.

I know what REAL LIFE LIKE music sounds like AND those garbage speakers ain't it !
    All these space age looking cabinets and exotic plastic drivers DONT PRODUCE MUSIC !
    Thats why this overpriced garbage from WILSON / MAGICO / FOCAL / KEF / PARADIGM / LEGACY / B&W will never come close to a SPENDOR / HARBETH /ROGERS / SALK / QLN speaker.
    April Fools Day was 7 months ago.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Audioshark

Is this you?

Archive of Kinetic Audio.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Super Moderator

Is this you?

Archive of Kinetic Audio.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The website is very wonky.

NAD C 658 streamer.

B&W = overhyped garbage
    KEF = tin can garbage (older ok)
    MONITOR = garbage
    PARADIGM = ear bleed garbage
    FOCAL = tin can garbage
    MAGICO = way overpriced garbage

Get a pair of QLN PRESTIGE 3 ... you can thank me later

Or if you want to save some money get a used pair of EPOS ES-14 with stands . One of the top 10 speakers ever made.
    How about sharing a little bit of your background and any audio industry ties you have? Also share how you came to your opinions about the speakers you listed and under what circumstances you heard them all.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    The website is very wonky.
    I think the website is dead.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

what part of Pennsyltucky do you reside ? it's obvious the drinking water does not agree with you !!
    Cheers ! …. Dave

... NO speaker today under $30,000 can come close.
    yeah right....... you keep drinking your Kool-Aid (Lancaster County horse piss) !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Speaker opinions