Fire destroyed precious Masters - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fire destroyed precious Masters

Longer version of the NY Times article in the NY Times Magazine. Very troubling.

In my new reel to reel adventure I'm collecting copies of safety or production masters that I *think* are authentic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/11/m...?module=inline
    Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz Diamond Loom, Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz d-tc Loom (complete), Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

2. Thanks Alpinist thanked for this post
    Likes Alpinist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

there is talk that they had duplicates at other locations. Buts its not proven.
    Chris

(2 Chl): Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE Lumin D1, VPI Classic 1, Manley Chinook, Dynavector DV20x2L.exaSound e32 mk11, Marantz SA11S2. ( computer) Win7, Synology DS413 NAS ,Vincent SP-331MKII , Quicksilver LS,Vapor Audio Breeze, Rythmik F12se. Cables: Acoustic Zen, DL Labs, Blue Jean.. ,Bryston BCD-1,Timbernation Rack,

Post Thanks / Like

Terrible read.

"Yet the news has never reached the broader public. In part, this represents a triumph of crisis management." Cynicism at its best.

Some interesting comments on the NYT page:

"Corporations are in the business of making profits. They are ill-suited to the task of preserving. Preservation should be left to institutions such as libraries and national archives."

That might be true. At least for the remaining rest of the masters.
    hifi:
    power: Audioplan Powerstar, Audioplan Finefilter, Audioplan Powerplant, Powercord
    cd: Creek Destiny
    tube amp: Jadis DA 50 Signature RC
    speaker: Living Voice Avatar 2
    turntable: Pro-Ject Xtension 10 + Ortofon Quintet Black MC
    phono stage: Remton 383 MKII
    cables: Van den Hul MC gold hybrid/Audioplan Musicable bic 7a, Profigold, Wilbrand

home-cinema: Sony blu-ray, Yamaha rx v2700, Heco Metas 700 (4x), Heco center

Post Thanks / Like

Fire destroyed precious Masters

Does the distruction of masters like this impact MQA official recordings?... or is MQA processing derived from some other type of archive?

Edit:
    I realize that MQA processing is based on recording engineers' historic archived data and I'm wondering if those notes and documents that MQA relies upon are also physically stored alongside the actual master music recordings of either vinyl or tape or both?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    Does the distruction of masters like this impact MQA official recordings?... or is MQA processing derived from some other type of archive?
    I don't think that there are any MQA official recordings. MQA is a recent technology that is supposed to be applied to existing Master recordings (that excludes damaged or burned masters).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    I don't think that there are any MQA official recordings. MQA is a recent technology that is supposed to be applied to existing Master recordings (that excludes damaged or burned masters).
    Please see my edit above

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    I don't want to debate semantics regarding "official" but there are many new releases every week that are available in MQA. It is not just being applied to older recordings. I would hope that newer recordings can be obtained in either non-MQA and MQA versions. This might alleviate the sky is falling mentality of the anti-MQA crowd.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's & Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2