Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Misho Myronov tube wooden preamp!

Here's a new thread dedicated to one of the worlds best preamps.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Misho Myronov tube wooden preamp!

Deleted.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Deleted.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul

Looks fantastic Joe. Would love to hear it. I assume that it is only SE... how many inputs? Remote? (I assume not)...
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

Yes, only single ended, no remote (but getting used to that), three inputs and two outputs. The tubes are rated for c. 10,000 hours.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Well Joe

we are waiting for you to spill the beans on why this is one of the worlds best preamps
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Super Moderator

Ha!

Maybe Paul could check in but it is superb.

Dead quiet, layered, natural, sweet and clear, tremendous 3D, depth with live musical sounds.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Made specifically for horns or could it be part of any system?
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika

Super Moderator

It's lower gain (especially compared to the GAT2) but for any system.

Actually, if it had a remote, it would be the very best. I'm lazy.

NAD C 658 streamer.

How much $$ do they go for?

Super Moderator

When I got mine, it was a little less than $5K US. I know there’s probably a wait list and there might be a little price increase. Totally worth it.

You’d have to contact Misho to see how he wants to handle this going forward. I think he’s getting slammed with orders.
    Last edited by joeinid; June 5, 2019 at 09:24 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Glad you’re loving it, Joe. Simple look but serious sound (I’m sure).

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Super Moderator

Absolutely Sean.

I can’t use the GAT2 on half my amps because its gain is just way too high. The Misho preamp is probably one third the gain but exhibits all the great qualities of the GAT2, and then goes above and beyond.

NAD C 658 streamer.

https://youtu.be/AyEz486SWNo

Nothing like the real sound in person but at least you can feel the sound of Wooden projects. Misho Myronov tube wooden preamp!

Last edited by joeinid; June 5, 2019 at 10:56 PM.
    Paul

Super Moderator

Sounds great Paul.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Looks awesome. I am in the school of thought that a good pre-amp can make a system!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

In that school, Randy, you go straight to the head of the class.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Anxiously awaiting receipt of mine sometime around the end of this month/beginning of next month.

Thank you guys for a kind words.
    Really makes me happy!

Need it while working on a new amps for sure

Super Moderator

Excellent. Can’t wait for your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by adamaley View Post
    Anxiously awaiting receipt of mine sometime around the end of this month/beginning of next month.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

We are so happy you are getting the recognition you deserve.

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio-Antiquary View Post
    Really makes me happy!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Really makes me happy!

Joe told me how incredible the pre-amps and amps are. That tells me all I need to know.

Congratulations on some very fine products!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

Thank you Randy, it’s easy when they are this good.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Joe told me how incredible the pre-amps and amps are. That tells me all I need to know.

Congratulations on some very fine products!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Absolutely Sean.

I can’t use the GAT2 on half my amps because its gain is just way too high. The Misho preamp is probably one third the gain but exhibits all the great qualities of the GAT2, and then goes above and beyond.
    The low gain is one of the main reasons I'm looking to try the WoodenPreamp. I've recently tried a Coincident Statement Linestage in between my Lampizator Golden Gate 2 DAC and my Line Magnetic 508ia integrated amp. Unfortunately when one uses the 508ia strictly as an amp the preamp stage is not bypassed, which means the 6sn7s and 6sl7 are still in play. Coupled with the fact that my favorite output tube in the Golden Gate is the very high gain KR242, having the Coincident Linestage in between was a difficult affair. I liked a lot of what the Coincident added to the system - extra detail, deep, tight bass, increased solidity of images and deeper wider soundstage. At the bare minimum, I expect the same from the WoodenPreamp and hopefully a greater sense of ease and less forwardness with the lower gain. Anything beyond that will be icing on the cake.

I really hate when amplification is wasted. First - too much amplification, than - too much attenuation.
    The WoodenPre is designed to provide with the necessary amplification, but no more. With the headroom if needed.

Super Moderator

Obviously you know what you are doing.

As a bonus, especially for me, the Wooden preamp works superbly with my other amps as well.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Guys + Misho - can someone say what the gain is for the WoodenPreamp?

Super Moderator

I’m trying to find it, I think I was told but about 8-11 dB is about right.

I hope Misho responds with the right gain number.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Low gain - only 6 dB.
    In most of the cases it's more than enough - todays sources usually have a quite high output signal levels, and in most of the cases normal listening position of the attenuaror is around 7-8 oclock, which is simply a waste. Remember - attenuators are logarifmical.
    I have a version of a pre amp with more gain - when source level is low, and the power amp has low sensitivity. It's build around C3g tube.
    But it's hardly needed usually. Had build only two so far - one was a prototype, and second was build for a friend with a very complex setup with a wide variety of the amps.

So, c3m pre amp has a gain of 6 dB, high input impedance and low output impedance.

Perfect match for a modern sources and practically any power amplifier.

Super Moderator

Thank you so much.

For me, it’s perfect.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe,
    Do you get enough gain when you pair your SIT-3 with it?
    Joe

Main: Jay's Audio CDT2mk.2 transport & Audio Mirror tubadour III SE DAC, Lyra Kleos SL Cartridge, VPI Classic III with 3D tone arm, K&K Audio premium maxxed-out phonostage, Supratek Sauvignon (highly modded) Tube preamp, Coincident Speaker Tech 300b Frankenstein mk.2 mono blocks, First Watt SIT-3 amp, Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers, PurePower 1500+,PI Audio DigiBuss

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jbtrio View Post
    Joe,
    Absolutely. I’ll swap amp again tonight to confirm (it’ll be very late) but I’m not having any volume issues using my Misho Wooden preamp.

But don't forget my speakers are 107 dB efficient.
    Last edited by joeinid; June 14, 2019 at 06:56 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks for the reply! It is a beautiful looking preamp and must sound wonderful. Congrats and enjoy!

Joe
    Joe

Main: Jay's Audio CDT2mk.2 transport & Audio Mirror tubadour III SE DAC, Lyra Kleos SL Cartridge, VPI Classic III with 3D tone arm, K&K Audio premium maxxed-out phonostage, Supratek Sauvignon (highly modded) Tube preamp, Coincident Speaker Tech 300b Frankenstein mk.2 mono blocks, First Watt SIT-3 amp, Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers, PurePower 1500+,PI Audio DigiBuss

Super Moderator

Thank you so much!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Low gain - only 6 dB.
    In most of the cases it's more than enough - todays sources usually have a quite high output signal levels, and in most of the cases normal listening position of the attenuaror is around 7-8 oclock, which is simply a waste. Remember - attenuators are logarifmical.
    I have a version of a pre amp with more gain - when source level is low, and the power amp has low sensitivity. It's build around C3g tube.
    But it's hardly needed usually. Had build only two so far - one was a prototype, and second was build for a friend with a very complex setup with a wide variety of the amps.

So, c3m pre amp has a gain of 6 dB, high input impedance and low output impedance.

Perfect match for a modern sources and practically any power amplifier.
    All this sounds like music to my ears. My DAC has pretty high output voltage + KR242 output tubes' relatively high gain proving problematic using a 13DB of gain Coincident Statement Linestage. Even more reason to be excited to try out this preamp in my system.

All this sounds like music to my ears. My DAC has pretty high output voltage + KR242 output tubes' relatively high gain proving problematic using a 13DB of gain Coincident Statement Linestage. Even more reason to be excited to try out this preamp in my system.
    You will absolutely love it. I enjoy them with Lampi as well.
    Paul

Paul, which Lampi do you have and what tube complement are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Absolutely. I’ll swap amp again tonight to confirm (it’ll be very late) but I’m not having any volume issues using my Misho Wooden preamp.

But don't forget my speakers are 107 dB efficient.
    Joe, you might look out for a pair of used SIT-1s. I think they might impress moreso than even the 3. My good friend recently had all 3 SIT amps in for audition and said the 2 and 3 were good but more of the same, while the 1 was an entirely different league and special. He's a big SET amp fan, too. Ymmv.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Super Moderator

Thank you for the heads up Keith. I’ll keep an eye out for them.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Paul, which Lampi do you have and what tube complement are you using?
    Golden Atlantic KR5U4G with 4P1L
    Paul

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jbtrio View Post
    Joe,
    Gain with Misho Wooden preamp and SIT3 is more than adequate. This combo, which I am using now is truly outstanding.

NAD C 658 streamer.

My Wooden Preamp is in the mail enroute to me. In the meantime, I've been collecting some tubes for rolling since the EZ80 and EZ81 tube type still linger in down to earth environs. According to Misho, the EZ80 and EZ81 are interchangeable. I have the following incoming:

Marconi EZ81 U709
    Sylavania EZ81
    Sel Lorenz EZ80
    RFT EZ80

Has anyone else done some tube rolling, and did the rectifier tubes make much of a difference. Most of these are $25 and under so it may be worth the spin.

Btw, this site is a treasure trove of EZ80/81 recommendations.
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/woo-...393811/page-63

New pre amps 2019 year model.
    One of the pictured pre amps already had reached the US destination
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joeinid; July 24, 2019 at 03:44 PM.

Yes, the wood color of the one in the middle looks like mine. I'm burning it in slowly here.

So, what is everyone's opinion on breaking in a preamp as quickly as possible? I have been away traveling and got back yesterday night. Before leaving I snuck in some listening time, and it was immediately apparent that I was in the presence of a device of the utmost quiet. It's uncanny. Right off the bat, it showed itself to be a signigicantly better preamp than the Coincident Statement Linestage MkI with upgraded Psvane 101Ds. In every department, it was better.

While away, I had DAC playing into the preamp, but without the amp on (not sure if the preamp burns in without driving a load on the end of the signal). Upon returning yesterday, I had a couple of tube goodies to play with. The RFT EZ80, and Sylvania EZ81 - they both brought a noticeable change to proceedings, but the Mullard that comes with the preamp seems to be more balanced in my system. Granted, all these tubes + device need burning in. So far, the Sylvania is a midrange and meat purveyor. It renders the images in amazing 3D-like relief due to this charactestic, but it lacks in detail and bass texture and tightness. The RFT is detailed, yet presents a relatively flatter image. All in all, the Mullard gets things right across the board, and really showcases this preamp's capabilities.

My system comprises of a NAS connected to a Signature Rendu powered UltraRendu, Lampizator Golden Gate 2.5, Wooden Preamp, Line Magnetic 508ia. I feel the Wooden Preamp's contribution is of a higher delta than any other component in my system, and I still feel it's not completely settled in.

Complete silence, masterful separation of instruments and voices, complete solidity of every facet of the music with no loss of control enables the sort of layering I've never had in my system. Nuanced details are now a given. Misho, kudos to you. I'm so happy I took the gamble on this - it's so unlike me to do so, and I've been rewarded for it. I honestly feel that I will end up upgrading every other component before thinking about moving this preamp.

I still have a Marconi EZ81 and a Sel Lorenz EZ80 incoming to play with, and my understanding is that the Marconi may be the holy grail. Unfortunately, I take off this weekend as well so no listening till next week.

Super Moderator

Just listen while it's playing and enjoy it.

It's one of the finest pieces in the world. Why waste its life. It only gets better. It's superb!!!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Plus 1 ^

Also I wouldn’t do the tube rolling until it breaks in first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Paul

Can't help myself fellas. It's a fun ride.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Misho Myronov tube wooden preamp!