Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Audiophile Wall Outlets

I currently have some AQ NRG wall outlets for my A/V gear, but I'm getting ready to add a couple more to my house...

I'm looking at the Synergistic Research Blue, and a few others.

Are there any opinions out there regarding best in class for wall outlets? I know this is one of those subjects that comes up on forums quite a bit, but I'm not really seeing any recent discussions out there, so I thought I would fire up a new thread to see if there are any opinions or new products worth considering.

Thanks!
    Jeremy

Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Power Amp: VAC 200iQ (stereo)
    Source/DAC/Preamplifier: MSB Reference DAC (Femto 77 / Dual Powerbase)
    Power: Shunyata Triton V3 / Shunyata Typhon QR / AQ NRG 20 Outlet / Dedicated 20 amp circuit
    -------------
    Power Cables: AQ Dragons to components / AQ Hurricane to Typhon QR
    Speaker Cables: MIT Heritage MI 2C3D - Level 1
    Interconnects: MIT Heritage MI 2C3D - Level 1 (XLR)
    Ethernet: AQ Vodka > Aqvox SE > AQ Diamond > MSB Reference DAC
    Racks: Critical Mass Sotto Voce with Black Platinum shelves

Re: Audiophile Wall Outlets

I have the Shunyata SR-Z1, but I installed them on new dedicated circuits. So, I can’t comment as to any difference and/or improvement. I wish they would sell the outlets in the Triton V3 as separate items.

https://shunyata.com/view-accessories/
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by steinkrieg View Post
    I currently have some AQ NRG wall outlets for my A/V gear, but I'm getting ready to add a couple more to my house...

Are there any opinions out there regarding best in class for wall outlets? I know this is one of those subjects that comes up on forums quite a bit, but I'm not really seeing any recent discussions out there, so I thought I would fire up a new thread to see if there are any opinions or new products worth considering.

Thanks!
    No change, highly love the Furutech GTX D NCF with plate and cover for HiFi Audio and love when power cables with NCF termination plugs are used.

I’ve had decent improvement with PS Audio and Shunyata outlets for other rooms in the home, circuits on the main home panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

I’ve installed “audiophile” wall outlets in two different rooms.

In one there’s a SINE brand model SW-2LP. It was advertised as a “Hi-End Grade Cyro Platinum Duplex Receptacle (US 15A)”. The “Cyro” bit was an eye opener. SINE we are told uses a low freezing process at -196 degrees Celsius (Cryogenic) to “re-structure metal molecules and increase conductivity, thus allowing electric currents to flow through smoothly”. How cool I thought. That’s got to be worth the $100 I paid for it.

In another there’s an FIM [First Impression Music] model 880 outlet together with a non-magnetic stainless steel cover plate which were purchased years back from Galen Carol Audio (Texas, USA).

Protagonists believe that ‘audiophile wall sockets’ which typically omit switches and proffer thick casings and faceplates said to assist in isolating it for RF and EMI interruption and large internal contacts to better secure plug grip – logically lead to increased conductivity and superior sonics?

Antagonists on the other hand scoff at the notion of ‘superior sonics’ via ‘audiophile wall sockets’ placing such perceptions down to psychological factors. Power is after all power and so long as it is reaching the appliance satisfactorily – then any notion of ‘superior sonics’ should be treated as being due to psychological bias. In other words, our audio reproduction sounds better through an ‘audiophile wall socket’ for no other reason than we expect it to.

My position on the matter from a sonic perspective is undetermined. I nonetheless think the purchases worthwhile because electrical sockets – particularly old ones – are not something I want to leave to chance. I’ve witnessed first-hand how old or low cost wall power outlets typically don’t afford much contact pressure on power cables, especially if you are employing audiophile power cables which tend to be bulky, rigid and stiff and can generate a fair amount of resistance strain. Versus run of the mill outlets, the FIM outlet mentioned above offers greater contact pressure, increased contact surface area, higher copper content contacts and less resonant housing – all of which at a minimum is a source of comfort.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Do NOT 'cyro' an AC receptacle or breaker! It will void the 'UL' listing and may damage the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    Do NOT 'cyro' an AC receptacle or breaker! It will void the 'UL' listing and may damage the unit.
    The cryo bit as mentioned was a bit of an eye opener.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by steinkrieg View Post

Thanks!
    I have a Synergistic Research Blue receptacle right next to a Furutech GTX-D (non-NCF) receptacle in the same duplex. The Blue is the decisive winner in my setup.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

I went with AQ Edison as I’m running an AQ power cable to my conditioner. It’s a very difficult item to test and I assumed that the AQ would be well built as most of their products are.
    Morgan

NEW SYSTEM UNDER CONSTRUCTION

A friend gifted me a couple of wall outlets sold by PS Audio (not sure if they make them). I used them when I installed dedicated lines to my amps. I really cannot tell if they make a difference other than it is harder to plug/unplug the cord.

I have 4 dedicated 20A lines in my music room. All have the Shunyata wall outlets. Have never done a comparison to regular outlets. I’m very happy with the room and sound.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Agree with ultrafast69. Furutech NCF, outlets and power cords....
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Audiophile Wall Outlets