Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Amplification for YG Acoustics Carmel 2

Hi all,

Wondering what sort of amplification YG Carmel 2 speakers works well with? Really like the qualities but are reflective of upstream gear and shows poor recordings threadbare.

I heard them with Mark Levinson 585 integrated at the dealers’. I would still like to still utilise my VAC Signature line-stage but will consider integrated amps.

I have a few solid state options in mind to replace the Bryston 4B3:

1) Boulder 1160/1161
    2) Nagra Classic amp / integrated
    3) Soulution 330 integrated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Turntable: VPI Prime - Ortofon Quintet S Black - VPI ADS
    Digital Source: dCS Bartok w/headphone amp
    Preamp: Soulution 520
    Amplifier: Soulution 511
    Speakers: Rockport Atria II
    Power conditioning- Shunyata Research Denali 6000T v1
    Power cord: AQ Thunder/Transparent Audio XL Gen 6
    Interconnect: Transparent Audio Super Gen 5 XLR and tonearm cable / Transparent Audio Gen 6
    Rack: Critical Mass Sotto Voce/ Critical Mass Black Platinum/MXR spike

Audioshark

Re: Amplification for YG Acoustics Carmel 2

Luxman M900u would be terrific I bet.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Good question, but I hope any decent amp is the answer. Those are the first YG speakers that interest me.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Good question, but I hope any decent amp is the answer. Those are the first YG speakers that interest me.
    They are very detailed sounding speakers with a big soundstage.

Interconnect: Transparent Audio Super Gen 5 XLR and tonearm cable / Transparent Audio Gen 6

Amp options for YG Carmels? Here's some to think about.

1. A good friend of mine has them paired with a Vitus integrated amplifier, the SIA-025. Its a great combo.
    2. You may want to message 4Music, a member on this site. He has his YG's paired with Nagra Classic Pre & Nagra Classic Amp.
    3. As you are using a VAC pre have you considered a VAC power amp?
    4. Looking at integrated? In addition to Vitus, I'd also consider the Dan D'Agostino Momentum integrated.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Based on JA's review. which was the only one of any substance, I would be looking at something like the Octave V-110SE for an integrated or a similar powered tube amp if you want to keep the VAC preamp.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    Amp options for YG Carmels? Here's some to think about.

1. A good friend of mine has them paired with a Vitus integrated amplifier, the SIA-025. Its a great combo.
    2. You may want to message 4Music, a member on this site. He has his YG's paired with Nagra Classic Pre & Nagra Classic Amp.
    3. As you are using a VAC pre have you considered a VAC power amp?
    4. Looking at integrated? In addition to Vitus, I'd also consider the Dan Dagostino Momentum integrated.
    Hi,

I am looking at the VAC power amp for this setup just haven’t seen many tube power amps feeding these pair. The VAC 200IQ in stereo puts out 100w/8ohms.

Nagra, Vitus and Dagostino are great suggestions.

One of my friend really loves his Manley mono’s with his YG.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Based on JA's review. which was the only one of any substance, I would be looking at something like the Octave V-110SE for an integrated or a similar powered tube amp if you want to keep the VAC preamp.
    Jack,

That is the quandary I am in- Love the VAC and like to keep it as like the tube pre/SS setup. The great bit about the VAC is the low recommended impedance of 300ohms that will make it easier on choosing a solid state amp but getting the correct synergy going.

The Carmels seems to come to life at mid to higher volumes being relatively sensitivity speakers. I am not suggesting that they don’t do lower volume too well but these need plenty of current, again I could be wrong.

If you are sure you are going with the Carmel then I would bring them in and break them in with the combo you have in place then after you have enough hours on them evaluate which direction you need to go. An alternative to going tube amp or SS amp might be a hybrid like the Aesthetix Atlas or the BHK 250. If you decide you want to go integrated then you have the Aesthetix Mimas. I found it odd that JA had to bring out the Primaluna integrated to get them balanced but he did try multiple combo's before resorting to that.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob82 View Post
    Jack,

That is the quandary I am in- Love the VAC and like to keep it as like the tube pre/SS setup. The great bit about the VAC is the low recommended impedance of 300ohms that will make it easier on choosing a solid state amp but getting the correct synergy going.

The Carmels seems to come to life at mid to higher volumes being relatively sensitivity speakers. I am not suggesting that they don’t do lower volume too well but these need plenty of current, again I could be wrong.

I agree that Carmel 2 needs to be played at higher volume to shine. I am pairing with Diablo 300 now.

My Carmel2 still under 100 hours. There is significant improvement compared to what I heard when it was delivered 3 weeks ago. Would report back after 300-400 hours.

Having said that, I like what I heard when it paired with Vitus RI-101 with lumin as source in show room.

One of my friend recommended pairing with nagra.

Another thread on Carmel 2

YG Acoustics Carmel 2
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...3&share_type=t

Fantastic speakers!
    But they need plenty of juice.
    I heard them with MBL electronics, and that was a great combination.
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

YG Acoustics is one of my favorite brands of speakers and I’ve listened to them a lot. I would second Luxman, Nagra and Audionet.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Hi all,

Wondering what sort of amplification YG Carmel 2 speakers works well with? Really like the qualities but are reflective of upstream gear and shows poor recordings threadbare.

I heard them with Mark Levinson 585 integrated at the dealers’. I would still like to still utilise my VAC Signature line-stage but will consider integrated amps.

I have a few solid state options in mind to replace the Bryston 4B3:

1) Boulder 1160/1161
    2) Nagra Classic amp / integrated
    3) Soulution 330 integrated

Carmel 2 owner here. YG speakers aren’t voiced so, as you stated they a microscope into your upstream gear.

This can have its pros and cons. But, the pros far outweigh the cons. When you change out amps or front end gear you can hear it for Better or worse.

I don’t have any experience with tube gear w/ YG as I’m my preference is towards solid state. Here are some of the brands with notes beside them that I’ve personally heard with Carmel 2.

Pass Labs - Used to own an INT-60 connected to Carmel 2s; Amazing amp but, the speakers didn’t really come alive. A warm but pleasing sound ; I would imagine the larger Pass Class A monoblocks would be special here.

Audionet ( Heard at dealers and shows) - This combo is popular in the US because one of the largest YG dealers is also the US Distributor of Audionet electronics.

Very clean, fast, precise , neutral

Spectral - Similar to Audionet but, taken to the next level in terms of resolution ; low distortion and speed. Synergy with MIT Cables is special.

Many consider Audionet and Spectral dry and analytical but, not me. One man’s warmth is another man’s distortion.

My personal subjective ranking with YG - Spectral, Audionet, Pass Labs

Also used AQ cables (Full Loom ) with Pass and then switched to MIT and even used with Pass with MIT cables prior to Spectral.

Other discussions here have praised MIT and Magico pairing but, MIT works great with YG too.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mdp632 View Post
    Carmel 2 owner here. YG speakers aren’t voiced so, as you stated they a microscope into your upstream gear.

This can have its pros and cons. But, the pros far outweigh the cons. When you change out amps or front end gear you can hear it for Better or worse.

I don’t have any experience with tube gear w/ YG as I’m my preference is towards solid state. Here are some of the brands with notes beside them that I’ve personally heard with Carmel 2.

Pass Labs - Used to own an INT-60 connected to Carmel 2s; Amazing amp but, the speakers didn’t really come alive. A warm but pleasing sound ; I would imagine the larger Pass Class A monoblocks would be special here.

Audionet ( Heard at dealers and shows) - This combo is popular in the US because one of the largest YG dealers is also the US Distributor of Audionet electronics.

Very clean, fast, precise , neutral

Spectral - Similar to Audionet but, taken to the next level in terms of resolution ; low distortion and speed. Synergy with MIT Cables is special.

Many consider Audionet and Spectral dry and analytical but, not me. One man’s warmth is another man’s distortion.

My personal subjective ranking with YG - Spectral, Audionet, Pass Labs

Also used AQ cables (Full Loom ) with Pass and then switched to MIT and even used with Pass with MIT cables prior to Spectral.

Other discussions here have praised MIT and Magico pairing but, MIT works great with YG too.

Good Luck.
    The Audionets are razor fast sounding amps that very suited for the equally quick Carmel.

Which Spectral models are they by the way?

The Audionets are razor fast sounding amps that very suited for the equally quick Carmel.

Which Spectral models are they by the way?

I've heard Carmel 2with Spectral DMA-260S2 Stereo amp and the respective DMC-30SV Pre amp; Full loom of MIT cables.

I've heard the Audionet AMP1V2 Stereo amp ; and their PRE G3 (entry level pre amp) ; Full loom of Kubala Sosna Emotion! cables.

If you are looking for just a stereo amp or integrated I'd consider the Audionet AMP1V2 Stereo amp or the WATT Integrated amp.

Audioshark

EXCEPT for the excellent HUMBOLDT amp, I would not be pairing the older/other Audionets with YG. I’ve heard this pairing many times. Dry and sterile meets neutral is not ideal IMO. The humboldt is a great departure from the old Audionet sound and paired really well with YG. I would look for amps cut from the same cloth:

* Constellation
    * Gryphon Class A
    * Luxman
    * D’Agostino S250
    * Pass
    ....etc.

A big ARC/VAC amp could work nicely as well.

Mike

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    EXCEPT for the excellent HUMBOLDT amp, I would not be pairing the older/other Audionets with YG. I’ve heard this pairing many times. Dry and sterile meets neutral is not ideal IMO. The humboldt is a great departure from the old Audionet sound and paired really well with YG. I would look for amps cut from the same cloth:

* Constellation
    * Gryphon Class A
    * Luxman
    * D’Agostino S250
    * Pass
    ....etc.

Mike
    I tend to agree with Mike.

But my personal recommendation would be EMM labs. My dealer has a pair of YG Carmel with EMM labs mono block amps and full EMM labs source. It sounded great. IMHO better then the Raidho 4.1 speakers with Aavik amps.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

* Constellation
    * Gryphon Class A
    * Luxman
    * D’Agostino S250
    * Pass
    ....etc.

Mike
    Mike

Would you categorise Soulution 330 in the same group?

Audioshark

Mike

Would you categorise Soulution 330 in the same group?

If it sounds like other Soulution, it will be ever so slightly dry, but with some tiny bit of sweetness on top. Wouldn’t actually be a bad combination. Not my favorite, but not bad. I do like Soulution sound. My pick would be Luxman M900u stereo or monos or Constellation.

If it sounds like other Soulution, it will be ever so slightly dry, but with some tiny bit of sweetness on top. Wouldn’t actually be a bad combination. Not my favorite, but not bad. I do like Soulution sound. My pick would be Luxman M900u stereo or monos or Constellation.

Mike
    If the VAC 200IQ stereo work well with the Carmel 2, will surely go for it.

I do understand why you recommend the Luxman m900u. I have never heard them but will imagine similar to the sonic signature VACs.

Audioshark

Mike
    If the VAC 200IQ stereo work well with the Carmel 2, will surely go for it.

I do understand why you recommend the Luxman m900u. I have never heard them but will imagine similar to the sonic signature VACs.

Give it a try. That VAC amp will drive almost anything. I love mine.

Luxman is sweet and musical. Toe tapping.

A bit off topic, but would like to ask recommendations of upgrading Carmel 2 footers.

Dealer recommended to get Harmonix spike base.
    I thinking about change to spike to GAIA II, which add another benefit of lifting up the speakers slightly

Any other recommendations?

I heard the Luxman on Hailey 2 at the show this weekend - seemed to pair nicely. In my experience with YG, a slightly warm amp is preferred. I wouldn't go the Soulution, Spectral, CH route at all.

Generally speaking i wouldn't suggest tubes on YG, but on the Carmel it might work.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by kimurastanley View Post
    A bit off topic, but would like to ask recommendations of upgrading Carmel 2 footers.

Dealer recommended to get Harmonix spike base.
    I thinking about change to spike to GAIA II, which add another benefit of lifting up the speakers slightly

Any other recommendations?

Stillpoints perhaps? But I reckon you can’t go wrong with the Isoacoustics Gaia.

Stillpoints perhaps? But I reckon you can’t go wrong with the Isoacoustics Gaia.

Decided to go with GAIA II at the end.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team