Sonore OpticalModule in da House!
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Sonore OpticalModule in da House!

    Just a note that the Sonore OpticalModule arrived today. Turns out it was shipped by Small Green Computer and not Sonore.

    I've got the new run of fiber (LC/LC vs. the existing SC/SC) laid out and will let the system warm up a good hour before putting in the OpticalModule.

    The OM will connect via Ethernet to my microRendu.

    Will report back later today...stay tuned.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    956
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sonore OpticalModule in da House!

    Very cool!
    George
    -----------------------

    My Instrument of Precise Music Reproduction

    Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > AT&T ST Optical Glass Fiber > Bel Canto DAC3.7 DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers

    Powered By 2X BPT 3.5 Signature Plus Ultra | Shunyata Research Hydra Triton | UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS | CyberPower Sinewave UPS


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sonore OpticalModule in da House!

    Quote Originally Posted by Audioseduction View Post
    Very cool!
    First impressions: quite a bit quieter than the standard generic consumer-grade FMCs

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    16,061
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sonore OpticalModule in da House!

    Excellent, looking forward to more updates. Thank you.
    Joe

    Misho Myronov Wooden Amp and Wooden preamp, AkitikA GT-102 power amplifier, Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job INTegrated, Job 250 Monos, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, McIntosh MCLK12, Conrad Johnson GAT2.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sonore OpticalModule in da House!

    Upon first listen, the OpticalModule made the fiber-based digital streaming system notably quieter and more holographic in presentation.

    That being said, running the OpticalModule with my 9V iFi iPower "low noise" SMPS, it was running pretty dang toasty; even warmer than the Sonore microRendu.

    So...I've been playing games with switching around powers supplies, to some good effect, I think.

    Starting out today, using my 9V iFi iPower "low noise"(?- ) SMPS to power the OpticalModule, it was plugged into my Shunyata Triton. My UpTone Audio LPS-1 was powering the microRendu at 7V as it has done continually since 2017, the PC for its MeanWell 7.5V transformer brick is a Shunyata Venom 14 PC also plugged into the Triton. The upstream TP-Link MC220L FMC was powered by a Jameco 9V Reliapro LPS, plugged into my Shunyata Hydra 4 (which in turn is plugged into the wall with a Shunyata Diamondback PC).

    As the OpticalModule was getting pretty toasty running at 9V, I swapped things around, with respect to power supplies: I set the LPS-1 to 5V to power the OpticalModule, moved the Jameco 9V LPS from the upstream FMC to power the microRendu, put the iFi iPower 9V into Hydra 4 to power the upstream FMC. All plugged into the Shunyata power distributors as before.

    Overall, this second power configuration, appears, at least initially, to sound better than when the iFi was powering the OpticalModule; it seems even quieter and smoother, more natural-sounding. And, the microRendu sounds pretty dang good with the 9V Jameco Reliapro LPS. I think that the iFi iPower was adding contributing noise when powering the OpticalModule. Last but not least, the OpticalModule runs considerably cooler now at 5V than at 9V.

    I'll stay with this configuration until my Jameco 5V LPS arrives tomorrow. If I were to hazard a guess, the system will sound a bit better if I can get that iFi iPower 9V SMPS completely out of the system.

    More later, stay tuned.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Milford, MI
    Posts
    2,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sonore OpticalModule in da House!

    I have been very happy with the opticalModule since inserting into my system just over a week ago. First I just placed it near my optical switch awaiting delivery of a long run of optical cable. Once I replaced the long run of ethernet with a similar length of optical cable I was able to move the opticalModule just before my dCS Upsampler. With only a .75m length of ethernet between the module and the Upsampler there is little chance of noise being added back into the network. In my mind it seems a bit quieter than plain old ethernet.

    I believe there will be many who prefer the GigaFOIL over the opticalModule. It might be the old musicality versus detail debate. I wonder if it is possible to piggyback the two devices to see if there is any synergy in the combo.
    Jim

    D'Agostino Momentum M-400's & Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata

  7. Likes Puma Cat liked this post
  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    989
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sonore OpticalModule in da House!

    Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    I have been very happy with the opticalModule since inserting into my system just over a week ago. First I just placed it near my optical switch awaiting delivery of a long run of optical cable. Once I replaced the long run of ethernet with a similar length of optical cable I was able to move the opticalModule just before my dCS Upsampler. With only a .75m length of ethernet between the module and the Upsampler there is little chance of noise being added back into the network. In my mind it seems a bit quieter than plain old ethernet.

    I believe there will be many who prefer the GigaFOIL over the opticalModule. It might be the old musicality versus detail debate. I wonder if it is possible to piggyback the two devices to see if there is any synergy in the combo.
    There’s a few ways to skin the cat aside from all our variables.

    So is your network now in a better place with these benefits?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Power Conditioning, Filters & Switch: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX 105D, 20 AMP Dedicated w/Surge Protection, AQVox SE switch, Keces LPS P3 & P8 w/Nordost AC power and Ghent DC cables for the Gigafoil v4, modem, routers and switches.
    Cables, Isolation, Room Treatment: Nordost Supreme Reference (Odin) Distribution, Reference Line (Valhalla 2) Components and Speakers, HRS M3X Platforms & Damping Plates. Stillpoint’s Ultra 6/SS and Vicoustic Room Treatments
    Power & Sound: D’Agostino Pre-Amplifier to D’Agostino Momentum Mono’s driving Wilson Alexia’s
    Source and Digital: Aurender N10, Brinkmann Nyquist MKII



  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Milford, MI
    Posts
    2,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sonore OpticalModule in da House!

    Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    There’s a few ways to skin the cat aside from all our variables.

    So is your network now in a better place with these benefits?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Absolutely it is better. Much quieter with greater detail.
    Jim

    D'Agostino Momentum M-400's & Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sonore OpticalModule in da House!

    Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    There’s a few ways to skin the cat aside from all our variables.

    So is your network now in a better place with these benefits?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mine sure is now that the OpticalModule and the SOtM UltraNeo are burning in nicely. Last night, I put my new Uptone Audio LPS-1.2 in to power the OM and that also made for quite a nice improvement: even quieter and more natural and open-sounding than the already excellent LPS-1. Nothing like a good power supply!

    After pulling everything out of the rack yesterday and re-dressing all the interconnects and power cables, I was playing around with Herbie's Audio Lab Tenderfeet Soft isolation footers today. I've had 'em for several years now supporting the board the E.A.R. 324 phono stage sits on. On a lark, I put 'em under the LPS-1.2 this evening. D*mned if it didn't bring a nice touch of improved focus, clarity, definition and ease to the presentation.

    Sterling Trayle, Hans Beekhuzen, and Caelin Gabriel are big proponents of the importance of mechanical as well as electrical grounding; I've known about this for some time, now and today's little experiment just provided ample proof.

    Cheers!

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    989
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sonore OpticalModule in da House!

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Mine sure is now that the OpticalModule and the SOtM UltraNeo are burning in nicely. Last night, I put my new Uptone Audio LPS-1.2 in to power the OM and that also made for quite a nice improvement: even quieter and more natural and open-sounding than the already excellent LPS-1. Nothing like a good power supply!

    After pulling everything out of the rack yesterday and re-dressing all the interconnects and power cables, I was playing around with Herbie's Audio Lab Tenderfeet Soft isolation footers today. I've had 'em for several years now supporting the board the E.A.R. 324 phono stage sits on. On a lark, I put 'em under the LPS-1.2 this evening. D*mned if it didn't bring a nice touch of improved focus, clarity, definition and ease to the presentation.

    Sterling Trayle, Hans Beekhuzen, and Caelin Gabriel are big proponents of the importance of mechanical as well as electrical grounding; I've known about this for some time, now and today's little experiment just provided ample proof.

    Cheers!
    I agree, and honestly don’t get how it just keeps getting better system wide with these added touches.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Power Conditioning, Filters & Switch: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX 105D, 20 AMP Dedicated w/Surge Protection, AQVox SE switch, Keces LPS P3 & P8 w/Nordost AC power and Ghent DC cables for the Gigafoil v4, modem, routers and switches.
    Cables, Isolation, Room Treatment: Nordost Supreme Reference (Odin) Distribution, Reference Line (Valhalla 2) Components and Speakers, HRS M3X Platforms & Damping Plates. Stillpoint’s Ultra 6/SS and Vicoustic Room Treatments
    Power & Sound: D’Agostino Pre-Amplifier to D’Agostino Momentum Mono’s driving Wilson Alexia’s
    Source and Digital: Aurender N10, Brinkmann Nyquist MKII



 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast