Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Optical Toslink?

Years ago, I used Optical cables in my Home Theater System well before High End Audio. Since that time, my appreciation of cabling has developed to the point of sickness. Anyway, many of us are aware of Optical filters from reading, writing, commenting about.

I started to wonder about the open Optical slot out of my Transport and the open optical in of my DAC.

I am going to do a test using an older Audioquest Optical cable. I have the ability to go back and forth toggling the input on the remote control between the Digital Coaxial cable and the Optical cable.

From my understanding, HDMI has taken over perhaps from a production standpoint as its more economical to use one cable versus two, but I would think that’s more related to the A/V portion of the industry. I recall Nordost used to make an Optical cable, and does not anymore, but not sure the reason, and I hear Audioquest Diamond is supposed to be the cats meow still in production.

I am wondering what the Optical Toslink connection will do in performance? Does it compare to the Gigafoil, TS Link and other systems that are out there?

Gonna still try it, but any comments?
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Re: Optical Toslink?

The only optical toslink cable I use these days is from my Panasonic Plasma tv to the NAD M12. I'm looking at replacing the Plasma this year to I think the Samsung Q90 which uses a toslink for audio out other than HDMI cable. I'll be interested in your findings.
    Speakers: Magico S3 (23')
    Integrated:Gryphon Diablo 300 plus DAC
    Streamer: HiFi Rose RS150b
    CD/DVD: Oppo 205
    Cables: Cardas-Shunyata-AudioQuest-Supra
    Roon Core: sonicTransporter i7 powered with HDPlex 200w linear PS, running AudioLinux for Roon--Tidal and Qobuz with iPad Pro

Time is just a tool humans created to measure movement and record events

To my understanding the various digital ins/outs aren't standard in quality across brands. For instance, one may say their AES/BU is best, one might say the coax etc.

I did an A/B between AES/BU and coaxial using same brand/series cables and found the AES/BU quite a bit better.

I just don't use optical, it will be interesting to see what you find.

As a side note HDMI has wider bandwidth, for audio, video, several channels of coding etc. I'd have to check to see the audio limits, if any, for optical or coax.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    I am wondering what the Optical Toslink connection will do in performance? Does it compare to the Gigafoil, TS Link and other systems that are out there?
    In a typical traditional DAC implementation S/PDIF clock is slaved to the source and is susceptible to interference, which is the reason why different digital cables sound different. Optical conversion adds jitter, therefore traditionally audiophiles have found that AES and coaxial usually sound better than Toslink. (Exception: Some DAC designers claim they have perfected their DAC reclocking and therefore suggest toslink over other inputs.) Optical network (which I think is good as reflected in our flagship product and adopted by another manufacturer recently) has different considerations because at least in theory, jitter does not matter for packetized audio to be played by a network DAC using its own clock.

By the way, some audiophiles prefer glass toslink cable to plastic toslink cable.

HDMI audio is inherently disadvantaged for 2-channel audio playback due to its clock design. Not talking about I2S over HDMI, which is a completely different thing.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Well this was a waste of time, and I knew better but could not help myself.

The optical cable I used was the Optilink1 from Audioquest, and this by no way could hold any ground against my current Coaxial cable, but I was more interested if it had any remnants of the Optical Filter I am using.

WKLIE - Peter, thanks for the input. You have more experience than I do being a part of the industry, but I still can’t help think if the Audioquest Vodka or Diamond may change things up, my DAC is no slouch. I will be stupid and source the Vodka out of curiosity in the upcoming weeks.
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    The optical cable I used was the Optilink1 from Audioquest, and this by no way could hold any ground against my current Coaxial cable, but I was more interested if it had any remnants of the Optical Filter I am using.
    Regardless of what toslink cable you're using, if you feel that coaxial sounds better obviously, I'd guess that no toslink cable upgrade will change the result.

I hope you can return the cable in case you are not satisfied with it.

Have you tried AES? In many setup it's much more promising.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

If you are going with optical, I would recommend LIFATEC

http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

Good luck with your search!

2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Regardless of what toslink cable you're using, if you feel that coaxial sounds better obviously, I'd guess that no toslink cable upgrade will change the result.

I hope you can return the cable in case you are not satisfied with it.

Have you tried AES? In many setup it's much more promising.
    In the current setup, Coaxial sounds better, but the cable I have a handful of these in a drawer that must be 10 years old, and not up to spec so I am thinking, so taking it back to the drawer is no issue Optical Toslink?

The DACs AES input is connected with the Aurender.

Note, this exercise is me just being curious and playing around to see if one could get the same results from Toslink after hearing the results of an Optical filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil View Post

Good luck with your search!

Thanks Nikhil, I’ll check them out. It’s an assumption but I’m guessing you have experience with this maker?

Glass.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Did you disconnect the coax cable while testing the TosLink optical one ?

One of the advantages of the optical cable comes from the galvanic isolation it offers vs electrical cables (be it coax or AES). When you keep your coax plugged in, you keep the ground connection between your transport and DAC, basicly stripping the TosLink cable from this technical advantage.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Optical Toslink?

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Did you disconnect the coax cable while testing the TosLink optical one ?

One of the advantages of the optical cable comes from the galvanic isolation it offers vs electrical cables (be it coax or AES). When you keep your coax plugged in, you keep the ground connection between your transport and DAC, basicly stripping the TosLink cable from this technical advantage.
    No I did not, I was A/B connections using the DAC remote.

I will disconnect tonight and try again ad listen to what happens, thanks for the reply and tip!

+1 !!!

i used this cable in a prior system configuration with great results. still use it as a secondary input.

absolutely the highest quality optical cable on the market... pretty much twice the specs at half the cost of other glass optical audio cables i was able to discover: 470(!) optical glass (borosilicate) fibers with each fiber end polished to a 1 micron optical finish (as opposed to fitting a lens over the bundle end as in other cables). a three foot cable is $119.
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | almarro a318b + air tight atc-5 (phono) | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    +1 !!!

i used this cable in a prior system configuration with great results. still use it as a secondary input.

absolutely the highest quality optical cable on the market... pretty much twice the specs at half the cost of other glass optical audio cables i was able to discover: 470(!) optical glass (borosilicate) fibers with each fiber end polished to a 1 micron optical finish (as opposed to fitting a lens over the bundle end as in other cables). a three foot cable is $119.
    Darn it, I’ll buy it to check out of curiosity but still compare to the Audioquest Vodka, maybe Diamond, I’ll leave it up to Suncoast Mike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Optical Toslink?

I satisfied my curiosity, and ordered a 1M Lifatec, it arrived in 3 days, very fast. The purpose was two fold:

- learn a bit more about optical and why one is better than the other
    - free up the Digital out on the Transport where my Nordost QKore grounding cable works slightly better.

Lifatec constructs a nice USA built cable, but it gave me no dynamics for my 2 Channel High End Audio System in comparison to the Digital Coaxial it was to challenge, so no gain in knowledge other than Toslink takes a step back to other connections and back to the Analog Out for the Nordost grounding cable.

No Harm, No Foul, Thanks Everyone for the recommendation!

Ditto. I had one arrive about two weeks ago. I was comparing to a 280 strand glass fiber cable that was under $30 (from an out of business company) that I always felt was pretty good. I didn't find that the Lifatec really brought much to the table performance-wise, in comparison to what I have. But in terms of handling, finishing, and performance for an optical cable, it's very nice. I'm going to return the one I purchased but if I needed an optical cable, I'd pick up another one.
    I still wonder what the Audioquest Diamond's performance is like at $600 for a 1.5m length, though.
    Christian

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest & Iconoclast interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D-10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables

Quote Originally Posted by Rnrmf View Post
    Ditto. I had one arrive about two weeks ago. I was comparing to a 280 strand glass fiber cable that was under $30 (from an out of business company) that I always felt was pretty good. I didn't find that the Lifatec really brought much to the table performance-wise, in comparison to what I have. But in terms of handling, finishing, and performance for an optical cable, it's very nice. I'm going to return the one I purchased but if I needed an optical cable, I'd pick up another one.
    I still wonder what the Audioquest Diamond's performance is like at $600 for a 1.5m length, though.
    I’ll admit, I do as well but gonna put this on the back burner for now.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Optical Toslink?