Speaker opinions - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speaker opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    Thanks guys. It should be a fun adventure.

Mike, how do the 702 S2's compare to the the 804 D3's?
    You get a lot of the technical benefits of the 8 series in the 702 S2. But the 804 D3 is clearly superior.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

2. Thanks Mechnutt thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    You get a lot of the technical benefits of the 8 series in the 702 S2. But the 804 D3 is clearly superior.
    How do the 804's sound at low volume and will they be a match for my 17x17 room with 9' ceilings?
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Other systems- Parasound A21 amp,Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid tube DAC and Preamp, Magnepan MMG's, Monitor Audio S1's, PSB B6's, Def Tech Pro Monitor 1000's, Velodyne sub, Adcom GFR-700 AVR, Music Hall 25.2 modified CDP, Cables by Cardas Parsec, AQ Columbia DBS 72v, Wire World.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Good and yes. I PERSONALLY would pair - down the road - with a couple of DB3B’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Good and yes. I PERSONALLY would pair - down the road - with a couple of DB3B’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks like I will be lugging my 100 pound Pass amp and 50 pound preamp over to the local B&W dealer. The Luxman DAC also weighs in at 28 pounds. I am not bring my dual subs lol.

Does this count as going to the gym!

As the native Norwegian Minnesotan's say "Uff da!"
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Other systems- Parasound A21 amp,Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid tube DAC and Preamp, Magnepan MMG's, Monitor Audio S1's, PSB B6's, Def Tech Pro Monitor 1000's, Velodyne sub, Adcom GFR-700 AVR, Music Hall 25.2 modified CDP, Cables by Cardas Parsec, AQ Columbia DBS 72v, Wire World.

6. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty good sized room. There's a lot of really good sounding speakers for that money. I just sold a pair of Usher BE-20 dmd's that I liked quite a lot and they were an easy load compared to the salon 2 they replaced. Buying used, if you have the extra room for boxes is nice because ya can take all the time ya need to decide if they're 'the ones'.
    Meridian dsp8000 upgrading to 'se',VA Beethovens, , Hegel h360, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't it be easier and a better audition if the dealer brought the speakers to you?

What is it about the PSB you didn't like? That may help with suggestions.

I really like the latest Monitor Audio Gold/Platnum, enjoying a lively dynamic presentation, however, probably not for you. I wonder as well about the brillium of the Revel, although the sound is decently balanced. The 228b may feature the contour controls which would help with picking a high end response. I really have the same reservations with B&W for you but I know they can sound good with carefully matched gear. There's a reason Mac/B&W is a hot match these days. I can't remember ever hearing them with Pass but I'd bet that would be nice as well.

I would love to hear you reaction to a Vandersteen in your budget. And, also, the original Dynaudio Focus series I'd bet is ideal. Those weren't for everyone but they had a special sound. You'd have to find those used but I bet the price is right. Or, check out a set of Sapphires, price may not be as good used though since they were an anniversary edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    Looks like I will be lugging my 100 pound Pass amp and 50 pound preamp over to the local B&W dealer. The Luxman DAC also weighs in at 28 pounds. I am not bring my dual subs lol.

Does this count as going to the gym!

As the native Norwegian Minnesotan's say "Uff da!"
    Aurender ACS10 w/AQ Diamond,
    Mark Levinson #526 & 532h, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Post Thanks / Like

Bryan, I like a lively sound but I don't like a forward or bright sounding system. The PSB's are too laid back. All my audio buddies that have heard the PSB's compared to the much cheaper Magnepan 1.6's agreed that the 1.6's sounded much better in my system. The PSB's do a lot really well though but not enough to justify me keeping them over my Magnepans. Maybe it is just me and I prefer the Maggie sound, but there are plenty of box speakers that I like.

I am pretty sure that the local dealers would not want to bring the speakers over to try in my room unless they were sure that I would definitely buy them. Two dealers have a 30 day return policy.

I am on the fence on with the Revel Beryllium tweeters. I would have to hear it with my gear. The 228be's do not have the adjustable tweeters.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would recommend a used pair of studio 2's before the f228be on presence alone. The persona 3f is an impressive speaker also.
    Meridian dsp8000 upgrading to 'se',VA Beethovens, , Hegel h360, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner.

11. Likes Mr Peabody liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had extensive auditions of the Revel F228Be as well as their Salon2, and despite all of the claims of them using much of the same (or very similar) technology there is no comparison at all in their performance. As you'd likely expect given their significant price differential (which doesn't always translate into relative performance) I don't find any aspects of their sonic quality to be at a similar level, the Salon2 is in an entirely different league.

13. Likes Mr Peabody liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm if only you could hear some Studio 2's (will always be grateful)

I know the BW's sound great properly setup (which seems silly to even state the obvious) and would see if you can get the local to bring them to your room - I've heard the big 800's with those kW mono's several times and cannot believe they are setup properly in that room, they are just dull, dull, dull. BW are a bit more controlled "studio" sound if I'm not mistaken? If you prefer lively, dunno if they are up your alley, but gotta try them in your space to be sure.

My point being is I don't think listening to them in that space will give you proper representation. Which can be said of any "not properly setup" spkrs, lol.

The BW might be a great fit for you and I still think you should really consider the basement so you have freedom and space to do what YOU want? Just food for thought and totally understand WAF etc... Ironically, the BW monitors they have on the short wall sounded great.
    Main: High end Win10 wkst (headless) running lifetime ROON server w/HQP > Fiber Switch > QNAP NAS > Fiber to mU > sbooster USB vbus2 > Lampi Lite7 > Atma-Sphere MP-3 Mk3.3 Pre > Pass XA100.5 Mono's > Revel Ultima Studio2 (GAIA footers) with Dual PSA X15 sealed subs
    ROON Controller > HP 2in1
    Components on custom roller bearings + cryoed compression springs
    Cables > Wireworld Platinum / Analysis Plus / Gotham / AQ

Office: Win10 wkst with Spotify or ROON controller > VDAC-II > VLINK 192 > Yamaha RX integrated > Polk audio signature Monitors >12" sub

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast