Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Compare And Contrast The Pass INT 60 With The Luxman 509x...

...Can anyone familiar with these amps compare them? I'm not sure if the Luxman 509x is closer to the INT 60 or INT 250? But I would like to hear your opinions on how these amps compare. Thank you!

Re: Compare And Contrast The Pass INT 60 With The Luxman 509x...

What speakers?

Audioshark

Luxman 509x = sweet and toe tapping musical.

Pass INT-60 = warmer, richer. Engaging as well.

Really depends on speakers. For Harbeth? Luxman.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    What speakers?
    Oops! Forgot that rather important component...Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary Edition

Thanks, Mike! Appreciate the advice. I'm finding it's pretty hard to beat the Luxman/Harbeth combination.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Thanks, Mike! Appreciate the advice. I'm finding it's pretty hard to beat the Luxman/Harbeth combination.
    Me too. Plus the Luxman has a built in Phonostage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

That phono stage on the Luxman could come in handy. I've had a (late '80s, early '90s) Technics DD33 direct drive automatic TT in our basement store room for almost 20 years just gathering dust. It was given to me by my sister after her husband passed away suddenly. They had purchased a new audio system from Best Buy. Besides the TT they also purchased a Technics receiver and CD changer, and Infinity bookshelf speakers. All the components except the TT were sold at an auction. The TT is dusty but in mint condition. It has barely been used.

I know it might not sound as good as the current crop of high end TTs and it might need a cartridge upgrade. But it also might sound pretty good. Unfortunately, under pressure from my wife to create more room in our small-ish house, I got rid of a large vinyl collection several years ago. Even had some direct to disc jazz LPs. It was one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made. At least as it pertains to high end audio.

Anyway, what's done is done. I wasn't into high end audio at the time. And TTs were on the way out.....I thought. And I didn't want to get caught with a bunch of "worthless vinyl".

But I digress.....I do wonder if any mods can be made to the TT to improve it? Perhaps a cartridge upgrade would boost the performance some? Maybe I would just be money ahead by purchasing a new TT? I really don't know. Right now I don't have a single vinyl record to play on the TT. But that's easily remedied. Just a trip or two to a local pawn shop or record store should suffice. But, yeah, the phono stage would come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Luxman 509x = sweet and toe tapping musical.

Pass INT-60 = warmer, richer. Engaging as well.

Really depends on speakers. For Harbeth? Luxman.
    Fully agree. I have had both side by side with my Magicos. The Luxman has less of a colored sound than the Pass Int-60 and I would rank it a notch above overall.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Thank you, Larry. That response is very consistent with others I've read. I'm making final decisions on components for my new system and I pretty much have things narrowed down. That Luxman/Harbeth combination is going to be very hard to beat...unless something new comes along before the first of the year. That's when I order the rest of my system. But, for now, it looks like Luxman and Harbeth. Just thinking of this system makes my mouth water.

There are just so many outstanding choices for components you really have to do your research. I've looked at countless choices and combinations and I keep coming back to these two for my particular application. I just wish I had the time and money to drive to fifty different audio shops and listen to everything they have. There was a time you could do just that. Most towns of any size had audio stores. Even many of the the big towns might only have one or two these days. And a lot of big towns have none. The closest audio store to me is an hour and a half. Not too bad. But the next closest true high end audio shop (not HT store) is four and a half hours from where I live. But the research is half the fun. I'm really enjoying it.

And I have to say both "Mikes" at Suncoast have been extremely helpful. Huge thanks to both of them. I was an avid, true audiophile in the late '70s but haven't been one since. So they've had to put up with a lot of very basic newb questions, not only about audio but digital too. I still have a lot to learn to get "up to speed" but with the help of a lot of people on this forum I'm slowly getting there. Thank you, everyone, for your help.

if you wanted to integrate the AV system with theatre bypass , you would find it difficult . the luxman has at least that facility i believe

ithe luxman is a bit easy to lift and handle , dont fancy the sharp fins on the pass integrated
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

how do folks find the remote on the luxman ? i do like an accurate easy to use remote . there is a 8 week old 509x a few miles from me and every so often it just calls out to me...........
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Quote Originally Posted by Dguitarnut View Post
    Fully agree. I have had both side by side with my Magicos. The Luxman has less of a colored sound than the Pass Int-60 and I would rank it a notch above overall.
    Hi Larry, how would you compare Luxman 509x vs. Diablo 300 on Magico? Wondering if you did have that chance. TIA.

The Diablo 300 was a more live presentation with amazing detail. The Luxman was a more of a hi-fi presentation. The Magicos speed and resolution were showcased better by the Gryphon Diablos IMO.
    Matter of taste really.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

I would guess the Diablo 120 would be a better comparison for the Luxman 509x as they're much more similar in price vs the Diablo 300. However, from what I've read the 509x swings above it's weight, so maybe it's competitive with the Diablo 300, I don't know? I'm leaning toward the Luxman 509x as it's reportedly a great match up with the Harbeth Super HL 5+ Anniversary speakers I ordered. They're being made as we speak. But I would not necessarily rule the Diablo 120 out. I know Mike highly recommends the Luxman/Harbeth pairing...right Mike?

Stick with the Luxman. If Mike had thought the Diablo's were a better match he would have told you so.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    I would guess the Diablo 120 would be a better comparison for the Luxman 509x as they're much more similar in price vs the Diablo 300. However, from what I've read the 509x swings above it's weight, so maybe it's competitive with the Diablo 300, I don't know? I'm leaning toward the Luxman 509x as it's reportedly a great match up with the Harbeth Super HL 5+ Anniversary speakers I ordered. They're being made as we speak. But I would not necessarily rule the Diablo 120 out. I know Mike highly recommends the Luxman/Harbeth pairing...right Mike?
    Right. The Luxman synergy with Harbeth is excellent.

There ya go! Er, there I go.

I have a feeling the Pass INT-250 would be much better than Int-60 and possibly even the L-509x depending on speakers.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Compare And Contrast The Pass INT 60 With The Luxman 509x...